Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

Spoiler for the first post-prologue act of Omori

I love the fact that you get in a fight in the real world and the game goes "holy poo poo dude did you just stab that person, all she did was headbutt you"

Its one of my favorite moments in the game tbh. really good at making you not even think twice about hitting that attack button before realizing what you actually did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

CuddleCryptid posted:

Spoiler for the first post-prologue act of Omori

I love the fact that you get in a fight in the real world and the game goes "holy poo poo dude did you just stab that person, all she did was headbutt you"

Also one of your childhood best friends sunny what the heck

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Given how morbid the subject-matter is throughout in The Forgotten City, as it doesn't whitewash Roman values, it was surprising that the game has a happy canon ending.

Definitely up there with Outer Wilds, though its timeloop mechanic is less noticible since there is no ticking-clock.

Didn't like the Sexy Brutale as its last act and ending sunk the whole experience.

Will never play 12 Minutes.

Oh shoot, thisd reminded me that Forgotten City is a game I started and never went back to, and it was interesting, so I kinda want to do that, even if it isn't strictly a horror game.

Outer wilds is a game everyone ought to play, horror fan or not, and everything I hear about 12 minutes disinclines me to play it, so no thanks.

I quite liked Sexy Brutale; yeah the ending is kinda whatever but I super dug the artstyle and

Read After Burning posted:

THAT SOUNDTRACK, THOUGH!

:hmmyes:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

There is only one combat-level in the Forgotten City that is technically skippable to get the best ending, but it is a low point of the game. You shoot these charging enemies once in the head or twice in the torso. There are traps around that take out multiple foes and obstacles that bar them from reaching you. Once you get past that 15 minute slump the rest of the story is plain sailing.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/good_faces_bot/status/1488436984872075265?t=gwCvx4OAKOHqsbs7nEi5Ng&s=19

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Been replaying the Dead Space games and I'm up to DS3, which is the only one I haven't replayed since launch and didn't remember vividly. In fact I forgot everything before the ice planet even happened. I don't remember poo poo about this game tbh. Played it once alone and then with a friend and forgot it existed. Unlike 2 which I think I've played 5 times now maybe?

Was kind of hoping I'd play it and make a redemption post about DS3 "not actually being that bad" and it's not. It's not an awful game or anything. But it also gets everything about DS wrong on such a shocking level. Like, everything. The Co-op focus was the most famous misfire, but why does this game look and play so much shittier than it's predecessor?Why is Issac half the size he used to be? Why do the guns feel like turds? Why don't the necros react to getting shot for poo poo? Why does it look like muddy butt? Why is the lighting sooo bad? It's wild. It's like they had all of these new ideas and 100% of them were crap. '

It just looks and feels so much worse than 2, which is still sublime to look at and play to this day.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

veni veni veni posted:

The Co-op focus was the most famous misfire

They just needed to go even harder on it honestly, they did a few really cool bits with it, but if more of the game were the Isaac and Carver player going "What the hell are you talking about" to whoever's getting the crazy moment at the time, it would've been pretty rad.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Iirc that was the original intent. Which would have been cooler that the final product but honestly Co op was the absolute last thing I ever wanted in Dead Space.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm still mad about Dead Space 3's switch from save files to checkpoints loving me over and leaving me in an unwinnable position when I played through the series a couple months back. I could probably have wandered backwards through the game far enough to eventually pick up enough ammo drops to come up with a viable alternate strategy, but my motivation just dropped through the floor and I haven't looked back at the game since.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

This looks interesting (especially for fans of The Terror) but you need a pretty reliable group of 8 to play https://store.steampowered.com/app/1418630/Dread_Hunger/

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Basic Chunnel posted:

This looks interesting (especially for fans of The Terror) but you need a pretty reliable group of 8 to play https://store.steampowered.com/app/1418630/Dread_Hunger/

Yeah this looks pretty cool from the preview but the only way I'm going to get 8 people together to play something like that would be with a knife and a length of rope.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
That 10 minute demo of Ghostwire Tokyo was..... odd. Like a weird, quite slow, open world first person horror game? The combat looks quite ponderous and strange but not necessarily bad.

I don't think it sold me entirely on the game but I'm at least interested, it looks like the oddest "big" game I've seen in awhile.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Feb 4, 2022

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Combat looked kinda slow. Maybe they just wanted to show it off visually but there was a whole lot of handwaving without really doing anything.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Combat looked kinda slow. Maybe they just wanted to show it off visually but there was a whole lot of handwaving without really doing anything.

Yeah it's hard to tell if that's your typical "we're not sure how to present this in a PR demo" thing where when you're actually playing, you'll do it way faster or if it just like that.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Playing through House of Ashes right now, nerves are absolutely shot. I can deal with horror games and such that are designed to spooky the player, but when choices I make lead to character death, I absolutely tense up and my heart pounds. Already got Eric killed since I didn't cut the rope since I thought it'd kill Rachel. Fun to play online with a friend though.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
I did a playthrough of the Evil Within recently, first time since its release so it was basically fresh for me, I vaguely recalled killing a lot of offbrand re4 ganados and one good horror section in the middle with offbrand big daddies. It's trashy as all hell but also one of those games like RE4 that impresses you with the the longevity of memorable encounters. I was thinking several times throughout the playthrough, "Ok this is where it starts the slide to the end", but there'd be another good setpiece. If I have any complaint besides the general trashiness and the on rails segments it's that the upgrade system makes you a bit too tanky and capable by the end, the third keeper encounter didn't quite meet its potential for that reason. I get the sense from coverage of the sequel that it went more in the direction of making a polished zombie playground rather than pushing the horror encounters to the nth degree, unfortunate.

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 20, 2022

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Evil Within was wildly uneven at its best, but I feel like most of the malignant reputation it earned was from its technical shortcomings, both on console and PC. It doesn’t feel particularly good to play either. There’s neat ideas, and it effectively manages the feeling of playing through a bad fever dream, but it’s a frustrating experience that’s further let down by the pedigree behind it and the overall jank. 2 lost a lot of the atmosphere, but it’s such a better realized product with a level of polish not present in the original.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I don't know if I'd call TEW2 a playground especially at the start where it's extremely easy to get your rear end killed if you approach a situation wrong

There's also still plenty of surreal areas and sequences, they just swapped out all the generic filler areas between those in TEW1 with an open world town

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Feb 20, 2022

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

man nurse posted:

Evil Within was wildly uneven at its best, but I feel like most of the malignant reputation it earned was from its technical shortcomings, both on console and PC. It doesn’t feel particularly good to play either. There’s neat ideas, and it effectively manages the feeling of playing through a bad fever dream, but it’s a frustrating experience that’s further let down by the pedigree behind it and the overall jank. 2 lost a lot of the atmosphere, but it’s such a better realized product with a level of polish not present in the original.

I found the blowback against it was because no matter what kind of horror game you were expecting, you were wrong. First it's a stealth-heavy game where you only have four bullets and enemies are everywhere. Then you get a crossbow that can shoot exploding bolts and you're tearing through enemies left right and center. Then there's a massive boss that's chasing you and you need to get to the set piece that can kill it. Then there's a teleporting ghost boss that kills you in one hit.

It's just all over the place, and some people are going to like that sort of thing, but if you're only a fan of one or maybe two of those styles of games, then you're stuck with the rest of it.

Also the plot was bizarre and as a player you don't really get enough of an understanding about what's happening unless you play the dlc

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Honestly like my biggest beef with it was kind of that too, almost all the pre-release was of Sebastian in the wooded and town area and it gave off an extremely different vibe from what it unravels to.

I've come to like 1 plenty more as time's gone but that was still a real big "Egh" for a long time.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

https://twitter.com/adsk4/status/1495530138922283008?t=239Gxaj-2dIrE6MjKBLmFg&s=19

Poor Ito

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
oh dear, those replies...

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
well at least he's not ranting about biochips

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What's the context?

Tbh Pyramid head is such a cool character that has been completely ruined by stupid memes, fan art and people trying to milk money out of it. It's a shame.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Feb 21, 2022

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
whats wrong with the fanart

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
pyramid daddy

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tired Moritz posted:

whats wrong with the fanart

Fan art is the worst. All of it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

veni veni veni posted:

Fan art is the worst. All of it.

The surest sign that someone on the internet is real, real old

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I might be old, but using your artistic skills to suck off or meme the gently caress out of some product you are consuming will never not be the lamest use of your own talent. Not to mention it often undermines the intent of the original creators and fucks up whatever they were trying to do for everyone, because the initial concept becomes a joke.

For something more recent just look at the big lady from RE8. Some 10 foot tall old timey lady with giant claws chasing you around, ducking under normal sized doors was actually a pretty great horror concept. By the time the game came out it was impossible to even look at as horror because of all the memes and fanart. it all felt like some comical character. If I hadn't read a bunch of stupid poo poo on the internet I feel like I could have appreciated it so much more.

Pyramid Head was the creepiest poo poo when that game came out and now he's just straight up comedy because everyone decided to do their own thing with it. It's fine. I'm not trying to "stop" fan art or whatever, because it would be totally futile, but I do think people should try to make their own ideas instead of bandwagoning other peoples ideas

That's not even taking into account that half of it is just people trying to make their cartoons easier to masturbate to. Fan art blows.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
The horror is coming from the thread again

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Growing old and having old people opinions loving suck poo poo

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
Pyramid Head was ruined by official products not named Silent Hill 2, and if you don't think RE8's Big Scary Goth Mommy was designed explicitly to go viral I don't know what to tell you

and worry less about what other people jerk to, maybe

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It's not Ito's fault that Konami sucks rear end. Fan art is going to be made of anything, ever, and that's probably not the reason he's upset.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Honestly If someone drawing goofy Pyramid Head stuff legitimately devalues the character for you, then I feel that's a personal hang-up and not some kind of indictment of fan art. That's not how most people engage with media, especially not with the game that has an ending where a shiba inu with headphones was actually behind the main character's horrible wifemurder guilt-torture nightmare.

Like despite people writing stories about Kirk and Spock loving since the 70's Star Trek endures as a franchise and I don't think anyone particularly cared what Roddenberry's dead rear end thought of it.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I saw an unlicensed t-shirt that featured Bugs Bunny smoking a joint; I no longer find the rabbit humorous

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Big Lady had tits the size of her head and an rear end to match, she was never going to be actually scary until she turned into Resident Evil Giant Monster and even then her design kinda sucked for that because it was all monocolor blobby poo poo. Fanart had nothing to do with it.

Moreau is the scariest of the Four Lords because he lets you know he’s the best. :colbert:

Bussamove fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Feb 21, 2022

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Bussamove posted:

monocolor blobby poo poo.

I had to look this up because your description made it sound like a repeat of RE6 / Evil within 2 were women turn into giant cum monsters. Happy to see it's just a normal boring monster instead.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Fan art is how media transcends the small bubble it exists in and without fandom SH2 would exist as a curiosity forgotten 20 years ago instead of remembered forever. And maybe that cheapens the original in hindsight but it doesn't erase it from existence you can always experience SH2 as it existed back then.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Everything that this poor guy does has six thousand people in the comments pinging him for details about pyramid head, I wouldn't be surprised if he is sick to death of it.

VVV I mean yeah, he might be sick of it but he's not an idiot, he knows what made him famous.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Says the man with a pyramid head avatar.