Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
A happy fairy!

The happiest fairy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The only thing that I would say comprises a 'power base' that the court would worry about is Kat and her Robot God status, and I don't think the Court knows about that.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

SHISHKABOB posted:

I'm p sure a certain trustable someone said coyote never lies, and that is the most dangerous part about him.

He doesn't need to lie, when the exact meaning of "becoming god" is so unclear. What does he mean by "god"? What does he mean by "becoming"?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They want to control the aether directly. The current state of affairs is "human has beliefs" > "human dies and becomes one with the aether" > "aether is reshaped the smallest bit by that human's beliefs" > "aggregate of human beliefs has power over reality".

The court wants to bypass those parts where you have to die to have any effect on the nature of reality and your effect is a tiny weight in an incredibly large whole.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Cat Mattress posted:

He doesn't need to lie, when the exact meaning of "becoming god" is so unclear. What does he mean by "god"? What does he mean by "becoming"?

Well it probs has to do with that big huge blast of ether stuff we saw in that one chapter with the lake and the kids sneaking out and poo poo. That sort of suggests something to me.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

BobTheJanitor posted:

While I doubt things would really come down to a straight up fight.

Can it end any other way? The tension is killing me.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Coyote's interpretation of "becoming god" could just be "to have the most fun!"

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

SHISHKABOB posted:

I'm p sure a certain trustable someone said coyote never lies, and that is the most dangerous part about him.

You're missing why it's the most dangerous part of him; Coyote is as insane as he claims humanity to be, and his interpretations of things can change on a whim. Coyote bold-facedly believes whatever he's saying at the moment, and he never lies.

Going back on what he said? Well, that's about as normal for Coyote as scratching an itch.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Any good liar can tell you that to be a good liar you have to, in part, at least, believe the things you're saying. You've got to be able to convince yourself before you convince anyone else. Coyote is so good at lying that he totally 100% believes the things he's saying and they aren't lies any more. But that doesn't mean that they're true, either.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
And so why would Coyote lie about the court trying to become god when we've seen evidence of the court sucking up souls out of the water and beaming it to parts unknown with a big huge crazy contraption?

This isn't just something we've heard only from the doggie's mouth, we've seen it ourselves practically.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

SHISHKABOB posted:

And so why would Coyote lie about the court trying to become god when we've seen evidence of the court sucking up souls out of the water and beaming it to parts unknown with a big huge crazy contraption?

This isn't just something we've heard only from the doggie's mouth, we've seen it ourselves practically.

I'm pretty sure Jones also confirmed this, at least implicitly.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I mean poo poo guys, even coyote thinks it was a dumb answer: http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=497 lmao

http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=723 oh the secrets of the experiment are kept secret... even from Jones! Sort of like how the decision of who was to be the court medium was kept secret from Jones. Makes u think.

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 15, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dawwww!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
A sad page. Is... is it the saddest page?

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

eriktown posted:

A sad page. Is... is it the saddest page?

It is.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
But we've already had the saddest page a few times before!

*checks numbers* 1379 times to be exact :pseudo:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You better be able to pull off this visit, Annie. :colbert:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Well that was a short chapter I think.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Well, that took a turn for the bittersweet to end the chapter.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Kikas posted:

Well that was a short chapter I think.

It sure felt that way but actually wasn't much shorter than average. Maybe that was so because there wasn't huge drama or tension.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Is it just me, or did Tom do something a bit different for the backgrounds this chapter? They felt way more watercolored. It was very pretty, and I think that's a big part of why I liked this chapter so much even though so little happened.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Awww man, I'm still in touch/visit with my best friend I've known since I was 10. I moved away from home back in 2004. I think my face leaked a little bit.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

This chapter was really nice-for some reason the use of colours and how they worked together stood out more than usual-but that Coyote keyring is amazing and I must (eventually) have one.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
So we had a forest chapter and the only lines from Coyote were repeating "Party!" eight times. That's both disappointing and hilarious.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
It's all sad and adorable now but Annie is going to be scarred for life when Ysengrin kills the rabbit and she hears its final screams. :stonk:

But it'll make a nice parallel to the call of the fox page.

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah

Parts Kit posted:

It's all sad and adorable now but Annie is going to be scarred for life when Ysengrin kills the rabbit and she hears its final screams. :stonk:

oh christ, the screenshots from the old watership down movie popped into my head when you said this.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Parts Kit posted:

The next page: http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1263

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
Oh come on now, what's with you guys? This is a happy-tears moment, not a sad-tears moment.

The happiest page! :unsmith:

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Parts Kit posted:

It's all sad and adorable now but Annie is going to be scarred for life when Ysengrin kills the rabbit and she hears its final screams.

Ysengrin's having rabbit for dinner.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Wittgen posted:

Is it just me, or did Tom do something a bit different for the backgrounds this chapter? They felt way more watercolored. It was very pretty, and I think that's a big part of why I liked this chapter so much even though so little happened.

That's generally the style Tom uses for Forest Shenanigans chapters. Kind of like how the ether is vibrant and the Court is dull and muted.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.

BobTheJanitor posted:

When you put it that way, it makes me wonder why Annie and company haven't tripped more alarm bells among the court leadership. I imagine that they keep the court under surveillance in some way, and it would be hard to miss the power base that these kids are building, intentionally or not. Either they really don't know, or they've got some even more powerful tricks up their sleeves to counter it. While I doubt things would really come down to a straight up fight, you still think the court want to be prepared for it. If nothing else, they surely likes being in control of things.

Most likely it's an arrogant (and extremely adult) belief that because they are still children, Annie and her friends are unable to enact change. That's probably also why the court went without a medium for so long. Instead of having one of the many capable adults perform the duties of the Medium as an interim appointment, the court chose to allow the position to remain vacant until suitable children were available because children are much easier to influence and control than adults.

Oh, and they probably don't realize how much (or even at all) the robots deify Kat. And even if they have some idea of it, it is unlikely that they believe she can or will pose much of a threat.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

quote:

@gunnerkrigg

Looks like Gunnerkrigg Court was nominated for a Harvey Award!
18. Best Online Comics Work

BATTLEPUG, Mike Norton, https://battlepug.com
THE DREAMER, Lora Innes, https://thedreamercomic.com
GUNNERKRIGG COURT, Tom Siddell, https://gunnerkrigg.com
JL8, Yale Stewart, https://jl8comic.tumblr.com
TABLE TITANS, Scott Kurtz, Steve Hamaker, and Brian Hurtt, https://tabletitans.com

Vote page (for comic-book creators only)

e. Previous winners:
2006 American Elf
2007 Perry Bible Fellowship
2008 Perry Bible Fellowship
2009 High Moon
2010 PVP
2011 Hark! A Vagrant
2012 Hark! A Vagrant
2013 Battlepug

Kennel fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 17, 2014

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Even by the standards of this comic, that chapter is gorgeous.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

amishjosh posted:

oh christ, the screenshots from the old watership down movie popped into my head when you said this.
But have you heard a rabbit scream? Gory cartoon screenshots are one thing, but that sound is horrid.

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah

Parts Kit posted:

But have you heard a rabbit scream? Gory cartoon screenshots are one thing, but that sound is horrid.

one of my grandmothers cats discovered rabbits on the property and killed a couple of them, the sounds they made were absolutely horrible

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Parts Kit posted:

The railway line next to my house has lots of rabbits living in the banks. Sometimes I'll be out in the garden and can hear them getting eaten alive by foxes. :ohdear:

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

GabrielAisling posted:

Oh, and they probably don't realize how much (or even at all) the robots deify Kat. And even if they have some idea of it, it is unlikely that they believe she can or will pose much of a threat.

The robots seem to be keeping that on the down low for now, which is an achievement in and of itself for them.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Or more likely no one gives a poo poo about what the robots do.

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

SHISHKABOB posted:

Or more likely no one gives a poo poo about what the robots do.

OG Necromancer fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jul 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Not pictured: Smitty in the background proceeding to drop the rabbit off a cliff.