Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

TERMINAL SONICITUS posted:

Does anyone know if Bomberman R is up for pre-order yet? I looked for it and it doesn't seem available anywhere.

they haven't even revealed price yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Oh wait, Bomberman R has online?

Well, I guess I absolutely need to preorder a Switch now.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

TFRazorsaw posted:

they haven't even revealed price yet

Seems like $30 is a fair price for a Bomberman game, so I look forward to this costing $60 as per Switch pricing policy.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

why pre-order? just get it digitally or after launch? it's not like fuckin Bomberman is gonna sell out

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Knack sold out. Launches are weird

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

well why not posted:

why pre-order? just get it digitally or after launch? it's not like fuckin Bomberman is gonna sell out

Given the launch lineup, it might.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Bomberman is the new minecraft, you heard it here first

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Fulchrum posted:

Yeah,it sure was revolutionary the way they ripped off a game that came out 7 years earlier.

Now we get to the part where people try to claim LittleBigPlanet was totally not special or innovative, but doing the same thing with a Mario skin is the REAL revolutionary idea.

This is peak Deak right here. What on earth are you talking about? Aside from being able to build things in both games they are nothing alike. Unless you think Trials ripped off LBP or LBP ripped off Lego or any other building game is the same as any other.

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Fulchrum posted:

he says about a game that doesn't even have loving voice chat.

And I notice that the people who keep saying how great Splatoon is are the ones who keep making GBS threads on Overwatch, which is another thing that makes me think Splatoon is a garbage game only garbage people like.

Splatoons gameplay is way more interesting than blizzards neutered tf2 with overpowered abilities with long cool downs. Splatoons weapon variety is near unreal tournament levels, compared to limited styles overwatch characters have. Mobility in splatoon is way more interesting, and in alot of cases keep the game from developing hallways of death, which overwatch honestly seems designed to create.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Splatoon and Overwatch are good games and I enjoy playing them both.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Andrast posted:

Splatoon and Overwatch are good games and I enjoy playing them both.

This checks out!

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Fulchrum posted:

And I notice that the people who keep saying how great Splatoon is are the ones who keep making GBS threads on Overwatch, which is another thing that makes me think Splatoon is a garbage game only garbage people like.

C'mon!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Fulchrum posted:

Yeah,it sure was revolutionary the way they ripped off a game that came out 7 years earlier.

Now we get to the part where people try to claim LittleBigPlanet was totally not special or innovative, but doing the same thing with a Mario skin is the REAL revolutionary idea.

These are weird things to be upset about.

LittleBigPlanet is its own thing.
Mario Maker is its own thing.
They do stage creation, but they do so very differently. I don't think I've seen LittleBigPlanet mentioned or bad mouthed in this thread before you mentioned it, or Mario Maker in this context.

I think Nintendo wanted to tap into the romhack market that has long surrounded their games, particularly Mario, to produce something easy and simplistic anyone can do.

quote:

Its amazing how the most incredible Zelda game ever made is basically Skyrim with only 4 dungeons, a stupid plot, no smithing, and voice acting even below what Bethesda do.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, so why is it a bad thing that the Zelda team looked at popular games of the same genre and did their own spin on them?

Look at some of the original artwork for the NES version of Zelda 1 and how it compares to BotW. This is definitely something the Nintendo crew have wanted to do for a very very long time, so borrowing ideas from genres that the Zelda series helped inspire is no bad thing.

quote:

Oh, and, I seem to recall that attitude of "You need to buy Nintendo games you sheep, buy this console" being the selling point for something else, what was it...oh, right, the WiiU.

That's the same of any console thought mate.

Every console has that one or two games that are considered 'killer apps' and worth the expense of a console for the game alone.
Hell I even gave you examples for the PS4 and Xbone without being a facetious poo poo about it.

quote:

And I notice that the people who keep saying how great Splatoon is are the ones who keep making GBS threads on Overwatch, which is another thing that makes me think Splatoon is a garbage game only garbage people like

Because "Suck my cock you aids infested oval office-refuse" is def something that Nintendo want to hear coming out of game 10 year olds will be playing.

Splatoon is pretty great. Overwatch is pretty great.
Good games are pretty great.

y u gotta be an rear end in a top hat?
You seem very upset about VIDEO GAYMES

Anidav posted:

Hello friends. I have a Press Release about Bomberman.

Confirms Online Battles, 50 mission story mode, voice acting.....PHOTO REALISTIC GRAPHICS.

This is cool and good and I plan on destroying you Queensland scum.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

VideoGames posted:

Will you really need above 128gb for a while? I have a 16GB in my 3DS and that's not even halfway full with a ton of games.

I have over 2 TB for my Xbox One and it's over 50% full. Of course, I get 4 free games a month from them, so that adds up. But yeah, HD games aren't really comparable to 3DS games.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I could be excited about the magic and splendour of that is video games and discussing all the cool and exciting things that ignite your passion of being a gamer

OR I COULD TELL YOU WHAT A loving SLAP IN THE FACE THIS poo poo IS

Seriously man. If you want to bad mouth the Switch there are absolutely a bunch of things I don't agree with in regards to how Nintendo have handled them, but don't be a crazy rear end psycho oval office for the sake of being that shitnugget that goes gently caress NINTENDO

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Okay everyone calm down, I have important news.

Callie is still gonna be in Splatoon 2.

I'm sure this will cause you all to re-evaluate your Switch purchases for the positive and change your entire outlook on gaming.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

thexerox123 posted:

I have over 2 TB for my Xbox One and it's over 50% full. Of course, I get 4 free games a month from them, so that adds up. But yeah, HD games aren't really comparable to 3DS games.

Absolutely, but I don't feel like Switch games are going to be HD games in the same way as the PS4/Xbox One. They are huge because they are bluray like. I'm wondering what the size of the game cards is going to be around.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Anidav posted:

Hello friends. I have a Press Release about Bomberman.

Confirms Online Battles, 50 mission story mode, voice acting.....PHOTO REALISTIC GRAPHICS.

It's true that is exactly what Bomberman looks like in real life. Glad I was wrong about online.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

VideoGames posted:

Absolutely, but I don't feel like Switch games are going to be HD games in the same way as the PS4/Xbox One. They are huge because they are bluray like. I'm wondering what the size of the game cards is going to be around.

A big part of why CoD titles, for example, are so fuckhuge is that the A-list actors whose voices are featured have crazy contracts that say their voice recordings have to be completely uncompressed, IIRC.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Wall Street Journal has an interview with Switch architects. Paywalled, so ask your rich stock broker dad.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

fuckin lol then

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
the nintendo siwtch doubles as the world's tiniest mansion

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Rexroom posted:

Wall Street Journal has an interview with Switch architects. Paywalled, so ask your rich stock broker dad.

Nintendo Switch, only for the 1%.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Looking through my XB1 games... I'm sure Switch games won't compare in size to the biggest ones I have... 97 GB, 62 GB (Both Halo games), 56 GB, 46 GB (Both sports games that I got for free)...

But there are games like Blue Dragon at 20 GB, Mass Effect 2 & 3 at 13 & 15 GB... Overwatch at 11.7 GB... you could still fill up a 128 GB card pretty quickly if they're in that range.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

PerrineClostermann posted:

Overwatch is dead to me until they properly support 21:9.

Bring on splatoon, a shooter which also doesn't support 21:9, but it's portable dammit

*tries to play Splatoon 2 on the train, tethered through my iphone* This lag is literally unplayable :mad: gj with online infrastructure, NINTENDON'T

But in all seriousness, I am actually psyched that I'll be able to bring a console with this much power with me when I go spend a week at my grandfather's house every summer. The 3DS is nice, but I am actually really glad I'll be able to play Splatoon in 720p without trying to navigate the precariously-placed TV that my uncle set up there.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Another interview, this time with Reggie. Courtesy of Time magazine.

Time posted:

Thinking about online gamer profiles and achievements and legacy content purchased online, will Switch include a meta layer that follows players around and lets them keep those purchases?

First, there is much more that we will be sharing about our subscription service—the mechanics, the types of content that you’ll get access to, free, on a monthly basis, the price point for the overall service. All of that information will come.

Second point, as you know, we are very aware of what the consumer has articulated to date as to what they want. We are very aware of what our competitors do. The way Nintendo thinks about it, is we want to make the consumer happy, and we want to give them some of the elements that they have been asking for. And we want to give them things that they haven’t even thought of to ask. But, we also believe in differentiated experiences. We believe in doing things differently.

And so our overall proposition will not look the same as our competitors. But what we will do, is we will recognize what consumers like about our competitors, we will look to do it in a way that has a Nintendo flair to it. And we will look to make sure that in the end, we’ve got this robust, online environment that not only works well for our games, like Splatoon and Mario Kart and Smash Bros., but that also works great for our third party developers.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Infinitum posted:

Because "Suck my cock you aids infested oval office-refuse" is def something that Nintendo want to hear coming out of game 10 year olds will be playing.

I hate this stupid excuse every time it is used. Yes, let's gimp a multiplayer shooter's online features because ONE GUY might be a jackass. Last I checked, that's what the "Mute" function is for. Maybe Nintendo should be worrying more about keeping themselves relevant and not about making sure little Billy doesn't hear a naughty word.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
i do not want voice chat in splatoon and i would not want voice chat in splatoon even if i was 100% certain no children would ever hear any naughty words

if you need to coordinate that badly, that's what Discord and Teamspeak are for.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

VideoGames posted:

The launch-tier ones will apparently be 16 gigs in size.

This is actually quite a lot of data if you know what you're doing. Skyrim at launch on PC was sub-4 gigs and that wasn't tiny in scope by any means. Hell, I think if you install all those ridiculous texture-enhancement packs on the GOTY edition (not the Remastered) I think you still come in below 16 gigs.

Compromises definitely have to be made but I don't think it'll actually be terribly difficult by and large.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lmao nintendo are such loving dumbasses

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Rexroom posted:

WSJ protip: Google the name of the article and click through that way to get around the pay wall.

Other tip: There is nothing new and interesting in this article

Spider2414
Apr 17, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

i do not want voice chat in splatoon and i would not want voice chat in splatoon even if i was 100% certain no children would ever hear any naughty words

if you need to coordinate that badly, that's what Discord and Teamspeak are for.

For some reason I really can't picture people playing that competitively on a Nintendo system.

Sorry guys.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

thexerox123 posted:

Looking through my XB1 games... I'm sure Switch games won't compare in size to the biggest ones I have... 97 GB, 62 GB (Both Halo games), 56 GB, 46 GB (Both sports games that I got for free)...

But there are games like Blue Dragon at 20 GB, Mass Effect 2 & 3 at 13 & 15 GB... Overwatch at 11.7 GB... you could still fill up a 128 GB card pretty quickly if they're in that range.

If the game cards are limited to the rumoured 16-32 GB it should work out just fine with SD cards. Unless Nintendo goes crazy and allows the patching hell of other consoles this should be the natural limit for games without DLC. A 200 GB card will last some time if the average AAA game size is 10-20 GB and the smaller/Indie ones are the more usual 200 MB to 4 GB.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

A big part of why CoD titles, for example, are so fuckhuge is that the A-list actors whose voices are featured have crazy contracts that say their voice recordings have to be completely uncompressed, IIRC.

Hahah what?!?!? Got a source on this?!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

yeah is that a real thing? Because I'm pretty sure cinema releases (and particularly stuff like DVDs) have compression of one type or another.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

well why not posted:

yeah is that a real thing? Because I'm pretty sure cinema releases (and particularly stuff like DVDs) have compression of one type or another.

That's a different contract, though. Also, the actual theatrical release is probably not compressed. For video games, especially if there's a likeness of them in there, too, they probably do this to "protect their brand" or something. I imagine they have a little more individual bargaining power over game studios than film studios.

Like, one is the source of their fame, and the other wants them because of their fame.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

KingEup posted:

The only thing sadder than this was when I found out the American kid who programmed The New Tetris (THE best version of Tetris ever created) and Tetrisphere on N64 died at age 29 from a loving asthma attack.

Googling about this turned up a pretty amusing read.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Rexroom posted:

Another interview, this time with Reggie. Courtesy of Time magazine.

Tacit confirmation of a Smash port, nice.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

lmao nintendo are such loving dumbasses

if it takes you more than a month to beat an nes game, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

well why not posted:

Movie contracts are pretty much set in stone. The business has been around so long that you can't really demand things like that. Video games are newer and famous people in video games is newer still. There's still the possibility of demanding all kinds of crazy poo poo. Blurays hold a lot of data so it's not like it's impossible to do it.

• Locked thread