Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

UmOk posted:

Pretty sure he only rebelled after the deal was altered. Before that he was perfectly willing to screw over his friends in order to cling to the free market. This sounds familiar.
Changing the deal to "we are going to kill your friends" was a pretty good reason to rebel. Han wasn't his friend and had made a lot of enemies.

temple fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Nov 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea, Han had screwed over a lot of people, Jabba obviously being the biggest(literally and figuratively), and Lando definitely wasn't the kind of guy to stick his neck out for another smuggler who probably deserved what he was getting. When he saw that Leia and Chewie were going to get it too, that's when he decided to go Rebel.

He obviously learned and changed quite a bit between ESB and RotJ. I don't think going on a dangerous rescue mission is something he'd have done when we first meet him.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
When I was a kid and Vader appeared in cloud city I hated Lando with the same passion Hans face had but I soon realized he honestly did have no choice (though I don't really know why Vader even had to Make a deal As opposed to just doing whatever he wanted).

Obviously it was a thing he was forced into or Leia wouldn't have taken him to jabbas and Han certainly wouldn't have let him fly the falc.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Lando's betrayal made a lot of sense. The citizens of Cloud City outweighed Leia, Han, and Chewie. Turn over a jerk, detain some rebels, and his city goes free. He was proto-revolutionary by not wanting to be in the Empire at all. But his plan hinged on a literal interpretation of keeping Leia and Chewie from leaving, instead of killing them. Vadar wanting to take Leia and Chewie himself broke the deal.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Basebf555 posted:

Man, now that I think about it there's going to be a lot of new Star Wars prequels in the coming years. So many opportunities to infect the memory of the OT.

Technically I'm not sure if these count as prequels, since they're spin-off movies and not part of the main series. You could just as easily call them sequels to the prequels. But really they're just anthology movies taking place at various points in the timeline.

I know calling them prequels is a pretty prime trolling strategy to employ against prequel haters but let's be honest here.

rear end Catchcum posted:

When I was a kid and Vader appeared in cloud city I hated Lando with the same passion Hans face had but I soon realized he honestly did have no choice (though I don't really know why Vader even had to Make a deal As opposed to just doing whatever he wanted).

Obviously it was a thing he was forced into or Leia wouldn't have taken him to jabbas and Han certainly wouldn't have let him fly the falc.

Vader didn't have to make a deal. He just told Lando he was making a deal with him so he wouldn't get in the way. That way Vader wouldn't have to expend any additional energy subduing Lando and his security forces. There was never actually any deal.

But eventually Vader got so close to his goal of capturing Luke that he got arrogant and basically just decided to drop the pretense, not anticipating that Lando would have the balls to switch sides so late into the game.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Ah yeah I guess that is true. I want to do a rewatch soon.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
To be honest though I think if Lando was a good boy and just did what he was told Vader would have left afterwards and let Lando operate his colony in peace. Sure, Lando was dodging Mining Guild dues and Imperial regulations, but Vader isn't the Emperor, why should he care about boring administrative stuff like that? Which means Lando still made a clear choice to help Leia and Chewie and abandon the operation he worked so hard to build up into a profitable enterprise.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I for sure agree with that and have never doubted that. Again it wouldn't make sense story wise in Jedi otherwise. Our heroes would never forgive a true traitor.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
So did Lando choose Leia and Chewie over the people of his colony? I thought he made the deal to protect them?

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Basebf555 posted:

Yea, Han had screwed over a lot of people, Jabba obviously being the biggest(literally and figuratively), and Lando definitely wasn't the kind of guy to stick his neck out for another smuggler who probably deserved what he was getting.

Well, actually, Lando seemed pretty upset when he found out Vader was going to turn Han over to Boba Fett so he could be taken to Jabba. That wasn't part of the deal they made.

It seems to me like Lando could rationalize assisting the Empire in bringing a rebel against the government to justice, but when he found out the Empire didn't even have any interest in bringing him to justice and was just going to hand him over to a bounty hunter to be taken to a gangster, he was just like, "What the hell am I even doing anymore?"

UmOk posted:

So did Lando choose Leia and Chewie over the people of his colony? I thought he made the deal to protect them?

No, he warned them over the public address system and recommended that they evacuate. I think people overestimate the amount of mortal danger the people of the colony were actually in. The Empire would have just nationalized the colony and the people would go on working at their jobs, only under Imperial supervision, which probably would have really sucked, but it wasn't worth handing over two good people to the Empire to be executed.

Maybe Vader would have left a garrison there in any case, though. I'm only speculating.

e: In fact, now that I think about it more, I think I might be wrong and that might actually have been the case. It would certainly make Lando's situation mirror Luke's in ANH more closely:

A New Hope posted:

BEN
There's nothing you could have done,
Luke, had you been there. You'd have
been killed, too, and the droids
would be in the hands of the Empire.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 3, 2016

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I agree with most of you cnut but I feel his thought process was more

Ok, I have to take this deal to save my city. The safety of many at the cost of a few.

Which turned into

gently caress this you didn't say anything about Boba Fett!

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

rear end Catchcum posted:

I agree with most of you cnut but I feel his thought process was more

Ok, I have to take this deal to save my city. The safety of many at the cost of a few.

Which turned into

gently caress this you didn't say anything about Boba Fett!

Yeah you're probably right, actually.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The colony was full of people who didn't want to live in the Empire for various reasons (Willrow Hood and his unlicensed ice cream making operation, etc.) and Vader was gonna put a permanent garrison there.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Phi230 posted:

Its like trying to make a predator movie without Carl Weathers or Arnold or The Goddamed Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Predator 2 is awesome, actually

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Predator 2 is awesome, actually

Agree. I think DANNY Glover should play young Lando

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

UmOk posted:

Agree. I think DANNY Glover should play young Lando

Mel Gibson as young Han.

:regd08:

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The only way to save the franchise is for the Rock to play young Lando.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Krazyface posted:

The only way to save the franchise is for the Rock to play young Han.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Actually I take that back. I don't think Danny Glover could play a convincing "libertarian with heart of gold."

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Bongo Bill posted:

The colony was full of people who didn't want to live in the Empire for various reasons (Willrow Hood and his unlicensed ice cream making operation, etc.) and Vader was gonna put a permanent garrison there.

Pretty sure Willrow Hood's illegal ice cream operation was something I made up for Ewokpedia years ago. But I'm glad it stuck in someone's head.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Krazyface posted:

The only way to save the franchise is for the Rock to play young Chewbacca.
Fixed.

But not, like, in costume. Just the Rock making Chewie noises.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mecha Gojira posted:

Pretty sure Willrow Hood's illegal ice cream operation was something I made up for Ewokpedia years ago. But I'm glad it stuck in someone's head.

I invented it independently while writing that post, unfortunately.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Why do they keep changing the pronunciation of Han throughout all three movies?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

UmOk posted:

You need to be careful jivjov. Some sequels take place before the original.

Borderlands Star Wars: The Pre-Sequel

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

THE BAR posted:

Why do they keep changing the pronunciation of Han throughout all three movies?

Would you have the balls to tell Billy Dee Williams that he was saying it wrong?

Kinda like how Ford insists on saying "Fall-con" even though nobody says it like that except Humphrey Bogart.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Basebf555 posted:

Would you have the balls to tell Billy Dee Williams that he was saying it wrong?

Kinda like how Ford insists on saying "Fall-con" even though nobody says it like that except Humphrey Bogart.

I like how Billy Dee's pronunciation seems to be contagious, since Carrie Fisher starts imitating him in that scene despite pronouncing Han's name correctly at all other times.

Also I don't know why I noticed this but for some reason in TFA Ford says "Falcon" the normal way. Bizarre, right?

Incidentally, I think we've maybe reached the bottom of the well in terms of discussion topics.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The Rock might not be a bad idea. Chewie dies and his son comes to help out, his son being the Rock in the same costume. Exact same costume.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't know if Chewie's son is the right role for The Rock, but I do know that the Star Wars universe desperately needs The Rock to be involved in some way. They should paint him blue and have him play Thrawn.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Cnut the Great posted:

I like how Billy Dee's pronunciation seems to be contagious, since Carrie Fisher starts imitating him in that scene despite pronouncing Han's name correctly at all other times.

Also I don't know why I noticed this but for some reason in TFA Ford says "Falcon" the normal way. Bizarre, right?

Incidentally, I think we've maybe reached the bottom of the well in terms of discussion topics.

Clearly the person in TFA was not Han Solo :tinfoil:

I definitely pronounce Han both ways, just like I do with "either" and "often".

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

Someone please check if he's bigger than previous depictions of Han.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Han will reappear in Episode 8 as an amnesiac wearing a mask.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

feedmyleg posted:

Thrackan Sal-Solo!

(Han Solo had an identical evil cousin. He was assassinated by Boba Fett. Yes, the Legends EU was weird.)

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 4, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Lord Hydronium posted:

Thrackan Sal-Solo!

(Han Solo had an identical evil cousin. Yes, the Legends EU was weird.)
Pretty sure that's just Zizek.

Man what's with Star Wars characters looking like that silly man?

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Basebf555 posted:

Lando has known Han longer than any other character that isn't Chewie, so I'm going to assume he's right and everyone else is wrong.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Pops Mgee posted:

Lando has known Han longer than any other character that isn't Chewie, so I'm going to assume he's right and everyone else is wrong.

Even Han himself?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

THE BAR posted:

Even Han himself?

Han isn't exactly the brightest star in the sky.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

THE BAR posted:

Even Han himself?
I believe ANH established that Han doesn't know himself very well. :smug:

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

Well SMG America just let the loving wookie win. I will love you forever for opening my eyes to a world of filmic artistry that changed literally everything for me (alongside many other insightful CD'ers but you were first and best) about how I viewed cinema, art, and life in general but now I finally feel this understanding of your concept of freedom fully and thank you and despise you for it.

There is nothing in my being now but the knowledge of what I allowed to happen and the knowledge that I didn't do more (enough) to stop it. Palpatine wins because Palpatine wins (my phone tried to AC this to Palestine which is loving next level trolling me.)

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Picard Day posted:

Well SMG America just let the loving wookie win. I will love you forever for opening my eyes to a world of filmic artistry that changed literally everything for me (alongside many other insightful CD'ers but you were first and best) about how I viewed cinema, art, and life in general but now I finally feel this understanding of your concept of freedom fully and thank you and despise you for it.

There is nothing in my being now but the knowledge of what I allowed to happen and the knowledge that I didn't do more (enough) to stop it. Palpatine wins because Palpatine wins (my phone tried to AC this to Palestine which is loving next level trolling me.)

Lol. loving Star Wars thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
Let's start our own Rebel Alliance wherein we assemble a rag-tag team of misfits and social outcasts and embark on a desperate (some would say foolhardy) mission to Facebook to wail and gnash our teeth and blame BernieBros for our own incompetence. Or just learn from our mistakes and organize politically and volunteer in local elections or whatever, but that's not as glamorous.

But honestly one of the biggest dangers of a Trump presidency is the fact that he now has access to all those "emergency powers" Bush granted himself, and which we complacently allowed Obama to preserve and expand, thinking that the person in charge would always be someone virtuous enough to lay them aside when not absolutely needed, and never abuse them for their own power-hungry ends. Can't say Star Wars didn't predict that one. But then again it didn't exactly take a Nostradamus LOL.

• Locked thread