Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I remember in the original Battlefront there was an award called "Bantha Fodder" and I did not know what that meant until uhhh just now, when I googled it to find out the name of the award & then googled what a Bantha is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Wrong thread!!!

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Oct 30, 2016

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

K. Waste posted:

Someone asked about punk rock cinema before, and I'd nominate Mad Ron's Prevues from Hell as another contender. Also, Robert Nelson's Oh Dem Watermelons (1965), but in a Nuggets/proto-punk kinda way: http://ubu.com/film/nelson_watermelons.html

Wrong thread but hell, I appreciate it

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Hat Thoughts posted:

Wrong thread but hell, I appreciate it

Zounds!!!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

UmOk posted:

Glad I'm not the only one who saw the humor in that. Star wars thread is so weird.

Earlier in the thread, I wrote:

"The most basic message of all the Star Wars films is that being ethical is incredibly difficult. It's so difficult that Yoda hasn't figured it out, after hundreds of years of meditation. Even Luke messes it up at the end, unless we interpret things very carefully."

Carelessness is something to be avoided. I laid out a very clearly-worded definition of feudalism and explained how the imagery in the films fits that definition:

"Star Wars is about a return to a pre-capitalist 'fetishism in relations between men' - an intersubjective relationship between the crown and the subjects that leads to the belief that 'kingship' is a natural quality that some possess." When systematized as a form of government, this is feudalism - where, according to Samuel Freeman, “the elements of political authority are powers that are held personally by individuals, not by enduring political institutions… subjects’ political obligations and allegiances are voluntary and personal: They arise out of private contractual obligations and are owed to particular persons." These contractual obligations are based on the aforementioned system of loyalty-norms - those intersubjective relationships.

Now, nobody currently reacting to my posts about feudalism is actually responding to what I wrote above. Cnut included. In the Empire, power is held by the state.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Now, nobody currently reacting to my posts about feudalism is actually responding to what I wrote above. Cnut included. In the Empire, power is held by the state.

Maybe because it's not interesting?

You need to be careful.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

UmOk posted:

Maybe because it's not interesting?

People have been responding for around three pages now. The question is the quality of the responses.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

In the Empire, power is held by the state.

"I am the state." - Emperor Binks I

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Canon is pretty funny to discuss.

For example, what is the lady in white's name?

It's Mon Mothma, obviously, and she's about to tell us about how many bothans died to get the plans for the second Death Star.

But her name isn't actually used in Return of the Jedi. It is mentioned once in Revenge of the Sith, and she's in the Clone Wars cartoon, but those came out over 20 years later. So, during that interregnum, what counts as good enough evidence that her name was Mon Mothma?

The ending credits, which aren't a part of the narrative? The shooting script, which isn't part of the film at all?

Trading cards?

Action figures?

Signed photos from the actress herself?

I would submit that, rather than worrying if we have to accept that Art Carney is a member of the Rebel Alliance if we also want Chewbacca to have a family, it doesn't actually matter where the information comes from, provided it makes for a better and more interesting story, and a more rewarding experience interacting with the film. Sometimes it's trivia, sometimes it makes a big difference, and sometimes it's meaningless.

You bet your rear end Art Carney is canon.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The real point of Mon Mothma going unnamed is that her name doesn't matter. She's just there to visualize the fact that someone has taken over Leia's role from the end of A New Hope while Leia is doing the guerrilla thing.

It's similar to the various queens of Naboo we see after Padme leaves to become a senator. The individual characters change, but the institution keeps chugging along.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The institution is higher than thw individual. Collectivism! Star Wars is communist!

I wish

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

You bet your rear end Art Carney is canon.

Sadly, the Holiday Special overall is Legends. But Harvey-Korman-in-drag's character got a shout-out in a Canon book :)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

jivjov posted:

Sadly, the Holiday Special overall is Legends. But Harvey-Korman-in-drag's character got a shout-out in a Canon book :)

With a reference to Bantha Surprise, one hopes.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

With a reference to Bantha Surprise, one hopes.

Sadly not; it was in that Tales From A Galaxy Far Far Away short story collection, and there was a cooking competition happening in Maz's castle. Someone namedropped Chef Gormaanda as being an inspiration for getting into the culinary arts.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

Phi230 posted:

The institution is higher than thw individual. Collectivism! Star Wars is communist!

I wish

Crazy how you come so close, Tezz. Crazy.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Can everyone in the thread just be careful.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

rear end Catchcum posted:

Can everyone in the thread just be careful.

You'll be dead!

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

These little ones aren't worth the effort.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Earlier in the thread, I wrote:

"The most basic message of all the Star Wars films is that being ethical is incredibly difficult. It's so difficult that Yoda hasn't figured it out, after hundreds of years of meditation. Even Luke messes it up at the end, unless we interpret things very carefully."

Carelessness is something to be avoided. I laid out a very clearly-worded definition of feudalism and explained how the imagery in the films fits that definition:

"Star Wars is about a return to a pre-capitalist 'fetishism in relations between men' - an intersubjective relationship between the crown and the subjects that leads to the belief that 'kingship' is a natural quality that some possess." When systematized as a form of government, this is feudalism - where, according to Samuel Freeman, “the elements of political authority are powers that are held personally by individuals, not by enduring political institutions… subjects’ political obligations and allegiances are voluntary and personal: They arise out of private contractual obligations and are owed to particular persons." These contractual obligations are based on the aforementioned system of loyalty-norms - those intersubjective relationships.

To say that this is feudalism though is simply a misuse of terms. Feudalism is a political system of monarchy which is very specific to Europe in particular centuries. Kingship being a natural quality that some possess did not originate in feudalism - it goes way way back. The way The Empire looks and behaves in the original trilogy reminds me more of the Roman Empire than it does medieval feudalism. This also helps us understand why Lucas wanted to explore a story of Republic -> Empire, much as what happened in Rome.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
ANH the Emperor dissolves the senate. So, now we have to conclude that the Emperor is the state to make smg's point stick or find that the Empire wasn't the state and a different form of ruler-ship.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
The best part of Mon Mothma is the scheme that produces more names like it.

Bel Bettleba
Ken Keyku
Laq Lamplo
Stim Sticksta
Pos Pondpi

You can make some baller names with this poo poo.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
A supplement for one of the RPGs had the suggestion of coming up with Star Warsy names by taking syllables and fragments of consecutive words.

So, "naming characters" gives you Ming Harac, interstellar con artist.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CountFosco posted:

To say that this is feudalism though is simply a misuse of terms.

How.

Also lol at people denying feudalism in a movie inspired by Feudal Japan.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I wonder what's with General Hux's teeth:

He appears to have too many teeth on his lower jaw. Either Gleeson is a mutant or they CGI'd them in, if so - why?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Seems pretty normal to me?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Normally there are 4 teeth between fangs, not 6

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

dumb and kinda scared posted:

Normally there are 4 teeth between fangs, not 6

...so, Hux is perfectly normal, then?

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Freakazoid_ posted:

The best part of Mon Mothma is the scheme that produces more names like it.

Bel Bettleba
Ken Keyku
Laq Lamplo
Stim Sticksta
Pos Pondpi

You can make some baller names with this poo poo.

More importantly, all three elements of her name suggest the word "Mother." She's the pure, angelic mother of the Rebellion, presented in opposition to the Emperor, the decrepit, rotting father of the Empire. The victory of the Rebels over the Empire suggests a reintroduction of femininity and motherhood into the galaxy--something which died out with the death of Padme and the birth of Vader.

Pursuant to that last part--note how at the end of Episode III the soft, bright, smooth PT aesthetic consciously gives way to the dark, hard, sharp-edged OT aesthetic, punctuated by an image of a broken and mutilated corpse being encircled and consumed by the sigil of the Empire:

It's a brilliant use of contrasting aesthetics and imagery to convey a meaningful, sweeping narrative beyond the level of straightforward plot and dialogue.

dumb and kinda scared posted:

I wonder what's with General Hux's teeth:

He appears to have too many teeth on his lower jaw. Either Gleeson is a mutant or they CGI'd them in, if so - why?

Don't try to make sense of the dentistry of a British man.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Nov 1, 2016

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Cnut the Great posted:

Don't try to make sense of the dentistry of a British man.

Noted.

He's Irish though.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Captain Splendid posted:

Noted.

He's Irish though.

What's he doing playing an Imperial, then? That's Brit-face.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cnut the Great posted:

What's he doing playing an Imperial, then? That's Brit-face.

"Close enough!" - JJ Abrams

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

How.

Also lol at people denying feudalism in a movie inspired by Feudal Japan.

Don't deny the galactic senate

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
2 dudes fight like samurai therefore the whole movie is feudalist despite no other evidence

I am yet unconvinced.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Phi230 posted:

2 dudes fight like samurai therefore the whole movie is feudalist despite no other evidence

I am yet unconvinced.

Would you accept "medievalism"? "Chivalry" might even be better, if we think of the ships as horses. A princess, knights with swords fighting to retake the center of their world, a dual duty to both the nobility and to causes?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

homullus posted:

Would you accept "medievalism"? "Chivalry" might even be better, if we think of the ships as horses. A princess, knights with swords fighting to retake the center of their world, a dual duty to both the nobility and to causes?

yes i accept these

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

homullus posted:

The problem with this is that the knights and princesses are fighting to restore republican democracy. The medievalist and chivalric imagery is just romantic ornamentation which has little to no bearing on the larger political message. The films encourage the emulation of the qualities of legendary knights and princesses on the level of the individual, but not necessarily on the level of society.

The Romantic art of the 18th century was very similarly medievalist in its sensibilities, and yet it was nonetheless associated with movements promoting stridently democratic political ideals. It's not surprising that the Star Wars films would mimic the Romantic art movement in this way, being that they too were a reaction against a culture that had (to some views) become emotionally sterile and technologically obsessed.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Nov 1, 2016

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Cnut the Great posted:

The problem with this is that the knights and princesses are fighting to restore republican democracy. The medievalist and chivalric imagery is just romantic ornamentation which has little to no bearing on the larger political message. The films encourage the emulation of the qualities of legendary knights and princesses on the level of the individual, but not necessarily on the level of society.

The Romantic art of the 18th century was very similarly medievalist in its sensibilities, and yet it was nonetheless associated with movements promoting stridently democratic political ideals. It's not surprising that the Star Wars films would mimic the Romantic art movement in this way, being that they too were a reaction against a culture that had (to some views) become emotionally sterile and technologically obsessed.

I am not sure this is defensible without the PT to illustrate these democratic ideals. There is a "republic" and there was a senate right up until news broke on the Death Star that the Emperor had dissolved it. There is no evidence that Leia is an elected princess. The entirety of ANH is a still-painful nostalgia for the old ways, before technology made things less humanistic. Knights protected the realm and defended the princess; this, and the Crusade, are what draws Luke to be trained as a knight. He (like his father before him) is apolitical and ultimately a tool of the ruling elite.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I call bullshit, Phi230 isn't tezzor, he's way too reasonable!

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

I call bullshit, Phi230 isn't tezzor, he's way too reasonable!

Shh! I am enjoying the tezzor who talks about the films rather than the people who love, hate, or make the films, don't spoil it. We can ride this wave of actual discussion all the way to Rogue One.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

homullus posted:

I am not sure this is defensible without the PT to illustrate these democratic ideals. There is a "republic" and there was a senate right up until news broke on the Death Star that the Emperor had dissolved it. There is no evidence that Leia is an elected princess. The entirety of ANH is a still-painful nostalgia for the old ways, before technology made things less humanistic. Knights protected the realm and defended the princess; this, and the Crusade, are what draws Luke to be trained as a knight. He (like his father before him) is apolitical and ultimately a tool of the ruling elite.

The visual design and imagery of the two major political factions of the OT alone makes it clear that it's a battle between autocratic totalitarianism and democratic self-determination. The Special Edition changes to the end of ROTJ drive this point home even further, so hard that it can't possibly be missed.

Is this going to become an argument about whether the Rebel Alliance was actually even an Alliance to Restore the Republic in the first place, simply because it wasn't stated in the movie? That'll be fun.

And the prequels do exist, so I don't see what the point is in ignoring them.

Also, for the record, Leia isn't an elected princess. She's an elected senator. Or else she was, up until the point it was dissolved....by the anti-democratic monarch who she's fighting to overthrow. But apparently the fact that the Senate was dissolved by the villain specifically because of its connection to Princes Leia and the Rebels is somehow evidence that is has no meaningful connection to the reasons Princess Leia and the Rebels are fighting?

• Locked thread