Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Holy poo poo, Targets is an amazing movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Egbert Souse posted:

And a pretty good store.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Snak posted:

Late on DS3 chat, but caestus is really fun in DS3 and punching bosses to death is always awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kr7KDCsIws

I liked this video.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Maybe if you're some sort of hippy.

The only real white people are Germans and the English but only Germans from Saxony and only English that aren't from too far oop North.

I was going to call you out for using words without a saxon/germanic root until I realized I don't know enough about language to do that. (Hippy probably has it's roots 20's African American slang, but you were using it as an insult, so I didn't count it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I was refering to the writings of Benjamin Franklin
"Which leads me to add one Remark: That the Number of purely white People in the World is proportionably very small. All Africa is black or tawny. Asia chiefly tawny. America (exclusive of the new Comers) wholly so. And in Europe, the Spaniards, Italians, French, Russians and Swedes, are generally of what we call a swarthy Complexion; as are the Germans also, the Saxons only excepted, who with the English, make the principal Body of White People on the Face of the Earth. I could wish their Numbers were increased. And while we are, as I may call it, Scouring our Planet, by clearing America of Woods, and so making this Side of our Globe reflect a brighter Light to the Eyes of Inhabitants in Mars or Venus, why should we in the Sight of Superior Beings, darken its People? why increase the Sons of Africa, by Planting them in America, where we have so fair an Opportunity, by excluding all Blacks and Tawneys, of increasing the lovely White and Red? But perhaps I am partial to the Complexion of my Country, for such Kind of Partiality is natural to Mankind."

But yeah. A lot of slang has its roots in jazz culture in the early 20th century. See: cool, hip, gig, lame, jive, groovy, hipster, baby (as a term of endearment), Bad (as in good), the bomb (see cool), corny, square, muggles, pot, reefer, etc. etc.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 18, 2017

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Multiple Maniacs :stare:

:stare:

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxAIaFyxzig

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Egbert Souse posted:

It's truly wild.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

So as far as Wonder Woman goes, I'm not wrong for finding buff, Dark Souls Boss David Thewlis to be absolutely hilarious, right

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Egbert Souse posted:

Yeah I went to see it when it was restored and it's pretty nuts. I kept thinking it was ending but it just kept getting crazier and crazier.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FreudianSlippers posted:

I was refering to the writings of Benjamin Franklin
"Which leads me to add one Remark: That the Number of purely white People in the World is proportionably very small. All Africa is black or tawny. Asia chiefly tawny. America (exclusive of the new Comers) wholly so. And in Europe, the Spaniards, Italians, French, Russians and Swedes, are generally of what we call a swarthy Complexion; as are the Germans also, the Saxons only excepted, who with the English, make the principal Body of White People on the Face of the Earth. I could wish their Numbers were increased. And while we are, as I may call it, Scouring our Planet, by clearing America of Woods, and so making this Side of our Globe reflect a brighter Light to the Eyes of Inhabitants in Mars or Venus, why should we in the Sight of Superior Beings, darken its People? why increase the Sons of Africa, by Planting them in America, where we have so fair an Opportunity, by excluding all Blacks and Tawneys, of increasing the lovely White and Red? But perhaps I am partial to the Complexion of my Country, for such Kind of Partiality is natural to Mankind."

But yeah. A lot of slang has its roots in jazz culture in the early 20th century. See: cool, hip, gig, lame, jive, groovy, hipster, baby (as a term of endearment), Bad (as in good), the bomb (see cool), corny, square, muggles, pot, reefer, etc. etc.

Jesus gently caress, I was just trying to make a joke about the old English nationalist stereotype that words with French roots are weaker words, then half remembered something about the word hippy.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Pépé le Moko is a good movie guys

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

So as far as Wonder Woman goes, I'm not wrong for finding buff, Dark Souls Boss David Thewlis to be absolutely hilarious, right

As that Happy Souls video indicates, lightning rules.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

:getin:

It's in the top 10 kaiju films.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Egbert Souse posted:

I got to see the restoration in theaters. That was my reaction.

That it has since been accepted into the Criterion Collection makes it all weirder.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So uh, yeah, how about that American Gods finale?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Skwirl posted:

Jesus gently caress, I was just trying to make a joke about the old English nationalist stereotype that words with French roots are weaker words, then half remembered something about the word hippy.

That's because French words are posh upper-class words due to the whole Norman invasion thing. You know how the words for animals are usually Germanic: sheep, bull, swine , sheep, deer, etc. since the people tending to the actual animals were Anglo-Saxons while the words for their meat are Latin: beef, pork, mutton, venison since the people eating most of the meat were Normans.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

The guy doing the blue herring gas was a more interesting character.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Man do I ever love the end of this movie. One of my favourite French Poetic Realism films.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

That's because French words are posh upper-class words due to the whole Norman invasion thing. You know how the words for animals are usually Germanic: sheep, bull, swine , sheep, deer, etc. since the people tending to the actual animals were Anglo-Saxons while the words for their meat are Latin: beef, pork, mutton, venison since the people eating most of the meat were Normans.

I know that's part of the idea, but there's also dumb bullshit like "Winston Churchill's 'We shall meet them on the beaches' speech only uses Anglo-Saxon word's except for 'surrender' as a dig at the French"

Also you listed sheep twice.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I really like sheep.

I also like sheep.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

But in a totally platonic way. I have not had any sort of sexual relations with any sheep living or dead.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Taintrunner posted:

So uh, yeah, how about that American Gods finale?

Its too good! gently caress!

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Really liked Jean Gabin in the few movies I've seen him in.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Bokeh is basically a mockbuster with slightly above average cinematography. So it's like at Kevin Smith levels. It's not a good look.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

married but discreet posted:

Its too good! gently caress!

Do you want to know my name?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Thrill! As Maika Monroe talks about To Kill a Mockingbird in a clean, un-rented apartment!

edit: This movie blows. Like, the last two other 2017 movies I saw with themes of 'tainted love' and deism were The Resurrection of Gavin Stone and Fifty Shades Darker, and that's a low threshold it didn't even manage to jump.

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jun 19, 2017

It Just Got Worse
Oct 30, 2012

It's hysterical, and even better that the flashback shows him to have always looked like that, 'stache and all

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Coaaab posted:

Really liked Jean Gabin in the few movies I've seen him in.

Grand Illusion and Touchez par au grisbi are perfect films.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I can't loving even

https://twitter.com/anamariecox/status/876606989773807616

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
This Japanese animation archive keeps serving up hot gold, so here's another tragicomic short from the late '20s - The Nation of Fish, a cautionary tale http://animation.filmarchives.jp/works/playen/5229

Soundtrack this time around was the first five-and-a-quarter songs on the Sixties Japanese Garage Psych Sampler, and holy poo poo is this comp good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo78tE6S_ug

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Tonight's Twin Peaks loving rocked.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Franchescanado posted:

Tonight's Twin Peaks loving rocked.

it did i liked it

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I'm so far behind on Twin Peaks it's shameful.

I'm rewatching Atlanta and owns though.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Popelmon posted:

Just watched Blow Out for the first time. Holy poo poo what an amazing movie that is. I really love Travolta when he is actually trying. And the end with the scream was just perfect.

I've been meaning to rewatch it, probably Travolta's best performance (and he has more great performances than he gets credit for)

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
So apparently when I wasn't looking TCM broadcast the Allied Artists killer tree movie From Hell It Came - along with Kaltiki - the Immortal Monster, this is one of those movies my dad saw as a young'n and talked up for years when I was a kid. So I guess I know what I'm watching tonight. Sorry, Lotte in Italia.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I've been meaning to rewatch it, probably Travolta's best performance (and he has more great performances than he gets credit for)

Face/Off, Pulp Fiction, Grease, Saturday Night Fever (which I haven't actually seen) and what else?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
On Netflix I watched both the new Maria Bamford and Sarah Silverman standup specials and both were really strong. Bamford's was as weird as I'd expect from her. I was wondering where she could possible go from having a special where she performed only for an audience of her parents but she did manage to have a concept that, while not as weird, was very interesting and actually added something. The Silverman one was way better than I expected. I remember liking Jesus is Magic from when I was young but I also remember it being full of ironic racism and general shock humor that doesn't amuse me like it used to. Thankfully I'm not the only one that has grown in that way and while Silverman doesn't exactly shy away from that stuff, her standup has become more aware of that stuff, more careful while at the same time more intimate. It wasn't as interesting as the Bamford one but it was also stronger as straight up standup.

I also finished off the second season of Documentary Now and while it was a mixed bag it was still pretty strong and did a great job imitating the films it was making fun of (though sometimes to it's detriment with the largely too loving and joke free but very well made Stop Making Sense parody being the lowlight of the season). It helps that I still haven't managed to get over the "how the gently caress does this even exist" factor. Also the punchline to the "The Kid Stays in the Picture" parody was loving fantastic and justified the entire season alone.

I also finally caught up with Adventure Time and Steven Universe with both of them fairly recently having big arcs and both of them kicked a ton of rear end.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Travolta honestly mostly rules and is more often let down by the material than he lets down the material and sort of unfairly gets accused of the former anyways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Skwirl posted:

Face/Off, Pulp Fiction, Grease, Saturday Night Fever (which I haven't actually seen) and what else?

Carrie

• Locked thread