Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Pathways and Marathon are explicitly tied together; Halo not so much although True Fans never gave up hope that there was some secret connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Only tangentially classic FPS related but I figured you guys would get a kick out of this glitch I'm experiencing in Google Music.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Mak0rz posted:

Only tangentially classic FPS related but I figured you guys would get a kick out of this glitch I'm experiencing in Google Music.
The drive is experiencing discRoTT.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Mak0rz posted:

FOV seems like an interesting problem in first person perspective games, not only from a technical and design perspective ("what FOV is best for this gameplay and world design?" etc.), but just also from the perspective of ergonomics. Is there an article or anything out there that covers that topic?

I know Wolfenstein and Doom have 90-degree fields of view because Carmack just went with a square and decided that was good enough (and, for most, it was). I'm not affected by it, but I know many people who get motion sickness as a result of wonky FOV values such as that used in Source engine games and the aforementioned Marathon. They can tell it's due to the field of view because fiddling with its values makes them not sick. I find it really strange.

Apparently, according to Wikipedia, the FOV of human sight (with two eyes) is just shy of 180 degrees :barf:, though about 114 degrees of that is usable for binocular vision.
did Half Life 2 have an unconventional FOV? It's the only game I've ever played that gave me motion sickness. It was the Xbox 360 Orange Box version, if that makes a difference.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

RyokoTK posted:

Halo was supposed to be an RTS game like Myth -- essentially, it was supposed to be Halo Wars.

Alex Seropian came out and said that Halo was never intended to actually be related to Marathon outside of the easter egg stuff like the Marathon emblem being the UNSC emblem, or plot similarities like Durandal and Cortana undergoing the same "rampancy." The gameplay is not similar, really, outside of them both being FPS games.

There are some similarities in the gameplay though, although that's probably just more Bungie's style, it definitely wasn't an intentional sequel.

But both games have you fighting alien dudes (sphit/elites) and rescuing allied marine dudes. I guess half-life had you rescuing scientists but not a whole lot of FPS games have allied units, a ton of them are just you against the world of badguys. Having marines around to look up to you was a huge part of what made you feel like a badass in Halo. (Starting with when you crash land on the halo itself and everybody dies but you)

Minidust posted:

did Half Life 2 have an unconventional FOV? It's the only game I've ever played that gave me motion sickness. It was the Xbox 360 Orange Box version, if that makes a difference.

Half-Life 2 you can change the FOV I think, but the default is normal for FPS PC games.

But on console its always different, so yeah probably. Console games are designed with an FOV for people on a far away couch, not people sitting right next to a monitor like on a PC. The futher away the game window is the lower the FOV should naturally be. If you press your face right up against the screen you almost get some peripheral vision, you can get over 100 degrees to feel pretty comfortable, but if you walk 20 feet away now its like you're staring through a telescope, so the viewport should be a much smaller FOV or else it'll feel weird. But exactly how much smaller is comfortable can be a personal choice.

The gently caress are you doing playing Half-Life 2 on a 360? :colbert:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 14, 2015

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Zaphod42 posted:

but not a whole lot of FPS games have allied units

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Mak0rz posted:

FOV seems like an interesting problem in first person perspective games, not only from a technical and design perspective ("what FOV is best for this gameplay and world design?" etc.), but just also from the perspective of ergonomics. Is there an article or anything out there that covers that topic?

I know Wolfenstein and Doom have 90-degree fields of view because Carmack just went with a square and decided that was good enough (and, for most, it was). I'm not affected by it, but I know many people who get motion sickness as a result of wonky FOV values such as that used in Source engine games and the aforementioned Marathon. They can tell it's due to the field of view because fiddling with its values makes them not sick. I find it really strange.

Apparently, according to Wikipedia, the FOV of human sight (with two eyes) is just shy of 180 degrees :barf:, though about 114 degrees of that is usable for binocular vision.

Wasn't 90° pretty much standard until widescreens and console FPSes became a thing? Instinctively, it feels like there was a shift in the early-mid '00:s to the cramped and myopic 60-75 that seems to be the norm today.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Not sure it counts when most people play single player in multi-player mode just to avoid those allied units :cheeky:

:rip: Superfly Johnson.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Thanks for ruining history, John et al.

I wasn't aware such a thing existed. You learn something new every day.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Minidust posted:

It did. Even the PC version defaults to 75°. Of course, being a PC game, you could adjust it to a more-normal 90° or something. I'm not sure what the limit was in the main menu, but the console let you set it to whatever (although it's considered a cheat that requires sv_cheats 1).

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
There wasn't an option in the menu, and most Valve games still don't have a menu fov option except for TF2.

I remember the airboat was like a 45 fov or something crazy that made a lot of people sick.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Shadow Hog posted:

It did. Even the PC version defaults to 75°. Of course, being a PC game, you could adjust it to a more-normal 90° or something. I'm not sure what the limit was in the main menu, but the console let you set it to whatever (although it's considered a cheat that requires sv_cheats 1).
Aha! Well that makes sense then.

Zaphod42 posted:

The gently caress are you doing playing Half-Life 2 on a 360? :colbert:
I had a really old PC at the time!!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Minidust posted:

I had a really old PC at the time!!

:ohdear: It's the only time I've beaten it, despite playing it many, many times almost until the end on PC.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Speaking of hosed up weird Half-Life ports, did anyone ever play HL1 Dreamcast on real hardware back in the day? It's kind of a pisser to emulate because of Windows CE and I'm curious as to how it played before the plug was pulled.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

The Kins posted:

Speaking of hosed up weird Half-Life ports, did anyone ever play HL1 Dreamcast on real hardware back in the day? It's kind of a pisser to emulate because of Windows CE and I'm curious as to how it played before the plug was pulled.

My friend way back then claimed to have a copy of the game bootlegged, but I never believed him. I know Dreamcast games were easy as gently caress to pirate (there's virtually zero copy protection and you can use normal CDs) but Half Life never saw retail.
Apparently it's a real thing.

For what it's worth, the PS2 version is really awesome. I remember it actually being 60FPS.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The Kins posted:

Plays pretty OK, but I did always use the Dreamcast keyboard and mouse. There were some annoyingly long loads on occasion but it really could have been released just fine, even though Sierra decided to pull the plug because the system was dying.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

My friend way back then claimed to have a copy of the game bootlegged, but I never believed him. I know Dreamcast games were easy as gently caress to pirate (there's virtually zero copy protection and you can use normal CDs) but Half Life never saw retail.
Apparently it's a real thing.

For what it's worth, the PS2 version is really awesome. I remember it actually being 60FPS.

Yes, what was essentially the production master copy got leaked years ago and it plays just fine on the Dreamcast.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

The PS2 version also used the high-def weapons pack from Blue Shift which was neat.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I played tons of Unreal Tournament on Dreamcast. I remember being disappointed that the "Morpheus" level didn't work in split screen. Other than that, and the control scheme being a little weird out of necessity, I thought it was great. At the time I was only comparing it to other split-screen console games, though.

Quake II on PS1 was neat, and I always wished more people would play that with me instead of Goldeneye. I don't know the FPS count on those games, but Quake II felt much smoother to me.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Quake 2 PS1 also had a unique boss to that version which was rather fun to fight. (maybe it was also in the N64 version too?)

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Nintendo Kid posted:

Plays pretty OK, but I did always use the Dreamcast keyboard and mouse. There were some annoyingly long loads on occasion but it really could have been released just fine, even though Sierra decided to pull the plug because the system was dying.

Sometimes I really wonder if video game companies understand sunk costs. Even with the system nearing death, surely they would have made more money releasing it than it would have cost to complete, considering it was basically done.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

abagofcheetos posted:

Sometimes I really wonder if video game companies understand sunk costs. Even with the system nearing death, surely they would have made more money releasing it than it would have cost to complete, considering it was basically done.

What I've heard is that they'd even commissioned a strategy guide to be written for it, so it really doesn't make sense to not just eat the disc printing and book printing costs to try to get some money back.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Minidust posted:

I played tons of Unreal Tournament on Dreamcast. I remember being disappointed that the "Morpheus" level didn't work in split screen. Other than that, and the control scheme being a little weird out of necessity, I thought it was great. At the time I was only comparing it to other split-screen console games, though.
Dreamcast UT was very cut down compared to the PS2 version. To give an example, the DC version only has one player model while the PS2 version has a fighting-game style character select, complete with announcer name callouts.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

The Kins posted:

Yes. I actually got decently far into it, as well, and with the DC controller, no less (ie: ABXY move, analog aimed).

It ran okay. Saves practically took up the entire VMU, though.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

abagofcheetos posted:

Well, it wasn't entirely done, since it has a pretty bad save game bloat bug, and they probably got all their money back when they ported Blue Shift to PC.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

arcsig posted:

The PS2 version also used the high-def weapons pack from Blue Shift which was neat.
IIRC the Dreamcast version uses a lower-res version of the Blue Shift HD models while the PS2 version uses its own unique model pack... for some reason.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The Kins posted:

The Dreamcast version had a bonus co-op chapter if I remember correctly. Did anybody ever port that to PC?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

The Dreamcast version had a bonus co-op chapter if I remember correctly. Did anybody ever port that to PC?
That was the PS2 version. it's been ported.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The Kins posted:

That was the PS2 version. it's been ported.

Well I think it was originally planned for the dreamcast version, but I could be wrong.

Minidust posted:

Quake II on PS1 was neat, and I always wished more people would play that with me instead of Goldeneye. I don't know the FPS count on those games, but Quake II felt much smoother to me.

I played tons of Unreal Tournament on PS2 and I'm still upset that there's maps that were on the PS2 version that never got ported to PC.

You guys don't know how fun some of those maps were.

The Kins posted:

Dreamcast UT was very cut down compared to the PS2 version. To give an example, the DC version only has one player model while the PS2 version has a fighting-game style character select, complete with announcer name callouts.

I dunno, if anything the second screen is actually easier to implement than the first. I wouldn't call that "cut-down" so much as "game developers were trying lots of things with early 3D and didn't know what worked best"

I do prefer the second screen but if anything its the "cut down" one.

I get you that the rest of the game was pretty limited though.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Well I think it was originally planned for the dreamcast version, but I could be wrong.
Blue Shift was originally planned as the DC exclusive stuff.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The Kins posted:

Blue Shift was originally planned as the DC exclusive stuff.

Ah okay that makes sense.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Kins posted:

IIRC, it had horrendous controls, but what can you do with a controller like the DC one? Not a great version of HL, but I was so excited for it.

I was very, very impressed with HL2 on the original Xbox, and always wished that HL1 would have been ported over, too.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Kins posted:

I used to live with a guy that owns it! It's ugly (but i guess alright for a Dreamcast game) and trying to play it with a DC controller is tantamount to self-harm.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
What have I doooooonnneeee

I wish there was a way to get stuff like this digitally.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I played the Half-Life DC version briefly a few months ago and I think the load times would drive me to suicide before the controller. The intro tram ride kind of loses some of its impact when you're staring at a progress bar 50% of the time.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Overbite posted:

Gonna need a book report on these.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Nintendo Kid posted:

What I've heard is that they'd even commissioned a strategy guide to be written for it, so it really doesn't make sense to not just eat the disc printing and book printing costs to try to get some money back.

They actually finished and released the strategy guide before it was canceled. Kind of wish I grabbed one when they pennied out just as a curiosity.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Overbite posted:

I recall Heavy Metal was surprisingly good, although rather short and easy. Nitro Family is just a mess - some interesting ideas there, and good use of the Serious engine, but it just doesn't really work.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The only thing I can recall about Nitro Family is there's some sort of mechanic for cheating on your wife with the weapon shop clerk. I'm sure at least one Serious Engine game has that, just can't remember if it's this one or not.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

The Kins posted:

The only thing I can recall about Nitro Family is there's some sort of mechanic for cheating on your wife with the weapon shop clerk. I'm sure at least one Serious Engine game has that, just can't remember if it's this one or not.

I know Nitro Family has a weapon shop clerk so it's probably this one.

I just now realize I should have bought Will Rock as well. I remember that one being special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Overbite posted:

Oh drat, I'd like to get Heavy Metal at some point.

Overbite posted:

I just now realize I should have bought Will Rock as well. I remember that one being special.

I think I heard it doesn't work on modern PCs for some reason? Isn't it basically Serious Sam: Greek Mythology edition?