Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

kaschei posted:

Games were better back then though

Kashuno posted:

There is a guy who makes his entire living off of bad old games.

Holy poo poo, you're two different people, I never noticed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MG2
Jan 30, 2016

by LadyAmbien

JakeP posted:

did you break off the prongs that were on the motherboard or did you break something on the fan? If you broke the prongs on your motherboard it will probably be cheaper to buy a new laptop than to repair it

assuming there isn't another connector on your current board

I didn't break the prongs off, just the plastic connector that holds the wire in place out of the connector. I'll see if I can get a picture of the type of connection I'm talking about.

MG2
Jan 30, 2016

by LadyAmbien
I couldn't find a picture I'll have to take one when I get home

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

CCKeane posted:

Yes,I think complaining about the price of something when the cost remains static and inflation is a thing is a bit off.

Yes, prices can drop as a result of improved logistics and manufacturing costs, but a 20% increase after 20 years is pretty good, ultimately.

my point is more that you can get top quality games at release for a third of the price of a AAA title now so when you think about it like I can get one Call of Duty for the price of 6 Undertales it kind of makes sense to say Call of Duty is too expensive

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

You get what you pay for (especially concerning goon favorite Undertale)

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

JakeP posted:

my point is more that you can get top quality games at release for a third of the price of a AAA title now so when you think about it like I can get one Call of Duty for the price of 6 Undertales it kind of makes sense to say Call of Duty is too expensive

But undertale is nowhere near the quality of a CoD game in many ways, and is therefore much cheaper.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Watching the beagle stream and jesus christ xcom 2 looks loving goooooooooood

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

kaschei posted:

Games were better back then though

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Kashuno posted:

But undertale is nowhere near the quality of a CoD game in many ways, and is therefore much cheaper.

I don't much care for undertale, I just used it as an example to explain my mindset. I think paying $60 for a game is ridiculous when you can get fun games with replayability at a fraction of the price, and then not much later buy the $60 game at a deep discount. I like my instant gratification as much as anyone, and I love games, but I just can't rationalize spending more than $30 on a game anymore

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I can rationalize it because I buy less games, I think. XCOM 2 I will get on release, and....I can't think of another game outside of some 3DS games that I actually care about getting this year.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Kashuno posted:

I can rationalize it because I buy less games, I think. XCOM 2 I will get on release, and....I can't think of another game outside of some 3DS games that I actually care about getting this year.

I don't judge you or anyone for spending whatever you want on whatever you want

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Its so crazy what they are doing with modding for this game.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
If you didn't get xcum1 u are a chump.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
The only games I'd consider getting at full price are what I would call zeitgeist games, and even then they'd have to be really, really important. Games that absolutely everybody is going to be talking about for the foreseeable future and that if you play it 1-2 years later you will significantly miss out on the conversation. Multiplayer games are sorta like this in that joining it late means the community might not be there, but I'm talking more of the gaming cultural milestones. For me, that's basically only a Valve game, since their games are so infrequent and tend to be referenced and discussed endlessly when they come out. Fallout 4 was pretty close to a recent example of this, although not enough for me personally to buy it. It depends on the kind of groups you're in and people you talk to as to where this line is drawn.

If a game doesn't fit that strict criteria, then I will always wait for a better price. Other than those examples, my enjoyment of the game isn't tied to its release date, so I know I'll have just as much fun playing it 1-2 years later than I would have at launch, and for 1/3 the price.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Witcher 3 is a zeitgeist game

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I can justify buying new games because I have a decently paying job

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Fallout 4 was bad. Witcher 3 was best game of last year by a lot.

Valve games can be fun but they're usually pretty average IMO. Portal 1 was special though

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Oh, I see we're talking about video games. It's time for me to put forth my very important, well reasoned opinions and really get to the heart of things.

Video games are cool, and good.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

The best way to get value for money with video games is to simply have no time to play them, so when you buy one it takes you 6 months to finish it. That's like a years worth of entertainment for $A 160 bucks.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

busb posted:

Fallout 4 was bad. Witcher 3 was best game of last year by a lot.

Valve games can be fun but they're usually pretty average IMO. Portal 1 was special though

Valve games are basically what I measure all other games against.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

I measure all games against dodgeball.

All fall flat.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
thats because i threw the ball so hard at you keane you chose to hug the pavement instead of being hit by my missile

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

busb posted:

thats because i threw the ball so hard at you keane you chose to hug the pavement instead of being hit by my missile

Yes, I dodged effectively, which is a major component of the game.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

CCKeane posted:

Yes, I dodged effectively, which is a major component of the game.

you're meant to catch the ball and throw it back at their faces keane do i have to tell you how to be good at all sports?? apparently yes

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

busb posted:

you're meant to catch the ball and throw it back at their faces keane do i have to tell you how to be good at all sports?? apparently yes

If you catch the ball the thrower is out, so there is no need to counter.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Asiina posted:

Valve games are basically what I measure all other games against.

If that's the case most games must be really good to you

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Keane lines up the video game cases on the floor in the game stop, then throws dodge balls at them. He buys whatever remains standing. Suffice to say, he buys all of them.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

When do primary results come out?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Kashuno posted:

If that's the case most games must be really good to you

Valve games have a lot of really great design nuance that so many other games lack.

Plus they can actually write a good story????

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

It's been a long time since HL2.2 and L4D2.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I think portal 2 was the last really great game I played

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
i found half life 1 and 2 fairly average and boring, they didn't do anything interesting at all for me. counterstrike is bad. portal 1 amazing portal 2 okay-good.

opinions~

l4d1 was great fun , l4d2 was eh

ultima 7 was the best game ever fyi

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

L4D was better for sure. The new special zombies in L4D2 were just too gimmicky. And much like all zombie things, it didn't add enough to not feel like just more of the first with little point. L4D1 was better because great because it was the first. L4D2 was just the same game with gimmicks so you felt unimpressed. I forget when the millions of zombie survival games came out, but they there was a definite zombie saturation in pop culture sometime after L4D1 which means if it came out now you'd probably go "meh".
Not to say that the game relied on being in a time when it was different enough, just that the impact would be lessened and a great game could possibly have been a cult classic instead of the mainstream classic it deserves.

MG2
Jan 30, 2016

by LadyAmbien
Ok I have a bit of a conundrum on my hands. It's not really but it's kinda fun to think about.

Today I was rear-ended by a work van. My car is a 2001 Nissan Sentra with 200k miles on it that is beat to poo poo, and was when I bought it. The damage was enough to cause my bumper to come loose and then fall off when I got back to work and did a more thorough inspection. I reattached the bumper at work for a cost of 6 bucks. It's held on well, though where it connects on the sides is a little bowed, but not enough for me to care.

I could buy a new OEM unpainted bumper for 50 bucks (a black unpainted bumper when my car is white)

This car could die at any time and the only damage is cosmetic. Is it even worth it to try and get the guy to pay for a 50 dollar bumper?

The guy that hit me was a dude in a work van. So I want to cut him a break kinda. If it was some dude in a BMW then I'd make him pay for my new bumper no question, lol. But a dude in a work van probably could use the 50 bucks more than I could use a new bumper on my lovely car.

I say no. What would you guys do?

MG2 fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 2, 2016

MG2
Jan 30, 2016

by LadyAmbien
Anyone who answers ^ thoughtfully I'll deconstruct your answer to tell you about your personality

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Seriously I don't know how much more I could push Pillars of Eternity. I'd of kickstarted it had I known it'd be this good (no I wouldn't have I don't kickstart anything). I wasn't even that into Baldur's Gate or whatever, but it's super fun and scratches my ever existing exploration itch.

I want to start playing Undertale tonight. Is it a mouse and keyboard game or just keyboard because I'm only capable of doing the latter for the moment.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
it's phenomenal

Tides of Numenera is coming and I'm hype.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Mags, get the company to pay for a new whip

If dude would have to pay cut him the slack of getting your car back to pre-ramming shape

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Kashuno posted:

it's phenomenal

Tides of Numenera is coming and I'm hype.

torment is the only kickstarter ive ever backed, i'm hopeful but wasteland 2 was pretty mediocre so i'm not hyped.

unlike xcom2 in 4 days which is gonna be radddddddddd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

MG2 posted:

Ok I have a bit of a conundrum on my hands. It's not really but it's kinda fun to think about.

Today I was rear-ended by a work van. My car is a 2001 Nissan Sentra with 200k miles on it that is beat to poo poo, and was when I bought it. The damage was enough to cause my bumper to come loose and then fall off when I got back to work and did a more thorough inspection. I reattached the bumper at work for a cost of 6 bucks. It's held on well, though where it connects on the sides is a little bowed, but not enough for me to care.

I could buy a new OEM unpainted bumper for 50 bucks (a black unpainted bumper when my car is white)

This car could die at any time and the only damage is cosmetic. Is it even worth it to try and get the guy to pay for a 50 dollar bumper?

The guy that hit me was a dude in a work van. So I want to cut him a break kinda. If it was some dude in a BMW then I'd make him pay for my new bumper no question, lol. But a dude in a work van probably could use the 50 bucks more than I could use a new bumper on my lovely car.

I say no. What would you guys do?

You're right it's not really a conundrum, more like a morality play. I'm not big on cosmetic stuff so I would have no issue driving with bent bumper personally. I think it's noble of you to care for the guy in the work van. I don't think the $50 are the issue, he may get poo poo from his employer for having caused the accident. If your car is on the verge of this just think of this as just another badge before it wheels away to car heaven.