Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Hadlock posted:

Well I already have the 32 bit "quiet" v2 motherboard and it's super quiet I don't know what the upgrade would get me

Ah, I didn't realize the new creality boards were 32 bit, probably nothing. They were selling "upgrade" boards for a while that had nice quiet trinamic drivers but was still the same old melzi crap otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Am I going to start a fire printing with my ender 3 in an enclosure with 3 walls, power supply still attached?

Waiting on wire before I can move it externally and attach the doors

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

w00tmonger posted:

Am I going to start a fire printing with my ender 3 in an enclosure with 3 walls, power supply still attached?

Waiting on wire before I can move it externally and attach the doors

It's anecdotal but I've seen that folks just enclosing a regular printer rarely see temps in the enclosure above 30-40C which should be fine for a power supply. The main heater in there is the bed heater which will stop at whatever you set it to, while the hotend is never going to heat the entire enclosure to its temperature unless you're building something absurdly insulated which I don't think is important for a 3d printer unless you're doing very high temp materials. Those usually will require liquid cooling for the stepper motors and stuff, too, and are probably not what you're going for if you're just printing some ABS or nylon or whatever.

That said, I wouldn't leave the house with it running, make sure you have a smoke detector nearby, extinguisher rated for electrical fires, don't leave your bottle of isopropyl right next to it, etc. A little caution and preparation go a long way if there's an issue.

As an aside the Ender 3 v2 has a constant sale on creality's site. The discount seems to vary but right now it's $16 and the price is $242 so that brings it to $226:
Creality3D Official Store has Creality Ender 3 V2 3D Printer for $242 - $16 w/ discount code ZP3V2OFF16 = $226. Shipping is free.
https://www.creality3dofficial.com/collections/top-sell/products/ender-3-v2-3d-printer

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 10, 2021

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

So input shaping appears to be the next big thing?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNraKK7ukzU
Those accelerometers are dirt cheap, so it should be a cheap upgrade.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
My enders and cr-10 have worked thousands of hours fully enclosed, no power supply issues. Yes you should take those precautions.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

ImplicitAssembler posted:

So input shaping appears to be the next big thing?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNraKK7ukzU
Those accelerometers are dirt cheap, so it should be a cheap upgrade.

I was literally reading the source for using the tap detection of ADXL345s for bed probing and homing. Better than 0.01mm accuracy on both z screws and flying gantrys.

I have a few spare, I'm going to put one on an ender3 the owner is encouraging me to hot rod for the fun of it.

If it works, to the Voron it goes.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

My enders and cr-10 have worked thousands of hours fully enclosed, no power supply issues. Yes you should take those precautions.

So should I be rmconcerned about moving out the power supply then or am I really overthinking things? Obviously all the other stuff I'm making a point of and won't be leaving it running overnight etc

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I'm looking at doing the scaling up and deploying more of the Flashforge Creator Pro units that I have (one in operation, four in storage) and I'm considering the general economy and cost of PLA filament. Namely, I started with Prusament but supply is really tight and the price has gone up from whatever Prusa sells it for. Any suggestions for a mid to mid-high (if Prusament is "top tier") PLA filament brands to look into? I heard okay things about Hatchbox, dunno about Amazon's PLA house brand, but looking for recs. I still haven't gotten through my first roll of Prusament but I'm getting there since I've been printing a buncha stuff.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

w00tmonger posted:

So should I be rmconcerned about moving out the power supply then or am I really overthinking things? Obviously all the other stuff I'm making a point of and won't be leaving it running overnight etc

I moved the power supply out of mine for peace of mind. It was easy and I feel better about the arrangement whether it matters or not.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Nothing like baby's first voron to make me feel like a total noob. I am essentially complete with my V0 build which was the formbot3d kit that everyone is buying.

• Mine was short 1x M2x10 screw but came with extras on other hardware.
  • The SSR included for the bed is active high instead of low, an apparent change.
  • The included sheathed wiring is useless for the build so ensure you have a bunch of 18-20ga laying around and smaller for things like switches.
  • The bed wiring (ac 100w) is almost too thick for the tiny drag chain. I think this will be insane overkill for the tiny bed.
  • The aluminum bed plate is pre-drilled and counterbored for mounting screws but not the included thermal fuse or any grounding strap.
  • All of my extrusions were cut, drilled and tapped beautifully except for one access hole I had to drill myself.
  • The raspi I received is a 3b+ and the SKR E3 mini I received is v2. No SD card with the raspi, but the SKR came with one.
  • I am tired of V6 bullshit so I purchased a mosquito; the STLs include a toolhead for the mosquito but it's narrower than the v6/dragon so you can't use the included 3010 24v hotend fan and need to buy a 2510 24v one.
  • The SKR uses JST connections so I hope you like doing dozens of tiny crimps and getting them installed in the connectors. My kit didn't include any ferrules but did include an overkilled sized kit of JST stuff.
  • The buck converter I received for turning 24v>5v for the rpi was outputting 24v by default, glad I checked before hooking it up.
  • The USB cable for connecting SKR/Raspi is like six inches but the place you mount them necessitates a 12-18" cable so I dunno what I'm gonna do there.
  • The power jumper cable included for wiring a switch is complete garbage; buy a fused power receptacle and mount it to the back frame.
  • There are still several confusing details about the build which you can only really solve by asking in discord or watching 30 hours of Nero 3dp's archived livestreams on youtube.
  • Holy gently caress so many nuts that have to be inserted 26 pages before they get used which leads to them falling out and then you get too far in to be able to fix it without disassembling everything you just built.

I've been running enders and CR-10s for years now entirely by SD card and have a well-sorted workflow for that, but I have no familiarity with klipper, the SKR, or running a headless printer. The last time I tried doing any raspi/octoprint stuff was like 2015/16 and I hated it but I'm ready to get my heart broken again trying to get this one going.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

So this layer shifting I'm getting? What am I missing? I'm getting intermittent small shifts on my x axis. Tightened belts, levelled bed etc. Is this some slicer setting I need to change or something.

Printing 0.16 height on prusaslicer on my ender 3, pretty much stock settings from them

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

[*]Holy gently caress so many nuts that have to be inserted 26 pages before they get used which leads to them falling out and then you get too far in to be able to fix it without disassembling everything you just built.
[/list]

Doing any extrusion stuff, it's totally worth spending $10 on a big bag of spring loaded roll-in nuts. Not as infuriating as hammer/drop-in nuts and just as strong as slide-in nuts. Cost more, but it saves insanely irritating moments like realizing you have slide-in nuts in the wrong place. And they stay where you put them!

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

aldantefax posted:

I'm looking at doing the scaling up and deploying more of the Flashforge Creator Pro units that I have (one in operation, four in storage) and I'm considering the general economy and cost of PLA filament. Namely, I started with Prusament but supply is really tight and the price has gone up from whatever Prusa sells it for. Any suggestions for a mid to mid-high (if Prusament is "top tier") PLA filament brands to look into? I heard okay things about Hatchbox, dunno about Amazon's PLA house brand, but looking for recs. I still haven't gotten through my first roll of Prusament but I'm getting there since I've been printing a buncha stuff.

I've been printing a few spools worth of Sunlu in various flavors of PLA, PLA+, and Silk PLA from amazon and it's gone pretty well.
I have killed:
one black
one silk rainbow
one non-silk rainbow

I have loaded:
one nocilucent
one white, with another white still in the bag.

I have a grey from a different vendor and i'm not sure how it's going to go.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 11, 2021

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Hypnolobster posted:

Doing any extrusion stuff, it's totally worth spending $10 on a big bag of spring loaded roll-in nuts. Not as infuriating as hammer/drop-in nuts and just as strong as slide-in nuts. Cost more, but it saves insanely irritating moments like realizing you have slide-in nuts in the wrong place. And they stay where you put them!

100% but the V0 uses 1515 extrusions and the only pack I could get on amazon of drop-in 1515 M3 nuts was still too fuckin big to actually drop in.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

aldantefax posted:

What are you going to be printing? For curved surfaces and organic shapes, the SainSmart Silk series will give you unbelievably smooth prints but it comes in very bright colors and is really shiny.

My go-to for everything else if I don’t feel like paying out the butt for Prusament is Matter Hackers Build PLA. It works a charm and if you buy in bulk you can get the cost down to like $16 a spool and also get free shipping.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Got a strange issue. My prints are coming in fine on the back half of the plate, but anything on the front of it fails.

These are all similarly-sized models with the same slice settings. This has happened with the last three prints.
I've leveled the bed and even checked the printer with a literal level while it was running to see if it was wobbling but everything seemed ok and the issue persists. Any ideas?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

snail posted:

I was literally reading the source for using the tap detection of ADXL345s for bed probing and homing. Better than 0.01mm accuracy on both z screws and flying gantrys.

I have a few spare, I'm going to put one on an ender3 the owner is encouraging me to hot rod for the fun of it.

If it works, to the Voron it goes.

I had the smart effector on my Rostock, which also used the nozzle to probe, but I found that any kind of oozing from the nozzle woudl throw it off.
My BLV Cube was originally built with an IR probe, but that struggled on textured beds.
I still think Bltouch is the best solution.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Springfield Fatts posted:

Got a strange issue. My prints are coming in fine on the back half of the plate, but anything on the front of it fails.

These are all similarly-sized models with the same slice settings. This has happened with the last three prints.
I've leveled the bed and even checked the printer with a literal level while it was running to see if it was wobbling but everything seemed ok and the issue persists. Any ideas?

If you put a sheet of paper on the lcd and lower the build plate to zero (remove the vat and clean the plate), can you pull the paper out?

If you can, it's not leveled correctly. You shouldn't be able to. Fails on one side of the plate are either leveling, or your LCD is failing in that spot. However, failing LCD usually just leaves holes.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Oh so you shouldn't be able to pull the paper out? I thought it was able to pull with some drag. drat ok I'll level again with it slightly lower.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Springfield Fatts posted:

Oh so you shouldn't be able to pull the paper out? I thought it was able to pull with some drag. drat ok I'll level again with it slightly lower.

Should JUST barely be able to pull the paper out

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

w00tmonger posted:

So this layer shifting I'm getting? What am I missing? I'm getting intermittent small shifts on my x axis. Tightened belts, levelled bed etc. Is this some slicer setting I need to change or something.

Printing 0.16 height on prusaslicer on my ender 3, pretty much stock settings from them

That's a little weird, might be worth double checking square on the axes (x especially) and making sure the hotend can't wiggle. Could be a loose bolt or eccentric nut on one of the wheels.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

w00tmonger posted:

Looks like what happened when my hot end was loose. Slight random shift back and forth within a limited range.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Should have said something....

I was short 20+ m3x6 BHCS screws.

They did update the SSR, which is good.

You need to strip the cover off the bed wiring, the inner wires fit fine.

I don't understand why you'd want a ground strap on the bed.... The thermal fuse is best glued to the bed using silicone.

Those generic adjustable regulators do need to be set. I blew up the reciever on my 1s r/c car becuase I didn't check first......

The fact the design doesn't default to switched plug on the base is... abusive. There's at least three options for C14 plugs to add to the V0. I chose the "in the skirt" model.

To say there's "several" confusing details is... an understatement at best. I'll have a complete list when I'm done building mine.

The t-nuts are a thing.... I've been trying to figure out the best way to figure out how to install those nicely. I'm thinking.. some yarn in the groove first? If you use the "real deal" t-nuts, it goes a lot better.

................. This is essentially a prototype printer. V0.1 is in the near future.

Nothing like baby's first voron to make me feel like a total noob. I am essentially complete with my V0 build which was the formbot3d kit that everyone is buying.

• The SSR included for the bed is active high instead of low, an apparent change.
  • The included sheathed wiring is useless for the build so ensure you have a bunch of 18-20ga laying around and smaller for things like switches.
  • The bed wiring (ac 100w) is almost too thick for the tiny drag chain. I think this will be insane overkill for the tiny bed.
  • The aluminum bed plate is pre-drilled and counterbored for mounting screws but not the included thermal fuse or any grounding strap.
  • All of my extrusions were cut, drilled and tapped beautifully except for one access hole I had to drill myself.
  • The raspi I received is a 3b+ and the SKR E3 mini I received is v2. No SD card with the raspi, but the SKR came with one.
  • I am tired of V6 bullshit so I purchased a mosquito; the STLs include a toolhead for the mosquito but it's narrower than the v6/dragon so you can't use the included 3010 24v hotend fan and need to buy a 2510 24v one.
  • The SKR uses JST connections so I hope you like doing dozens of tiny crimps and getting them installed in the connectors. My kit didn't include any ferrules but did include an overkilled sized kit of JST stuff.
  • The buck converter I received for turning 24v>5v for the rpi was outputting 24v by default, glad I checked before hooking it up.
  • The USB cable for connecting SKR/Raspi is like six inches but the place you mount them necessitates a 12-18" cable so I dunno what I'm gonna do there.
  • The power jumper cable included for wiring a switch is complete garbage; buy a fused power receptacle and mount it to the back frame.
  • There are still several confusing details about the build which you can only really solve by asking in discord or watching 30 hours of Nero 3dp's archived livestreams on youtube.
  • Holy gently caress so many nuts that have to be inserted 26 pages before they get used which leads to them falling out and then you get too far in to be able to fix it without disassembling everything you just built.

I've been running enders and CR-10s for years now entirely by SD card and have a well-sorted workflow for that, but I have no familiarity with klipper, the SKR, or running a headless printer. The last time I tried doing any raspi/octoprint stuff was like 2015/16 and I hated it but I'm ready to get my heart broken again trying to get this one going.

60 Hertz Jig
May 21, 2006

--

I just installed Klipper on my Ender 3 v2, with Raspberry Pi/Octoprint/OctoKlipper plugin. Was using stock Marlin firmware before. The install was super easy using this guide (although I'm not using BLTouch and can't vouch for that). https://www.reddit.com/r/klippers/comments/kj2h5r/stepbystep_guide_for_ender_3_v2_klipper_w_bltouch/.
I bet it's similar for a Voron.

Most Enders apparently cheaped out on the stepper drivers and can't run Marlin's Linear Advance. This led me to trying Klipper which has Pressure Advance (a software based approach). It was incredibly easy to tune and my prints went from having some ugly over/under extrusion in corners and transitions, to very pretty prints.

See if there are any guides for the Voron & Klipper. It's made my printing far more enjoyable.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Nerobro and I have both been quite public about building a V0, why did you do it in secret :stonk:

* You can power the Pi via the SKR's 5v rail and skip the DC-DC.
* Absolutely strip the outer insulation off the silicone pad

quote:

I am tired of V6 bullshit so I purchased a mosquito; the STLs include a toolhead for the mosquito but it's narrower than the v6/dragon so you can't use the included 3010 24v hotend fan and need to buy a 2510 24v one.
well that's kinda on you ... the toolhead is really tiny and the Mosquito isn't. You're also likely to melt the fan ducts.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I've got an issue on my past couples prints, models are sticking to the FEP instead of the build plate in one corner. Leveling issue?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

w00tmonger posted:

Should JUST barely be able to pull the paper out

Yeah, this is hard to explain in text just like leveling an FDM printer.

The way I do it is to get the build plate down onto the paper to a tightness that if I pull the paper, the machine slides with it. If I held the printer with one hand, I could drag it out from the build plate with effort. I agree it shouldn't be so low that you can't pull the paper at all without ripping it (although if I can't get an in-between, I err on the side of tighter). You also don't want to make it so low that you crack the LCD, so go slowly and in only .01 increments while testing.

But it should *not* be so loose that you could slide it back and forth with some drag like an FDM printer.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I had the smart effector on my Rostock, which also used the nozzle to probe, but I found that any kind of oozing from the nozzle woudl throw it off.
My BLV Cube was originally built with an IR probe, but that struggled on textured beds.
I still think Bltouch is the best solution.

Purge bucket and wire brush, nozzle stays clean. The BLtouch will be my fall back I think, but it's easy enough to clean off a nozzle prior to a homing.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
For my resin printers, I use the paper they give you as the leveling paper, loosen the nuts (mars and saturn so there's just 1 screw held in place by 2 nuts) and hit the level button, then when it gets all the way down and levels and beeps, just press down on 3 or 4 sides by using one hand, and tighten the nuts up at the same time. Hasn't failed me yet.

Obviously DO NOT LEVEL like this in the vat.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Once again thanks for the advice, I lowered the plate by a few .mm and now I'm getting full prints.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Nerobro posted:

Should have said something....

................. This is essentially a prototype printer. V0.1 is in the near future.

I’ve not run an AC bed before, I have just seen traffic online of people saying to ground the bed and frame. Another thing I figured out this weekend during software setup is the distro’d guide is out of date vs the Voron docs site which led to me making some wacky guesses on SSR wiring and Klipper config settings until I was pointed in the right direction on discord.

It’s a very cool prototype! I got through octoprint, klipper, and homing setup so far. It was so satisfying to see the thing moving properly! Hotend heats and spins fine but I need to sort out my part cooling fan and bed heat which are probably down to my lovely wiring.

insta posted:

Nerobro and I have both been quite public about building a V0, why did you do it in secret :stonk:

* You can power the Pi via the SKR's 5v rail and skip the DC-DC.
* Absolutely strip the outer insulation off the silicone pad
well that's kinda on you ... the toolhead is really tiny and the Mosquito isn't. You're also likely to melt the fan ducts.

The last V0 chat I saw was like 20 pages ago so it didn’t even occur to me, haha.

The tool head thing is 100% on me. Why would the mosquito be more prone to melting the fan ducts? They seem similar proximity to the other hotends. Just the smaller fan output?

So much of the early chatter I saw (online) was worries about leadscrew issues, but my bed seems to be zooming up and down without any wobbles. I think I’ve disassembled the bed and rebuilt it like five times so far; I wanted to reprint the mounting parts with more walls which worked out well, and I was able to successfully remove (and reinstall) the bed without taking the printer apart by dismounting the leadscrew nut and the z linear rails. I need to get some filament through the pocket watch to make sure that path is working.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I've got... my wiring about 50% done. All the steppers are routed, I have the hot end quick disconnect wired, I have the USB power for the Pi...

Mechanically I'm done, except maybe for swapping out the Idlers for the 623 bearings I got in the mail. Speaking of which, buy 8 extra 623 bearings, unless you want to deal with that later.

I don't understand grounding the bed to the frame.... Unless something else is ~very wrong~ it wont' be live. Also, the frame isn't grounded, so you're grounding to... make the whole frame live instead of just the bed if the heat pad fails? It's nonsense.

There's a lot of "I don't understand" going on, in the V0.
The build order is not entirely correct.
The "attach the cable chain" step is completely missing from the manual.
Warnings about t-nuts falling out are not there for the bed.
Measurements for "where things should be" don't show up until MUCH later, and MUCH harder places to deal with them.
There's no mention of the rail alignment clips.
There's no way to tension the Z motor belt once it's assembled.
There's not enough mention of the correct Z drive bracket. (none, IIRC..)
There's no mention of screw clearance for the Z stop switch.
There's no method for accessing the tension screw on the pocketwatch without removing the back.
There's no fixing for the input end of the filament. (Solved with printed piece)
There's no notes on how the input of filament should be done.
There's no C14 plug. (solved with printed piece)
The printer depends on... nothing... for LIVE POWER WIRES having strain relief. Which seems odd, because the bed has a temperature fuse.
There's no guidance for how to attach the bed temp fuse.
The printer has no practical wiring guide.
The printer generally comes out to less than the 120mm spec.. (I'm seeing 118, 117mm usually)
There's no blockoff panel between the hot area, and the stepper/electronics area. (Solved with printed piece)

Among, other gripes.

I went into this build under the impression that it was a "complete project". And it's not. It's a "pretty good motion system" with a whole lot of grey area around the edges. Way more than I'd probally publish. Heh.

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 12, 2021

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

snail posted:

Purge bucket and wire brush, nozzle stays clean. The BLtouch will be my fall back I think, but it's easy enough to clean off a nozzle prior to a homing.

Right..but with the BLtouch I don't have to do anything. Press print and off you go.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If I have like, three spare raspberry pi nearby, and an unused webcam is it worth spending more than 30 minutes getting octoprint setup, especially since I work from home now and the printer lives reaching distance from my desk

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Hadlock posted:

If I have like, three spare raspberry pi nearby, and an unused webcam is it worth spending more than 30 minutes getting octoprint setup, especially since I work from home now and the printer lives reaching distance from my desk

The time-lapse function is pretty cool

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Anyone familiar with klipper that could tell me if/why I should beef up my ender 3 to use it?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

mattfl posted:

The time-lapse function is pretty cool

Is that how everyone is doing the time lapse where the print head is in the exact same spot in every frame

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

It was surprisingly easy to set up last weekend. (~Half a day to get both octoprint and klipper running)
Drag and drop printing is nice.
Not having to keep futzing with the sd card for every print.
Putting repeat stuff/test prints into a subfolder makes post change dial in so much easier (bed level, benchy, etc)
Partially automated bed levelling was sweet.
Webcam support is fun.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

w00tmonger posted:

Anyone familiar with klipper that could tell me if/why I should beef up my ender 3 to use it?

If your printer is fine. No.

BUT, here's what's cool with Kilpper:

Input shaping. Between a $5 accelerometer and three minutes of work, you can eliminate all ringing from your printing.
Linear, true pressure advance. This stops "things" happening at the start, and stop of layers, or lines. This also helps corner shapes.
Never be limited by steps per second again. Klipper can do enough steps per second to run a delta FAST. And with a catesian, it's damned near sleeping.
Update and change settings without writing new firmware.
A good, easy, stable web interface.

............ So there's good reason. If you're printing at "normal" ender speeds? eh, you probally don't need it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Be nice if someone would link or post a write-up for how to set that up whenever it comes up.