Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

The new pilot's look fun and maybe pattern analyzer has some legs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Braylen (the action one) with M9G8 and Weapons Engineer for Rebel Howlrunner?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Otisburg posted:

The new pilot's look fun and maybe pattern analyzer has some legs?

That and Primed Thrusters both.

Snap Shot is getting nicer the more I look at it, it comboes impressively well with Nien and R3A2, or with R3A2 and Tactician on an ARC.

I doubt it'll ever do damage, but as something which triggers 'after attacking' stuff it might have legs.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Patenting rice bubble swarm. Snap crack a wings.

Snap is only two dice, but the defender has no tokens either!

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Snap Shot will be made or broken based on the timing of it. If it triggers before the perform actions step, it will be loving amazing for 2 points. If it triggers after tokens go up, it's DOA.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Strobe posted:

Snap Shot will be made or broken based on the timing of it. If it triggers before the perform actions step, it will be loving amazing for 2 points. If it triggers after tokens go up, it's DOA.

It does. Perform action is after execute manoeuvre has completed.

It still sucks, because it's doing an average of a single hit. Which is ignorable to most ships even before their actions, unless you have a stressbot. No tactician, of course, because it's range 1. No Gunner or IGB, because it blocks further attacks.

Unless you have something that triggers off an attack, I don't think it's worth the slot over e.g. Predator.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Snap shot is only range 1 so it won't work with Technician.

I think at 2 points and taking EPT it's not a viable choice, though it may have a combo with R3A2. It's just too easy to stay out of range 1 front arc of a small ship.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

thespaceinvader posted:

It does. Perform action is after execute manoeuvre has completed.

It still sucks, because it's doing an average of a single hit. Which is ignorable to most ships even before their actions, unless you have a stressbot. No tactician, of course, because it's range 1. No Gunner or IGB, because it blocks further attacks.

Unless you have something that triggers off an attack, I don't think it's worth the slot over e.g. Predator.

Average of one hit is enough to (on average) get through 2 greens, and matches up just barely less than 50-50 against unmodified greens.

On Wedge it's enough to get through 3 greens reliably.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The ships you want to use snap shot on still have 3 agility and a free palpatine reroll so it seems DOA already. At least all the other guaranteed damage tricks don't waste your attack or cannot be evaded like autoblaster.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Chill la Chill posted:

The ships you want to use snap shot on still have 3 agility and a free palpatine reroll so it seems DOA already. At least all the other guaranteed damage tricks don't waste your attack or cannot be evaded like autoblaster.

Snap Shot doesn't "waste your attack" either.

You can't attack again "this phase", which refers to the activation phase. So it's basically a free attack.

It's not great, but I think it'll have legs on generics. Green Squadrons will probably love this thing.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Chill la Chill posted:

Yep, they won't even have to worry about dodging snap shot.

Not allowing dice modification is just baffling.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Chill la Chill posted:

If you have to burn Palpatine on a free 2 dice attack in the movement phase that I got for 2 points then sign me the gently caress up.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Snap Shot will at least make them possibly waste that Palp reroll in the activation phase, which is good IMO.

I wanna put this on Green Squadron A-wings for some reason.

e: goddammit beaten terribly on both counts :(

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

You can't attack again "this phase", which refers to the activation phase. So it's basically a free attack.

It's not great, but I think it'll have legs on generics. Green Squadrons will probably love this thing.

It's not free, it costs 2 points and an EPT. Always remember the opportunity cost.

Agreed on the green squads though. And probably the snap shot howl swarm, though... if you joust into range 1 of a TIE swarm, you loving deserve to explode ignominiously.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

alg posted:

Yep, they won't even have to worry about dodging snap shot.

Not allowing dice modification is just baffling.

Not really, there's a lot of "add result" effects out there, not to mention accuracy corrector. I think you can get 3 dice with Jan ors, but for now I think it's fun for stressbot, maybe others.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

This thread: Waaaah waaah Palpatine is broken!

FFG: Here have some ways to make people waste Palp.

This thread: Waaaah waaah this new stuff is useless against Palp

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

hoiyes posted:

Not really, there's a lot of "add result" effects out there, not to mention accuracy corrector. I think you can get 3 dice with Jan ors, but for now I think it's fun for stressbot, maybe others.

ADDING RESULTS IS A DICE MODIFICATION.

Imagine that in big flashing letters forever.

Dice modification is:

Rerolling
Changing results
Adding results

AC works, but only the first half, so you can use it to guarantee a miss I guess.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

hoiyes posted:

Sure, but costing 2 pts and taking the EPT slot is a huge sacrifice to make for 2 unmodified dice.

Edit: lol putting my guys out at range 1 of enemy aces without an EPT and down 2 pts to make them possibly waste Palp is a win, according to this thread.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Snap shot's wording is to prevent gunner from triggering off of it, not to prevent your normal shot.

It's an interesting card. I like it.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
They could have just said "you cannot add dice or results to your roll" and it would have been totally fine. Instead we can't use TLs or focuses, either, which is annoying.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

thespaceinvader posted:

Imagine that in big flashing letters forever.

Dice modification is:

Rerolling
Changing results
Adding results

AC works, but only the first half, so you can use it to guarantee a miss I guess.

Adding RESULTS is dice modification. Adding another die that you roll (Jan Ors) is not. Removing a die (Wedge) also is not modification. Nor is canceling a result (Crack Shot)

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Strobe posted:

They could have just said "you cannot add dice or results to your roll" and it would have been totally fine. Instead we can't use TLs or focuses, either, which is annoying.

I think that would've made it a bit over the top.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Adding DICE otoh, does work. So Opportunist is funny with this, except that's only possible on A Wings... Indeed, I think Jan pilot and Opportunist A wings are the only way to do it.

E: except the named TIE pilots, mauler, scourge, backstabber.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 19, 2016

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

Adding RESULTS is dice modification. Adding another die that you roll (Jan Ors) is not. Removing a die (Wedge) also is not modification. Nor is canceling a result (Crack Shot)

Putting this on a high PS pilot seems unwise? If they're doing their manoeuvre before you they're highly unlikely to end it in your arc, if they're doing it after you there aren;t that many of them... Chances of wasting it seem high on a high PS guy.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

ConfusedUs posted:

It wastes the attack in that the ship that's attacking will most likely not get another attack while moving for that range 1 in-arc slot. Either through getting shot first if soontir/ink decides to do a heads-up joust or moving out of the way. I mean, the only time it gets you anything is if you get the shot off before getting killed by the ace at range 1. I don't think 2 points is worth that.

ConfusedUs posted:

This thread: Waaaah waaah Palpatine is broken!

FFG: Here have some ways to make people waste Palp.

This thread: Waaaah waaah this new stuff is useless against Palp
Running over a rock wastes palp too and that comes free with the starter kit.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 19, 2016

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

Yeah, that was my point, without that wording you could potentially hit 4 dice attacks with some janky combos. Or two straight up hits with AC. The no further attacks also screws the tie SF title. Without the last paragraph the generic with EPT would be an interesting propostion.

Edit: Really sucks that Wampa doesn't have an EPT. (calculation would be stapled to him in that case anyway I'd guess)

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

thespaceinvader posted:

Putting this on a high PS pilot seems unwise? If they're doing their manoeuvre before you they're highly unlikely to end it in your arc, if they're doing it after you there aren;t that many of them... Chances of wasting it seem high on a high PS guy.

Finally a point for Enhanced Scopes on a B-wing? :shrug:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

hoiyes posted:

Yeah, that was my point, without that wording you could potentially hit 4 dice attacks with some janky combos. Or two straight up hits with AC. The no further attacks also screws the tie SF title. Without the last paragraph the generic with EPT would be an interesting propostion.

No further attacks this phase. You still get normal attacks in the combat phase.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Strobe posted:

Finally a point for Enhanced Scopes on a B-wing? :shrug:

But generic B-Wings already have low PS, so....

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Combos with FCS to get a lock. Or Tie phantom to cloak hahahaha.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Some Numbers posted:

But generic B-Wings already have low PS, so....

And no EPT, so have fun with that. :v:

I think the Phantom cloaking is the funniest part, tbh. Even if it's a massive waste of their damage potential.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
A Phantom cloaking in the middle of the Activation Phase is funny, but running a Phantom without VI is asking for trouble.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I think it's a fun 2-point EPT that I'm going to enjoy screwing around with. I like cards like that. Extra attacks are good and fun, doing stuff in activation phase is also good and fun.

E: can you use it out of arc on a turret ship? It's not a secondary weapon, it's an EPT, but it's also not a primary weapon. My gut says no, you can't, but I guess it'll have to be faq'd?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

If only it didn't have the anti-gunner clause. Snap Shot brobots would be awesome, Snap Shot Gunner FCS ACD Phantoms would be hilarious, etc.

The more I think about it the more I think it's actually pretty solidly balanced. I'd be worried if I thought it was utterly amazing because there are already so many utterly amazing EPTs.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

overdesigned posted:

I think it's a fun 2-point EPT that I'm going to enjoy screwing around with. I like cards like that. Extra attacks are good and fun, doing stuff in activation phase is also good and fun.

E: can you use it out of arc on a turret ship? It's not a secondary weapon, it's an EPT, but it's also not a primary weapon. My gut says no, you can't, but I guess it'll have to be faq'd?

I think it's a secondary weapon for firing purposes, so always firing from the primary arc. Could be interesting with the Shadowcaster title too.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

hoiyes posted:

I think it's a secondary weapon for firing purposes, so always firing from the primary arc. Could be interesting with the Shadowcaster title too.

It is. Anything with Attack: on it is a secondary weapon and in-arc only unless it says otherwise.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Nien numb's ability is reaally good.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Panzeh posted:

Yes it is.

R3-A2 and/or Stay on Target will be his best buddies.

Snap Shot with R3-A2 on Nien would be pretty gross, since you could stressbot from the snapshot, clear it, then do it again (unless they moved).

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Panzeh posted:

Nien takes Pattern Analyzer and PtL. Does a K-turn or T-roll. Pattern Analyzers to get his action, boosts if needed to get into R1. PtL's for whatever, drops the stress. Then check pilot stress hits, assigns a stress from the red, which he then also drops.

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
If you want sick action economy run targeting astromech and stay on target, or PTL and the tech that would let you PTL on a K-turn.

• Locked thread