Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Just set a requester chest for power armor?

Edit: no I’m assuming a massive bot network. Probably don’t have that sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
Make a deconstruction planner for power armor and drape it over the entire base, with the above poster's requester chest that ought to cover things.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Duodecimal posted:

Make a deconstruction planner for power armor and drape it over the entire base, with the above poster's requester chest that ought to cover things.

Doesn't this only work if it's sitting on the ground somewhere? If it's in offline, non-logistic storage (chest, railcar, or an inserter's hand, etc) will this still tag it?

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There's actually 2 mods you can use to find things across your base:

There's BeastFinder, which will search for items and put an icon on your map for you where it found the item. I used this a lot in my Py base.

There's another mod that I've been wanting to try out, haven't actually used it: FactorySearch. Same thing as BeastFinder, though I think it uses a different algorithm and might be less of a lagmonster as BeastFinder can get pretty resource intensive on big bases.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

You can also set a deconstruction planner to pick up any dropped ground items.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
After 61 hours, I completed Krastorio 2. Here's a little piece of my spaghetti base:

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

Teledahn posted:

Doesn't this only work if it's sitting on the ground somewhere?

That's exactly what it's suggested for, being in a chest somewhere would be easy by comparison.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Guys, just make a new armor.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

*taps chin while surveying massive factory churning out every conceivable resource nonstop*

"Now where did I put my armor??"

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I just end up making armor in my mall and forgetting to set a limit so I go and look for my power armor and I have 1000 of them

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Azhais posted:

I just end up making armor in my mall and forgetting to set a limit so I go and look for my power armor and I have 1000 of them

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Azhais posted:

I'm currently sad because I made the mistake of building my refinery and liquid bus on the wrong side of my main bus (I left the left side of the bus open to add more columns of belts, but put the liquid stuff to the right on the far side of a bunch of infrastructure), so I can't expand my mall any more or I end up in the other bus.

I guess it's just time to swap entirely to a robot mall & bus using provider chests!

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Or you add some very interesting and fun and spaghetti to swap the buses around :sickos:

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Got my yearly itch to play factorio again and figured I would try out the Py mod this time since I did Bob+Angels my last time and it wasn't toooooo bad.

First try lasted about 20 minutes when I realized it was going to be HOURS to even get red science up and gently caress fighting biters with just a handgun, so those guys went on passive for my next run.

I've just got to the point where I have red science fully automated and flowing pretty well, and about to give myself an aneurysm by looking at what I need for logistics science

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Just wait until you figure out you need poop to automate circuits.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I looked it up and I played Py for nearly 100 hours and I still couldn't automate belts. Are you sure you want to do that to yourself?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

What do you mean, red science is very straightforward

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Yeah even Bobs keeps red+green reasonably simple.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

all that work to make a combination of cellulose and bacterial culture when you could simply buy a sandwich from subway

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Azhais posted:

Haha cool, no thanks.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

KillHour posted:

I looked it up and I played Py for nearly 100 hours and I still couldn't automate belts. Are you sure you want to do that to yourself?

Honestly the only really awful part so far was the fact that red science requires a ton of wood and you can't automate wood until several techs deep. Way too much manual chopping involved.

Automated belts was pretty simple, inserters require chips though....... and thats my next next project because I finally looked at the requirements for logistics packs and LOL who the gently caress designed this mod

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Firebatgyro posted:

Honestly the only really awful part so far was the fact that red science requires a ton of wood and you can't automate wood until several techs deep. Way too much manual chopping involved.

Automated belts was pretty simple, inserters require chips though....... and thats my next next project because I finally looked at the requirements for logistics packs and LOL who the gently caress designed this mod

Right, it was inserters... Good luck!

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Azhais posted:

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Haha cool, no thanks.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

KillHour posted:

Just wait until you figure out you need poop to automate circuits.

Hey you can do it with blood, too!

KillHour posted:

Right, it was inserters... Good luck!

I absolutely suggest miniloader or whatever mod adds the chutes that are passive no-power loaders that run at 3.75 items/s at the cost of like 5 iron each.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Azhais posted:

So what kind of stuff is locked behind red science?

Because I keep seeing mods that do poo poo like automating basic inserter and conveyer poo poo at the twenty hour mark, and then I hope the gently caress out and decide that if I want a Factorio-but-not-base-game experience I go and play DSP instead.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Breetai posted:

So what kind of stuff is locked behind red science?

Because I keep seeing mods that do poo poo like automating basic inserter and conveyer poo poo at the twenty hour mark, and then I hope the gently caress out and decide that if I want a Factorio-but-not-base-game experience I go and play DSP instead.

there are Factorio+ mods out there that give a change to the base gameplay with a reasonable new challenge. I can't get past just how drat good base factorio is. The fundamental design is so fine tuned that it's hard to transition to other factory builder games.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

DSP is really good. It's worth a shot.

Also, what I want out of a modded factorio isn't a slower early game. I want blueprints and construction bots 5 minutes into the game, and then bring on the super complicated stuff. To me, factorio is a game about design, and what I want from a modded tech tree is different and/or more complicated design challenges than the base game. It's not really a game about clicking on rocks.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Dr. Stab posted:

Also, what I want out of a modded factorio isn't a slower early game. I want blueprints and construction bots 5 minutes into the game, and then bring on the super complicated stuff. To me, factorio is a game about design, and what I want from a modded tech tree is different and/or more complicated design challenges than the base game. It's not really a game about clicking on rocks.

that sounds like a job for more mods

because you can totally do that

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

I like the early game in Nullius. You get a bevy of machines to start with so from the very beginning you're laying down processes rather than hand mining or feeding burners, and your production tools are just different enough (2x2 assemblers, longer undergrounds, no long inserters) that your vanilla design patterns need to be rethought.

Also a personal roboport. That always helps.

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy

Dr. Stab posted:

Has anyone played around with the DSP multiplayer mod? Is it as buggy as I assume it is?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Seablock update:

Here's the base. I'm up to blue circuits, pink, and purple science.

Power and legacy power southwest. Legacy slag-based sludge south, geode based sludge southeast. Going up the west side is landfill, legacy science & labs, starter mall, resin, plastic, blue beakers, red circuits, boards, blue circuits, bots & batteries, pink & purple beakers. Center to east is crushed ore to chunks to crystals, then northwards is sorting, processing, smelting, then casting. More advanced metals moving eastwards. Up top is my bot based make everything which I really need to optimize its layout and get the flight distances down but :effort:.

Latest project was garden duplication as I eventually will need lots of plant science for biter techs for modules. The chain in helmod was pretty long and intimidating but I am very happy with how it turned out. Lots of reprocessing of outputs with topups and it's nice to be able to make co2 and sulphuric wastewater without imports now. In fact the only import is a bit of nutrient pulp. I'd say planning and building this was the perfect level of factorio challenge for me right now without descending in to masochism or crazy tedium.

Next is getting titanium and the other hybrid-catalyst-tier metals from direct sorting then going back to modules once I have a big surplus of plant science. Then it will be the cupric and ferrous chains for platinum and chrome and a push to gold science. Then I dunno big train based scaling maybe? launching some rockets?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
By comparison here's a highly optimized base that a speedrunner made in 16 hours of playtime that just unlocked logistic system which is just nuts. I believe this is from premaking the entire base, breaking it up in to BPs, then in-game stamping and building the BPs as fast as possible.

Judging by power consumption his base is putting out 1.7x the throughput as mine too, sustained. Lol.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Speaking of mods for masochists, how is Firebatgyro doing? Do we need to send someone to check up on them?

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

KillHour posted:

Speaking of mods for masochists, how is Firebatgyro doing? Do we need to send someone to check up on them?

Been getting sidetracked refactoring a bunch of stuff to be more efficient and fixed my power situation. Here is some nice spaghetti I set up last night getting this animal life chain going so I can get the materials I need for automating chips.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Firebatgyro posted:

getting this animal life chain going so I can get the materials I need for automating chips.

Oh dear

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I managed to get a nuclear plant going. It required some fiddling but it seems to work now. I realized I can save the extra heat as steam in tanks. So the system works like this: a hand removes a spent fuel cell, when steam is below 5k. When a hand removes a spent cell, anothe hand loads an unspent fuel cell. This repeats. The two reactors seem to be mostly offline with current power consumption.

I got fed up with spaghetti and removed it all. Just deleted 3/4 of my base, RIP. Made a giant rear end main bus and replaced most stoves with electric models.

I need to get science, robots and many other stuff back to production. Now I theoretically have a more expandable system so I think it was worth it to just delete it all. I wasn't making any science anyways because I hadn't gotten yellow potion production online yet.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Awww yeah, look at that main bus. I love it. I generally leave 3 tiles between the bus lines, but for no specific reason I can recall yet.

I also waffle between bussing green chips and making them in-chain. Eventually the demand becomes such that my bus just never keeps up with it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Once I start needing purple chips, it feels like it's impossible to have too many green chips so I fire up an up-gradable production facility Somewhere Else and haul them in with trains, dumping them onto a bus. It's the only way I've found to keep up.

Doing it in chain feels like the layout problem gets way more annoying because now you have to get iron and copper in there too instead of just more greens.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Ihmemies posted:

I managed to get a nuclear plant going. It required some fiddling but it seems to work now. I realized I can save the extra heat as steam in tanks. So the system works like this: a hand removes a spent fuel cell, when steam is below 5k. When a hand removes a spent cell, anothe hand loads an unspent fuel cell. This repeats. The two reactors seem to be mostly offline with current power consumption.

It's cool seeing how new people set stuff up like this, but I have one hopefully constructive comment: I may be blind, but I don't see any way for the top two reactors to even get fuel cells. They may be offline simply because they can't get fuel, or have spent fuel removed. The picture is too low res to zoom in further to try to see.

Also, just an opinion thing, while I admire the people who rig up circuit stuff to control the flow of fuel into nuclear setups, once you get Kovarex up and running it becomes pretty much impossible to run out of fuel ever, so I never even bother with circuits and my nuclear plants just run full speed at all times with no circuits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Arrath posted:

Awww yeah, look at that main bus. I love it. I generally leave 3 tiles between the bus lines, but for no specific reason I can recall yet.

I'm a 3-tile separation guy also, because I've found that as I add/upgrade/change things, it's much easier to deal with belt conflicts crossing the bus with 3 open tiles as side-stepping is much easier and neater. It can certainly still be done with 2 tiles, but I just like 3.