Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
Thanks! As an additional bonus for this scheme, it is fast as hell to paint, those dudes took maybe 3 hours?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Professor Shark posted:

Cool, what about the tongue?

Not entirely sure, but I probably did the tongue with fulgrim while I was doing the lip highlights then gave it a wash of Carroberg Crimson.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
Bwaaaaa~

This is the Looted Keeper of Secrets for my new megaproject: The Slaanesh Orks. The orks figured that if Slaanesh is the god of having a good time then she's the god of fighting, playing music and going really fast at the same time, and that's pretty good for a god. So they went out and looted a Keeper of Secrets and the Painboyz cut off its arms so they could use it for bitz. The Keeper of Secrets, for her part, found the idea of having her limbs cut off and replaced with crude cybernetics delightfully perverse and decadent, but is having a hard time educating the orks on the finer aspects of excess.

It's one of them situations where it's not clear who is corrupting who.

The base isn't done and there are still a bunch of touchups to do. Just wait until you see the Deff Dreads for this army.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Thanqol posted:

This is the Looted Keeper of Secrets for my new megaproject: The Slaanesh Orks. The orks figured that if Slaanesh is the god of having a good time then she's the god of fighting, playing music and going really fast at the same time, and that's pretty good for a god. So they went out and looted a Keeper of Secrets and the Painboyz cut off its arms so they could use it for bitz. The Keeper of Secrets, for her part, found the idea of having her limbs cut off and replaced with crude cybernetics delightfully perverse and decadent, but is having a hard time educating the orks on the finer aspects of excess.

:perfect:

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

Thanqol posted:

Bwaaaaa~

The base isn't done and there are still a bunch of touchups to do. Just wait until you see the Deff Dreads for this army.

:piss:

I love everything about it. What does it count as? Is it a Slaanesh army or an Ork army? Tell me everything :allears:

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

The Jumpoff posted:

:piss:

I love everything about it. What does it count as? Is it a Slaanesh army or an Ork army? Tell me everything :allears:

It's going to be orks because the ork range is much bigger than the Slaanesh range. I think this'll count as a megadread?

The next stage is 3x Deff Dreads converted into mobile stages for various musician-y types, including a noise marine and that goblin with the bagpipes from the Squig kit.

I figure the vector of the corruption started with the Painboyz so they're the commander-types of the army. I'm still thinking how to convert a bunch of them up (might steal some backpacks from the Death Guard characters?) and I'm still not certain what to do for the Warboss. I know I'll use the AoS slaanesh endless spells somehow but I haven't clicked there either.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
not bad so far, couple mistakes to fix but otherwise quite pleased with my first white model using contrast

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

x-posting this guy:

This loving owns and somebody should tell you that. Great job

Gunder
May 22, 2003

TheBigAristotle posted:

not bad so far, couple mistakes to fix but otherwise quite pleased with my first white model using contrast

That looks really great! What brown did you use for the leather holster? I really like that one.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I used Wlydwood brown. Did a bit more touching up this morning, put some wraithbone on the trim of the left pad, painted the marine on the ground, his shoulderpad trim as well, not visible in the pic.

In close-up the paint on those servo-arms is pretty bad, but it will look fine for tabletop once I go over em with some metallics

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Obvious question, but is Corax White undercoat colour matched to the pot version, which is off-white?

TheBigAristotle posted:

I used Wlydwood brown. Did a bit more touching up this morning, put some wraithbone on the trim of the left pad, painted the marine on the ground, his shoulderpad trim as well, not visible in the pic.

In close-up the paint on those servo-arms is pretty bad, but it will look fine for tabletop once I go over em with some metallics

Nice. I want to get some Apothecary White and try doing Mentor Legion again.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

What model is that which comes with the arm things on the back of the backpack? I’m looking into Hararth Shen conversions and want that!

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Quidthulhu posted:

What model is that which comes with the arm things on the back of the backpack? I’m looking into Hararth Shen conversions and want that!

The one pictured above is a Primaris Apothecary. The other option could be a techmarine?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Quoting myself from the Oath thread:

Icon Of Sin posted:

Oath complete!

I’ve got a full Scarif mob up and ready to go! Jyn Erso (commander), 5 squads of troopers, 2 AT-RTs, a squad of Pathfinders, and a T-47. Maybe I’ll pull them all out for a pic later on, but not just yet :v:

e: gently caress it, Scarif mob. Jyn, 5 squads, Pathfinders. Probably going to add another pathfinder squad and maybe some commandos?

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 6, 2019

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
I painted up my first model with contrast paints (and some standard regular metallics). They're all right. I didn't use the GW undercoats. I started off with some airbrush white primer. The yellows were the only color that really impressed me.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

I'd appreciate some advice on how to make this fella (and his similarly psychic friend) look more "magical." I think I got the glowing eyes reasonably well, but without something more, he mostly looks like a 90's rave attendee.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

inscrutable horse posted:

I'd appreciate some advice on how to make this fella (and his similarly psychic friend) look more "magical." I think I got the glowing eyes reasonably well, but without something more, he mostly looks like a 90's rave attendee.

As a complete novice, maybe some bright highlights. Yoy could give his brain some bright veins as well, he's got the cranium for it.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
It's been a long while since posting and I'm sorry to kind of break in with an unrelated question :

I'm wondering does anyone have advice for setting up a painting desk/chair with very limited space? I'm moving to a smaller, apartment and have about 37"/94cm of space at the foot of my bed as the only candidate for a painting table. Ideally it would also house my pc as my previous desk did but tbh I don't really care as the pc needs to be repaired anyway.

I know I've seen people post very space efficient setups before, but God knows on what page. Any tips, appreciated!

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 7, 2019

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

IPA Regulations posted:

It's been a long while since posting and I'm sorry to kind of break in with an unrelated question :

I'm wondering does anyone have advice for setting up a painting desk/chair with very limited space? I'm moving to a smaller, apartment and have about 37"/94cm of space at the foot of my bed as the only candidate for a painting table. Ideally it would also house my pc as my previous desk did but tbh I don't really care as the pc needs to be repaired anyway.

I know I've seen people post very space efficient setups before, but God knows on what page. Any tips, appreciated!

I just paint at my desk in front of the computer. Are you looking for storage solutions as well or something like that?

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

Hixson posted:

Ty both. Just for fun I decided to time myself when painting this guy. From start to finish it took 8hrs.

I'm sure you've been asked this before but how do you do the mud effects on the feet of your models? Any particular colours or technique? Looks a lot better than most of the other attempts I've seen online.

Thanqol posted:

Bwaaaaa~

This is my new favourite thing. Can't wait to see the rest of the models, especially the deff dreads.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Booyah- posted:

I just paint at my desk in front of the computer. Are you looking for storage solutions as well or something like that?

So did I, the issue is that the new place won't fit my current desk so it's got to go and I'm not sure what I can replace it with that will fit in the space I have. Efficient storage would be a bonus.

I'm looking at either really compact workstations on amazon, or there's a folding desk and shelf combo from IKEA that might also work, but I'll have to check measurements.

I was just wondering if anyone in the thread had maybe some more nuanced solution and/or brands of workstation or desks + storage that can fit in really teeny spaces.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

inscrutable horse posted:

I'd use a pure white dot in each eye, and try gluing debris to the figure and base in such a way to suggest that it is levitating with the rest of the model.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Re-did my snowspeeder from Star Wars: Legion, in the only scheme that ever should be applied to one.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Found a better set of images for Contrast paint swatches. They're pictures of Stormcast with comparisons for both Contrast primers.

https://imgur.com/a/7Q1poPX

Chewbacca
Jan 30, 2003

Thugged out since cub scouts

Thanqol posted:

Let me be just another voice saying that this is brilliant and please never stop.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Gunder posted:

Found a better set of images for Contrast paint swatches. They're pictures of Stormcast with comparisons for both Contrast primers.

https://imgur.com/a/7Q1poPX

Thank you for the link, this really shows the big differences between the base primers.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Hey so I think I found something. I blasted contrast talassar blue thru my airbrush. Thinking I would try and add more with brush and see what happens. What I did though was put 1:1 vallejo flow improver in with the paint and it came out and pooled and did all the normal contrast paint stuff but better? Just did these space marine heads...

only black primer with grey seerer zen and then the blue...

has anyone tried this before?

sorry for the blurry photos. Hard to get my camera to focus on that tiny space shooty man head.

ps shot it at 20psi .3 needle

Jst0rm fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jul 8, 2019

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

moths posted:

I'd use a pure white dot in each eye, and try gluing debris to the figure and base in such a way to suggest that it is levitating with the rest of the model.

Oooh, I hadn’t thought of that! I was thinking more in the lines of painting more glowy stuff, but that sounds much cooler!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Jst0rm posted:

Hey so I think I found something. I blasted contrast talassar blue thru my airbrush. Thinking I would try and add more with brush and see what happens. What I did though was put 1:1 vallejo flow improver in with the paint and it came out and pooled and did all the normal contrast paint stuff but better? Just did these space marine heads...

sorry for the blurry photos. Hard to get my camera to focus on that tiny space shooty man head.

Looks pretty good to me.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Vince Venturella recently posted his exhaustive overview of Contrast paints which I highly recommend for anyone still trying to figure these things out: https://youtu.be/jla40wPw7_U

The first section is kind of your standard application tips etc but he also covers mixing them with other paints, blending, NMM, airbrushing, etc. Very good stuff.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Mikey Purp posted:

Vince Venturella recently posted his exhaustive overview of Contrast paints which I highly recommend for anyone still trying to figure these things out: https://youtu.be/jla40wPw7_U

The first section is kind of your standard application tips etc but he also covers mixing them with other paints, blending, NMM, airbrushing, etc. Very good stuff.

thats a good run down. I like his airbrush technique with the thinner. The thing Im liking about the flow improver/airbrush is it seems you can get a even coat and the contrast at the same time. Im gonna test it on some more stuff but my current crop is normal paint for body and contrast for head only.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I finished the Sepulchral Guard. I'm pretty happy with them, less happy with my photography skills.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Those are some damned fine skeles

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Finished Master of Possession last night, and with him, the whole Chaos half of Shadowspear. Brutal project and I'm glad it's done. Might have to take a break from black and gold and paint some daemons next.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
I made a bridge.

Paint will be applied soon.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Jst0rm posted:

If you're just going to airbrush, you can get similar results without having to use contrasts. What's the point of using contrasts when you already have access to those tools?

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Deified Data posted:

Finished Master of Possession last night, and with him, the whole Chaos half of Shadowspear. Brutal project and I'm glad it's done. Might have to take a break from black and gold and paint some daemons next.

That's some good heresy there.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Spostin'

richyp posted:

Did a couple more speed painted marines today, one for an upcoming goonhammer article, the other because I like painting red.

Last week was a 90 minute Black Templar, this week is a 60 minute Ultrasmurf.

And the Blood Thousand Ravens Sons dude. He took a bit longer (just shy of 2hrs I think, I wasn't clock watching this one because it was just for fun).

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

EvilBeard posted:

If you're just going to airbrush, you can get similar results without having to use contrasts. What's the point of using contrasts when you already have access to those tools?

I got very mixed results trying to hand brush on shade washes before when it came to avoiding pools and tide marks on large curved flat areas like space marine shoulder pads.

I'd imagine removing the brush from the equation would have helped somewhat, and I might give it a go when I get going again with my airbrush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I posted a retrospective of my Marine project on IC's Facebook. Occasionally people ask me to post the models as a whole, they are hear, including the ones not in my list.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.435818283682689&type=3