Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLNb0Jd4_ws

is a dope cinematic even if the imperius voice is different from in game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Paranoid Peanut posted:

Even the thread seems different.

It turned into a postmortem discussion. :shrug:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Mierenneuker posted:

You know they gave up on the game when they were taking recommendations from Reddit.

I mean multiple places have been asking for him for a long time.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Woooow another angel warrior :effort:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

I would've taken floaty armor angels over pretty much every OW character.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I dont get the OW hate

most of the characters have been unique and interesting

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Moola posted:

I dont get the OW hate

Tiresome gimmick mobility on most of them in like the only game of these where you can't buy more mobility, making them prone to being frustrating get out of jail free characters, on top of overpicked, overbearing assassins.

Genji, the height of overly-mobile assassin bullshit. Tracer, also high up there with overly-mobile assassin bullshit. D.va, overly-mobile tank bullshit for a while at least. Lucio, created more problem characters with his boost. Junkrat, not that egregious since at least mine jumping takes any thought. Hanzo, occasional annoying wall hop junk and otherwise whatever. Ana, no dumb mobility but another problem character creator. Zarya, fine outside of being stupid for a while.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Dec 29, 2018

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
most of that is just like, Blizzard is bad at balancing and doesn't understand what will be clearly overpowered before releasing a character

I'd like to see more OW characters that could bring new gimmicks to the game (gimmicks are good and cool). Reinhardt would be neat, a tank that can be flanked to ignore their defences; as would Phara, a character that could ignore walls.

At least I would have liked to have seen those characters before blizz brutally stabbed this game in the gut and left it to bleed to death

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:
Junkrat is my favourite and now most played character, so I especially don't want him lumped in with genji and tracer. And as with almost all characters, OW characters have definite weaknesses. I really don't see any reason why they're super bad except tracer or genji. They definitely skewed the board, and they could've probably been reworked or something.

God, I love playing junkrat. Too bad the talents are pretty weakly balanced. I end up picking the same in almost every game.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the problem with adding them is there are a bunch of classic blizz characters that aint been added. it's like smash when they keep adding fire emblem or some nobody from persona.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Moola posted:

I'd like to see more OW characters that could bring new gimmicks to the game (gimmicks are good and cool). Reinhardt would be neat, a tank that can be flanked to ignore their defences; as would Phara, a character that could ignore walls.

See I feel like if they'd picked more interesting characters to start that roster, the OW characters wouldn't have the majorly venomous reputation they receive. I don't even play OW anymore and haven't in a while so whatever on how they are now, but for a plenty, way too long time Genji, Tracer etc. were already super frustrating and constant douchebag slam picks in OW, so shoving them into another game to be overpowered assholes in rubbed a lot of people badly, combined with the previous bit of having gimmicky super-mobility in a game where you can't just buy blink dagger or something to even the score.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Dec 29, 2018

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I love playing as/against Junkrat, Ana, Diva and Zarya are decent, but drat if Genji and Tracer don't make me want to rip my hair out on a regular basis.

I think it's the combination of being able to attack while on the move and having strong escape/dive abilities that make them ideal for harassing you when you're at a disadvantage while on the flipside making it difficult to catch them with their pants down. When they're doing well it feels like the other team can't even touch them.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
I legit miss my dead gay game. I treated you so badly while you were alive. Now here you are, dead.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Junkrat owns

I agree with the Tracer hate, feels bad when shes tracing you down and dealing huge damage by just holding right click near you

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Tracer would be a lot more tolerable if her attacking on the move only worked when she was moving towards you and facing you

Genji would be a lot more tolerable if his attacking on the move was melee range

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Groovelord Neato posted:

the problem with adding them is there are a bunch of classic blizz characters that aint been added. it's like smash when they keep adding fire emblem or some nobody from persona.

Adding Joker is cool, weenie

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Kith posted:

Tracer would be a lot more tolerable if her attacking on the move only worked when she was moving towards you and facing you

Genji would be a lot more tolerable if his attacking on the move was melee range

Genji doesn't actually attack on the move. He has to stop to AA like everyone else, it's just that his AA is delayed over the time of three shurikens and he can move once the attack has gone off.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Yeah you at least have to stutter step with Genji.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Bogart posted:

it'd be fine if dozens of known characters hadn't been skipped over for whoever he is.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Groovelord Neato posted:

it'd be fine if dozens of known characters hadn't been skipped over for whoever he is.

They're adding in Piranha Plant too, what more do you need

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Mind over Matter posted:

Genji doesn't actually attack on the move. He has to stop to AA like everyone else, it's just that his AA is delayed over the time of three shurikens and he can move once the attack has gone off.

I'm aware of that, but given the mechanics of his Basic Attacks, that's effectively what it is. Genji has no attack windup because his "time spent attacking" is resolved over those three hits instead of windup > hit. He doesn't have to wait a fraction of a second to actually initiate his attack whereas characters like Arthas or Cassia have to, so stutter-stepping with him is significantly easier than any other character.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
I think blizz thought that having genji/tracer being incredibly powerful was going to bring in a ton of overwatch players over to hots even though nobody who plays OW cared about this game

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Groovelord Neato posted:

You are out of your mind. Persona is huge

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah especially domestically. Kindof funny how Nintendo keeps getting all the biggest Playstation exclusive characters.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Bogart posted:

They're adding batman characters now?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
they should have added Chie instead

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

I think blizz thought that having genji/tracer being incredibly powerful was going to bring in a ton of overwatch players over to hots even though nobody who plays OW cared about this game

No, they were desperate to include Overwatch characters as close to "as-is" as possible because they felt that would be more "authentic", but failed to examine how this would compare against more traditional designs. Hanzo's extended Attack Range is a great example of this: he never needed it but got it anyways because "he's a sniper character" (nevermind that it basically obsoleted Raynor at the time).

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
it's doubly funny that some OW characters have had major overhauls so no longer resemble their hots counterpart

thats a hearty lol from me

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

the hots team also really, really consistently underestimated how powerful mobility is
see: how everyone and their mother used to have cleanse and bolt of the storm, despite them obsoleting all the other picks on that level

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Bogart posted:

You are out of your mind. Persona is huge

i'm old so no.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

Who is some vital classic character from nintendo that's a better add than Joker? :confused:

Groovelord Neato posted:

i'm old so no.

Persona started in 1994.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Persona is Shin Megami Tensei for babies awkward teenagers(?)

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Dec 30, 2018

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Cuntellectual posted:

Who is some vital classic character from nintendo that's a better add than Joker? :confused:

Unironic, 100% honest answer: Waluigi.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Cuntellectual posted:

Doshin the Giant

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

KazigluBey posted:

Unironic, 100% honest answer: Waluigi.

mods?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

“Gonna play a quick game of vs AI today and that’s it. Let’s play some Ana.”

[Team is Abathur, Ana, Deckard, Morales & Murky]

“Carry us, Murky, we’ll heal.”

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Mierenneuker posted:

You say this like Nano Stim AbaMurky isn’t a beast.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

At level 20 murky ends up with 3.5k hp w/ big tuna Kahuna

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Mierenneuker posted:

So it was a very easy game against the AI is what you're saying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Elysium posted:

You say this like Nano Stim AbaMurky isn’t a beast.

He is, but I actually ended up spending a lot of time with Morales and just using mercs and the Dragon Knight to push. So we ended up boosting one another a lot, just because we could. Nano Boost Morales :thumbsup:

Macaluso posted:

So it was a very easy game against the AI is what you're saying

Yup, just the team fights were a bit different than usual.