Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

theroachman posted:

A buddy and me recently got this game demo'd at a small con. The above rule was left out by the dude that gave us the rules explanation. I made some risky bids in the first rounds on tiles that had 6 workers on them, and got outbid on all of them, locking my meeples in with no return whatsoever. So in the second round, my opponent had more meeples than me and could easily outbid me on the tiles that had my workers on them, which he did. By third round, I guess he had about 3 times more meeples than me. I passed after about 4 actions while he kept using his engine to make more green meeples. Final round was me trying to upgrade some tiles for points and him scooping up 6 winter tiles and flipping all his village tiles to the points side. Final score was about 25 vs 140. I don't like keyflower. In fact I hate it. I rationally know that we played with the wrong rules and that's why it was so broken, but the whole thing was such a frustrating experience that I don't know if I'll ever be able to play that game again without getting angry.

Ouch yea, that's really rough. It can be a rage inducing game even when played correctly, can't imagine what it would be like leaving something that important out. I really would recommend giving it another shot though, it's probably my favorite middle weight euro nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Fat Samurai posted:

I thought that was the point :confused:

Keyflower is a friendly game of NO NO gently caress YOU DON'T USE THAT TILE

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Impermanent posted:

Similarly, 4th edition D&D is a mechanically superior product to 5th edition, but it isn't what many people want because it asked different questions of its players and GMs than those posed by other editions. It wasn't "bad" or "not D&D," just a very different design that got a lot right. Ultimately, the newer edition is simpler and less good about giving players of different charcters the same amount of agency, but the new edition is what most people imagine D&D to be like. Betrayal and Cosmic are what people imagine a good time with their friends playing a board game to be like. Those games naturally inspire jokes and comments and teasing in a way that a tense, quiet game of Agricola won't, at least not until all players are very familiar with the game.

Sorry, but 4th edition is totally "bad" and "not D&D". It's a fine minitures combat game, if you want a more complex version of Heroclix, but it it certinaly an inferior roleplaying system to 3rd edition. You can't just make whatever you want, and because it has some fighters and wizards and goblins call it "D&D", there is more to that than just window dressing!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

PRADA SLUT posted:

Broken Token

Ha, what, no. I mean, yes technically you can get Broken Token in Canada, if you're willing to pay more than half the cost of the product in shipping.

$29.99 organizer, $17.59 shipping. gently caress that.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
MakingFun Dominion updated last night. But someone left the debug mode flag on when they compiled. So everyone was running in debug mode with extra console access and connected to the dev server instead of live.

The Aristocats.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Rutibex posted:

Sorry, but 4th edition is totally "bad" and "not D&D". It's a fine minitures combat game, if you want a more complex version of Heroclix, but it it certinaly an inferior roleplaying system to 3rd edition. You can't just make whatever you want, and because it has some fighters and wizards and goblins call it "D&D", there is more to that than just window dressing!

Oh my god is this actually happening

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Rutibex posted:

3rd edition D&D is literally the Talisman of roleplaying games. Horrifically imbalanced even before the game starts, relentlessly expanded, and inexplicably held up as good.

Garlic Wraith
Dec 10, 2015

Dracula's nemesis

It's back in stock on Cardhaus!

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I wanted to poke fun at susd list for the self-imposed obligation to promo each column at their site, which is why there's a token wargame each year, or the inflated representation of stuff covered by matt ward, but then I remembered (with regards to space alert complexity bashing while propping up Twilight Empire etc.) that the a long time ago quinns melted down because of perceived complexity of phantom leader, of all things.

And then few months later thought its a good idea to try cover Virgin Queen by himself.

What I'm trying to say is rutibex quinns buy fields of fire.

PS. Also I like it when quinns like to repeat how EXTREMELY EXHAUSTED he was after an EPIC CAMPAIGN of loving memoir 44.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Command & Colors games are on the lighter end of all the board games I own, and they are nothing but random luck fests anyway, so I don't know how it could be anything but relaxing to play Mem44.

Buy FoF Rutibex.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

theroachman posted:

A buddy and me recently got this game demo'd at a small con. The above rule was left out by the dude that gave us the rules explanation. I made some risky bids in the first rounds on tiles that had 6 workers on them, and got outbid on all of them, locking my meeples in with no return whatsoever. So in the second round, my opponent had more meeples than me and could easily outbid me on the tiles that had my workers on them, which he did. By third round, I guess he had about 3 times more meeples than me. I passed after about 4 actions while he kept using his engine to make more green meeples. Final round was me trying to upgrade some tiles for points and him scooping up 6 winter tiles and flipping all his village tiles to the points side. Final score was about 25 vs 140. I don't like keyflower. In fact I hate it. I rationally know that we played with the wrong rules and that's why it was so broken, but the whole thing was such a frustrating experience that I don't know if I'll ever be able to play that game again without getting angry.

Wait, how did he have more Meeples than you in the 2nd round? You don't lose meeples if they lose a bid. Looks like he made more mistakes than you thought.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Rutibex posted:

Source your quotes.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Wow I didn't know Rutibex wrote for RPS - http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/12/15/talisman-cataclysm-expansion/

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

ruti i don't think you got the definition of a 'forever game' right in this case.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

quote:

Fundamentally, Talisman is a roll-and-move adventure game. It has extremely solid foundations upon which everything else is built.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

A board feature has become playable, in just one example of how transformative this new expansion seems to be. Talisman seems to be endlessly adaptable. And that’s because it is a wonderful board game.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Talisman isn’t the most popular game with board game fans. It’s too “”random”, too “light”, too long. But those who love the game – people like me – really love it. And we want it to be expanded forever. And isn’t it fascinating that it probably can be?

...And here’s why – there is a purity to Talisman that makes it a pleasant place to visit. Like reading an old storybook, it’s so easy to flick through. It’s warm. And as new elements are added to it, as new stories are written, the purity of the game’s design allows for a perfect balancing act to be performed. Freshness is introduced, but it all still remains familiar. It all feels right.

:D
This guy sure knows how to review a boardgame! He's hitting all the right notes, it is nice to finally be validated by the mainstream media. This guy understands, Talisman isn't for your German cube counting elitist boardgamer, its the peoples game, a game that anyone can play, and anyone can win. A billion tiny adventures in a box!

Lord Frisk posted:

Buy FoF Rutibex.

I am starting to be tempted to, but I fear everyone is trolling me for some reason.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

5/10 of the adventures are 'you are beaten by the troll' -> 'you are beaten by the goblin' -> 'you are beaten by the dragon', but disregard that!

I'm both an RPGer and a board gamer, and if I want stories, I choose the former. Why limit yourself! Why bring boundaries to your imagination? Talisman is a roleplaying game for people bad at roleplaying, and from your views of 4e, I can see that this is certainly true for you, Rutibex.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

No troll here, it honestly looks like a game you'd enjoy. Plus it's just a deck of cards, so it's infinitely portable.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tekopo posted:

5/10 of the adventures are 'you are beaten by the troll' -> 'you are beaten by the goblin' -> 'you are beaten by the dragon', but disregard that!

I'm both an RPGer and a board gamer, and if I want stories, I choose the former. Why limit yourself! Why bring boundaries to your imagination? Talisman is a roleplaying game for people bad at roleplaying, and from your views of 4e, I can see that this is certainly true for you, Rutibex.

Bad at roleplaying? Well maybe, I mostly was the Dungeon Master, and all of my NPCs were just me with different funny voices. The players kept coming back though, as my combats encounters were usually pretty good, and my moderation was fair. Half the time I was simply a referee, as the party would descend into a melee of in-violence as soon as they found any kind of powerful magic item. I encouraged this by only having one good piece of loot per dungeon :twisted:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Rutibex posted:

Bad at roleplaying? Well maybe, I mostly was the Dungeon Master, and all of my NPCs were just me with different funny voices. The players kept coming back though, as my combats encounters were usually pretty good, and my moderation was fair. Half the time I was simply a referee, as the party would descend into a melee of in-violence as soon as they found any kind of powerful magic item. I encouraged this by only having one good piece of loot per dungeon :twisted:

Wait, so you made the game all about combat and light on roleplaying, and then complained that the game is all about combat and light on roleplaying?

I'd say I'm surprised, but that would be a lie.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
People were (rightfully) confused by my criteria of looking for "compact" games for taking to my friend's place in the city a few pages back, so I thought I'd check in and say, I just picked up Samurai Spirit and man it embodies just what I meant. Elegant, well-designed packaging that's super compact in a way that's frankly aesthetically pleasing as well as useful for me. And it doesn't even skimp on having tons of chits and pieces, either, it's just well thought out. Forbidden Island is another good example. Let's take a moment to appreciate games that aren't Descent or Arkham Horror.

edit: On the other hand, no female characters in the game (samurai or bandits) but the helpless villagers? That's a little lame, especially for a game where the historical accuracy is on the level of "this dude turns into a bear".

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 16, 2015

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Okay so I'm not getting the game (Scythe, that is), but when I see posts like this: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jameystegmaier/scythe/posts/1444795?ref=backer_project_update I am sorely loving tempted to. And the one previous about how he's planning the box to contain things very well.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Morpheus posted:

Okay so I'm not getting the game (Scythe, that is), but when I see posts like this: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jameystegmaier/scythe/posts/1444795?ref=backer_project_update I am sorely loving tempted to. And the one previous about how he's planning the box to contain things very well.

I went in on it because i'm a pretty dumb guy so i'm sure in a year or so (+ up to 2 extra years) i can tell you if its a bad game.

I am cautiously optimistic but I am for sure not betting on receiving it in any sort of time frame, as it is, after all, kickstarter.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Morpheus posted:

Stonemeier is the only company, board game or otherwise, on Kickstarter right now that I'm 100% confident in pledging to early. Even if they're not perfect I'm really happy with everything he's put out, and the quality and materials are always top notch, he's super communicative, and hasn't missed a deadline yet.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
You can expect this one on time - it's a Stonemeier games product. However, it will probably wind up being roughly 80% as good as you had hoped. Overall the design will likely be slightly too light or not quite tight enough to justify how beautiful the components are.

At least, that's how most Stonemeier games go for me. Between Two Cities is an interesting change. It's a perfect filler game for people who play heavy games, and a good introductory game for people who don't play many games. It wasn't designed by Jeremy, though. I'm hoping that the slightly light mechanics work well in a 4x, since those games frequently rely at least a little bit on negotiation and politics to make work.

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 16, 2015

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Morpheus posted:

You may have convinced me to fund my first kickstarter.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

A now bloated, but light, adventure game replaces the original world in an expansion called Cataclysm you say?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Speaking of Stonemeier, has anybody tried Viviculture Essential yet?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Just played a game of Giants, a simple pick and carry game about building anatomically incorrect stone faces and then putting funny hats on them. I'm under the impression that some kind of bid for first player would be beneficial. I spent most of the game stealing ahus from the next player, and he never got the chance to go first given that the game ended in 4 turns.

Is that the one where bobvonunheil made Stelas cry through poor use of paint?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Acolyte! posted:

Mission: Red Planet is more of a French take on El Grande. It's in space, like you said, but that's about where things end. I get that there was a lot of Cosmic Encounter talk in the thread, but to say Mission Red Planet is a "good version of Cosmic Encounter" isn't helpful to anyone when they are nothing alike.

Crackbone posted:

I wouldn't say it's related to Cosmic Encounter in any way, but I do love M:RP. I feel like it hits the sweet spot of complexity/strategy/time for a game.

I probably could have phrased that better, you two are right. I agree they're not mechanically similar, I was more thinking about the feel and flow. More of a refinement of concept, rather than mechanics.

Both are very much about picking how and when you help other players to advance your own agendas (CE: whenever possible, MRP: occasionally), competing to get things done more quickly (CE: All in all day MRP: without breaking your own back), and getting people onto places other folks control. How you go about these goals is very different, but I don't think it's fair to say the two games have literally nothing in common besides space.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

Is that the one where bobvonunheil made Stelas cry through poor use of paint?

In the same vein, YEAH WELL gently caress YOUR WOOD.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Crackbone posted:

Speaking of Stonemeier, has anybody tried Viviculture Essential yet?

I kickstarted it, received it the other week, and have played 3 or 4 games solo, none multiplayer yet. I never played the original or Tuscany, so I can't compare it to those.

The components and board are really well made and beautifully designed (as long as you don't mind that all the images of people are obviously attempted portraits of Kickstarter backers). I like that a quick reference key for every aspect of the game is printed right on the board and player mats. The Automa cards do their job. There's not much to them, but they also aren't meant to feel like a human opponent as in COIN games. They're just meant to act like the Mage Knight dummy while also limiting player choices each turn to keep the game more interesting.

It's too early for me to judge the mechanics. It's definitely not a point salad Euro--everybody needs to make some wine in order to win. I can see how this could bottleneck with everyone fighting for planting spots early in the game and order-filling spots toward the end, but I can also imagine ways around that. The bonuses for choosing to go later in the turn order are pretty big. The visitor cards also play a huge role. One major complaint about the original version was that some visitor cards are overpowered. Maybe they fixed that for the essential version or maybe I haven't noticed since you get a handful of them throughout the game so it balances out.

Feels much more relaxed than many Euros and less dependent on constantly calculating optimal VP acquisition paths. I like that you can see everyone's score the whole way rather than something like Castles of Burgundy where you have to calculate a zillion tiny bonuses after the game is done. What remains to be seen is if it offers much strategic variety or if your path is just determined by the cards you're dealt.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Tekopo posted:

I'm both an RPGer and a board gamer, and if I want stories, I choose the former.

Once Upon a Time is a great game for stories.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Fiasco is *really* good for stories.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I like The Quiet Year for that, too.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

golden bubble posted:

Wait, how did he have more Meeples than you in the 2nd round? You don't lose meeples if they lose a bid. Looks like he made more mistakes than you thought.

No no, we knew that lost bids came back to their owner at the end of the round. It's just that I had first used some meeples as workers, and later on I bid on those tiles with my left over meeples to get the workers back and get the tile. But I was outbid by my opponent, and we didn't know that I could move my losing bid over to somewhere else during the round. So at the start of summer, I had less meeples and I think only 1 new tile in my town while he had 3.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I kinda wanna get The Bloody Inn since it looks pretty interesting and is in a nice small box for easy transport. Anyone played a few games of it? Is it solid?

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
I've played a couple of 2p and 3p games of it yeah. I like it. It's reasonably short so you can bang out multiple games or use it as a filler.
It has good depth, every decision you make changes your opponents' options and you need to work through most of them to make sure nobody can screw up your plans. I think there's a fair bit of overlap with low player count 7 wonders as going deep in 1 color can give good results and you need to predict which cards your opponents want to have, except you're taking turns drafting from a set of open cards.

The theme is ok but the art on the cards is a bit bland in comparison. If they'd gone full macabre/horror it might have worked better.

Don't get it for the solo mode, it's just a 'beat X points' progression where you try to best your previous game until you can't anymore. It also loses a lot of strategic depth.

edit: If you're looking for a portable card game with about the same player count, you should also look into Greed by Donald X. It seems to have flown under the goon radar.

theroachman fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

silvergoose posted:

Fiasco is *really* good for stories.

Fiasco is an RPG