Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Knifegrab posted:

So I need to get a new programming laptop. I have been programming on mac's forever and I really really prefer it. But the new macbook pro's loving suck. gently caress touchbars. gently caress no USB-A ports. And gently caress that pricing. Is there any alternatives on the market or if I like macbook programming, short of buying an older macbook pro, am I screwed?

a desktop mac i guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Careful Drums posted:

a desktop mac i guess?

They don't really exist anymore, hackintosh is unironically the best answer.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I'm leaning the HP I linked with a VM. Linux, baby.. it's lit!

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Careful Drums posted:

a desktop mac i guess?

I need portability. Looks like I'm getting a macbook pro :(

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

X280 finally had a price drop, but the BTO options now are either 1366*768 matte or 1080p gently caress off glossy multi touch screen. No option for 1080p matte

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Hadlock posted:

X280 finally had a price drop, but the BTO options now are either 1366*768 matte or 1080p gently caress off glossy multi touch screen. No option for 1080p matte

That's whack

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Hadlock posted:

lenovo more like lolnovo

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Knifegrab posted:

So I need to get a new programming laptop. I have been programming on mac's forever and I really really prefer it. But the new macbook pro's loving suck. gently caress touchbars. gently caress no USB-A ports. And gently caress that pricing. Is there any alternatives on the market or if I like macbook programming, short of buying an older macbook pro, am I screwed?

Dell Precision M5510/5520 or M7510/7520

It's more powerful, upgrade able, and supportable than a MacBook Pro or a Hackintosh, generally offers more bang for buck than a MacBook Pro, and can be gotten refurbished for less than $1,300 with warranties till 2020.

They also are fairly lightweight for the power they pack. Heaviest one is the 75xx series at about 6.5 lbs.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 7, 2018

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

CommieGIR posted:

Dell Precision M5510/5520 or M7510/7520

It's more powerful, upgrade able, and supportable than a MacBook Pro or a Hackintosh, generally offers more bang for buck than a MacBook Pro, and can be gotten refurbished for less than $1,300 with warranties till 2020.

They also are fairly lightweight for the power they pack. Heaviest one is the 75xx series at about 6.5 lbs.

Except I like to program on MacOS...

I do appreciate the suggestion though, it looks like a decent solution if I wanted to do a parallels or dual boot or something.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Knifegrab posted:

Except I like to program on MacOS...

I do appreciate the suggestion though, it looks like a decent solution if I wanted to do a parallels or dual boot or something.

Just install Wndows Linux Subsystem and run Ubuntu

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

CommieGIR posted:

Just install Wndows Linux Subsystem and run Ubuntu

Barring some big upgrade and price slashing or increased value, this is what I'm choosing over a MBP. I'm also an engineer and buying this 75% for personal projectrs.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Knifegrab posted:

You can pick up 13" Macbook Airs really cheap now (under $500), and those have USB-A ports, fast SSDs, and an old-style keyboard. They also have completely garbage screens.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Twerk from Home posted:

You can pick up 13" Macbook Airs really cheap now (under $500), and those have USB-A ports, fast SSDs, and an old-style keyboard. They also have completely garbage screens.

Where?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

eBay or Craigslist!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I just took a quick look on tanga.com (found that site via Brad's Deals) and they have a few 13.3" MacBook Airs with 4GB RAM and 128GB SSDs for under $500.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
You won't be efficient in terms of compiling any JVM language with just 4GB. Heck, I'd argue that even 8 isn't enough for any appreciably large project, so to guy in the same boat as me, I'd probably go for 8 minimum.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Yeah, 500 for that? Might as well just save for a new one, that's ancient spec wise. I mean, that's "Nice Netbook" territory specs, not Performance Laptop specs.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Mar 7, 2018

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Knifegrab posted:

Buying a used or refurb 2015 MacBook Pro is acceptable now within the Apple community because of how unreliable the current MBP keyboards are. Seriously, a speck of dust will break a key.

https://twitter.com/stroughtonsmith/status/921453895456624640

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I just took a quick look on tanga.com (found that site via Brad's Deals) and they have a few 13.3" MacBook Airs with 4GB RAM and 128GB SSDs for under $500.

I meant more like the Craigslist ads I see around me for " 13-inch macbook air Storage 512GB SSD Wide Screen Mint Condition - $460 ". That's an i7/8GB/512GB asking $460, $350-500 seems to be market price for 2013+ 8GB Airs.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Isn't the rumor that Apple is putting together a proper refresh of the Air?

They mad because XPS 13s been eatin' their lunch for the last couple of years.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Seamonster posted:

It's going to be the second coming of the iBook. Apple targeting the budget space results in colorful plastic like the iPhone 5c, and terrible old screens.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Seamonster posted:

How do you figure?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Bob Morales posted:

How do you figure?

Its better in every way except the touchpad

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

Its better in every way except the touchpad

The air is old but the competitor to the xps line is the pro line. And it’s not like apples had any sales drop in sales...especially that you would attribute it to the xps line

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Seamonster posted:

The 13” non touchbar Pro IS the proper refresh of the Air

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Touchbar's keyboard is rear end and it has no ports that the typical college user and office user wants. The Macbook Air refresh will probably keep all the old stuff that people want.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mu Zeta posted:

The Touchbar's keyboard is rear end and it has no ports that the typical college user and office user wants. The Macbook Air refresh will probably keep all the old stuff that people want.

i would be really surprised if apple ever puts out a good new laptop again, with the way things have been going over there

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Mu Zeta posted:

The Macbook Air refresh will probably keep all the old stuff that people want.

Like the HD screen!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've seen excel users still on 1024x768 so they probably will

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

Google Butt posted:

Really, you might consider the Thinkpad x1 Carbon gen 6 with the 4k screen after the price drops in a couple weeks.

Is there an expected time/event for the price drop? Been holding out for a while

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles
Thinking about getting a new laptop, at least i5, 8gb ram, 128gb ssd or hd, with dvd or blu-ray drive, 1920 x 1080 screen, 8hr battery life. Something reliable & durable, good keyboard for a lot of typing, as many ports as possible. Trying to teach myself programming at the moment, so I might do some of that on it. Will probably be mostly sitting at a table with it rather than in my lap. I saw on one site it said not to buy a laptop older that two years, is that a good rule to go by, or are they full of it?

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Hi laptop thread, I want a ThinkPad but really only need a laptop for ultra-casual use, namely word processing and light research. What are people's thoughts on the super cheap lines, i.e. the E, 13, or 11e series?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

greententacle posted:

Thinking about getting a new laptop, at least i5, 8gb ram, 128gb ssd or hd, with dvd or blu-ray drive, 1920 x 1080 screen, 8hr battery life. Something reliable & durable, good keyboard for a lot of typing, as many ports as possible. Trying to teach myself programming at the moment, so I might do some of that on it. Will probably be mostly sitting at a table with it rather than in my lap. I saw on one site it said not to buy a laptop older that two years, is that a good rule to go by, or are they full of it?

What size screen?

I'd recommend a T series Lenovo but they haven't put optical drives in those things in 3-4 generations

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

greententacle posted:

Unless you're primarily using this as a physical media video player (e.g. for kids in the car or old people who hate internet), you can probably just keep an external USB drive right on your bookshelf next to your CDs/DVDs/Blu-Rays.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
I've been trying to get ahold of a larger battery for my Thinkpad X270. There's supposed to be a 47wH back battery you can get, as well as the 3-cell one that comes with the laptop and the big 72wH one.
Lenovo just directed me to a wholesaler which requires you to apply to register your company with them in order to make orders... and I can't find anywhere else that does the 47wH battery.

Any ideas? I don't particularly want the 72wH one because it's bloody massive (and typing on a keyboard which is at a weird angle due to sticking-out battery packs sucks) and also very expensive.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

El Grillo posted:

I've been trying to get ahold of a larger battery for my Thinkpad X270. There's supposed to be a 47wH back battery you can get, as well as the 3-cell one that comes with the laptop and the big 72wH one.
Lenovo just directed me to a wholesaler which requires you to apply to register your company with them in order to make orders... and I can't find anywhere else that does the 47wH battery.

Any ideas? I don't particularly want the 72wH one because it's bloody massive (and typing on a keyboard which is at a weird angle due to sticking-out battery packs sucks) and also very expensive.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

El Grillo posted:

it's literally the same size as the 72wh one, just slightly lighter.

Just get the 72wh one. The angle is actually nice for typing, it really doesn't protrude that much, it makes a nice little handle for the laptop, it's generally ok and pleasant to use, and you get a full two days nonstop battery life. And they're like 45 bucks if you can wait for the slow boat, don't listen to lenovo's supplier nonsense.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/72Wh-45N11...bAAAOSwhilZaGbA

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Thanks folks. Hadn't realised the two were similar size. I guess that would explain why the 48wH is so hard to find!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Those batteries won't let you keep your laptop in a sleeve :argh:

Somehow people break the tabs that hold the battery to the 'lock' switches on Thinkpads here. I haven't caught anyone slamming them down or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Godzilla07 posted:

Buying a used or refurb 2015 MacBook Pro is acceptable now within the Apple community because of how unreliable the current MBP keyboards are. Seriously, a speck of dust will break a key.

https://twitter.com/stroughtonsmith/status/921453895456624640

My first thought is that this MBP construction sounds exactly like the 2013/2015 Google CB Pixel design: the keyboard is integrated into the chassis, and everything else is plopped in underneath that. To do my future, when-I-feel-like-it/when-I-get-around-to-it UK-ISO-to-US-ANSI keyboard swap to the 2013 UK new-old-stock Pixel will require completely disassembling the Pixel including detaching the display, then reassembling the entire thing into the new US keyboard/top chassis.

The major difference between the MBP and the CB Pixel is that you can get the keyboard/top chassis for around $20 instead of seven-loving-hundred-dollars!?!?! :psyboom: (Even $330 is absurd, and I think I bought my replacement/upgrade keyboard for closer to $15.)

I've never hidden my aversion to Apple products, but am I really wrong here? Am I the one being unreasonable in expecting higher-priced electronics to be better than cheaper ones? I've never found this to be the case with Apple products, going back all the way to their pre-OS X stuff. Call me an anti-Apple fanboy if you must, but I think it's loving bonkers to do something like spend $4k (CDN?) on a laptop in the first place, and then have it repeatedly fail.

greententacle posted:

As mentioned, you don't need a built-in optical drive (especially since it's mostly going to be sitting on a flat surface, you can just get a $20-40 USB drive) and "i5" doesn't mean a whole lot as it refers to a wide variety of CPUs in terms of core count and performance; the i3 in that Acer is a 2C4T ULV CPU that's a step down from but otherwise quite close to similar 2C4T ULV i5s that are in comparable laptops, whereas there are 4C4T i5s (the traditional configuration), 4C8T Kaby Lake-R CPUs, and then current Coffee Lake (desktop) CPUs are 6C6T. Battery life should meet your requirements.

Bob Morales posted:

Somehow people break the tabs that hold the battery to the 'lock' switches on Thinkpads here. I haven't caught anyone slamming them down or anything.

I'm guessing they're doing something like forcing out the battery without unlocking both switches. My Ideapad has the dual-switch configuration where one of them slides back and forth, but the other is spring loaded so you have to make sure the former is in the right position and hold the latter with one hand while removing the battery with the other. It's not quite obvious which is which when you've got them both in the locked position and don't swap out the battery frequently, so I can totally see someone forgetting to unlock one switch and breaking it.