Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Davros1 posted:

They are not good.

Thrawn is basic Arrow's Diaz in the Star Wars Universe.

a few silly particuulars aside they aren't that bad, and those are mostly things that'd be changed in converting to film anyway (and editing for continuity with the prequels, because the clone wars weren't on film)

the general dynamic where Thrawn and the imperial remnant is definitely on the losing end and doing their best to try to scrape something together out of what little resources they have left is a nice reversal

Honestly though what I really want is the Jedi Prince series to be adapted for Star Wars Rebels, I think it'd be a huge step up for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I think I'm the only one who thought the Yuuzhan Vong were interesting and could make for good movie villains. They'd still be an evil empire, but they're bio-organic, Force immune, pain worshipping alchemists.

That'd be a loving sweet hook for new villains.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

But that's just it, DBZ understood this too. DBZ has moments mid-fight where people stop, talk, transform, etc. in order to create tension and relief and conflict.

Even DBZ, if you really analyze it, isn't just punches over and over. They mix it up. They get creative. You have things like suicide attacks where a character sacrifices themselves to help others. DC fights are literally just BAM BAM BAM.

E: Also what's really important in action movies is people need to get hurt. Jackie Chan gets hurt and its funny and makes it feel real when he wins. Makes the stakes seem real. DBZ characters get beat the gently caress up. DC characters stay pretty perfect looking.

Okay I gotta give you that one. That's a fair take. Honestly I haven't checked out any live action DC movies since I've been hearing only not-good things about them. The animated stuff has been pretty decent in comparison though and that's cool.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Tunicate posted:

a few silly particuulars aside they aren't that bad, and those are mostly things that'd be changed in converting to film anyway

You'd hope. You can't say for sure that they'd drop "Can look at a culture's artwork and immediately know what their military strategy would be" thing. And those Force bubble lizards(?) could be the new Porgs!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Len posted:

Im familiar enough with the comics to know a two part movie was going to end with everyone getting disappeared and then undoing everything in the next one.

With RDJ and Evans being at the end of their contracts it's just up in the air if they come back and retire, come back and die, or just stay gone forever

Downey Jr and Evans didn't go in the first place.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Jedit posted:

Downey Jr and Evans didn't go in the first place.

Honestly I already forgot who all disappeared and who didn't

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

But that's just it, DBZ understood this too. DBZ has moments mid-fight where people stop, talk, transform, etc. in order to create tension and relief and conflict.

Even DBZ, if you really analyze it, isn't just punches over and over. They mix it up. They get creative. You have things like suicide attacks where a character sacrifices themselves to help others. DC fights are literally just BAM BAM BAM.

E: Also what's really important in action movies is people need to get hurt. Jackie Chan gets hurt and its funny and makes it feel real when he wins. Makes the stakes seem real. DBZ characters get beat the gently caress up. DC characters stay pretty perfect looking.

Also, a thing I've been saying as a pipe dream since high school. I'd watch Power Rangers if they had Jackie Chan doing choreography. Someone made a video on how Marvel's action scenes lack impact and that's a fair point.

Android Apocalypse posted:

My IIMM is about how we’re so easily connected to Hollywood news so that genuine surprise moments in franchise movies are muted because we know stuff like movie star contracts. If you didn’t know that RDJ & Chris Evans were in the final movie contract, or that Tom Holland & Chadwick Bosenan were signed on for more movies, would you be more surprised at the end of Infinity War?

I mean, it's a comic book movie. The medium famous for killing and bringing characters back from the dead. Also, it's all made up anyway, they can invent whatever reason they want to kill/unkill anyone. When I saw the second Pirates of the Carribean movie I was surprised they killed Jack and then surprised when they went to bring him back in the next movie. Didn't expect it but not knowing it didn't turn the movie into a ten or anything.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

And DC couldn't even wait until another film before hinting that Superman was still alive at the end of BvS

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Davros1 posted:

You'd hope. You can't say for sure that they'd drop "Can look at a culture's artwork and immediately know what their military strategy would be" thing. And those Force bubble lizards(?) could be the new Porgs!

The art thing is a cool affectation that isn't particularly core to the plot, and offers a good excuse to do neat things with visual effects in the scenes where the villains are scheming.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Len posted:

Honestly I already forgot who all disappeared and who didn't

All the original Avengers stayed, which is probably going to be the deciding factor on who gets axed for real or not in Infinity Harder

I'm guessing everyone except Hemsworth and maybe Johannsen gets out.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Wheat Loaf posted:

I haven't read the Thrawn trilogy in about 15 years. I don't know if they're actually good or if it's just because I liked it when I was 11. :(
It was definitely because you were 11 but there's absolutely no shame in that. I still have a special place in my heart for Dragons of Winter Darkness, the second Dragonlance novel, and having checked it out again in my 30s I can completely see why 11 year old me loved it while at the same time enjoying just how bad it really turns out to be.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Davros1 posted:

And DC couldn't even wait until another film before hinting that Superman was still alive at the end of BvS

Yeah, they're no Arthur Conan Doyle. But then again how long did they pretend Superman was dead after fighting Doomsday in the comic? A year if even that long?

Samuringa posted:

All the original Avengers stayed, which is probably going to be the deciding factor on who gets axed for real or not in Infinity Harder

I'm guessing everyone except Hemsworth and maybe Johannsen gets out.

Everyone assumes Drax is dead but in fact he simply...remained very still...becoming invisible to the naked eye.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

NorgLyle posted:

It was definitely because you were 11 but there's absolutely no shame in that. I still have a special place in my heart for Dragons of Winter Darkness, the second Dragonlance novel, and having checked it out again in my 30s I can completely see why 11 year old me loved it while at the same time enjoying just how bad it really turns out to be.

The thing is that I still enjoy going back and re-reading the Star Wars comics I liked then from time to time. I don't know. I guess it's because so much of Star Wars is visual, so comics and games can hold up better than novels.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, they're no Arthur Conan Doyle. But then again how long did they pretend Superman was dead after fighting Doomsday in the comic? A year if even that long?
Barely a year. There was the fun 4 Supermans storyline though. BRING BACK SHAQUILLE O'NEAL AS STEEL!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The only time DC heroes took any damage in a fight was when Batman and Superman beat the poo poo out if each other. Bat's armor got ffuuuuccckkkkeeedd up and Superman got kinda...well he got a scratch.

Compared to something simple like the Winter soldier scene where cap leaps out an elevator and lands on his shield and is laying there like "FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK THAT HURT".

Marvel has some kinda realism where DC just has IT'S DARK AND GRIM AND THIS MEANS IT'S COOL RIGHT?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I still don't get motherfucking Cyborg showing up the last DC crapfest. You're a Teen Titan, fucker, you don't come without the other cooler Titans!

And always, why was the Green Lantern was Ryan Reynolds, everyone I knew wanted the one from the animated series. "WTF why is the Green Lantern some white dude?"

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

John Stewart Lantern, hell yes. Played by either Idris Elba (I know, he's like the obvious choice) or Rocky Carroll. I think Michael B Jordon is a little too young for Stewart yet; he needs someone a little older, I think.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
A few years ago there was a rumour that Denzel Washington could be playing Green Lantern... but he'd still just be Hal Jordan.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Should be Guy Gardner.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Leavemywife posted:

John Stewart Lantern, hell yes. Played by either Idris Elba (I know, he's like the obvious choice) or Rocky Carroll. I think Michael B Jordon is a little too young for Stewart yet; he needs someone a little older, I think.

Idris Elba John Stewart would be amazing.

I grew up with Hal Jordan and Kyle Rayner but the DCAU John Stewart was fantastic too. And probably a more interesting character overall.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

I still don't get motherfucking Cyborg showing up the last DC crapfest. You're a Teen Titan, fucker, you don't come without the other cooler Titans!

And always, why was the Green Lantern was Ryan Reynolds, everyone I knew wanted the one from the animated series. "WTF why is the Green Lantern some white dude?"

Every ten years or so, DC tries to push Cyborg as one of the big guns of the DC universe, but no one buys it, and he ends up going back to the Titans

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

BiggerBoat posted:

In Dark Knight, he got changed in like 45 seconds somehow.

Quick changes;

I watched the Crying Freeman live-action film and this bit made me lmao; gets out of a full three-piece suit, tie and shoes in eight seconds

reminded me of

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Davros1 posted:

Every ten years or so, DC tries to push Cyborg as one of the big guns of the DC universe, but no one buys it, and he ends up going back to the Titans

Cause the head dude at DC for the movies has a boner for cyborg. Same reason why Barry Allen is always the flash. MY CHILDHOOD WAS AMAZING AND NOTHING CAN CHANGE kinda ruins the dccu.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I still think WIl Smith might have made a good Hal Jordan if he hadn't gotten tabbed as Deadshot. Similarly, I think the idea of "Dwayne Johnson as Black Adam" is a freakin' waste when he should just be Shazam (God, I hate they're doing that as the name. Why couldn't they at least keep Captain Thunder if they couldn't go with Capt. Marvel?)

I've said that a hundred times, probably. It adds some more diversity to the DCEU if you're looking for that, and he's got a really distinctive look that could lend itself to a take on the traditional Shazam look. He could probably bring some comedy and some drama into a cartoony sort of character and might help get people invested in the ultimate concept of 'kid says magic word, becomes ultimate superhero.'

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I wouldn’t mind a Guy Gardner Green Lantern, but I suspect Warner Bros/DC will screw it up.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

JediTalentAgent posted:

I still think WIl Smith might have made a good Hal Jordan if he hadn't gotten tabbed as Deadshot. Similarly, I think the idea of "Dwayne Johnson as Black Adam" is a freakin' waste when he should just be Shazam (God, I hate they're doing that as the name. Why couldn't they at least keep Captain Thunder if they couldn't go with Capt. Marvel?)

I've said that a hundred times, probably. It adds some more diversity to the DCEU if you're looking for that, and he's got a really distinctive look that could lend itself to a take on the traditional Shazam look. He could probably bring some comedy and some drama into a cartoony sort of character and might help get people invested in the ultimate concept of 'kid says magic word, becomes ultimate superhero.'

Only downside to using him as Shazam is that I cannot imagine anyone else as Black Adam. To be fair though, I don't know that many middle eastern looking muscular dudes.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Only downside to using him as Shazam is that I cannot imagine anyone else as Black Adam. To be fair though, I don't know that many middle eastern looking muscular dudes.

The Iron Sheik

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The odd thing about that is you might not need a really buff Black Adam, or you similarly play around with is 'Black Adam' form/mythology.

Rock Shazam being all huge and muscly is maybe a response of it being the an immature power fantasy of a kid. Black Adam might actually look upon such a form with a bit of amusement. All this magical might, but this childish expression of it is hardly the wisdom of Solomon.

Getting into maybe some DBZ territory/symbolism of his character: The guy who becomes Black Adam might have an internal perspective that has him seeking a more 'perfect' expression of his power as Adam. Throw in some 'his form nearly the perfect golden ratio' or something, maybe have his gradually go from projecting an emphasis on the 'gold' part of the look/design and eventually giving way to a more traditional black/gold.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
True, I'm just going off the last like, 20 years of comics he's been in. He's a regular dude in his Teth body, but he's basically on par with Superman with his body in Black Adam form.

However they handle it, I hope it'll be well. I imagine if they let Snyder anywhere near it, it'll be rear end though.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
The next DC movie villain should be Nina Dowd.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Deadpool 2 Besides just being a weird movie in general, they didn't really show Deadpool putting himself back together after he gets injured. He just kinda shows up in another scene healed for the most part.

I am glad that they finally stopped picking on poor Colossus here. And acknowledging how weird it was that no other X-Men besides him and Negasonic Teenage Warhead seemed to be around.

Gaunab posted:

The next DC movie villain should be Nina Dowd.

I want the next DC movie to be Superman trying to deal with Mr. Mxyzptlk or that time Deathstroke drugged him while trying to kill Bruce Wayne because Wayne told him to wear his clothes on a cruise.

https://imgur.com/a/zhYVl#nQeCrWI

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

"We're not so different you and I" is a terrible cliché mainly because it causes the protagonist to question themselves when it's a totally loving stupid comparison.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What about the extended scene of him growing his legs back

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

What about the extended scene of him growing his legs back

I was looking more for putting his arms back in the right direction or something. Like, he spins his head around like Daffy Duck with his beak and that was fine but eh. I dunno, I guess I just wanted them to play around with it more. And also give some info on Cable's arm considering it was making noise the entire movie and I had to wonder if it was sentient too or something.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I also wondered how exactly Deadpool regenerated when he blew himself up. Did the rest of his body sprout out of his decapitated head? Was there a Deadpool with a toddler body and a grotesque Wade head waddling around the mansion for a while?

Would all the dismembered pieces grow into a whole individual Wade with sentience and everything?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Panfilo posted:

I also wondered how exactly Deadpool regenerated when he blew himself up. Did the rest of his body sprout out of his decapitated head? Was there a Deadpool with a toddler body and a grotesque Wade head waddling around the mansion for a while?

Would all the dismembered pieces grow into a whole individual Wade with sentience and everything?

I had the mental image of Colossus doing a bit of a jigsaw puzzle with Wade's various pieces.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Leavemywife posted:

I had the mental image of Colossus doing a bit of a jigsaw puzzle with Wade's various pieces.

As you're meant to. Deadpool's regeneration is somewhat inconsistent in how it works, but him being a serial breaker of fourth walls it's more than reasonable to say it works in whatever way would be funniest.

Cable's arm isn't sentient, and it also isn't artificial. Cable is infected with a techno-organic virus which has transformed parts of his natural body into the machinery you see. It's possibly part of why he tolerates Deadpool in the comics - they're both living with cancer that their powers keep in check.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Leavemywife posted:

Same. I assumed they grabbed all the parts and just put all the pieces against where they should connect and they all attached themselves like Ethan Winters does with his leg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozWvwI-ehls

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

And acknowledging how weird it was that no other X-Men besides him and Negasonic Teenage Warhead seemed to be around.

I coulda sworn Deadpool made a crack about that in the first movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

He does and stares at the camera as he does so