Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Hellblazer187 posted:

Anyways I sauntered into the thread to mention my academy has been open pretty much this entire time. It closed during April, but opened up again and has been running more or less as normal. From what I understand of the local health regulations, that's kinda on the illegal side (the authorities shut down the dance academy my wife used to go to, and if anything that's a lower transmission risk than jiu jitsu). I'm still not going. I'm not returning until Covid is over or at least there are easily available treatments. Alternatively, if immunity could be proven via antibody tests and it turns out I already had it I'd go back. It sucks, I want to train, but I have to be responsible too.

Sigh. I guess it's just me and the kettlebells for a while!

Same here, it led me to cut my ties to the gym a few weeks ago. I'd heard from others that they were advertising small group practices on the private FB group. I checked the main website which still says they're closed up, but then on the schedule page I saw pretty much a full schedule of practices. I texted the owner asking him to give me a call. 2 days later I hadn't heard anything so I stopped in right before an evening practice was supposed to start. There was maybe a dozen people including at least one physician on the mat. No masks and all huddled against the wall like we all do. They looked thrilled at the idea of having one more person possibly joining them. The owner apologized for not getting back to me, said he had been too busy. Running a gym. In a state where gyms aren't allowed to open until at least next month. I asked him nicely to stop my dues and again asked him to call me but he never did :( . Call me that is.

I can't see myself grappling again this year, and I'm guessing the university clubs here won't return this entire academic year. Its a bummer. I was seriously thinking about kendo the other day. Whether it could be practiced safely with masks or not and if it would tickle the same itch in any way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
I've had 2 labrum repairs on my left shoulder and it hasn't felt right/strong for years until I finally starting doing heavy TGU. Got up to 32kg doing simple and sinister and my shoulders feel amazing now.

Just make sure your mats aren't slippery from sweat, the only times I've felt unsafe doing them is when my mats were slick from sweat and I was slipping a bit. Now I always keep towels handy to dry off the mats when they get wet.

a god damn idiot
Sep 7, 2006

Jerome Louis posted:

Just make sure your mats aren't slippery from sweat, the only times I've felt unsafe doing them is when my mats were slick from sweat and I was slipping a bit. Now I always keep towels handy to dry off the mats when they get wet.

This is good advice.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

ihop posted:

Same here, it led me to cut my ties to the gym a few weeks ago. I'd heard from others that they were advertising small group practices on the private FB group. I checked the main website which still says they're closed up, but then on the schedule page I saw pretty much a full schedule of practices. I texted the owner asking him to give me a call. 2 days later I hadn't heard anything so I stopped in right before an evening practice was supposed to start. There was maybe a dozen people including at least one physician on the mat. No masks and all huddled against the wall like we all do. They looked thrilled at the idea of having one more person possibly joining them. The owner apologized for not getting back to me, said he had been too busy. Running a gym. In a state where gyms aren't allowed to open until at least next month. I asked him nicely to stop my dues and again asked him to call me but he never did :( . Call me that is.

I can't see myself grappling again this year, and I'm guessing the university clubs here won't return this entire academic year. Its a bummer. I was seriously thinking about kendo the other day. Whether it could be practiced safely with masks or not and if it would tickle the same itch in any way.

This is basically exactly me, including my dad suggesting taking up Kendo.

I just want to hug sweaty men and not have to worry about dying... where have I heard this one before?

Also thanks to both Hellblazer (for the kettlebell weight suggestions), and Cyber Sandwich for the workout routine. I got faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat, and now that I have to start wearing suits again, it's painfully obvious that I did. :smith:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Once our local case load drops a bit I'm going to find some tight masks and do leg drills or standup drills with select people.

Mursupitsku
Sep 12, 2011
My country (Finland) had almost no new cases for a couple months. Our gym opened up at the start of June with rolling only in groups of 5 and since the beginning of August we've gotten back to normal schedule. Its been great.

However now the cases are creeping back up and the writing is on the wall for a re-closure of the gym and somehow its 10x more daunting this time around. :smith:

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Had a white belt clinch his fist at me from mount the other day, like he was ready to unload. I dont know how I feel about this. On the one hand I was thinking: "dude if you fire that, I am loving you up" and on the other hand I was thinking "this dude must have some deeply rooted ego issues that he is bringing on the mat and I am probably not the first one to see this behavior". I caught him the other day putting another white belt to sleep via a choke and then get up with a grin on his face. I am not a big fan of this poo poo and usually drop the hammer pretty quickly on dudes like this but I have been trying to work with him, understand where he is coming from and just try to be nice to him to understand his background and mindset.

Just wondering if anyone else deals with this and how you go about approaching it.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Had a white belt clinch his fist at me from mount the other day, like he was ready to unload. I dont know how I feel about this. On the one hand I was thinking: "dude if you fire that, I am loving you up" and on the other hand I was thinking "this dude must have some deeply rooted ego issues that he is bringing on the mat and I am probably not the first one to see this behavior". I caught him the other day putting another white belt to sleep via a choke and then get up with a grin on his face. I am not a big fan of this poo poo and usually drop the hammer pretty quickly on dudes like this but I have been trying to work with him, understand where he is coming from and just try to be nice to him to understand his background and mindset.

Just wondering if anyone else deals with this and how you go about approaching it.

When you see them cross the line next time, you'll know what to do :crackping:

I would have put him in belly down time-out and whisper in their ear not to ever do it again to me or anyone else if someone balled their fist at me in BJJ. Oddly enough when I first started doing Army combatives I was training with a friend in college. I mounted him one day and he straight-up slapped the poo poo out of me out of some weird reflex. This guy sounds crazy though.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Definitely something I would bring up with whoever is responsible for new students at your gym. I think you get the culture you make at a gym, and personally I wouldn't want that to be a thing.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Been talking about something similar to this with my black belt friend who is considering opening her own gym and runs the fundamentals program at our current gym.

The current culture of our gym would not really punish or discourage that kind of behavior. That guy would probably ruin other random white belts training sessions for awhile till he rolls with someone good who gets sick of his poo poo and completely smashes him or injures him, and he'll probably end up quitting.

To support a healthy gym culture that kind of behavior needs to be addressed immediately through having a frank discussion with them from a coach or respected high level gym member that that kind of behavior is not acceptable and will lead to them getting kicked out if continued. He can either use that feedback to correct himself and learn/grow or he can continue to be a dickhead and eventually injure someone or get smashed and get injured himself.

Ultimately his current behavior is toxic to a good gym culture and should be brought up to a coach who ideally should correct him. If that doesn't happen then it might be time for the gym enforcer stuff from the upper belts. In the past I would go straight to gym enforcer stuff but I think it's worth giving people a chance to learn and grow.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Do other gyms not regularly get speeches about How to be Chill

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

I caught him the other day putting another white belt to sleep via a choke and then get up with a grin on his face.

This sounds   :redflag:very:redflag:troubling:redflag:   btw, like 100% unacceptable on multiple levels. Including some that I'm assuming ("didn't feel" the tap? not tending to an unconscious training partner?) beyond just what you've explicated here.

Please take this seriously.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Grace Baiting posted:

This sounds   :redflag:very:redflag:troubling:redflag:   btw, like 100% unacceptable on multiple levels. Including some that I'm assuming ("didn't feel" the tap? not tending to an unconscious training partner?) beyond just what you've explicated here.

Please take this seriously.

yeah this is a :wtc: situation. It's a big deal whenever someone goes out at our club and nobody ever feels good about it.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

I would echo the "you need to deal with this guy asap" sentiment being thrown around. Start with the most responsible way, and talk to him about his behaviour, but if it persists, green-light him. Someone people only learn through the sandpaper method, as unfortunate as it is.

Other people never learn, and they never come back.

EDIT: Putting someone to sleep is really bad, but accidents happen (although the smile on his face is strike 1 and 2 as it indicates either a lack of compassion or premeditation). Cocking your fist like you're gonna hit someone is also premeditation and well outside the boundaries of grappling that it's really hard to see it as anything other than intentional, nerves/emotions/lack of brain cells being little to no justification that would satisfy me. He would deffo be on the watch list after the talk, and if anything remotely sketchy happened with him in a roll, sayonara.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 21, 2020

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I have to confess that sometimes in the before before times if I were grappling with a friend of mine we'd sometimes pantomime strikes at each other. I'd never do it to a random white belt ofc.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
If you don't leapfrog from north-south to reverse mount so you can get pretend to GnP your partner's balls just as the round ends then why even train

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!
So, them getups are... difficult. I feel like my bones were lightly crushed by a hydraulic press but my body parts seem to be moving as intended. I definitely needed to use both arms bringing the weight back down to my chest.

On the gym culture note, I find that nearly all people in the gyms I've been to have an active desire to keep their partners uninjured. I'll echo the motion of giving the white belt a stern word. Give the ones who turn a deaf ear the demon shark tank treatment or "mistakenly" sign them up for blue belt competition.

Also, I have to try Craig Jones' cheeky sankaku from mount.
I really like this idea of raising uke's upper body using the crossface arm's fist in the armpit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnlx_hNfuZ4

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

CommonShore posted:

I have to confess that sometimes in the before before times if I were grappling with a friend of mine we'd sometimes pantomime strikes at each other. I'd never do it to a random white belt ofc.

There's no problem doing any sort of striking stuff so long as you discuss it with your partner beforehand. Doing it unannounced on some white belt is disturbing.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Jerome Louis posted:

Ultimately his current behavior is toxic to a good gym culture and should be brought up to a coach who ideally should correct him. If that doesn't happen then it might be time for the gym enforcer stuff from the upper belts. In the past I would go straight to gym enforcer stuff but I think it's worth giving people a chance to learn and grow.

Jerome I think you know my gym. We are all pretty friendly in there.

I would say this makes up about 5% to 10% of the white belts that come into our gym. Usually this type of behavior is over within the first week of them joining the gym, and I have never once seen a woman do this as a white belt. TBH Im honestly starting to get a little tired of it the further up the rank I go and the more time I put on the mat. I have mentioned it to my instructor before and he says to me "work with him" and I am usually hinted this means to help get the ego in check (usually through talking with him). However I have also been told by black belts that if they start acting like assholes and wrecking other white belts its green light time to drop the hammer.

Sounds like I need to have another talk with my coach. I hate doing this repeatedly though.

leftist heap posted:

Do other gyms not regularly get speeches about How to be Chill

In my gym this needs to happen more regularly IMO. My instructor happens to be an old school brazilian and I have never heard a speech about the white belts just need to relax when rolling. Never.

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 21, 2020

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Jerome I think you know my gym. We are all pretty friendly in there.

Yep for sure. I know most of the upper belts are very friendly, kind people but I remember that due to the area you're in there are a good amount of wanna be tough guy bro dudes or military guys who can go ham (but usually chill after they get experience). I remember your head instructor is pretty old school in a way, I remember when I first started there he was telling us how when he first started teaching Americans he was extra tough on everyone and wasn't very friendly and expected basically 100% from everyone every time. Then he started losing students really quickly and learned that's not how to run a successful school in America. It's been awhile since I've trained there but I would expect him to let the upper belts decide how to handle it, since he still does probably have some of that tough side to him. I know back when Adam was an upper blue/new purple he was kind of an enforcer there even though he was so nice to everyone. I wonder how he would approach it now.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Jerome Louis posted:

Yep for sure. I know most of the upper belts are very friendly, kind people but I remember that due to the area you're in there are a good amount of wanna be tough guy bro dudes or military guys who can go ham (but usually chill after they get experience). I remember your head instructor is pretty old school in a way, I remember when I first started there he was telling us how when he first started teaching Americans he was extra tough on everyone and wasn't very friendly and expected basically 100% from everyone every time. Then he started losing students really quickly and learned that's not how to run a successful school in America. It's been awhile since I've trained there but I would expect him to let the upper belts decide how to handle it, since he still does probably have some of that tough side to him. I know back when Adam was an upper blue/new purple he was kind of an enforcer there even though he was so nice to everyone. I wonder how he would approach it now.

Hes second in command now/Assistant professor. He basically just toys with them and then tells them what they did wrong. Im basically at that point now too, where I just toy with HAM white belts., ie try new stuff. I try to be an example of how to act.

Im going to continue to try working with him. He seems to be dedicated. Hes in all the time. Everyone has some form of history they bring to the mat, I think its my job as one of the upper belts now to help in whatever way I can.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
In Scotland, looks like we're back to full contact training in mid September. Cannot believe we have a date to return. Hopefully it doesn't get delayed.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

dedicated while displaying a lack of control isn't a positive trait. from my experience these guys either quit after getting humbled enough or stick to it and become the toquinhos and tex johnsons of the world

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
I've seen plenty of people (myself included) do the pantomimed fake hit as a cheeky thing in the middle of drilling or rolling; it's not a big deal by itself. I've never seen someone celebrate after putting someone to sleep, though--that's distasteful in a competition and borderline sociopathic in the gym, IMO.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

ICHIBAHN posted:

In Scotland, looks like we're back to full contact training in mid September. Cannot believe we have a date to return. Hopefully it doesn't get delayed.

In South Florida everyone is just ... carrying on. TBH I sometimes feel weird/bad that I'm not in the gym.

It's also hard because since it's all personal choice I just have to decide when to go back, I guess.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
Here in NYC, there’s a gym near that has everything going on in secret and now they’re going to try to bring back the children members.

I’m just :stare: and just staying away until a vaccine because unless daily tests can be done or a vaccine, I’m never going to trust anyone in a grappling environment to be safe.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Gyms reopened here a while ago and we have training bubbles of 10 people each. The bubbles -in theory- don't interact though there's been some crossover. Training with such a small pool of people is starting to become a bit frustrating. My group includes several women and old men. There's no shortage of skill, but my opponents lack the physicality of some of the beefy blue and purple belts that used to trounce me. I'm definitely improving, but I worry that I'll get smashed when I go back to fighting guys that are a lot stronger than me.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Miching Mallecho posted:

Here in NYC, there’s a gym near that has everything going on in secret and now they’re going to try to bring back the children members.

I’m just :stare: and just staying away until a vaccine because unless daily tests can be done or a vaccine, I’m never going to trust anyone in a grappling environment to be safe.

Which gym? Name and shame, please.

The Darlok
May 25, 2006

I am watching you.

Xguard86 posted:

In South Florida everyone is just ... carrying on. TBH I sometimes feel weird/bad that I'm not in the gym.

It's also hard because since it's all personal choice I just have to decide when to go back, I guess.

Deeply feeling this same thing in the Clearwater area. Apparently there was just a tournament held in Tampa? It seems really ridiculous to me. But yeah don't really know how to decide when to train again. Apparently the 2-week average for the positivity rate in Pinellas is like between 4 and 5% right now, and the cases per day has been dropping... Is that good enough? Sure would be nice to have some sort of guidance rather than the "do whatever the hell you want" that's going on right now.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Tacos... the answer is to smash, smash, and smash. No tapping him, just pure smash.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

heeebrew posted:

Tacos... the answer is to smash, smash, and smash. No tapping him, just pure smash.

That actually comes easy for me.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

The Darlok posted:

Deeply feeling this same thing in the Clearwater area. Apparently there was just a tournament held in Tampa? It seems really ridiculous to me. But yeah don't really know how to decide when to train again. Apparently the 2-week average for the positivity rate in Pinellas is like between 4 and 5% right now, and the cases per day has been dropping... Is that good enough? Sure would be nice to have some sort of guidance rather than the "do whatever the hell you want" that's going on right now.

The company I work for is HQed in Florida. They have been very responsible and careful, so I feel like they're a credible source for helping decisions. They have everyone on wfh through this year so that is my gym plan.

I am also father to a very young child and the income earner. We moved to this area only last year with zero existing family or friends so similarly my wife has no support for childcare.

When COVID started I was having nightmares that my baby lays crying in the arms of two dead parents. Got that from a book on the black death I read a long time ago. Thankfully, it doesn't seem that bad.

All that is to say that even a "mild" COVID case could be very hard for us. If I were 24 and single in my home town, I might be more willing to keep away from everyone else but venture to the gym.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

What's everyone's favorite submission? IE, if you were on a desert island this is the submission you would bring with you.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

fist choke

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I can't decide between high elbow guillotine or RNC. I guess if I want to pick for style, guillotine, if I want to pick for reliability, RNC.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

I wish i was better at kimura's, because they're cool. But arm triangles are the only thing I really pull off.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

spb posted:

What's everyone's favorite submission? IE, if you were on a desert island this is the submission you would bring with you.

loop choke :gritin:

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Quick question for you guys: Is a belt grab used like a lapel grab (think worm guard) IBJJF legal in tournaments? I know you can grab the belt in the back or from like knee on belly. Wondering if you can do the same thing with the loose end of the belt? Is that allowed in IBJJF competition?

spb posted:

Armbar or Kimura if we are talking about joint locks. They're all over the place, but nothing replaces a good choke, thats #1.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Quick question for you guys: Is a belt grab used like a lapel grab (think worm guard) IBJJF legal in tournaments? I know you can grab the belt in the back or from like knee on belly. Wondering if you can do the same thing with the loose end of the belt? Is that allowed in IBJJF competition?

It's legal AFAIK, but pulling on a loose end tends to untie the belt pretty quickly even if it's securely tied. It's fine to go for if it's available, but I wouldn't make it a core part of your game.

It is a great force multiplier if you wrap it behind their leg and stand up into a single, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

I don't know, but if you want something funny to occupy your time in training you can use it in a modified spider guard. Its only slightly effective, but does have the hilarious consequence of making it very difficult for your opponent to breath because you're tightening their belt every time you extend.