Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

They're for adding extra alpha to your alpha strike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
What's the relic banner do for SM again?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

MasterSlowPoke posted:

What's the relic banner do for SM again?

It ups the on death attack from a 4+ to 3+ activation.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Really an Ancient is a no-brainer include for just about any Marine list that has more than 300 points wrapped up in infantry based special weapons. They only cost a meager 63 points, which is basically less than 2 Hellblasters, and even in a group of 5 or 10 easily stand to net you above their point cost in additional shooting.

One part of our team tournament list is literally just 20 Hellblasters wrapped around one of these guys, because "eat plasma mother fucker".

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The Blood Angel banner is even more fun.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The Blood Angel banner is even more fun.

I was being very smug to myself about the Standard of Sacrifice when I saw his post, yes.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Any suggestions on a good approach for painting a desert scheme on vehicles? I am thinking of using the same bone approach as I do on my Marines (VMA Bonewhite, Army Painter Soft Tone, drybrush with VMA Bonewhite, finish with a drybrush of straight white) but I wonder if that's too simple.

I want something that complements my purple dudes.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Will it be clean desert camo or weathered?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

OhDearGodNo posted:

Will it be clean desert camo or weathered?

I haven't decided. I may go with clean since it's faster, better complements the Primaris color scheme, and the weathering would mostly be dust.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Has anyone bought the Pop The Monkey (or whatever it’s called) Ultramarines shoulder pad bits from Shapeways?

If so, can I buy one off you? I literally only need one and it doesn’t seem worth ordering a whole lot.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

What are some good third party razorback turrets? I just bought some rinos with forgeworld bits that I'd like to make into Razorbacks, and the normal turret is expensive enough on eBay I might as well check out other options. Wargaming Exclusive looks ok, but wondering what else is out there.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Cross posting

Zuul the Cat posted:

They see me rollin’, they hatin’

Finished up my first shield-captain.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
Lots of terrain chat a clusterfuck of pages ago ITT--but what if someone is looking for multi-floor buildings like you'll find in this video?

The wife and I want some more verticality and LOS-blocking to our games, but I can't find a decent deal on similar terrain stateside after about an hour of google.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

ineptmule posted:

Has anyone bought the Pop The Monkey (or whatever it’s called) Ultramarines shoulder pad bits from Shapeways?

If so, can I buy one off you? I literally only need one and it doesn’t seem worth ordering a whole lot.

I got a Forgeworld ultra upgrade kit I can send you a pad from, if that will do

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Lots of terrain chat a clusterfuck of pages ago ITT--but what if someone is looking for multi-floor buildings like you'll find in this video?

The wife and I want some more verticality and LOS-blocking to our games, but I can't find a decent deal on similar terrain stateside after about an hour of google.

Those all look like custom jobs made with foamcore and with card or foamcore overlays to add windows, support, and detail. Possibly lightly textured spray paint to make things less smooth.

Good news: Putting some together will be pretty cheap, and fairly easy if you're patient and have lots of spare boxcutter blades and plan things out well.

Less good news: You kinda need to make everything yourself, so not super cheap in time.

The terrain thread can probably pile you with links and such to how to do that sort of thing, and probably some patterns.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Zuul the Cat posted:

Cross posting

Man, i'm not a big fan of the Custodes, but they look a lot better with some leather gloves/boots to offset all that gold.

Great job, by the way! Especially with the black washes, very clean while still outlining detal and making things pop despite being gold-on-gold :)

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Mef989 posted:

What are some good third party razorback turrets? I just bought some rinos with forgeworld bits that I'd like to make into Razorbacks, and the normal turret is expensive enough on eBay I might as well check out other options. Wargaming Exclusive looks ok, but wondering what else is out there.

Kromlech has good ones

https://bitsofwar.com/home/498-legionary-apc-turret-twin-minigun.html

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Their quality is really high.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Immanentized posted:

I got a Forgeworld ultra upgrade kit I can send you a pad from, if that will do

Thanks, but I need the ‘symbol only’ thing that goes on top of a regular shoulder pad. Most of my Ultras have been multi-part so I’ve used the Primaris Ultra pads for them but I’m using the box set Ancient and his left shoulder is all one piece.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

I genuinely find it charming that 3rd party groups still do the cutesy fake-name winkwinks for their stuff even now that GW is less aggressive about third party enthusiast parts.

Ah yes, I shall purchase a set of BEDLAM FRATERNITY heads alongside these STYGIAN PRAETORIAN shoulderpads, thank you sir. They will come in handy when building my UNBRIGHT SERAPHIMS GALAXY SOLDIERS army.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Mar 3, 2018

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Neurolimal posted:

I genuinely find it charming that 3rd party groups still do the cutesy fake-name winkwinks for their stuff even now that GW is less aggressive about third party enthusiast parts.

Ah yes, I shall purchase a set of BEDLAM FRATERNITY heads alongside these STYGIAN PRAETORIAN shoulderpads, thank you sir. They will come in handy when building my UNBRIGHT SERAPHIMS GALAXY SOLDIERS army.

My guys are wearing tabards from the CHAOS EGYPT SONS. They look great.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Neurolimal posted:

Man, i'm not a big fan of the Custodes, but they look a lot better with some leather gloves/boots to offset all that gold.

Great job, by the way! Especially with the black washes, very clean while still outlining detal and making things pop despite being gold-on-gold :)

Thanks! Yeah, I’m a big fan of the leather as well on them, especially for fast attack options. Makes it feel like they’d have greater range of motion.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I've been working on building my Start Collecting: Astra Militarum box over the past day or two and I've gotta say it's pretty weird working on these older kits when all I've touched in almost a year are the brand-new Primaris models. The Leman Russ was pretty neat in that it was very obviously meant to be easily magnetized but there were a couple bits of the engine etc. that you just have to put on their as best you can and just sort of hope that things line up neatly. The Guardsmen kit is just generally way less flexible than I'd expected and were frequently a little bit frustrating to work on, although part of this might be because my plastic cement (Tamiya extra thin) was being unusually slow to bond.

It's an odd experience for someone that's only ever worked on Space Marines or one-off kits like Knights to go back and do the 10+ year old stuff and really makes me appreciate it a lot more when I hear people complain how much various model ranges need to be updated.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

The Cadian and Catachan plastic infantry are garbage which will never be replaced. It's especially noticeable when you put them next to their respective plastic Command Squads, which are fairly nice kits.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Why the gently caress do guys wearing power armor need gloves and boots?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Uroboros posted:

To grab things and run faster, obviously

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Uroboros posted:

If you haven't noticed these aren't your ordinary every day power armor dudes, these are extra-ordinary power armor dudes with style!

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Uroboros posted:

Cause you gotta look good while protecting the emperor. Duh.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Zuul the Cat posted:

Cross posting

Man that looks good.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
From the delta to the coast, crossin' the most, grab your 40 ounce, let's post:

The Sex Cannon posted:

Finished up some Intercessors this week:

And a Primaris Captain:

I'm very happy with how the captain turned out. Fantastic model, and tons of fun to paint.

I have one squad of Hellblasters and a Repulsor to do before Adepticon. I think I can do this!

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

The start of my “Primaris on a jetbike” experiment. Grabbed Hellblasters for the Assault bits (scope and CCO thingys) as well as the legs being separate for the multipose it’s the best way to make spread rising legs.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
I learned last night that Dark Angels Hellblasters with a Darkshroud and Azrael behind them are loving dirty against Custodian detachments.
First round of shooting melted a unit of Vertus Praetors with a combined bubble effect from a Darkshroud and the Lion Helm making his dudes real hard to kill.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

The Sex Cannon posted:

From the delta to the coast, crossin' the most, grab your 40 ounce, let's post:

I have one squad of Hellblasters and a Repulsor to do before Adepticon. I think I can do this!

That captain is money! Your raven guard look great, man.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Immanentized posted:

I learned last night that Dark Angels Hellblasters with a Darkshroud and Azrael behind them are loving dirty against Custodian detachments.
First round of shooting melted a unit of Vertus Praetors with a combined bubble effect from a Darkshroud and the Lion Helm making his dudes real hard to kill.

They are dirt against everything really. Long range shooting or a hardcore assault unit seem to be the only way to deal with them. Reavers and their anti overwatch grenades could help here.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Jesus Christ I have no idea how to deal with multiple neurothropes.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Foul Ole Ron posted:

They are dirt against everything really. Long range shooting or a hardcore assault unit seem to be the only way to deal with them. Reavers and their anti overwatch grenades could help here.

The stratagem that gives Allarus concussion grenades instead of the normal Bastillarius projectile really helped during the turn 2 counter assault. That and the stratagem to allow allarus to directly shoot at characters made the turn 2/3 attempt to turn the attack around marginally successful.

I think I'll need to include either a Vindicare or unit of scout snipers as a preemptive alpha against characters like that it'll cost me a com. point, but without that ability, bike-heavy custodians stand a huge chance of being crippled by turn 2. Note, I'm not running the bike captains supreme command detachment, but two squads of 3 bikes, a single bike captain, and a unit of terminators

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Jesus Christ I have no idea how to deal with multiple neurothropes.

Stay 18” away and put as many shots into it as possible. With a 3++ they’re great candidates for low AP high damage shots since regardless of penetrating power they’re making the same save.

Depending what faction you’re using they are a prime candidate for Death Hex if you can get it off.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Pendent posted:

I've been working on building my Start Collecting: Astra Militarum box over the past day or two and I've gotta say it's pretty weird working on these older kits when all I've touched in almost a year are the brand-new Primaris models. The Leman Russ was pretty neat in that it was very obviously meant to be easily magnetized but there were a couple bits of the engine etc. that you just have to put on their as best you can and just sort of hope that things line up neatly. The Guardsmen kit is just generally way less flexible than I'd expected and were frequently a little bit frustrating to work on, although part of this might be because my plastic cement (Tamiya extra thin) was being unusually slow to bond.

It's an odd experience for someone that's only ever worked on Space Marines or one-off kits like Knights to go back and do the 10+ year old stuff and really makes me appreciate it a lot more when I hear people complain how much various model ranges need to be updated.

I sincerely hope they don't release new Guard stuff anytime soon because then I'll have no excuse to not collect Guard.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Reavers and their anti overwatch grenades could help here.

I wish, you can't use shock grenades out of a deep strike due to range limitations so you'd only be able to do it if they were dumb enough to deploy their entire army with their back to a bit of terrain for you to hide behind for a turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Got in a rematch game against a local Blood Angels player, who I tabled on turn five last time. We both lamented that the army would be better once they got their own strats and equipment.

Tabled him top of three instead. :getin:

To be fair I made a good majority of my 4++ rolls and his Warlord jump-pack captain failed one 2+ and two 3++s on the turn he charged a fresh Tyrant, dying in the process.

Highlights included a Hive Tyrant rolling all rends with its MRC against a four-man Intercessor squad and my minion picking up as many of my Termagants during the game as she could get and sticking them to the bottom of trees based on washers to make “dinosaur trees.”