Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

DecentHairJelly posted:

This. Earlier this year I started using a diffusion stone with pure O2. When combined with yeast nutrient and a yeast starter it has sent my fermentations into overdrive. I have consistently needed a blowoff hose during the first couple days. Also, spending the money on an aeration stone and regulator designed for brewing beats the hassle of shaking the hell out of a 5 gallon carboy. Well worth it.

How much was the full O2 setup?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DecentHairJelly
Jul 24, 2007

I don't want Fop goddamnit
I bought the stone, tube, and regulator off Northern Brewer, $50. Canisters of O2 are only a couple bucks from the hardware store. Still on my first canister after using it 6 or 7 times.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Well I mean, how does mead, a water and honey thing, not get hosed up then?

Honey is really close to sterile. It's so high in sugar and low in water that bacteria get dessicated by osmosis. There's a tiny chance that spores from botulinum can survive in honey, which is why the label says not to feed it to small kids, but that's not a danger in the fermenter because the pH and the EToH keep it from doing anything dangerous. I probably would avoid giving mead to infants all the same.

Once you dilute the honey to make mead, it's a giant party for anything living that gets into it, which is why you want to use a sanitized fermenter and pitch a lot of healthy yeast - you just want your yeast to be the ones that colonize the sugar-rich environment. When I make mead, I don't sanitize the must at all - no heating or chemicals - and it's always turned out well so far.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Well I mean, how does mead, a water and honey thing, not get hosed up then?

alcohol, and prior to that a closed sterile fermenting environment

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Are you fermenting in a bucket? Sometimes the lid doesn't seal completely. If you press gently on the lid you should see the airlock move to confirm a good seal.

5 gallon glass carboy.

Ok guys I'll give it a shake when I get home if nothing is happening still. Good to know I'm not going to mess anything up if I do that.

KcDohl
Jun 18, 2004
LORK ON TEH CLORF
Dinosaur Gum
Is the dip-toothpick-in-olive-oil thing not a thing anymore, or was it never one?

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
http://www.whitelabs.com/news/olive-oil-vs-aeration-experiment
http://www.whitelabs.com/news/data-olive-oil-vs-aeration-experiment
https://yeastbuddy.wordpress.com/2012/08/30/data-for-olive-oil-vs-aeration-experiment/ (check the comments)

http://hbd.org/discus/messages/43688/45581.html

So it's a thing and who knows :confused:

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I think something went bad with my Pliny, it had that normal hoppy beer smell going into the keg but there was a whiff of something else. :( Hopefully it's nothing and everything is fine, EVERYTHING IS FINE. :(

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

I don't think olive oil will dissolve in wort, boiling or not. I think you're going to have to dissolve it in pure alcohol and dilute it very accurately. That's probably not impossible for motivated homebrewers, but a far cry from "dipping a toothpick in olive oil".

ZIGfried
Nov 4, 2005

I can hardly contain myself!
Making an Oktoberfest today. Plan to lager in a keg in my keezer at serving temps. Is there any reason I can't carb while lagering?

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Edit ^ nope, carb away.

People who added a thermometer to your kettle - what length probe did you go with? Instinct tells me a 6" probe will give a better reading but it will probably get in the way of my chiller. Would a 2 inch probe work well? The bulkhead itself is about an inch long so I worry it won't give the most accurate reading.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Jo3sh posted:

Via homebrewfinds, I see that Ritebrew has one of my favorite malts, Ashburne Mild, on clearnace for less than $1/lb. It makes me sad that they appear to be discontinuing it, but better in goons' hands than otherwise. My Colt .177, which I have chilling right this very minute, uses this malt and I haven't found any other that works as well for the recipe.

http://www.ritebrew.com/product-p/802633.htm

Graaaaaains :zombie:

Thanks for the tip!

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Scarf posted:

Graaaaaains :zombie:

The question is: What do vegan zombies eat?

Scarf posted:

Thanks for the tip!

No prob! I hope you find it enjoyable.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
My ESB had the most wonderful smell. Challenger/EKG is a great mix, and WY1318 turned out way fruitier than I expected. Now onto the horrible wait while it bottle conditions.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Can I get some thoughts on this recipe that I'm working up for a Sour Rye Saison?

6 lbs Pilsner Malt
2 lbs Rye Malt
1 lbs White Wheat
3 oz Acid Malt
1 lb Corn Sugar (end of boil)

(mash high at 155F)

1 oz Styrian Golding at 60 min
1 oz Styrian Golding at 10 min

White Labs 566 Belgian Saison II in the primary
Yeast Bay Melange in the secondary (I'll probably throw my other light french oak spiral in with it)

SG: 1.055
FG: 1.007
IBU - 26
Estimated ABV 6.3%

Der Penguingott
Dec 27, 2002

i'm a k1ck3n r4d d00d

rockcity posted:

Can I get some thoughts on this recipe that I'm working up for a Sour Rye Saison?

6 lbs Pilsner Malt
2 lbs Rye Malt
1 lbs White Wheat
3 oz Acid Malt

(mash high at 155F)

Yeast Bay Melange in the secondary (I'll probably throw my other light french oak spiral in with it)

IBU - 26
Estimated ABV 6.3%

What's the logic behind both rye and wheat? I would not have thought to use both.

Otherwise sounds fantastic. I would imagine that is going to be a quite strong rye flavor between that much rye and the acidity.

I was planning on doing something similar with buckwheat but not so high %.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Der Penguingott posted:

What's the logic behind both rye and wheat? I would not have thought to use both.

Otherwise sounds fantastic. I would imagine that is going to be a quite strong rye flavor between that much rye and the acidity.

I was planning on doing something similar with buckwheat but not so high %.

The wheat was mostly just to add a little saison haziness. I was planning on less rye originally but most of the similar recipes I found had about that percentage of rye so I bumped it up.

Der Penguingott
Dec 27, 2002

i'm a k1ck3n r4d d00d

rockcity posted:

The wheat was mostly just to add a little saison haziness. I was planning on less rye originally but most of the similar recipes I found had about that percentage of rye so I bumped it up.

Depending how much haze you want you could try unmalted wheat and/or flaked rye. You might get something pretty "rustic" with the melange blend doing that. 10%? Any more and I'd think you're getting into a lambic grist.

I lost my mind over the hill farmstead / blauges saison and thinking about this is giving me pleasant flashbacks.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I did a Rye sour that I'd like to redo as a sour saison and it's like 33% rye and another 8% flaked rye with lots of wheat and some oats and barley.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
^^^
Alright, maybe I wasn't being crazy then.

Der Penguingott posted:

Depending how much haze you want you could try unmalted wheat and/or flaked rye. You might get something pretty "rustic" with the melange blend doing that. 10%? Any more and I'd think you're getting into a lambic grist.

I lost my mind over the hill farmstead / blauges saison and thinking about this is giving me pleasant flashbacks.

I did think about flaked rye instead. This is my first rye beer in general so I'm open to all suggestions. 10% rye was my original plan in my head, but the other sour rye recipes I saw had me seconding guessing it.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
So would it be dumb of me to try and rush the Cream Ale I made Friday night? I hit my OG right on in beersmith of 1.046 and for a FG it told me to be around 1.014 which is where it sits today. I'd like to have it kegged and ready to serve for the 4th but I'm nervous I'll end up ruining the beer if I try it that soon. Thoughts?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

wandler20 posted:

So would it be dumb of me to try and rush the Cream Ale I made Friday night? I hit my OG right on in beersmith of 1.046 and for a FG it told me to be around 1.014 which is where it sits today. I'd like to have it kegged and ready to serve for the 4th but I'm nervous I'll end up ruining the beer if I try it that soon. Thoughts?

You'll run the risk of overcarbing if it's not done fermenting. It might also just taste pretty young at only 8 days grain to glass.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

I find that Cream Ales want some time to lager before they really shine. You could have it kegged and carbed by the 4th, but it will be much better in a few weeks.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Jo3sh, can you post your ordinary bitter recipe, the one that uses Ashburne Mild?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Happy to. It's a Best Bitter, just to pick a nit, but you could scale it to an OB if you wanted.

Colt .177
10 gallons
assumes 75% brewhouse efficiency

7 pounds Maris Otter
7 pounds Ashburne Mild
2 pounds 40L crystal

mash at 153 for 90 min

Batch sparge to collect ~13 gallons of runnings.
Boil 90 minutes

2 oz Cascade @60m
Whirlfloc or Irish moss @20m
2 oz Cascade @flameout

Chill and drop to fermenters.

Ferment with Wyeast Thames Valley (WY1275) or White Labs Burton Ale (WLP023) in the low-mid 60s F.

OG 1.039, FG 1.009

The 90 minute mash and boil are just my default process - you could very easily get by with 60 minutes if that's what you prefer. Also, this beer tastes great with lots of other hop varieties - Cascade is just what I use most. It's great with Willamette, EKG, and lots of other things, too. I intended this to be kind of a US/UK fusion style, and it's great that way, but you can easily make this more Englishy just by changing up the hops.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

rockcity posted:

6 lbs Pilsner Malt
2 lbs Rye Malt
1 lbs White Wheat
3 oz Acid Malt

(mash high at 155F)

IBU - 26
Estimated ABV 6.3%

There's nothing wrong with it as far as I can see...

That said, my personal taste would be to ditch the sugar as I don't really see the point of non-caramelized sugars when you can get there with mashing technique and yeast choice. To compensate I would bump up the pilsner to 7 lbs, mash at 153f and use Wyeast 3711 French Saison to get it dry (and because it's such a forgiving yeast). At that point we're talking a completely different beer though.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 2, 2015

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Biomute posted:

There's nothing wrong with it as far as I can see...

That said, I'd probably ditch the sugar as I don't really see the point of non-caramelized sugars when you can get there with mashing technique and yeast choice. To compensate I would bump up the pilsner to 7 lbs, mash at 153f and use Wyeast 3711 French Saison to get it dry (and because it's such a forgiving yeast). At that point we're talking a completely different beer though.

I'm using the WL566 because I harvested it from a saison I did about a month ago. It worked really well for me and took it down to 1.004 so I'm not worried about that. The reason I was putting the corn sugar in was to essentially give different sugars for the two fermentations to work with. Mashing high would leave some things for the Melange and the sugar would let the Saison yeast chew right through it. My other saison had the same amount of corn sugar and came out great, which is why I was including it here again. I'm not opposed to taking it out though as I'm not sure I need it super dry. The 155F mash temp helped raise the FG a little bit so it wouldn't end up quite as dry as my last saison.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

rockcity posted:

I'm using the WL566 because I harvested it from a saison I did about a month ago. It worked really well for me and took it down to 1.004 so I'm not worried about that. The reason I was putting the corn sugar in was to essentially give different sugars for the two fermentations to work with. Mashing high would leave some things for the Melange and the sugar would let the Saison yeast chew right through it. My other saison had the same amount of corn sugar and came out great, which is why I was including it here again. I'm not opposed to taking it out though as I'm not sure I need it super dry. The 155F mash temp helped raise the FG a little bit so it wouldn't end up quite as dry as my last saison.

Nah mate, you sound like you've got the particulars of your recipe down far better than I could. I like super-dry saisons, and generally consider souring or funking as an afterthought for a little spice. If sugar works for you then go for it.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

rockcity posted:

6 lbs Pilsner Malt
2 lbs Rye Malt
1 lbs White Wheat
3 oz Acid Malt

(mash high at 155F)

IBU - 26
Estimated ABV 6.3%

I've done 45% rye in saisons and loved it. It won't finish generally as dry if you use flaked but malted usually does. I use both and it is fuckin delicious

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

McSpergin posted:

I've done 45% rye in saisons and loved it. It won't finish generally as dry if you use flaked but malted usually does. I use both and it is fuckin delicious

It is loving delicious. My rye saison just finished carbing and I want to drink it all right this very second. All this rye talk and I want to make another batch immediately.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Also for those of you in Australia who know of La Sirene, I've got a funked up saison on at the moment which is just pitched on wild saison and saisonette dregs :getin:

I was gonna add a picture of the pellicle but then I remembered I only sent it as a snapchat :(

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Jhet posted:

It is loving delicious. My rye saison just finished carbing and I want to drink it all right this very second. All this rye talk and I want to make another batch immediately.

I love rye, I did a roggenbier for our clubs monthly meeting (two of us provide a keg each meeting) with 70% rye gently caress it was delicious

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

McSpergin posted:

Good to know. I might do half flaked, half malted, just to add a little variety.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

McSpergin posted:

Also for those of you in Australia who know of La Sirene, I've got a funked up saison on at the moment which is just pitched on wild saison and saisonette dregs :getin:

I was gonna add a picture of the pellicle but then I remembered I only sent it as a snapchat :(

For all the talk that La Sirene does about their super secret saison strain, they sure do buy a shitton of 3724 and Brett brux from a certain Melbourne homebrew store!

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Plinkey posted:

I think something went bad with my Pliny, it had that normal hoppy beer smell going into the keg but there was a whiff of something else. :( Hopefully it's nothing and everything is fine, EVERYTHING IS FINE. :(

So the Pliny was actually fine. It just smelled really, really yeasty because I only did a single ferment instead of double. I figure it's about 8-9% and pretty close (to 80-100 IBU) on bitterness. Anyone that's a double IPA fan check out the more beer recipe.

Also my ghetto bottle filler worked great with the pressure turned down to 2-3 psi.

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost

wildfire1 posted:

For all the talk that La Sirene does about their super secret saison strain, they sure do buy a shitton of 3724 and Brett brux from a certain Melbourne homebrew store!

Ahahahaha, that's brilliant.

Also I'm hell surprised by how often S-04/US-05 get used in breweries.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Nanpa posted:

Also I'm hell surprised by how often S-04/US-05 get used in breweries.

Common ingredients are usually common for a reason. Homebrewers get very caught up with MO or whatever, but US 2-Row is very commonly used even in the top craft beers,

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
In case anyone was worried about me, I was pleasantly welcomed this morning upon walking down to the basement by my yeast going absolutely crazy. There's like over an inch of foam (there was nothing last night), and the airlock is bubbling like mad. I won't be able to rack until next Sunday, though. That should be ok based on what I read here. But maybe there's something I can do to take advantage of the extra time it'll spend fermenting? Maybe I should move to a secondary?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

yamdankee posted:

In case anyone was worried about me, I was pleasantly welcomed this morning upon walking down to the basement by my yeast going absolutely crazy. There's like over an inch of foam (there was nothing last night), and the airlock is bubbling like mad. I won't be able to rack until next Sunday, though. That should be ok based on what I read here. But maybe there's something I can do to take advantage of the extra time it'll spend fermenting? Maybe I should move to a secondary?

No need to rack to secondary unless you'll be racking onto some fruit or something. Just leaving it and letting the yeast cake eat all the byproducts would be my advice. Perhaps dry-hop if the style allows for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Biomute posted:

No need to rack to secondary unless you'll be racking onto some fruit or something. Just leaving it and letting the yeast cake eat all the byproducts would be my advice. Perhaps dry-hop if the style allows for it?

It's a Belgian Trippel. Is that style good for dry hopping? If so, what kind of hops should I go with? Pellet or otherwise? Bag or unbagged?

Edit: And I plan on harvesting this yeast, if that influences things.

Edit 2: Nah, I'm reading it's not true to the style and it wouldn't be a trippel anymore. I can understand why. I'll just do it with my next beer!

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 2, 2015