Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Andrast posted:

Without going into the quality of the game itself, please don't defend Bethesda's lovely version of Gamebryo. It's a terrible engine.

Seriously, literally every single review, even the very glowing ones, have criticized the technical issues. People defending it have their heads buried in the sand. Bethesda probably won't go much further than one or two more games before ditching the engine entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

The fact that I can put doggles and a bandana on this dogs is cool as poo poo.

Also this game is pretty awesome. Runs beautifully on my computer and looks great.

This game is A#1 in my book

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

lewtt posted:

if you guys were wondering, here's where a good portion of the budget went:

http://orcz.com/Fallout_4:_Recorded_Names_List

i'm renaming my character "Assface"

The list posted:

Names that DON'T WORK:

Shepard

You're not fooling anyone, Bethesda.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Can I ignore the base building stuff after doing the initial 5 of everything poo poo in Sanctuary? It's just so boring and got the clunkiest ui.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

This is a bad game. Maybe mods can fix it. I like some of the systems and design choices and some of the character writing is enjoyable even if the plot and world building overall are bad. The upgrade system for armor and weapons is real smart and I am kinda warm to the perk system. The base building is the most half assed waste of time. There is no reason to do it unless you want to make easy money in a non intended way with selling water. Not that money matters because there is basically three vendors in the entire game and two are closed half the time.

I had a lot of fun customising guns because I could tailor them to my playstyle. What I didn't enjoy was the scrounging around for screw or oil or duct tape so I could get to the fun part of using the gun I had designed. Players don't like picking all that useless loot so let's make it mandatory but have a use seems backwards to me. It's still not fun to go looking into every cornering the room because I hope I come across something with copper in it.

I play a lot of old and classic games so graphics aren't a big deal to me the games landscapes can look downright pretty at times thanks to the color palette they chose but the human models and animations and lip syncing is just so bad. The ui is also a total mess on console and pc in a lot of ways.

I'm ipad posting from bed or I would go into more specific examples.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

quote:

Names that DON'T work

Adolf

bah

conversation piece
Sep 19, 2015
The implication that synths can seamlessly replace other humans is a serious :can: for the plot

After Preston said something along the lines of "they seem alright enough to me" I immediately got all :tinfoil: like OMG HES ONE OF THEM I KNOW IT

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Seriously, literally every single review, even the very glowing ones, have criticized the technical issues. People defending it have their heads buried in the sand. Bethesda probably won't go much further than one or two more games before ditching the engine entirely.

I'm not defending it, but crying "Gamebryo" every time there's a crash or you see someone walking inside the wall that's not because they are using the same engine since Morrowind, mostly because they don't.

Suddenly changing the engine from ground up won't fix anything.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

A. Beaverhausen posted:

All hail the corporate overlords, may we always thank them for the crumbs they deign to give us.

I mean honestly, I've never even said this or any other Bethesda game is bad, just that it's been the exact same for an inordinate amount of time. Forgive me, I'll leave the hug box to itself.

Stick around, just ignore Bholder, he's been a giant idiot since day 1 of these threads, defending really lovely standards like they were Bethesda's by right and nobody should complain about anything, ever, first because the game wasn't out yet and we hadn't even tried it and now he's going to spin it around with it's already out so it is too late to do anything.

Because only the status quo is good enough.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I've only dabbled a bit and got through the tutorial laser musket/power armor bits, but yeeep this is basically a more well done Fallout 3 for better or worse. Already considering starting over because my PC suffers from some serious Bethesda face and actually seeing her talk in cutscenes is creeping me out. Anyway, questions for someone less dumb than I am;

-I'm not sure how to 'activate' that INT 5 perk that supposedly gives you better crafting after selecting it; everything I scrap just turns to wood and steel either way. Bug or am I retarded?

-How do I leave my power armor on the rack at the gas station? It seems like you should be able to but the whole thing seems kind of vague.

-Is there a list of names that the game recognizes around yet? I tried 'Reagan' on a lark and nailed it, so I'm curious to see how deep the rabbit hole goes (yes, I know about Fuckface and Boobies).

-Are there better settlements elsewhere that you get to pretty early on? Living in the bombed-out remains of my old house and being constantly reminded of the fact that my family and the life I knew is gone forever seems kinda tacky!

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

cheesetriangles posted:

This is a bad game. Maybe mods can fix it. I like some of the systems and design choices and some of the character writing is enjoyable even if the plot and world building overall are bad. The upgrade system for armor and weapons is real smart and I am kinda warm to the perk system. The base building is the most half assed waste of time. There is no reason to do it unless you want to make easy money in a non intended way with selling water. Not that money matters because there is basically three vendors in the entire game and two are closed half the time.

I had a lot of fun customising guns because I could tailor them to my playstyle. What I didn't enjoy was the scrounging around for screw or oil or duct tape so I could get to the fun part of using the gun I had designed. Players don't like picking all that useless loot so let's make it mandatory but have a use seems backwards to me. It's still not fun to go looking into every cornering the room because I hope I come across something with copper in it.

I play a lot of old and classic games so graphics aren't a big deal to me the games landscapes can look downright pretty at times thanks to the color palette they chose but the human models and animations and lip syncing is just so bad. The ui is also a total mess on console and pc in a lot of ways.

I'm ipad posting from bed or I would go into more specific examples.

I like having a reason to scrounge around for the random bits of junk. Having more poo poo that's good to find is good for me. Finding a good source of adhesives or aluminum is like Christmas. I enjoy anything that lets me loot more things with a purpose.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008
Well this is pretty stupid. From Forbes' review:

quote:

In the end, Cait wasn’t very useful, but I kept her around for the banter and for her to hold extra gear. Companions will like you more if you behave in ways they approve of, so after my thousandth picked lock, Cait and I were the best of friends, with her spilling her tragic life story to me. It all ended with her asking if I had feelings for her, and when I told her I did as well, I…failed.

Yep, I failed the 50 hour love story with my companion.

This is because like so many other conversations in the game, my “final confessions” moment with Cait was tied into a chance-based Charisma tree, where I had only minimal points invested. But even if I had more, the system is still severely screwed up.

What the gently caress? I could understand if they made it so you had to have a certain level of Charisma to have companions be attracted to you, but this is really dumb.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

-Is there a list of names that the game recognizes around yet? I tried 'Reagan' on a lark and nailed it, so I'm curious to see how deep the rabbit hole goes (yes, I know about Fuckface and Boobies).

Third post on this page man - http://orcz.com/Fallout_4:_Recorded_Names_List

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Anyone else having problems using a dual shock 4 with the game? It's randomly assigning buttons all over the place. I'm using DS4 windows tool.

edit: oh the game actually supports the DS4 natively! I just turned the tool off.

Nerolus
Mar 12, 2010

"He smells like roast chicken, looks like burnt meatloaf."
I could talk for a long time about how much gamebryo sucks, but the fact is I just sat here on my rear end for hours and played the poo poo out of this game. Sure it might deserve to be hated on, but god drat this game rocks. I'd feel like a jaded rear end in a top hat to talk poo poo now. Sure some of the UI is a clunkfest but I can get past it. I mean poo poo, I forgot how lovely it was after a few days in Skyrim. I enjoyed the few hours I played tonight. So far I dig the characters and to call it visually appealing would be a massive understatement (PC version).

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Climbing to the very top of the Corvega Factory in a constant firefight while it was raining, then getting to the top as it finally cleared up, is the defining moment of the game for me thus far. I just sat up there for a little while looking at the horizon and realizing this was but one dungeon.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Dumb question, but how do I unequip power armor? Couple hours in, after the quest to use that minigun to kill the raiders, I can't figure out how to exit the armor. If I go to the armor tab in pipboy and unequip or even drop all the items, it still shows me in the armor, just without a helmet or whatnot

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

regulargonzalez posted:

Dumb question, but how do I unequip power armor? Couple hours in, after the quest to use that minigun to kill the raiders, I can't figure out how to exit the armor. If I go to the armor tab in pipboy and unequip or even drop all the items, it still shows me in the armor, just without a helmet or whatnot

Hold E or whatever the controller button you pressed to get in was. It says this in a little tutorial message, but it does so as you get in, so it's easy to miss.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Should I just use the PS4 controller on this game? I usually can't stand shooters with anything other than mouse/kb, but I've been using the PS4 controller in GTA and I actually prefer it.

Is this game just better off with a controller? I need a new keyboard/mouse so if the controller is better I might not bother buying new gear.

Randomzx
Jul 26, 2007

Nerolus posted:

I could talk for a long time about how much gamebryo sucks, but the fact is I just sat here on my rear end for hours and played the poo poo out of this game. Sure it might deserve to be hated on, but god drat this game rocks. I'd feel like a jaded rear end in a top hat to talk poo poo now. Sure some of the UI is a clunkfest but I can get past it. I mean poo poo, I forgot how lovely it was after a few days in Skyrim. I enjoyed the few hours I played tonight. So far I dig the characters and to call it visually appealing would be a massive understatement (PC version).

The quest design is still lazy and mmo-ish, the world is more full of empty content than Fallout 3, and it still follows the sycophant theme park design, especially with how it trivialize both power armor and deathclaw in the same breath early on.

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!
So I can run the game on Ultra, which is nice, but the frame rate fluctuates between 30-60 constantly. Is there anything in the ini file that I can mess with to lock it at 30fps?

Edit: Should also probably explain that even on Low it's giving me this weird FPS business. I tried unlocking the frame rate but it just went even crazier and gave me awful screen tearing.

HnK416 fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Nov 10, 2015

live free or dont
Apr 13, 2012

Ultra graphics. When I load the game it looks good for a while and then stops loading textures. Everything is like that and I've set textures to Ultra and the fade settings to the highest level and they still don't load.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Randomzx posted:

The quest design is still lazy and mmo-ish, the world is more full of empty content than Fallout 3, and it still follows the sycophant theme park design, especially with how it trivialize both power armor and deathclaw in the same breath early on.

Power Armor needed to be introduced early since it's a completely different kind of mechanic in Fallout 4, one that permeates the entire game rather than only the endgame. Deathclaw might've been a little trivialized but since I was on Very Hard he was two shotting me so I basically ended up needing to cheese him with buildings and doorways so maybe not that much?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

revmoo posted:

Should I just use the PS4 controller on this game? I usually can't stand shooters with anything other than mouse/kb, but I've been using the PS4 controller in GTA and I actually prefer it.

Is this game just better off with a controller? I need a new keyboard/mouse so if the controller is better I might not bother buying new gear.

It works 100% and even includes aim assist, something FO3 and Skyrim didn't have.
Don't need to use external software either, I found out that it runs natively.

HnK416 posted:

So I can run the game on Ultra, which is nice, but the frame rate fluctuates between 30-60 constantly. Is there anything in the ini file that I can mess with to lock it at 30fps?

Edit: Should also probably explain that even on Low it's giving me this weird FPS business. I tried unlocking the frame rate but it just went even crazier and gave me awful screen tearing.

Need to turn on triple buffering through your card's control panel. If it drops below 60 it'll go all the way to 30 to sync with your monitor.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Is there a way to get lots of oil?

Krolm
Nov 10, 2004

friendly and non-threatening

Bleak Gremlin
Has anyone had a problem similar to this?

At certain angles, apparently only inside (didn't have it outside) I get this weird rear end horizontal line on the screen; it's like a darker bottom half.

It seems to clip UNDER my character, so it seems lighting related.

If I turn around, or look more up/down it's gone.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
i like basically everything about this game except the dumb conversation wheel.

but literally everything else is pretty rad. and the gunplay/gunfeel is really really good.

E: also have yet to encounter any bugs. there was like one where the local map doesn't show up until I restart the pip boy but that's literally it.

e2: also crafting is a lot of fun

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Nov 10, 2015

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

drat, and I literally read the four pages prior to this and missed it. I'm an idiot. Thanks!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

According to that list "Furiosa" works.

e: a lot Mad Max ones. Humongous, Toecutter, etc

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Nov 10, 2015

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Infinity Gaia posted:

Hold E or whatever the controller button you pressed to get in was. It says this in a little tutorial message, but it does so as you get in, so it's easy to miss.

Thanks! I'd tried every key but hadn't held down E for a second or two.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The Iron Rose posted:

but literally everything else is pretty rad. and the gunplay/gunfeel is really really good.

E: also have yet to encounter any bugs. there was like one where the local map doesn't show up until I restart the pip boy but that's literally it.

I've run into a couple bugs but nothing particularly awful. The usual physics bugginess happens from time to time with things flying off wildly, and I've had two or three occasions where textures failed to load until I fast traveled away from a location and back. Oh and exactly once (when leaving the vault at the very start) I got stuck after using a terminal. But for having played 10 hours of an unpatched Bethesda game this is a very good record so far.

Krolm
Nov 10, 2004

friendly and non-threatening

Bleak Gremlin

Krolm posted:

Has anyone had a problem similar to this?

At certain angles, apparently only inside (didn't have it outside) I get this weird rear end horizontal line on the screen; it's like a darker bottom half.

It seems to clip UNDER my character, so it seems lighting related.

If I turn around, or look more up/down it's gone.

Just to follow up on this; it doesn't seem to happen in borderless windowed/ 2560x1440.

Apparently yet another game that doesn't properly support 4k resolutions.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

The Iron Rose posted:

I have run into several bugs, but nothing game-breaking so far. Mostly annoying (subtitles stop working in the middle of a conversation) to funny (no clip ghouls, floating objects). I think there is a lot to complain about. I think a lot of the things that the chumps have filled this thread up with for pages and pages are completely fair criticisms, even if the sheer volume of it is completely nonsensical. I still don't care. Game is an easy 9/10.

Randomzx posted:

Here is my hot-tip for you: if you give even the slightest poo poo about the sanctity of power armor or death claws then shut the gently caress up. That sequence was fun as hell.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Does this game give you a ton of levels early or is the XP gain from 10 intelligence kind of gamebreaking? I just got like 3 levels from doing the first minutemen quest

edit: I'm impressed how little Bethesda jank there is now. Also holy gently caress they made ghouls a little more interesting to fight now that they run more unpredictably and can be dismembered

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
I seem to have lost my companion, and the little tutorial message on how to command them when theyre not right in front of you disappeared before I could read it. What am I supposed to do to command them around?

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

I like that they recorded the name Deckard, I know how im setting up my next character now.

Randomzx
Jul 26, 2007

Failboattootoot posted:

Here is my hot-tip for you: if you give even the slightest poo poo about the sanctity of power armor or death claws then shut the gently caress up. That sequence was fun as hell.

Congratulations, you are the casual audience that Bethesda panders to.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

Power Armor needed to be introduced early since it's a completely different kind of mechanic in Fallout 4, one that permeates the entire game rather than only the endgame. Deathclaw might've been a little trivialized but since I was on Very Hard he was two shotting me so I basically ended up needing to cheese him with buildings and doorways so maybe not that much?

My deathclaw somehow got stuck in the sewer it spawns in and just ran back and forth glitching in the hole while I shot it on survival mode.

Randomzx posted:

also LMAO at this post

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Randomzx posted:

casuals don't get emotionally invested in the game, they play for fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterbase
May 18, 2011

Randomzx posted:

Filthy casuals in my sandbox single player RPG.

• Locked thread