Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Oh no, Steve King has become a garbage human being. Because, you know, he wasn't already a garbage human being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

steve king never misses an opportunity to prove that he is the absolute loving worst

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

He's basically drawing a parallel between lawful protests protected by the 1st amendment and this shooting

because he's a horrible lovely person

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Chris Matthews must change the name of his insensitive Hardball program in light of recent events.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
I've mentioned this before, but I am the only person in my office that is not an arch-conservative.What I haven't mentioned, is that the shooter is local to me in the St Louis metro east. My coworkers are having a field day. I am earnestly concerned for my livelihood if I am "outed." (With respect to people for whom that term truly applies.)

But I am also forced to confront the fact that my belief in the morality of progressivism is shaken and that I perhaps should stand for authoritarian capitalists. Someone please talk me down.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Timby posted:

So ... Walter Sobchak finally snapped.

Say what you want about the tenets of Leftism, at least it's an ethos!

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Prester Jane posted:

But guys you know how The_Donald is well known for letting dumb things that validate their persecution complex go. This will totally blow over and does not mark a scene change in how the Right Wing discusses the left wing from here on out. I'm certain that the right will not discuss us as leftists if we are all dangerous threats just looking for an opportunity to pounce and I am certain that the way they speak about us amongst themselves will have no future consequences for any of us. They will quickly get distracted by something else and move on, you'll see. This will be blown over before you can finish a bowl of strawberry ice cream.

You wanted to convince people of how this event will have an effect on the the view of the greater population of rational, moderate people, and so you went to get an example of how /r/The_Donald is reacting?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I've mentioned this before, but I am the only person in my office that is not an arch-conservative.What I haven't mentioned, is that the shooter is local to me in the St Louis metro east. My coworkers are having a field day. I am earnestly concerned for my livelihood if I am "outed." (With respect to people for whom that term truly applies.)

But I am also forced to confront the fact that my belief in the morality of progressivism is shaken and that I perhaps should stand for authoritarian capitalists. Someone please talk me down.

lean into it, tell them that passing the ACHA will kill way more people than any one man with a gun

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Xombie posted:

Yes, Right Wing messaging is such an unstoppable machine that Trump has record low approval, Fox News is in a ratings tailspin, and the GOP can't actually pass any legislation despite holding all three branches of government due to their plans being so unpopular.

If that's what you drew from my post, you didn't bother finishing it.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

ZorajitZorajit posted:

But I am also forced to confront the fact that my belief in the morality of progressivism is shaken and that I perhaps should stand for authoritarian capitalists.

Why should your belief be shaken by some crazy dude who happens to have some similar beliefs than you? Why would you suddenly do a 180 on your beliefs, because heaven knows, right wingers have never murdered anyone?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sloober posted:

Somebody else wrote it down and he read it, he'll go off the rails when he starts tweeting

Yeah, but that he's passing up on his strongest opportunity, while it's still at its most recent and senators are still the hospital and it's all at its scariest, seems like it will make the inevitable attempts to turn in that direction and away from AHCA and scandal much harder for them.

rear end in a top hat GOP senators ranting about the violent left is less new and scares me less than POTUS and the DOJ doing so, so if they botch their chance to seize that position while the footing's still relatively firm then that's a less-bad sign than I had feared.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Bernie's going to address the elephant in the room.

https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/875020677060980736

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

BarbarianElephant posted:

Why should your belief be shaken by some crazy dude who happens to have some similar beliefs than you? Why would you suddenly do a 180 on your beliefs, because heaven knows, right wingers have never murdered anyone?

Pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

oohhboy posted:

If he tries you know he will gently caress it up.

"Today... we have seen the sad face... of RADICAL. LEFTIST. TERRORISM. Okay? I want to invite Congress to join ME in fighting this tide of VERY GREAT EVIL that I have been fighting for so long, as far back as when I revealed that BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA WAS BORN IN KENYA, as we all know. Later today I'm going to sign an Executive Order that will ban all leftists from holding public office, especially in the area of law enforcement. You can't trust these guys with guns. You just can't. And any investigations they may happen to be on will have to be started from scratch. And now I see a plane going overhead, and the captain wants me to wave at it. Wave at the plane, everyone!"

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Dehumanize yourself and face to filthy lucre.

(Or, you know, don't judge a philosophy by what it's worst ostensible proponents do, whichever sounds more fun.)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Sinteres posted:

I'm sure when Bernie says "violence of any kind is unacceptable" he actually doesn't mean it.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Xombie posted:

You wanted to convince people of how this event will have an effect on the the view of the greater population of rational, moderate people, and so you went to get an example of how /r/The_Donald is reacting?

What part of any of my posts lead you to believe I was discussing the way that rational, moderate people would react to this? I am speaking specifically of a type of extremist that I call a Narrativist, and I have been describing specifically how Narrativists will react to this situation. I'm not talking at all about how rational people would react to this and I strongly suspect you are just trolling me at this point because all my posts went well out of their way to illustrate that I am speaking specifically of Narrativists. The_Donald is specifically a den of right wing Narrativists and you can use The_Donald as a barometer for younger right wing Narrativists. That is why I showed an image of it.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

ZorajitZorajit posted:

You think any right-wing shitbird in America batted an eye when a racist shithead Trumper stabbed 2 men to death on a train in Oregon because they wanted him to stop harassing two "muslim-looking" women?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LaserShark posted:

"Today... we have seen the sad face... of RADICAL. LEFTIST. TERRORISM. Okay? I want to invite Congress to join ME in fighting this tide of VERY GREAT EVIL that I have been fighting for so long, as far back as when I revealed that BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA WAS BORN IN KENYA, as we all know. Later today I'm going to sign an Executive Order that will ban all leftists from holding public office, especially in the area of law enforcement. You can't trust these guys with guns. You just can't. And any investigations they may happen to be on will have to be started from scratch. And now I see a plane going overhead, and the captain wants me to wave at it. Wave at the plane, everyone!"

*Tries to find and hire a guy called Max Crackdown*

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Alter Ego posted:

I am not. I am trying to give serious consideration that the Right may now be demonstrated to present the superior moral position and that I, having identified as a progressive, have contributed to violence that would not occur were I to instead support the administration.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Alter Ego posted:

His post appeared sincere and was sincerely delivered.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

enraged_camel posted:

Absolutely incorrect. People here openly advocate punching Nazis, for example.

Of course.

I openly advocate punching Nazis in the face, but not shooting them as much as they may deserve it
If you can't see a line there, you're an idiot

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Spiritus Nox posted:

FWIW, that Trump's speech apparently isn't immediately going Max Crackdown is a less ominous sign than I had feared

There's a decent chance that Trump tries to use this and comes off tone deaf as gently caress. You have multiple GOP lawmakers who were there who are legit going to be shook as gently caress for a while (like anyone would be). All it takes is one stupid rear end tweet getting under one lawmaker's skin to set up a nightmare for Trump.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I am not. I am trying to give serious consideration that the Right may now be demonstrated to present the superior moral position and that I, having identified as a progressive, have contributed to violence that would not occur were I to instead support the administration.

Okay, now I think you're a troll.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Chilichimp posted:

You think any right-wing shitbird in America batted an eye when a racist shithead Trumper stabbed 2 men to death on a train in Oregon because they wanted him to stop harassing two "muslim-looking" women?

They didn't even seem to notice :( Despite one of the men being a Republican.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Sinteres posted:

Bernie has a real knack for attracting fanatics who do things he really doesn't want them to do.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

ZorajitZorajit posted:

The shooter is a piece of poo poo and even he is morally superior to most Republicans.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ZorajitZorajit posted:

What? really? One dude was it it took for you compared to the vast ocean of inhumanity that is republicans?

Nice gimmick.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Sinteres posted:

We already know that's true though.

But at the time the claims were being made they didn't

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

ZorajitZorajit posted:

You sound like a right-winger trying to pretend to be a progressive, but without any real idea of how progressives actually think, and so coming off really awkwardly.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Everyone knows that the proper physical response to a Nazi is somewhere between punching and shooting them, which is of course a Stone Cold Stunner.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

Prester Jane posted:

Awwwwwww fffuuuuuuccccckkkkkk. gently caress. Triple gently caress.

Oh my loving God this is the worst goddamn timing for this sort of thing. gently caress me the Narrativists are going to lose their poo poo and this is going to result in both a wave of vigilante violence targeted at every minority associated with the left but also a crackdown by the Narrativists in Law Enforcement (and lets face it, certain sectors of LE in this country are just a few degrees off from being full blown Racist Cluster cults).

Fellow Goons I'm afraid that the chances of some group of Oathkeepers opening fire on an Antifa or some militia doing something like opening fire on a Pride event just became much more real. Trump supporters are unhinged and embarrassed as gently caress right now and they have a deep psychological need for a good Enemy to agitate for violence against as a result. That facebook post just made every single leftist the Enemy and this is going to rapidly go from amusing Proud Boys slap-ins to livestreamed hatecrimes committed on minorities with Internet followings. and Trump will inevitably be egging his supporters on to attack us in order to draw attention away from himself the entire time.

America just took a turn into a very, very, very loving dark place.

Don't forget corporate liberals making GBS threads on progressives because "horseshoe theory"

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

SocketWrench posted:

I openly advocate punching Nazis in the face, but not shooting them as much as they may deserve it

Indeed, you'd be classified as a Conscientious objector in the war against Nazis.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

SocketWrench posted:

Legit question: if you punch and punch and the nazis start pulling guns do you cease punching?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Bernie has a real knack for attracting fanatics who do things he really doesn't want them to do.

Its part of the whole outsider appeal, you pick up a bunch of people disconnect from norms. Similar to how Trump stirred up all of the racists or Ron Paul with libertarians, social outsiders like political outsiders

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Authoritarian capitalists shoot random minorities instead of politicians. So your cool.

Note. I do not advocate shooting anybody and this guy has only managed to make things scary as gently caress. Also he's an rear end in a top hat.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Has anyone heard from mcmagic? :supaburn:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Dick Trauma posted:

Has anyone heard from mcmagic? :supaburn:

if mcmagic was going to do this it'd have been at the patriots stadium a year or two ago

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Glumslinger posted:

Its part of the whole outsider appeal, you pick up a bunch of people disconnect from norms. Similar to how Trump stirred up all of the racists or Ron Paul with libertarians, social outsiders like political outsiders

Only in America would Bernie be an leftist outsider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Anyone who sees a silver lining in this is dead wrong. A government that's ever more isolated from the people they represent is going to be even less responsive to the needs of the people than they are now.

https://twitter.com/swin24/status/875020846846357504

• Locked thread