Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I give him a ton of braunschweiger liverwurst but I grew up eating that so I don’t think it’s weird. Everyone else does though.

It’s probably normal in Germany.

My wife gives him shrimp chips on occasion even though they’re total junk food. They taste like low tide and he loves them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

space uncle posted:

My 13 month old baby usually eats like a horse but either his teeth or development are really pissing him off. He takes 3 bites and then starts throwing everything as fast as he can.

Sometimes spoon/feeding him works but lately he really wants to use the spoon himself. Getting out a 2nd spoon doesn’t go well. Sometimes he will pick it up with his hands but usually the spoon is too much fun and he would take 2 hours at that rate.

So tonight the solution was to give him the spoon after a 4/5 star tantrum. While he tries to use that to scoop rice (he doesn’t know how to scoop rice) I hand feed him. He ate his entire plate that way and both of us were covered in rice and sauce.

Hoping he learns to use the spoon or becomes less defensive about it soon.

He also really likes rye bread right now which seems strange for a baby to enjoy. Its too strong of a flavor for me to eat on its own usually but he just chows down.

Our 14mo loving loves sauerkraut. But also yeah, he's been having a lot of development plus one year molars. And he's been keen on using spoons and forks, just not very effectively.

So yeah, this all sounds normal, and it sounds like you're on the right track? Just keep a cloth handy to wipe up yourself/kid/highchair and another for the floor.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

space uncle posted:

I give him a ton of braunschweiger liverwurst but I grew up eating that so I don’t think it’s weird. Everyone else does though.

It’s probably normal in Germany.

My wife gives him shrimp chips on occasion even though they’re total junk food. They taste like low tide and he loves them.

I gave my baby a shrimp chip the other day and she hated it. I love them though.

My kid is real picky now and has stopped eating foods she used to like. I can’t get her to eat peas and carrots anymore for the life of me. I always let her try what I’m eating, but it’s rare that she likes it. Her diet is largely oatmeal, grapes, apples, pretzels, ham sausage, and egg noodles.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Nessa posted:

I gave my baby a shrimp chip the other day and she hated it. I love them though.

My kid is real picky now and has stopped eating foods she used to like. I can’t get her to eat peas and carrots anymore for the life of me. I always let her try what I’m eating, but it’s rare that she likes it. Her diet is largely oatmeal, grapes, apples, pretzels, ham sausage, and egg noodles.

So my kid ate anything we gave him from when he started eating solids until about 2. Then at 2 he went through a real picky stage that lasted... I don't know, it felt like years. He's 8 now and generally eats pretty well again.

It seems like that's a pretty normal pattern from what I can tell from all of my friends and families children... When they first start getting food they will eat literally anything and everything for the first months / a couple years and then goes into incredibly picky eating patterns for a while and then swings back.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

My daughter didn’t night train until she was 6.5. We tried off and on for years before then with alarms and other things. What eventually worked was doing dream pees about 2 hours after she went to sleep. It started with just carrying her and putting her on the toilet mostly fully asleep. It took weeks. Then she started being able to be awake for it without drama, and then she eventually progressed to waking herself up. Even now at 7 she often wakes herself up around that time to go to the bathroom, but it’s extremely extremely rare for her to have an incident in the bed (like 1-2 times a year).

There was no rushing it earlier - her body and brain just couldn’t do it.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

sheri posted:

So my kid ate anything we gave him from when he started eating solids until about 2. Then at 2 he went through a real picky stage that lasted... I don't know, it felt like years. He's 8 now and generally eats pretty well again.

It seems like that's a pretty normal pattern from what I can tell from all of my friends and families children... When they first start getting food they will eat literally anything and everything for the first months / a couple years and then goes into incredibly picky eating patterns for a while and then swings back.

Seconding this. I remember smugly showing off my baby eating all sorts of exotic foods. Now as a 3-year old his diet is pb&j, vegan chicken nuggets, cheeseburgers, and fruit. I’m really trying to get him back on track, but at this point it’s one more power struggle that I don’t feel like engaging in.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

sheri posted:

Thank goodness. It feels like my three year old subsides on chicken nuggets, pretzels, toaster strudels/cinnamon rolls, and apples/oranges/bananas. It's really frustrating and he's in a very low percentile but just refuses to eat. Both of my boys were great eaters for so long, but yeah, around 2.5-3 they just stopped. I'm glad to know that I just have to ride it out.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

The ogre toddler's basically been on a veggie strike shortly after he turned two as well. Kid inhales anything meat or fruit related but the closest to veggies he gets are spicy roasted crispy chickpeas (which he also inhales) or whatever is in his pouch. Even the curry roasted cauliflower isn't doing it.

He's currently in the middle of his third speech therapy session and it is *adorable*. Picking up more and more signs. And the look of concentration on his face as he picks out the right one to use is just as adorable.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Douche4Sale posted:

Thank goodness. It feels like my three year old subsides on chicken nuggets, pretzels, toaster strudels/cinnamon rolls, and apples/oranges/bananas. It's really frustrating and he's in a very low percentile but just refuses to eat. Both of my boys were great eaters for so long, but yeah, around 2.5-3 they just stopped. I'm glad to know that I just have to ride it out.

#1 and #2 have autism and are incredibly picky eaters. Breakfast is usually one of half a dozen cereals, toaster waffles, or maybe once a week Pop-Tarts. Lunch is typically a peanut butter and [nutella, cheese, jelly] sandwich, dinner is usually one of the above or chicken nuggets or french toast sticks. They all love applesauce, key lime Great Value yogurt, and various brands of Go-Gurt, though, so we have that.

And loving fruit snacks. I'm sick of loving fruit snacks.

Sweet Gulch
May 8, 2007

That metaphor just went somewhere horrible.
Yeah, my daughter is 3 and... same. There is an extremely short list of what she will eat. It no longer includes chicken nuggets, burgers, fries, or most other common "kid" foods, either. One night I made rice balls and she only ate the nori.

Heck, I made a cake (which she enthusiastically helped with, every step of the way). Just a simple one with whipped cream and berries. She had one bite and was done.

She is currently living mainly on cheerios and apples.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
I feel lucky that broccoli and carrots survived the great taste culling so we can still get some veggies in him. He started refusing things more around 18 months for us, just turned 2 so I hope there’s not another narrowing coming soon :ohdear:

We have a list of about 15 dinners that he’ll eat at least part of but I’m already so sick of all of them.

He’s also incredibly picky about how things are served. If a banana piece breaks off in any way besides taking a bite he immediately throws a fit about it being broken and demands we put it back together. Tried using peanut butter as glue for him one time but it was apparently unsightly.

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

My son had his 15-month checkup today, and the doctor recommended doing early intervention because he is still not talking. Feeling optimistic that it’ll help (he does tons of babbling and pointing so I feel like he just needs a little push in the right direction).

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

I think 15 months is totally normal for not talking, there seems to be a lot of milestones literature online that says 12 months olds should have a couple words but our doctor assured us that wasn’t true, and sure enough at like 16 months our guy started to grow a little five word vocabulary.

But there is no real downside to the speech therapy so absolutely do it if you want to.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
Yeah, our doctor at the 15 month appointment was just looking for 3 words. I didn't get the sense that if he didn't have that many he would need intervention, but yeah, it probably can't hurt.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Eggnogium posted:

I feel lucky that broccoli and carrots survived the great taste culling so we can still get some veggies in him. He started refusing things more around 18 months for us, just turned 2 so I hope there’s not another narrowing coming soon :ohdear:

We have a list of about 15 dinners that he’ll eat at least part of but I’m already so sick of all of them.

He’s also incredibly picky about how things are served. If a banana piece breaks off in any way besides taking a bite he immediately throws a fit about it being broken and demands we put it back together. Tried using peanut butter as glue for him one time but it was apparently unsightly.

Oh God yes, if the banana breaks it is clearly no good anymore. I tried the whole "now you have two bananas" but it failed.

Weirdest one by far is my 5 year old refuses all types of Mac and cheese and also spaghetti. I didn't know that was possible. It's especially rough because those are two of the 3 year olds favorites.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

My three year old has always hated
Mac and cheese. All varieties.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I am grateful for food chat. My one year old apparently chows down at daycare but getting him to eat at home is terrible. He thinks it’s hilarious to look us in the eye and toss his food to the floor. Spoon feeding him is a no-go because he wants to feed himself. It took 45 minutes to get him to eat two chicken nuggets last night. I’m just worried because we are transitioning away from formula and I want to make sure he’s consuming enough calories. Maybe he just hates the high chair? I don’t know.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
WELP

Wake up this morning and it looks like it's going to be a normal day. Should have been my first clue...

As I'm finishing breakfast I get a text from my wife (upstairs), "Can you get the kids ready, I'm not feeling well." OK, sounds like a stomach bug. Let her rest while I get the kids going. Naturally, grab some at-home rapid tests on the way back, because better safe than sorry.

She tests positive.

I take one, and I'm also positive.

Fan-loving-tastic.

Call day care, grab the kids, and now we're stuck home with them for 10 days. Really 12, because the last day of isolation is a Friday...

Oldest somehow tested negative, and the rapid test we have is not indicated for under 2 years, so our youngest is a question mark for now. But ultimately that doesn't matter, because the isolation is based on us being positive not the kids. So even if they never catch it, they've got to stay home. We have PCR tests lined up for all 4 of us tomorrow, but the chance of getting 2 false positives is closer to zero than I care to consider... I'm not going to say we're officially lepers, but near as makes no difference. The PCR is just going to confirm it.

Not sure who to blame here... a bunch of people in my wife's office are sick, but she hasn't been there for over a month. I'm boosted, but I know there are a few unvaccinated people in my office, and they're all horrendous about masking, so I may have picked it up last week during the entire 2 days I was in last week. Most likely one of the kids brought it home from day care, but who knows... day care claims no recent positives, but that doesn't mean anything because it could easily be asymptomatic in kids that young.

And to be sure, we're both 3x vaccinated. My booster was more recent, but my wife's was only like 3 months ago I think. edit: and kids are too young, of course, or else they'd have their vaccines too.

:shepicide:

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 25, 2022

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Against omicron the vaccine, even with booster, does very little to prevent infection and spread. It does prevent severe illness effectively though.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

My kiddo popped positive last night too.
My husband and I are just waiting for it to show up for us.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

sheri posted:

Mine is 15 months, so I hope it doesn’t get worse.

I know popcorn is considered a choking hazard, but I had given her some white cheddar popcorn before I knew that and she absolutely loves the stuff. She’s never had an issue with eating it and it’s always supervised, so I’d rather not take away one of the handful of foods that I know for sure she’ll eat. Toast, watermelon, Cheerios, goldfish, pretzels, grapes, apples, egg noodles, rice, sometimes blueberries, most baby food pouches, sometimes cheese, ice cream, chocolate, and cookies. That’s basically her diet. Her weight has always been on the low side, so I let her have a couple Teddy grahams, a piece of chocolate or some ice cream as a treat.

Oh, I did find out the other day that she’ll eat McDonald’s hash browns, which is the only way to get potato in her. There’s a lot I can’t feed her because of her egg allergy. She can’t move up on the egg ladder to fresh egg noodles until she has a full serving of dried egg noodles every day for 2 weeks. She will have a full serving maybe 3 times a week. The rest of the time she has 3 noodles and throws the rest on the floor. Dinner has been egg noodles for 6 months now.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Eggnogium posted:

Against omicron the vaccine, even with booster, does very little to prevent infection and spread. It does prevent severe illness effectively though.

Yup, knew it was a matter of time. The biggest concern has always been the amount of time we'd need to take off work, and here we are...

And to be sure, any anger/frustration we have is directed... let's say externally. Not the thread for it, but I think it's obvious to this crowd why we're so pissed.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

DaveSauce posted:

Yup, knew it was a matter of time. The biggest concern has always been the amount of time we'd need to take off work, and here we are...

And to be sure, any anger/frustration we have is directed... let's say externally. Not the thread for it, but I think it's obvious to this crowd why we're so pissed.

Yeah I feel for you. We just burned a week at home for what we thought must be Covid but ended up being an ear infection. Now I’m terrified we’ll get it in the next couple weeks and have to stay home again.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Oh hey, food and covid chat.

My 4yo did the eat everything to eat very little. It could be worse, we do go through a lot of cheese and yogurt, and he's acceptable about eating at daycare. Definitely a lot of "OH NO It's broken!" and a very tired Dad convincing him it all tastes the same. It's working enough that he does finish eating the horribly broken banana/pretzel/cheese slice.

Good milestone: Started actually pooping in the potty. Bad milestone: Got covid over his birthday. From daycare, where no other kids tested positive, somehow. Wife and I tested negative, luckily the baby never got any symptoms. I still had paternity time left so my holiday vacation turned into a long, not very restful "vacation". Kid never lost any speed or energy. Yikes.

6mo is doing well, she's had a rough few days from the 6mo vaccination regimen, but is pretty perky. Hair continues to stand straight up. Current favorite activity is to get one parent to hold you so you can watch the other parent.

PPD sucks though. Trying to keep everything in motion and support my wife is exhausting. I know she appreciates it though, and the kids are super affectionate, so there's some golden payoff moments in there.

Allergy chat - he's allergic to shrimp, eggs, oats, and rye. Shrimp has sent us to the ER twice now, so we're a little gunshy about testing out of anything while covid is rampaging the hospitals. Makes breakfast pretty rough. Hash browns from Dunkin or Manhattan Bagel have been pretty useful when we're getting other things.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Eggnogium posted:

Yeah

It's bad enough that pfizer is already manufacturing an omicron specific vaccine, it's going up for approval soon. Supposedly it's targeting additional variants too. This is as of Jan 14 anyways

Originally (2 years ago) it was basically perfect immunity for healthy individuals, dropped effacacy by about half for delta, and it's... Less than that for omicron which is much evolved from the original virus the vaccine was developed for. People in the ICU now are 40-50% fully vaccinated depending on what region you're in

Looking forward to an omicron specific booster if and when it gets released :science:

Took our kid in for a PCR this morning

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Hadlock posted:

Yeah

People in the ICU now are 40-50% fully vaccinated depending on what region you're in

Can you share your source for this? This is a much higher percentage of vaccinated people in the ICU that I've seen in any other study or data collection and analysis or news article.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

sheri posted:

Can you share your source for this? This is a much higher percentage of vaccinated people in the ICU that I've seen in any other study or data collection and analysis or news article.

That is probably in a highly vaccinated community, so the vaccine efficacy is balanced against the fact that there are just way more vaccinated people.

Here’s an article showing some per population numbers for vaccinated vs unvaccinated: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/11/briefing/omicron-deaths-vaccinated-vs-unvaccinated.html

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

remigious posted:

I am grateful for food chat. My one year old apparently chows down at daycare but getting him to eat at home is terrible. He thinks it’s hilarious to look us in the eye and toss his food to the floor. Spoon feeding him is a no-go because he wants to feed himself. It took 45 minutes to get him to eat two chicken nuggets last night. I’m just worried because we are transitioning away from formula and I want to make sure he’s consuming enough calories. Maybe he just hates the high chair? I don’t know.

This is what I was trying to describe with my kiddo, he does the same things. It doesn’t help that the two dogs are circling his high chair like starving hyenas begging for scraps to be thrown and licking his messy little hands. Been locking them up during meals to remove 1 extra distraction.

It kind of goes in cycles though, I feel like if he messes around for a couple meals the next one he eats a lot. He also drinks a lot of whole milk and will usually eat cheese or fruit for a good snack. We dropped formula at age 1 without too much fanfare and never really looked back.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Washington state and somewhere in the northeast, new Hampshire maybe. I can go dig for it after work hours

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

loving wild. My friends, both vaccinated and their 3 year old. The husband has Covid but the other two don’t. They’re super cautious too.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I was changing our daughter's diaper and when I came back from throwing it away she goes daddy I have a hole. She was spread open wondering whats its for. I told her the proper scientific name and what it's for and she goes babies live there? Lol fun times.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

space uncle posted:

This is what I was trying to describe with my kiddo, he does the same things. It doesn’t help that the two dogs are circling his high chair like starving hyenas begging for scraps to be thrown and licking his messy little hands. Been locking them up during meals to remove 1 extra distraction.

It kind of goes in cycles though, I feel like if he messes around for a couple meals the next one he eats a lot. He also drinks a lot of whole milk and will usually eat cheese or fruit for a good snack. We dropped formula at age 1 without too much fanfare and never really looked back.

Lol same deal with our dogs (well, down to one dog since Sunday when we had to put the pug to rest). I feel sort of at fault because I can’t help but smile when he defiantly throws food, it’s so drat cute but you need to eat little buddy! Nothing to do but keep trying and hope he’s eating enough.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

My 3.5yo also got picky food-wise around 2, so he eats chicken nuggets, mac and cheese, broccoli, pizza rolls, pepperoni, and other various things that aren’t consistent. Which is insane how much he won’t eat anymore, because we just caught him last night dipping his English muffin pizza into his milk and putting it in his mouth, chewing and swallowing without even flinching. Just a normal day!

Re: Covid, I had my first day back at work today after 5 days isolation, and if I didn’t know I got it from the kids due to a positive case in both their classrooms, I’d think I got it from work because zero people mask up there. One coworker straight-up told me he “doesn’t believe in covid.”

Son never showed symptoms but my 9mo daughter has been coughing and sneezing up…just ridiculous amounts of phlegm in the past week. She also developed an ear infection, which we are hoping is the only thing left to cause all the snot and coughing. She started antibiotics last night for that, but is having pretty miserable nights.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Hadlock posted:

Looking forward to an omicron specific booster if and when it gets released :science:

Same.

Also looking forward to the FDA taking two more loving years to approve it for kids, citing some rare side effect that COVID causes in orders of magnitude greater frequency, while the entire pediatric medical world screams at them.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Day two of isolating with a 6-year-old and a 3-year-old and no spouse (because she's isolating). Patience and sanity are running thin.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm really glad they're being cautious, demonstrating that they're not just slamming 5G mind control into our veins, but also, guys I think you've demonstrated you've been sufficiently cautious at this point

I heard the other day a call to make the vaccines approved for off label use. Basically it deems it biologically safe to inject, but doesn't guarantee effectiveness, and leaves it up to the doctor (or something vaguely like that, I'm not a doctor) I would sign my kid up so fast for a shot, just to cross that off my list of things I have zero control over

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
No pediatrician is going to prescribe a COVID vaccine "off label". You can't just do the "adjust dosage for weight" thing they do for other drugs. The immune system is very complex, and children are not just tiny adults.

The reason Pfizer hasn't applied for EUA for under five is that the current two course vaccine isn't effective enough so they're modifying the study to include a booster.

Yes it's frustrating as a parent that there isn't approval but just waving a wand isn't going to fix it. They actually have to conduct the research.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Shifty Pony posted:

Same.

Also looking forward to the FDA taking two more loving years to approve it for kids, citing some rare side effect that COVID causes in orders of magnitude greater frequency, while the entire pediatric medical world screams at them.

I haven't been following... last I heard, the delay was because they under-dosed 6mo-5y? So now they're extending the trial to include a 3rd shot to boost efficacy (because changing dose and re-doing a 2-shot series would be a massive setback time-wise).

I thought the concerns about myocarditis were studied and "dismissed," for lack of a better term, due to it being temporary, mostly non-life threatening, and because of the greater risk of getting it from covid.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

DaveSauce posted:

I haven't been following... last I heard, the delay was because they under-dosed 6mo-5y? So now they're extending the trial to include a 3rd shot to boost efficacy (because changing dose and re-doing a 2-shot series would be a massive setback time-wise).
This is effectively what's happening. Pfizer is updating the the study protocol now, but the third shot is to be administered two months (or later) after the second.

Honestly the spread of omicron might make pediatric vaccinations effectively moot for kids today, but it's important they work it out for kids born after the omicron wave passes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Honestly the spread of omicron might make pediatric vaccinations effectively moot for kids today, but it's important they work it out for kids born after the omicron wave passes.

Yup, once they get approvals for 6mo-5y, tweaking for future variants should be able to breeze through approvals. If future variants are as vaccine-resistant as omicron, this could be super important. And don't forget about re-infections since natural immunity wanes (just like vaccine-induced immunity, though IIRC not as quickly).