Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Capsaicin posted:

I decided to buy Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective. How likely am I to actually figure any of the cases out?

My family and I play a case a year when we get together for Thanksgiving, and so far we're 0/2. Well, kinda, we actually solved the first case but took so many steps to do so that calling it a win is disingenuous at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

SynthOrange posted:

It's not really a deep game at all. At least not on the Ladies's side. It's two parallel games being played there and there's little interaction between the two except for the ladies trying to get as much money from their gent as possible.

Yeah, the asymmetrical gameplay was what interested me, that and the tongue-in-cheek theme seemed like a lot of fun. I could see this being a real problem, though.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Ladies and Gentlemen is good but it needs 6+. Both sides are pretty shallow, ladies is deeper/more complicated. Biggest issue is cards don't have great graphic design (there's no way to know earrings are earrings besides judging the picture), so that can get weirded with the "one item per type"

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

It's a cold day in Hell! If you have a lovely copy Mage Knight: Shades of Tezla (i.e. any copy), replacement kits are shipping out now. Sign up for a replacement manual on the Wizkids support site and they'll send you a new manual, tokens, and cards. I didn't get a chance to look at the components before leaving for Christmas, but BGG is reporting that the token sizes now match and the colors and cards are much closer, though not perfect.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 18, 2015

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Stickman posted:

It's a cold day in Hell! If you have a lovely copy Mage Knight: Shades of Tezla (i.e. any copy), replacement kits are shipping out now. Sign up for a replacement manual on the Wizkids support site and they'll send you a new manual, tokens, and cards. I didn't get a chance to look at the components before leaving for Christmas, but BGG is reporting that the token sizes now match and the colors and cards are much closer, though not perfect.

awesome

your link appears to... not really go anywhere though

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Hauki posted:

awesome

your link appears to... not really go anywhere though

Hooray! Here's a better link: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1487310/replacement-packages-now-available

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
A friend of mine got to play Codex last week and I'm insanely jealous. She said it was a lot of fun, and I'm going to cry every moment until I own it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Countblanc posted:

A friend of mine got to play Codex last week and I'm insanely jealous. She said it was a lot of fun, and I'm going to cry every moment until I own it.

Is that the obscure and mediocre 1975 electronic Hangman variant Codex, or the even more obscure 2010 card game Codex?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
So, Christmas.

I didn't really have anything in particular to ask for this year (well, nothing in acceptable price range), so I asked everyone to just surprise me, referred family to the girlfriend (in case they wanted try something nerdy but were unsure what's suitable), etc. My family did a piss-poor job of keeping their surprise gifts unspoiled (by brilliant strokes such as helping me with bubble wrap, as I had to ship some of my own gifts for goon secret santa, and forgetting to remove the receipt), so whenever possible (including the aforementioned secret santa) I kept asking for everything to be taken away from me and kept hidden, as I'm a being of poor self-control and yet wanting to have my surprise, goddamnit.

So, I'm pretty sure my girlfriend got me a mug and a board game, so after cursory glance at the package itself and imposing some basic self-limitations (no measurements before handing it off to custody, no questions to the basically-obvious aide-de-fun) I obviously began spergin' on what game in particular it is based on its dimensions (that's half the point of keeping it a mystery). I do have my likeliest suspect, yet started musing on my recollections of the package dimensions, as the characteristic 11.8 inch square boxed are not all that unified by virtue of varying depth.

Cutting to the chase, the puzzled expression of her when I told her it's a good thing I did not have it in my hands for too long because weighting it would be too easy a spoiler made me realize I have become the board game equivalent of the guy who tells tanks apart by the shape of their barrel. :spergin:

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
I hope before the realisation set in, you explained Rutibex's Guide to Empirical Board Game Validation with at least one standard ratio as an example.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
She was puzzled because it's not actually a board game at all, but secretly a box of socks or something.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Jabor posted:

She was puzzled because it's not actually a board game at all, but secretly a box of socks or something.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

The best use of a Settlers board really.

Jinkeez
Dec 31, 2008

Indolent Bastard posted:

The best use of a Settlers board really.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

http://senseis.xmp.net/?NuclearTesuji

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Got a chance to play some Favor of the Pharaoh last night. For those who haven't played To Court the King, think Yahtzee where you need certain combinations to get more dice or unlock certain special powers like setting a die where you want it or bumping any number of dice up by 2. When someone gets 7 of a kind, that unlocks a final round where people try to top their winning set.

This version includes a giant variable setup with tons of rewards and reward conditions, including small disposable one-off bonuses, new special dice, and enough for everyone to have their own set.

The problem is that it's super easy to fall behind on dice economy, with many rewards bumping your die total by one and a couple that can bump it by 2. It's likely that your final roll might just go unchallenged, which is kind of anticlimactic.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

:whitewater:

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Good news, my cardhaus order of Keyflower arrived!

Bad news, it's Kallax time?

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Finally got to play Burgle Bros today. I think I like it, a bit heavy on the randomness with regards to the layout of the floors, but it nails the theme (:byodood:) and I never felt like the layout completely hosed over our chances.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Foehammer posted:

Good news, my cardhaus order of Keyflower arrived!

Bad news, it's Kallax time?

What did Forbidden Island do to deserve that kind of treatment?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Rutibex posted:

What did Forbidden Island do to deserve that kind of treatment?

Yeah, it should be in the trash out back.

What's a fair price to sell a (practically mint) copy of Dominion, Pandemic, Eclipse?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Yeah, it should be in the trash out back.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Is Innovation a Good Game I played half a game a few weeks ago and enjoyed it but...

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Anonymous Robot posted:

Yeah, the asymmetrical gameplay was what interested me, that and the tongue-in-cheek theme seemed like a lot of fun. I could see this being a real problem, though.

The actual gamey-puzzle part is really simple and kind of fun if you're hamming it up

BUT the simultaneous phases and what the different cards are (because the ui is garbage as mentioned above) and the few strange fiddly rules are a pain to teach when the group is in a "gently caress i don't wanna think" mindset. Which is the mindset L&D is really fun. It's like you have to have a game ahead of time just to learn it with the promise that it'll be fun later but now while your mind it up to the task, it's going to be kind of disappointing and uninteresting.

but this game did have my girlfriend look me in the eye and say in a deep fake-british accent: "Fine, I'll buy you these gloves. They'll cover up your ugly fat arms."

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Rumda posted:

Is Innovation a Good Game I played half a game a few weeks ago and enjoyed it but...
It's okay as a two-player game. With any more it gets ridiculously random, and the play time becomes overly long.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Is Keyflower + both expansions better than base Keyflower? I adore
the game, but don't really see the need to add more to it. I also don't want to miss out on the reprints of the expansions...

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Rumda posted:

I like it 2 player with someone who is familiar with it. But I suspect it's a Bad Game

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.

Please tell me there's a story behind this...

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Zveroboy posted:

Yes it's a youtube personality and a joke

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Bottom Liner posted:

the game, but don't really see the need to add more to it. I also don't want to miss out on the reprints of the expansions...

I love Keyflower and I picked up Merchants after seeing it recommended for two players so often. I think the intent with Merchants was to open up more scoring options so that it wasn't as harsh to be denied a critical resource or tile. I never thought this was a problem with Keyflower and I felt like Merchants loosened it up a little too much. Different, but not really better.

I haven't tried Farmers but now I don't plan to. Plenty of people love them both, though.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

They're pretty good, not completely necessary though. Farmers adds animals that you can raise in the fields between roads for more points, as well as expendable wheat tokens which give you transportation points. Merchants adds contracts that you can either fulfill for more points or flip for better resource flexibility.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

taser rates posted:

Farmers adds animals that you can raise in the fields between roads for more points,

Oh goddamnit that's adorable and I am about to order it. I need some filler for a Cardhaus order now. Throw some obscure games my way.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Zveroboy posted:

Yeah, the smiling guy on the left gives it away :v:

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Zveroboy posted:

He played Catan

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zveroboy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u8HQNG9k2s

This one is also pretty good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYuF3T7s7XY

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

The Supreme Court posted:

I hope before the realisation set in, you explained Rutibex's Guide to Empirical Board Game Validation with at least one standard ratio as an example.

OH NO MY GIFT IS ACTUALLY SOMEHOW CONNECTED TO RUTIBEX POSTING :gonk:

Let's hope it means good $/kg value, rather than Relic: Halls of Terra. The christmas is at stake! :ohdearsass:

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

I am so mindfucked right now.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Jedit posted:

Is that the obscure and mediocre 1975 electronic Hangman variant Codex, or the even more obscure 2010 card game Codex?

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/131111/codex-card-time-strategy

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Pax Pamir came in today and game looks great. Very economical use of space. The sides of the box are used as play-aids to help define terms used in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I'm pretty interested in this game, too, eagerly awaiting impressions