Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Got to crouch down and let them come to you on their terms. Bayek will give them a stroke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Push El Burrito posted:

Origins is hosed up in that it's Egypt so there's cats all over and they will follow you sometimes but there's no button to pet them I have found.

You can, though, kill them. Found that out the hard way with an errant swing. :(

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

OutOfPrint posted:

You can, though, kill them. Found that out the hard way with an errant swing. :(

That's an instant revert, no exceptions

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
DESYNC: KENWAY WASN'T A MONSTER

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable

FactsAreUseless posted:

A good example is how they made levels that big. In order to make them run on a year 2000 computer, they had to make textures incredibly simple. But they used the simple textures, lots of empty dark space, etc. to create the atmosphere.

Yeah Deus Ex's potato faces and lovely textures are noticeable, there's no getting around it, but in a way the badness adds to the dystopian atmosphere alongside the empty space and shadows, in my opinion. The augmented people seem freakier because the bad textures also leave quite a bit to the imagination, and I thought Gunther's face was just a really creepy helmet until I looked closer and holy poo poo that's his face.

That being said I'm learning the prod+baton combo is nice when I can't get a clean stealth takedown, and the GEP is a handy tool for clearing out stuff I don't want to burn a lockpick/multitool with. I don't think I've managed to replicate an instant tranq with a headshot, though.

Pooncha has a new favorite as of 21:58 on Oct 11, 2018

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Safeword posted:

Something I had pointed out to me by another goon - in Odyssey, sinking another ship during naval combat creates an actual, physical wreck on the sea bed you can swim down to, and loot anything you may have "lost" by not boarding the ship above water.

Mario for the Switch is a lot more intense than I remember. They must have added that in a recent update.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

OutOfPrint posted:

I had always assumed the dogs in The Division were afforded the same invulnerability as the human civilians (shooting a civvy makes them panic and run away screaming like they’re being shot at, but the bullets pass through them), so I wasn’t as careful as I should have been once when I was shooting at a bad guy while a dog milled around between us and found out that they aren’t invincible the hard way :(

I screamed “gently caress!! No!!” at my TV and had to play something else for a while

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
In Origins, I can walk up to a group of three Greek soldiers and kill them one by one and it's fine. I can brutally savage a guy's balls with that one blunt weapon finisher, you know the one, and not bat an eye. But, dammit, I'll remember killing that cat for the rest of my life.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Killing a cat in ancient Egypt got you the death penalty.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Byzantine posted:

harsh but fair

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Byzantine posted:

As it should be.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Byzantine posted:

Can't argue with that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like that the original Deus Ex doesn't judge you for how you choose to play unless you're on a mission that requires stealth. It's a very clunky game to actually play, but it's cool that there are reactions to pretty much every way you can resolve a mission, and hardly ever do you get that 'knowing' finger-wag that says you did it wrong should you opt to say screw the stealth. Deus Ex HR, by comparison, gives you that drat "you did it Jensen good job! .....but you didn't do perfect stealth :smug:" every time and it grates a little.

edit: And that's not a dig at the new Deus Ex series specifically, it's a trend that is recurring through most freeform play stealth games. They give you tons of tools at your disposal but pressure you to limit your arsenal to only the silent, stealthy, and non-lethal options under the threat of less EXP or available quests in the long run. I'm looking at you here, Dishonored (not even to speak of the ending, because that part I actually don't mind much).

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 02:52 on Oct 12, 2018

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Byzantine posted:

Anecdotally, after a Persian king beat an Egyptian army, he taunted the prisoners by throwing cats at them.

Truly history's greatest monster

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Don Gato posted:

Anecdotally, after a Persian king beat an Egyptian army, he taunted the prisoners by throwing cats at them.

Truly history's greatest monster

i think you have a bias, mister

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

CJacobs posted:

I like that the original Deus Ex doesn't judge you for how you choose to play unless you're on a mission that requires stealth. It's a very clunky game to actually play, but it's cool that there are reactions to pretty much every way you can resolve a mission, and hardly ever do you get that 'knowing' finger-wag that says you did it wrong should you opt to say screw the stealth. Deus Ex HR, by comparison, gives you that drat "you did it Jensen good job! .....but you didn't do perfect stealth :smug:" every time and it grates a little.

edit: And that's not a dig at the new Deus Ex series specifically, it's a trend that is recurring through most freeform play stealth games. They give you tons of tools at your disposal but pressure you to limit your arsenal to only the silent, stealthy, and non-lethal options under the threat of less EXP or available quests in the long run. I'm looking at you here, Dishonored (not even to speak of the ending, because that part I actually don't mind much).

You kinda get chastised in the very first mission if you decide to go on a rampage. I think there were other spots where you could take less humanized solutions and get called for it but can't remember any right now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The first mission is because it's a hostage situation and Jensen is an ex-SWAT officer. He should know full-well that going in guns blazing could get the hostages dead.

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The first mission is because it's a hostage situation and Jensen is an ex-SWAT officer. He should know full-well that going in guns blazing could get the hostages dead.

Paul reacts differently if you kill your way through the island and Tech sergeant Kaplan gives you poo poo if you just KO them (or just unleash Gunther on em.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I guess in my mind the difference is that in the original Deus Ex you get chewed out by Manderly for going all Rambo on the insurgents and their leader, but that's all that happens. The game acknowledges that you did it your way, JC defends his actions (or not), and it feels totally natural. To me it feels like exchanges like that have evolved in the wrong direction as games as a medium have moved forward- a stealth game expects you to play it stealthily, so if you don't stealth, you did it wrong no matter what. Being loud and guns blazing is still a way you can play, but it's not the way the game wants you to play and so it's no longer seen as a proper solution. If you do something the loud way, it's automatically assumed to be because you suck at stealth. But imo it's not fair to give you the tools and then portray you as a bumbling screw up if you make use of them.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Samuringa posted:

You kinda get chastised in the very first mission if you decide to go on a rampage. I think there were other spots where you could take less humanized solutions and get called for it but can't remember any right now.

Paul is a sympathizer so there's multiple plot reasons why you might not want to kill these goons.

Past the first mission the plot doesn't really care. In fact in the very next mission one of the NPCs will actually praise you for wantonly slaughtering your way through the opposition.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Deus Ex feels less like the game telling you you're playing wrong and more like characters having different opinions about JC killing people. Then it encourages the player to decide for themselves what they want to do.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

CJacobs posted:

Yeah this has been something that's always gnawed at me w/r/t stealth games. It's a big design snarl caused by non-lethal being a thing, morality systems being a thing, and the wide variety of mostly-binary fail states those games tend to have. I really wish more games said gently caress it and leaned into the thwip thwip silenced pistol lethal stealth style. Or like you said, just let it be a story and character thing instead of a system looming over everything.

Another problem is that once you start getting into more elaborate stealthing, the player ends up experiencing only small fragments of the map. Having played a bunch of HR recently, there's a number of areas where huge swaths of the map are just best avoided (and sometimes are functionally hard coded to not be approachable in stealth). Which on the one hand it can feel satisfying to glide through the map super efficiently without any trace of your presence, and can also feed into the whole "never see the whole game in one playthrough" angle that most immersive sims shoot for, but it also feels at odds with the packrat explorer mentality those games also reward.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

If you kill too much in the first mission of dx then Kaplan will refuse to give you ammo for the next mission, but it might just be if the hostages die. You get paid less money, too, but the whole process really does feel natural and the game lets you proceed as normal.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

BioEnchanted posted:

I got a rather cute children's game earlier on a whim because it was about £1, Noddy and the Magic Book on PS2.

It manages to avoid a pitfall that a lot of children's games fall into, that of treating it's audience like idiots. As the game goes on the minigames are set to higher difficulties so it has a decent difficulty curve, and you can replay the minigames at any difficulty too to set high scores.

The structure is very open world, where you select a mission (often but not always involving one or more minigames) and drive to it to advance the story, which is fairly charming and comes together in a really cute way, and there is a decent amount of attention to detail at times as well. Also the controls are really tight so it plays well. It's also really colourful but that goes without saying as it's Noddy.

I'm expecting you to somehow manage to get your hands on an original version of Pong at this rate.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
As a blind player I've had to kill a few dudes already, and I'm happy that 1) I'm not arbitrarily punished for having to use lethal force because I'm not :smug: enough, and 2) I get reactions but it feels more like the NPCs having their takes on it. Boss is fine with the occasional "collateral", the Russians are delighted (despite the fact that the game thinks I slaughtered Castle Clinton when the vast majority of deaths were from them), and the quartermaster is pissed at me by the second visit to HQ and just plops a bunch of multitools while telling me to rein in the bloodthirst, but y'know, it's his opinion and the game won't judge me for it.

The missions are amazingly huge, though. It reminds me of Fire Emblem 4's system of "few but huge missions" rather than small bite-sized things. It can be a slog sometimes and missions have taken multiple days to work through, but it really hammers in the sense of scale and helps enable all the options you can take.

Pooncha has a new favorite as of 06:50 on Oct 12, 2018

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Pooncha posted:

As a blind player I've had to kill a few dudes already, and I'm happy that 1) I'm not arbitrarily punished for having to use lethal force because I'm not :smug: enough, and 2) I get reactions but it feels more like the NPCs having their takes on it. Boss is fine with the occasional "collateral", the Russians are delighted (despite the fact that the game thinks I slaughtered Castle Clinton when the vast majority of deaths were from them), and the quartermaster is pissed at me by the second visit to HQ and just plops a bunch of multitools while telling me to rein in the bloodthirst, but y'know, it's his opinion and the game won't judge me for it.

The missions are amazingly huge, though. It reminds me of Fire Emblem 4's system of "few but huge missions" rather than small bite-sized things. It can be a slog sometimes and missions have taken multiple days to work through, but it really hammers in the sense of scale.

Man, I didn't know they'd come out with Braille controllers

Are you good at pinball too?

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Username checks out.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Foxfire_ posted:

Deus Ex feels less like the game telling you you're playing wrong and more like characters having different opinions about JC killing people. Then it encourages the player to decide for themselves what they want to do.

Some people are very bad at separating what the "game" is telling you, versus what a character in the game is telling you. Then again, its the same issue with other mediums, and the creators often are bad about sorting out the two concepts.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Screaming Idiot posted:

Are you good at pinball too?

He can hear and speak perfectly well. Ergo: He is shite at pinball.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
The original Deus Ex gives you XP for two things: Story progress and exploration. Also the skill system and the aug system is separate.

This makes a big difference in how you approach the game. In the newer games, the objectively best approach is to do stealth, nonlethal and never seen approach. This rewards you with the most XP and there are achievements for this too. It's also the hardest way of doing stuff so it makes sense they'd reward it the most. But it misses the point of why I replayed the original so many times.

The original was all about that exploration, and due to hardware limitations they could spend more time on making the levels complex and full of nooks and crannies, rather than spending so much time on making the levels believable and realistic. There are just so many neat things the game doesn't tell you about. Also the enemies are blind and braindead which gives you more opportunities to gently caress around and have fun. I'd sneak into Area 51 by throwing candy bars around on the hardest difficulty. Of course that would take many quickloads because you can get bodied from across the map with one shot once spotted.

It's really a product of it's time that you'd have a hard time selling nowadays outside the indie market, and that makes it so much more valuable and replayable to me. There's so much emergent gameplay in there while the later DX games are much more curated experiences.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hitman 2016 leans so hard into the "you have to do this 100% perfect stealth, only kill your target" with its scoring system that it wraps around into being part of the enjoyment of the game to go "ah, a score of 0 because I killed 57 people, excellent"

It never scolds you for breaking stealth, or killing 100+ people, all it does it mark "non-target person killed" and remove score and that's it, I appreciate that. The levels are built so you can do them however you want, and sometimes you just need a battle-axe and 50000 dead guards.

...and I appreciate that 47's so fragile that you can't reliably go rambo without some proper planning and forethought! It's a good game. :D

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Little thing I noticed in AC Odyssey this morning: If you're near a secret room that's behind a breakable wall, you can hear the wind rustling where you stand.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
I've been replaying Bleach: The 3rd Phantom on the DS and I really enjoy all the animations, especially when your characters use their Bankai. Plus it's just a really fun tactics clone involving one of the only anime shows that I like.

I forgot how much I enjoyed playing this game.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Foxfire_ posted:

Also in Deus Ex the guns-blazing/predator style was still something of a challenge. Even if you wanted to murder all the fools you still had to take some time to prepare and plan your attack.

Compared to something like Dishonored, where you can happily power-slide in, slice peoples feet off, teleport to the roof, plunge attack, freeze-time and then drop a grenade at their feet without taking a scratch. It's awesome but far too easy, and it makes the stealth feel like more of a self-imposed challenge.

Cranking the difficulty up helps, but then it kinda turns into rocket-tag.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Has there been a game with stealth/rambo options, where the rambo options guy is presented more like a rational individual, who is more"Look people are going to get hurt, this is war. And we can't risk lives trying to be a ninja." and less "HURF KILL EM ALL gently caress THOSE GUYS THEYRE SUBHUMAN LET GOD SORT EM OUT"

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Morpheus posted:

Has there been a game with stealth/rambo options, where the rambo options guy is presented more like a rational individual, who is more"Look people are going to get hurt, this is war. And we can't risk lives trying to be a ninja." and less "HURF KILL EM ALL gently caress THOSE GUYS THEYRE SUBHUMAN LET GOD SORT EM OUT"

Prey, kinda!

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Morpheus posted:

MGS5, kinda!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Vic posted:

MGS5, kinda!

The best part is you could be referring to like, three different characters' outlooks this way and they all work.

God, MGS5 is a painfully good game.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Morpheus posted:

Undertale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Cleretic posted:

The best part is you could be referring to like, three different characters' outlooks this way and they all work.

God, MGS5 is a painfully good game.

I really feel for the people who got turned off by the unfinished parts and couldn't enjoy the game very much for what it is. The way they made the story and characters work around anything you chose to do in that game is great on multiple levels.

I especially like the part where the complete shithead Huey calls them out on their doublethink and even points out "You keep calling him a dog, but he's clearly a wolf"