Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
edit: gently caress this thread

The Sean fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Sundae posted:

(Thanks!) I actually wish I had more good stories to share that aren't actual feel-good stories. I have no workplace insanity to share anymore. :(

My company pointed a barely shielded directional radiation source at a shared parking lot, which is a step up because it was previously pointed at one of our neighboring companies. The does rate wasn't very high AFAIK, maybe one extremity x-ray an hour off axis and behind a wall, but I doubt anyone would be happy to know they were being irradiated because my company is too cheap to shield.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

lol the VP saw that he was assigned to that category and said "hell loving no"

thanks for having my back, veep

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
“Hey looks like it’s just you and me on this weekly conference call; let’s go through the entire agenda with particular attention to the items that concern neither of us.”

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

MickeyFinn posted:

maybe one extremity x-ray an hour off axis and behind a wall.

Some googling suggests that's about 3x average background rate, which I would not dismiss as negligible. Is that actually compliant with radiation safety regulations? (It's clearly not best practice)

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

FrozenVent posted:

“Hey looks like it’s just you and me on this weekly conference call; let’s go through the entire agenda with particular attention to the items that concern neither of us.”

Bonus points if neither of you know what's happening with those items

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Weatherman posted:

"What do you mean I'm not answering my phone? Of course I don't take personal calls during work hours!"

Pretty much how I view things is: if my job says I’m not allowed/supposed to take personal calls at work, then I’m not taking work calls at home on my personal time. Working for an MSP that requires carrying a work cell 24/7 made me put my foot down on having my personal life interrupted for bullshit reasons. Thankfully my current job doesn’t require on call nor do I carry a company phone, it’s beautiful having balance back after 5+ years of dealing with that (plus getting paid 25% more helps).

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
How on earth do contract agencies always manage to find internal work phone numbers? :confused:

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Sundae posted:

How on earth do contract agencies always manage to find internal work phone numbers? :confused:

I've had them call the front desk to be transferred over to me.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Sundae posted:

Social Engineering.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

SlapActionJackson posted:

Some googling suggests that's about 3x average background rate, which I would not dismiss as negligible. Is that actually compliant with radiation safety regulations? (It's clearly not best practice)

As far as I can tell, the limit is 100 mrem total, probably ok here, or a rate of 2 mrem an hour, which this definitely exceeded. (link) Several people warned the person in charge this was not a good idea as it is certainly unethical and probably illegal, but the response was that insurance exists to take care of the consequences, so here we are.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

MickeyFinn posted:

it is certainly unethical and probably illegal, but the response was that insurance exists to take care of the consequences, so here we are.

Wait, this isn't the OSHA thread...

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Gonna murder whoever it was in our group that made this PMP Word template I have to fill in for a project I’m starting. Somehow, they managed to set it so that if the “major milestone” table goes beyond a single page, it brings the whole table to the new page and leaves a blank page with just the header and there’s nothing I can do about it.

Also there seem to be a random smattering of page breaks all over so if o got beyond some arbitrary length and I get big blank pages between sections or paragraphs and fuuuuuck.

Been spending more time fighting formatting than actually documenting this stupid project plan.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

No Butt Stuff posted:

lol the VP saw that he was assigned to that category and said "hell loving no"

thanks for having my back, veep

Managing Upwards: Successful!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

MickeyFinn posted:

As far as I can tell, the limit is 100 mrem total, probably ok here, or a rate of 2 mrem an hour, which this definitely exceeded. (link) Several people warned the person in charge this was not a good idea as it is certainly unethical and probably illegal, but the response was that insurance exists to take care of the consequences, so here we are.

How unfortunate that there's no agency this could be reported to, anonymously.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Some sort of agency that oversees workplace disease causing issues?

Or an organisation that issues licenses to people who use radioactive sources?

I’m at a loss here.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
I am neither a lawyer nor an insurance person but I am pretty sure you can't get an insurance plan that will indemnify you against the consequences of deliberately irradiating people

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

something something not covered for gross negligence something

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Motronic posted:

something something not covered for gross negligence something

something something not covered for willful felonies

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

Yeah I'm no underwriter but that claim would never get through anywhere ever.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

Like there are huge red flags, the least of which is there's an implied life contingency with radiation.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Zil posted:

Social Engineering.

Like calling the front desk and asking for a random name, then when they don't exist asking for whoever is responsible for $THING now. Or getting a referral from Random Name because they want you to go away.

Or since they're an agency, having someone they already placed trawl through the employee directory.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

MickeyFinn posted:

You should really report that poo poo.

Shooting people up with X-Rays without their consent or knowledge is not acceptable.

The plant I worked at had a limit of 2mrem. (If you were at 0 for a reason and reached 2, they wanted to know what you were up to.)

**Edit, oh hey you wrote that in your sentence which I did not finish reading. My bad.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Mar 14, 2018

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Just gave my two weeks, felt pretty good. :toot:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Some of our stores have been getting those stupid PA Games of Skill not-technically-gambling machines and the whole thing is a tremendous pain in the rear end of everyone in the entire accounting/finance department

Tom Wolf please ban them. Please.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
edit: gently caress this thread

The Sean fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 24, 2020

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Been at work for four hours today and have done maybe 20 minutes of work AMA

Sydin posted:

Just gave my two weeks, felt pretty good. :toot:

Nice!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Currently coming to the end of my third consecutive hour of teleconference.

:suicide:

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

FrozenVent posted:

So you got your nails clipped, gave yourself a pedicure, and have been randomly yelling while mashing the mute/unmute button, right?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

C-Euro posted:

Have you taken your federally mandated poop while on the clock yet?

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

FrozenVent posted:

My strategy is to listen for any long pauses and say "Yeah yeah that sounds good."

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I haven’t said a thing since “yeah I’m here”, it’s mostly been a vendor explaining their product then internal yelling back and forth for the past 90 minutes.

I’m not sure why I’m on the call.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

The Sean posted:

Congrats! :toot:

Thanks. :) New job is public sector and I've already been warned things move a bit slow (it took HR two weeks to approve my hiring paperwork and give me an offer after I'd already gotten a handshake agreement with the hiring manager, no warning signs there at all :v:) but it's a huge pay bump, the benefits are out of this world, and it's a pretty big step forward career-wise on top.

FrozenVent posted:

I haven’t said a thing since “yeah I’m here”, it’s mostly been a vendor explaining their product then internal yelling back and forth for the past 90 minutes.

I’m not sure why I’m on the call.

It's a shame we have such a perfect thread title already, because Corporate America: I'm not sure why I'm on the call has a nice ring to it.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Sydin posted:

Thanks. :) New job is public sector and I've already been warned things move a bit slow (it took HR two weeks to approve my hiring paperwork and give me an offer after I'd already gotten a handshake agreement with the hiring manager, no warning signs there at all :v:) but it's a huge pay bump, the benefits are out of this world, and it's a pretty big step forward career-wise on top.

If anything, that's fast for public sector hiring.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

docbeard posted:

If anything, that's fast for public sector hiring.

If I remember right, the UN takes something insane like 3 years to be able to hire a new person to do the photocopying

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

mllaneza posted:

Like calling the front desk and asking for a random name, then when they don't exist asking for whoever is responsible for $THING now. Or getting a referral from Random Name because they want you to go away.

Or since they're an agency, having someone they already placed trawl through the employee directory.

I'm thinking it has to be the employee directory thing, because they even had my work background / internal resume right. It wasn't a straight cold-call without background on the individual.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Sundae posted:

I'm thinking it has to be the employee directory thing, because they even had my work background / internal resume right. It wasn't a straight cold-call without background on the individual.

For me it was Indian cold callers cross referencing basics on my linked in profile to our company directory.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Higgy posted:

For me it was Indian cold callers cross referencing basics on my linked in profile to our company directory.

I still get spammed by Indians on Indeed.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Renegret posted:

Have you taken your federally mandated poop while on the clock yet?

I worked out last night so I've taken two so far today, owned capitalists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

C-Euro posted:

Nice!

Why so productive today?

I could get all the work I get done in a week in a day if I tried most weeks.