Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

ZixTheYeti
Jul 12, 2005

Hellarious!

abraham linksys posted:

eric definitely mixed up steve austin and horace hogan, understandable though

Well they’re both bald and wore vests. That kind of mistake happened all the time back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

ZixTheYeti posted:

Well they’re both bald and wore vests. That kind of mistake happened all the time back then.

Naw man, back then Austin had long blond silky hair with a clearly receding hairline. He looked way more Hogan-ish than Horace could ever dream of. Almost, sort of, kinda like he could be the Hulksters very own younger brother. Brother!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
His real name is Chilly McFreeze. Shoot with this thing, brother

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
It's not hot!

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I want to read the Death of WCW (or WWF) and Observers from the world where the 'Steve Austin: Brother of Hulk Hogan' angle happens.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

rare Magic card l00k posted:

I want to read the Death of WCW (or WWF) and Observers from the world where the 'Steve Austin: Brother of Hulk Hogan' angle happens.

If I had TEW, I'd be getting ready to document a playthrough of that.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

There's no Hulkamaniacs here! :ohdear:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Muta's fingers in the mouth thing is so weird

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Please enjoy Muta's moonsault which was one of the most protected guaranteed killshot finishers around at the time.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Please enjoy Muta's moonsault which was one of the most protected guaranteed killshot finishers around at the time.

I do enjoy that.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Sting's Muta story is hilarious. Paraphrasing, "So I go to work in Japan and I'm really excited because they tell me I'm going to go over Muta. I'm thinking, this is great! You know? I'm going to go over this guy in his hometown. So we're in the locker room and I decide to ask him, so, uh, what would you like to do for the finish? And he just says to me, Moonsault. And for a moment I'm thinking, gosh, I don't have time to learn how to do that move...... Oh. Wait. I ask him, you're going over?

'Yeah, I go over.'"

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I've hit the point where the show transitions from NWA-WCW to just WCW. It is abcompletely different shoe and tone. The camera work is all over the place.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXyRbD2NOeQ

YouTube just recommended this to me and I thought it was pretty interesting so now I’m recommending it to you. I think I saw Road Dogg wearing red trunks for like half a second and that was weird, he looks weird. Content warning?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWX_OK43qxo

Listening to this angle, about a perfectly reasonable Sid being neglected in favor of a conceited Hogan until he finally snaps, wasn't this storyline done again in WCW in 2000 or so when Hogan turned babyface?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

So Cornette become one of the writers so Stan and Bobby leave the WCW for a bit?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

So Cornette become one of the writers so Stan and Bobby leave the WCW for a bit?

Maybe just some time off? Cornette and Stan don't leave until 1990 or so after that year's Halloween Havoc.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

The Road Warriors had a specific formula of "chasing a pair of jerks and finally getting their hands on them." This worked good when it was the Horsemen or the Midnights because they'd make you think the Roadies were killing them, less so when it was teams like the Powers of Pain or the Samoan SWAT Team who were as big or bigger. It wasn't so much about Hawk and Animal's workrate or whatever but more the catharsis of seeing a pair of heels you hated get what was coming to them and you'd don't need a long match to do that. They honestly broke the southern tag team style mold and did really well at it for a long time but kept on doing when it had gotten stale against teams it wasn't good against and that was the problem. (PG-13 actually was good about it here.)

"Hawk can't sell" is Bryan just being reductive, though. He didn't need usually need to sell but would when it made sense. The problem is fans didn't particularly want to see the Road Warriors laid out because that's what they did to other people.

A huge part of the Road Warriors' appeal imo was that when they didn't have a mega bumping team to throw around like the Horsemen, they were carried heavily by Hawk's insane charisma. That "WEEEEEEEELLL" does a drat lot to set the tone for the violence you're about to see

E: a great example of this is Yokozuna vs Hogan at King of the Ring 93 for the WWF belt. Hogan looked like complete rear end even more so than usual because Yokozuna's entire gimmick in the match was eating big boots and leg drops and shrugging them off, and brother that's 80% of the Hulkster's moves right there!

E: Hawk in Eastern Championship Wrestling before it was rebranded is funny as hell, in June 1993 he cut a promo and he straight up forgot what the promotion is called and ends up calling it "Eastern.....area...wrestling?" while Heyman and the other guy try not to corpse on camera

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Nov 30, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

HonorableTB posted:

A huge part of the Road Warriors' appeal imo was that when they didn't have a mega bumping team to throw around like the Horsemen, they were carried heavily by Hawk's insane charisma. That "WEEEEEEEELLL" does a drat lot to set the tone for the violence you're about to see

Yeah, they didn't really need Ellering for mic work because Hawk was brilliantly crazy on his own. One of my favorite lines in a promo to this day is Hawk talking about the upcoming War Games. "Life is FULL of ups and downs... UP against the cage and DOWN against the mat!"

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
road warriors ruled even when vince forced them to use a ventriloquist dummy for promos

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, they didn't really need Ellering for mic work because Hawk was brilliantly crazy on his own. One of my favorite lines in a promo to this day is Hawk talking about the upcoming War Games. "Life is FULL of ups and downs... UP against the cage and DOWN against the mat!"

"WE SNACK ON DANGER AND DINE ON DEATH! AND DEAD PEOPLE DON'T MAKE MONEY!"

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I know who this is and I can't wait for 1992. Lol

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Truly stunning

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Mr Hootington posted:

I know who this is and I can't wait for 1992. Lol

like one of those guys who always appears to be leaving the room even as he greets you but its hair

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The only thing problem I had with Hawk promos is that due to the timeslot and era, he couldn't go as far as he clearly wanted to. So you have him talking about killing someone and then comparing them to sweat socks instead of a pile of poo poo or something.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

The only thing problem I had with Hawk promos is that due to the timeslot and era, he couldn't go as far as he clearly wanted to. So you have him talking about killing someone and then comparing them to sweat socks instead of a pile of poo poo or something.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ng6kpHpcfdY&pp=ygUOSGF3ayByaWMgZmxhaXI%3D

Hawk does not fear your censors.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Thank you.

Also, how do giant men float? There's a jumping shoulder block(?) from Hawk and he stays in the air way too long.

And I'm glad Animal stopped talking.

And it's always hilarious when they refer to Nassau Coliseum as "New York City"

And I forgot Paul Ellering used to look like Father Guido Sarducci.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Also, how do giant men float? There's a jumping shoulder block(?) from Hawk and he stays in the air way too long.

because of all the gas

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
If you gave Rick Steiner and Animal the same promo the only way you'd be able to tell them apart is Rick Steiner would start woofing in the middle of a sentence and then just woof away in the background for the rest of the promo time

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

road warriors ruled even when vince forced them to use a ventriloquist dummy for promos

I agree, they were my favourite tag team when I was younger. But I missed this ventriloquist dummy thing, what the hell is that all about?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I agree, they were my favourite tag team when I was younger. But I missed this ventriloquist dummy thing, what the hell is that all about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqNQQP50IVo&t=71s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01lce1lh27o&t=4s

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

They found a ventriloquist dummy at a landfill named Rocco and he managed them.

Or something

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Angry_Ed posted:

Or something

So this was Vince getting back at them for having the nerve to have wrestled in NWA and WCW before, right?

E:

"Money can't buy love, but it can pay your hospital bills, buy you a nice headstone and a nice solid oak casket" is a great wrestling promo line.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the road warriors were selling the most action figures and vince wanted to make them more family friendly

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I love reading stories about the promoters and bookers like Vince, Dusty, the Crocketts, or Gilbert. They all come up with brilliant ideas then the next week come out with the dumbest ideas imaginable.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Angry_Ed posted:

Or something

I thought he was technically “an old friend” that they found in the landfill/some rubble? Like they used to hang out with Rocco and in the day on the mean streets of Chicago.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

I love reading stories about the promoters and bookers like Vince, Dusty, the Crocketts, or Gilbert. They all come up with brilliant ideas then the next week come out with the dumbest ideas imaginable.

It makes more sense when you realize booking pro wrestling is 90% letting your inner 12 year old book whatever you thought was cool and fun as a kid

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

HonorableTB posted:

It makes more sense when you realize booking pro wrestling is 90% letting your inner 12 year old book whatever you thought was cool and fun as a kid

The other 10% is cocaine.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

The Undertaker wrestled under "Mean Mark" for the WCW in 1989 and Teddy Long was his manager?!?

Edit: oh wait this episode is from 1990. poo poo. My exclamation still stands

Edit2: I'm up to WrestleWar '89. Great Muta shpuld have been a heavyweight title contender.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 30, 2023

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

if you want to see more from mean mark you can read any post in this subforum!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

The Undertaker wrestled under "Mean Mark" for the WCW in 1989 and Teddy Long was his manager?!?

Edit: oh wait this episode is from 1990. poo poo. My exclamation still stands

Edit2: I'm up to WrestleWar '89. Great Muta shpuld have been a heavyweight title contender.

People are also starting to beg for Muta to turn face so they can cheer him but that won't happen. Still, he's one of Sting's four best opponents ever.