Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Shut the gently caress up about monarchies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

steinrokkan posted:

Nationalization is not a permanent solution, if history is something to go by. Sbaldrick mentioned an example from Austria. Similarly the Czech republic is still dealing with returning property to the Church and to aristocrats, more than half a century after nationalization. Needless to say it inspires less than elegant popular passions.

Which just goes to show, there's no point in abolishing the monarchy if you aren't also going to abolish the liberal capitalist system that continues to recognise the gains made by the aristocracy during the several thousand years before feudalism got the heave ho.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

forkboy84 posted:

Which just goes to show, there's no point in abolishing the monarchy if you aren't also going to abolish the liberal capitalist system that continues to recognise the gains made by the aristocracy during the several thousand years before feudalism got the heave ho and also the capitalists which succeeded them.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I know more than a few people who don't think monarchies serve any purpose whatsoever, but are simply made happy by the fact that princesses and poo poo exist. As in, they literally think monarchies don't work that great but they do feel like the world would be a less colorful place is princesses didn't exist anymore.

I can kinda understand that sentiment. People need things to dream about, and why not "being a princess"? In my communist utopia, there will be many titles of nobility, but they will be assigned by lottery and redistributed every 2 years. Anybody can be the Duke of Milwaukee or Queen of the USA, isn't that neat? Also, gender will not be considered when assigning titles. You are always the Queen of the USA regardless of gender or sexual orientation. If you don't like it, I don't think you'd fit into my communist utopia very well anyway.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Ras Het posted:

This is such a stupid argument, particularly when what everyone is basically saying is that it's the idea of inherited power that is evil. Which it is. And Britain is a country of happy slaves who apparently do not really care that their royalty have been, among other things, nazis.

So is this in bad faith or are you actually the last person in the world to still believe the British monarchy is anything but a dumb figurehead? Oh no I hope she doesn't use her power to dissolve government which would result in her having that one last theatrical tradition removed! And this is the UK. We may be slaves but we're certainly not happy.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Regarde Aduck posted:

So is this in bad faith or are you actually the last person in the world to still believe the British monarchy is anything but a dumb figurehead? Oh no I hope she doesn't use her power to dissolve government which would result in her having that one last theatrical tradition removed! And this is the UK. We may be slaves but we're certainly not happy.

Have you heard of the House of Lords?

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2013/jan/14/secret-papers-royals-veto-bills

The royal family is a lot of things, but powerless is not one of them.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I can kinda understand that sentiment. People need things to dream about, and why not "being a princess"? In my communist utopia, there will be many titles of nobility, but they will be assigned by lottery and redistributed every 2 years. Anybody can be the Duke of Milwaukee or Queen of the USA, isn't that neat? Also, gender will not be considered when assigning titles. You are always the Queen of the USA regardless of gender or sexual orientation. If you don't like it, I don't think you'd fit into my communist utopia very well anyway.

This is cool and good. When does your communist utopia start?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

An oldie but a goodie:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Counties that are, ironically, not even worth pissing on.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Orange Devil posted:

I'm going to start by conquering my own office, then try to form a vanguard of the other offices in my hallway. And then communism will happen.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

icantfindaname posted:

there's this thing called nationalization that britain has done some of in the past :ussr:

As long as Britain is a member of the EU you can't really nationalize the Crown lands, it's a settled law due to Austria losing to the Hapsburgs.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Trabisnikof posted:

An oldie but a goodie:

Counties that have more square miles than people?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Orange Devil posted:

Counties that are, ironically, not even worth pissing on.

In other words, counties with fewer than x inhabitants.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Trabisnikof posted:

An oldie but a goodie:

Counties/equivalents with a population of roughly 10,000 or less?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Is where sasquatches actually live?

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Flipperwaldt posted:

Even sasquatch wouldn't live in Oscoda county.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Soviet Commubot posted:

Even sasquatch wouldn't live in Oscoda county.
What if he's just registered there for tax reasons or something?

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,

Trabisnikof posted:

An oldie but a goodie:

Counties where all the Scandinavian immigrants were chased off too?

misdirectomy
Feb 19, 2008
Counties with more _________ than people.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

misdirectomy posted:

Counties with more _________ than people.

I was thinking rural/urban population divide but I've got no real perspective. Then I reverse GIS'd it and now I'm extremely curious cos the results made no sense.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Orange Devil posted:

Also how does the line of succession work if one of the randomly-selected royalty are assassinated before their reign is up? Not that I'm premeditating regicide or anything, it's just important information I need to know.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.
I thought it was a population-related thing, but look at West Texas. Most of those square counties have like 100 people in them and most are shaded white on the map.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

davebo posted:

Also how does the line of succession work if one of the randomly-selected royalty are assassinated before their reign is up? Not that I'm premeditating regicide or anything, it's just important information I need to know.

You know how everything are technically in a familiar relationship with each other if you go back enough steps? There will always be a king.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Trabisnikof posted:

An oldie but a goodie:

I remembered this map. Counties with less than 25 blacks.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Peanut President posted:

Double political load, the colour key. :vince:

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Flipperwaldt posted:

There's no counties in Florida and Florida is home to the Skunk Ape. It's a sasquatch that smells terrible because it perfectly encapsulates Florida compared to the rest of the country.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Peanut President posted:

Correct! 10 points to the farmer from Archer!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I only count 2 coastal counties.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

cheerfullydrab posted:

I only count 2 coastal counties.

There's at least 5 in Alaska, but the boroughs and census areas in the south are hard to make out. Unless you're being pedantic with your use of county.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

There's no counties in Florida and Florida is home to the Skunk Ape. It's a sasquatch that smells terrible because it perfectly encapsulates Florida compared to the rest of the country.

It was rolling around during a bender on the floor of a handicap stall in a wal-mart bathroom.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Cold-War early warning network for North America.

Russian early warning network. I like how you can still pretty much see the borders of the former USSR.

tough stains
May 23, 2007

Desire gets the upper hand over insight and foresight and the results are often needless entanglement.
Looking for maps in Spanish for the kid, and came across this gem. How can you not love Italy and Siberia merging in the next half-century?

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

IntricoInutile posted:

Looking for maps in Spanish for the kid, and came across this gem. How can you not love Italy and Siberia merging in the next half-century?

The Anarchist Empire simplifies the South China Sea competing claims some, at least.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

davebo posted:

If you kill a royal, you become a royal, like in that really weird movie with Vin Diesel.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

point of return posted:

If you kill a royal, you become a royal, like in that really weird movie with Vin Diesel.

I don't remember that plot point from the Fast & the Furious, but if you say so.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

davebo posted:

Anyone wishing to take the royal title for the remainder of its term submits themselves to a set of trials to be broadcast on television. Those who complete the trials go head-to-head in a contest to see who can lay down the sikkest freestyle rap disses, with the winner taking the title.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Or "the monarch" is just a copyrighted mascot concept, and there is a unionized group of Costumed Monarchs who will perform at your trade agreement/child's birthday for a fee. "Are you the real Queen? No, but I'm one of her helpers" &c. &c.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

IntricoInutile posted:

I love how the Irish are not taking any of this "being a part of a massive country" poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Another Person posted:

I love how the Irish are not taking any of this "being a part of a massive country" poo poo.

Excuse me they appear to own most of Africa.