Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, Fiona and Cake continues to be good and it was nice to see Marceline get some more screentime even if it was an AU version as was BMO aside from the fact they quickly killed him off. Also the Litch King returns.

Two episodes remain now, looking forward to seeing how this ends and I wouldn’t mind seeing more AT content in the future assuming this proves successful enough

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Sep 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Larryb posted:

Off the subject, Fiona and Cake continues to be good and it was nice to see Marceline get some more screentime even if it was an AU version as was BMO aside from the fact they quickly killed him off. Also the Litch King returns. Betty also got a new VA it seems (she’s voiced by Felicia Day here)

Two episodes remain now, looking forward to seeing how this ends and I wouldn’t mind seeing more AT content in the future assuming this proves successful enough

She's been Felicia Day for a long while now, I think for every appearance after the first two or so.

If you wanna see more chat, people are talking F&C in the Adult thread right now, I think.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Open Source Idiom posted:

She's been Felicia Day for a long while now, I think for every appearance after the first two or so.

If you wanna see more chat, people are talking F&C in the Adult thread right now, I think.

Ah you’re right, nevermind that part then

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Mr Interweb posted:

this talk about classic looney tunes reminds me of something i wanted to ask for a while. there was poster who used to post in animation related threads in this subforum all the time a looong time ago. i'm pretty sure his name was Matt Wilson? i recall he seemed to know a lot about animation (hence why i was reminded of him). is that guy still around? under a different name or did he just disappear?

Almost sounds like you're talking about user Mister Beeg?:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3291523&userid=189572

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Nameless Pete posted:

It was fine when they killed literally everyone except BMO. But that's just going too far!

I feel like it’s different if the characters of the series I’m watching could help but run away instead. I would imagine there’s going to be some kind of return to the vampire world, given how open-ended the end of the episode is.

I wonder if Golb is Prismo’s unreachable boss.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

that's charles brubaker

the person the user is thinking of has gone through multiple user/av changes and doesn't blast their identity out anymore because they once got snail mail harassment from a member of the forums who had figured out their home address

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Sep 23, 2023

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I’m still just rotating the massive implications of Baby Finn getting left behind in Vampire World. I know main Finn survived living in the wilderness as a kid, but it’s so bleak in such a funny way.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m assuming this show will ultimately tie back into the ending montage from AT featuring Simon finally finding closure and all of this is just an extended look at how he got there

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Fionna & Cake:

I was so certain that they'd teleport the lead vampire to another universe, along with his crown, thus saving the other universe but causing more problems for themselves. Not so much.

Baby Finn's in the opening credits so I wonder if they'll do more with him, but there's only two eps left so eh.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Nerdietalk posted:

I’m still just rotating the massive implications of Baby Finn getting left behind in Vampire World. I know main Finn survived living in the wilderness as a kid, but it’s so bleak in such a funny way.

Next time we see vampire world its been saved, entirely by Baby Finn.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He doesn’t have gray hair in the montage, although I think that would be a good way to tie things up. I don’t think they’ll turn Fionna’s world back to being magical after everything the normal 90s versions of Marshall Lee and the baker guy have been through. I could see Fionna and Cake choosing to stay in Ooo at the end, or going to some other exciting universe.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Is X-Men Evolution (the high school au one) considered solid? I've heard some good things about it here and there (mostly for being the show that really put Nightcrawler and Kitty Pryde to non-comic reading people), but I also know that the one preceding it that's getting a reboot is also pretty well regarded so I understand if it's kind of in it's shadow or contested in certain ways.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Junpei posted:

Is X-Men Evolution (the high school au one) considered solid? I've heard some good things about it here and there (mostly for being the show that really put Nightcrawler and Kitty Pryde to non-comic reading people), but I also know that the one preceding it that's getting a reboot is also pretty well regarded so I understand if it's kind of in it's shadow or contested in certain ways.

It's a real mix. The animation is a huge improvement over the 90s show (which can charitably be described as going for a look its budget doesn't really support a lot of the time) but it was considered more juvenile and some of the new characters got very irritating in an early 00s trying real hard to be 'cool' way. It's definitely not hewing close to the comics like the 90s show did, for better or worse. But it's got a lot of fun characterisation, and some real kickass sequences when it goes full comic book. (the sequence where WW2-era Logan and Captain America raid a concentration camp and rescue a young Magneto is something the movies should recreate as soon as feasible)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

In case it bothers you as much as it bothered me: the scene of Kitty Pryde and Rogue dancing looks familiar because it’s rotoscoped from the scene of Buffy and Faith dancing in the opening credits of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. That drove me crazy until I figured it out.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
If the Cartoon Network promos back in the day were any indication it was definitely trying to be Buffy.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Junpei posted:

Evolution is good, but it only starts firing on all cylinders in the second season. Not that there's many episodes in the first season you've got to suffer through because they're all at least fine but second season is just when it really gets going. I honestly think it's better than X-Men '92 overall which is powered mostly by nostalgia.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Evolution is good, but it only starts firing on all cylinders in the second season. Not that there's many episodes in the first season you've got to suffer through because they're all at least fine but second season is just when it really gets going. I honestly think it's better than X-Men '92 overall which is powered mostly by nostalgia.

A pity it ends on a cliffhanger though just like nearly every X-Men series that isn’t the ‘92 show

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Larryb posted:

A pity it ends on a cliffhanger though just like nearly every X-Men series that isn’t the ‘92 show

That's the most frustrating part, really. '92 had a good ending but nOsTaLgIa. And what they wanted to do in Evolution after was really neat, playing with a lot of established formulas like paring up Scott with Rogue instead of the much more typical and tired Scott/Jean.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Why is it that every X-Men show except the ‘92 series and I think that one Japanese miniseries ultimately got cancelled prematurely anyway?

Honestly they should be reviving Evolution rather than the 90’s show in my opinion

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked Evolution's thing with Rogue Nightcrawler and Mystique thinking of each other as family because the former two were half-siblings through her.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

Why is it that every X-Men show except the ‘92 series and I think that one Japanese miniseries ultimately got cancelled prematurely anyway?

Honestly they should be reviving Evolution rather than the 90’s show in my opinion

Probably because it was trying something a little different than the movies which were the primary way people were consuming X-Men stuff at the time. People wanted that and not these kid versions of the X-Men. (also they probably wanted more Wolverine. I mean he was there but he wasn't the focus a lot. People loving love Wolverine.) At least it got its own Harley Quinn-esque legacy by introducing X-23 to the world so it'll always live on a bit and not be truly forgotten to time.

And as far as why not revive it instead of the 90s one, the answer was already posted...

Dawgstar posted:

'92 had a good ending but nOsTaLgIa.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Sep 24, 2023

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
When I was a kid, I saw Evolution first. It had a regular Saturday slot and I really liked it. One day that show was suddenly done and they aired '92 in that timeslot instead. It felt like hot garbage with atrocious production value.
I'm not interested in that revival at all.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TwoPair posted:

Probably because it was trying something a little different than the movies which were the primary way people were consuming X-Men stuff at the time. People wanted that and not these kid versions of the X-Men. (also they probably wanted more Wolverine. I mean he was there but he wasn't the focus a lot. People loving love Wolverine.) At least it got its own Harley Quinn-esque legacy by introducing X-23 to the world so it'll always live on a bit and not be truly forgotten to time.

And as far as why not revive it instead of the 90s one, the answer was already posted...

Though ironically they made a more Wolverine focused show later and that one got cancelled too (after just one season no less)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 24, 2023

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I never knew 92 had a proper ending, I thought it mostly ran out of budget for the last season, which made its kinda sketchy animation quality get more awkward, so I never tried going back to go all the way with it.

Evolution was alright, but it's also a very "teen issues" show, which that always tends to make me cringe. It ended up having a lot of unique takes on characters because it was sorta following in the footsteps of the movie but not all the way.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked Nighcrawler's girlfriend. :3: That was a cute subplot.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
'92 had an okay intro

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

KORNOLOGY posted:

'92 had an okay intro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-6AfYgqe_4

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006

Name one thing anyone understands from that intro. Besides karate girl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlqxKBiyEq8

KORNOLOGY fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Sep 24, 2023

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

KORNOLOGY posted:

Name one thing anyone understands from that intro.
The song

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

KORNOLOGY posted:

Name one thing anyone understands from that intro. Besides karate girl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlqxKBiyEq8

I saw exactly one episode of that as a kid, but it somehow stuck with me. When the blonde idiot takes over a prison and they send a guy in undercover...

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

KORNOLOGY posted:

'92 had an okay intro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rSw4Xl5qfs

It was pretty good, though I wonder why they never showed the xenomorphs that Magneto could apparently summon

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006

Xelkelvos posted:

It was pretty good, though I wonder why they never showed the xenomorphs that Magneto could apparently summon

I would spend infinity quarters trying to beat this game.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006

Xelkelvos posted:

I believe they show up in the arcade game.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The '92 theme is extremely iconic, but the '89 theme is probably the best X-Men song.

The X-Men really fell from their heights after the last decade or so, I wonder if Marvel is going to manage to salvage them.

Xelkelvos posted:

The proper Marvel name for them is Sleazoids.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

SlothfulCobra posted:

The '92 theme is extremely iconic, but the '89 theme is probably the best X-Men song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pNpKytgHaI&t=8s

No place to hide
No place to run

The mutant age
Has now begun

X-Men
X-Men
Save the day

X-Men
X-Men
Coming your way

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Every X-Men cartoon ends up with the weirdest goddamn Brotherhood lineup.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
just like Batman Beyond, Evolution is way better than it has any right or expectation to be. like "cool uncle" Wolverine some how just works.

also while I havent watch the series proper since it aired in childhood, I did watch a cool fanedit super cut of all the Apocalypse stuff and its a better "film" than most of real xmen movies.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Funky Valentine posted:

Every X-Men cartoon ends up with the weirdest goddamn Brotherhood lineup.

Probably because they always end up mashing together like two or three different versions of the concept together

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

PhazonLink posted:

just like Batman Beyond, Evolution is way better than it has any right or expectation to be. like "cool uncle" Wolverine some how just works.

also while I havent watch the series proper since it aired in childhood, I did watch a cool fanedit super cut of all the Apocalypse stuff and its a better "film" than most of real xmen movies.

Cool Uncle Wolverine and Cool Aunt Storm should always be a thing. Wolverine was a great Cool Uncle to Jubes and Kitty in the comic. I'd love to get a weird convoluted storyline in the new X-Men show that gets us to X-23, Scout/Honeybadger and Jonathon (No Dakken, tho.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

drrockso20 posted:

Probably because they always end up mashing together like two or three different versions of the concept together

Like I understand why non-comics media keeps making Juggernaut a mutant because he's a weird standout in the X-Men rogues gallery otherwise but Emma already has a group of evil mutants who think they're hot poo poo!