Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Nessa posted:

The Lion, The Kitchen and The Wardrobe.

Was this a C.S. Lewis commentary on how women belong in the kitchen and laundry room, or they'll get tossed in the ol' den a la Daniel? :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
Thanks for all the book suggestions. I'm writing them all down. My nine year old never wants me to read to her anymore (she'd rather read to herself, which is also great), so I'm excited that the four year old is getting into it.

I'd totally forgotten about Daniel Pinkwater! I remember loving those as a kid.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

D34THROW posted:

Was this a C.S. Lewis commentary on how women belong in the kitchen and laundry room, or they'll get tossed in the ol' den a la Daniel? :thunk:

Lol, I didn’t even notice the autocorrect of witch to kitchen. 😂

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

It only took 2 months but the 20 month old is now brushing his teeth on his own every night!!!!!!

We just got him some stairs so he can even reach the sink to wash the toothbrush off when he's done .

He loving loves teeth brushing. Every time we open the bathroom he grabs his toothbrush to practice.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

L0cke17 posted:

It only took 2 months but the 20 month old is now brushing his teeth on his own every night!!!!!!

We just got him some stairs so he can even reach the sink to wash the toothbrush off when he's done .

He loving loves teeth brushing. Every time we open the bathroom he grabs his toothbrush to practice.

That's amazing, I have to hold my daughter down like 80% of the time. She's about the same age.

If I give her the toothbrush, she loves that, but just kind of chews on it happily, no brushing.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
My son is 24 months and yeah he just chews on it. Maybe moves it back and forth one time. We take “our turn” after he’s done which used to be a trial of tears and screams but lately he’s been pretty good about just opening up and letting us go to town.

Still never been to the dentist because COVID. Maybe this summer.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Our kid used to be all right with toothbrushing but it's a loving struggle now and most of the time she just ends up chewing the brush. At least she takes her fluoride drops like a champ.

Everything is a struggle right now though. Her sleep schedule is all messed up. Last night she had a tantrum and passed out before dinner, then started her day at 4am. Used to be a champion sleeper but now hasn't fully slept in weeks.

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
Toddler is very good about running to the sink and getting her step stool out for toothbrushing, even when I don't ask her to do it, but she HATES getting her teeth brushed. She's slowing started tolerating it more now, though.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
My little dude has pink eye for the first time. He seems to be feeling ok, just looks gross and I wasn’t expecting to have him home from daycare today.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Welp, screwed the pooch on cussing in front of my three year old.

Now he’s just saying “I’m just trying to fix this (stupid/loving) thing.”

Time to really start paying attention to what I say-the wife is not pleased.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

nwin posted:

Eh, we just tell them that there are grown-up words that they can't say yet.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

remigious posted:

My little dude has pink eye for the first time. He seems to be feeling ok, just looks gross and I wasn’t expecting to have him home from daycare today.

We had that a few weeks ago and the antibiotic eye drops they prescribed us nuked it in like 24 hours fyi.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

hooah posted:

Eh, we just tell them that there are grown-up words that they can't say yet.

Because of lumping things in the grown-up category my two year old has come to believe that once he’s potty trained and done with diapers he will also be able to drink coffee.

If he overhears a curse and repeats it we just quickly disguise it in a homonym:

Me: “oh poo poo”
Toddler: “oh poo poo! Oh poo poo! Oh poo poo!”
Me: “er… that’s right, fish do swim in the ocean!”

So far has worked to move him off it.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

nwin posted:

Are you me?

Or, rather, I think ours must have picked it up from here mother because I never use that particular phrase she used today, but the coincidence of it... Kid was trying to pick scotch tape off a toy (which she had a lot of fun applying a few weeks back), and when she failed to get a hold of it, loosely translated, she exclaimed "what the *hell*, why is it stuck so hard?"

Yeah it's cute coming from a three-year-old, but she got the old schpiel about how those are grown-up words that she can use when she gets bigger, and to save them for when something is really really bad.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

Ours has started mimicking our non-swearing swears. As in "hecking dang mommy, this is good oatmeal :D"

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

External Organs posted:

We had that a few weeks ago and the antibiotic eye drops they prescribed us nuked it in like 24 hours fyi.

Oh wonderful! We just got the drops, I am relieved to hear that they work quickly.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Brush chat: we have to pin down our kid to brush their teeth twice a day. She will chew the brush on her own but no actual brushing ever gets done unless we hold her down while she screams her head off. I view brushing teeth as a non negotiable on the same level as diaper changes but maybe I am just traumatizing her.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
My toddler thinks it's fuckin hilarious when we brush his teeth for him. I'm not gonna question it because it makes it easy but still :shrug:

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Each of our twins has 2 toothbrushes: one for them to chew on, the other for us to actually brush their teeth while they are chewing. This is the only way we're able to make it work.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

The ogre toddler's been doing well at speech therapy. It's god drat adorable seeing him use the various hand gestures.

Less adorable was the conference we had with my daughter's therapist which ended with us at an impasse. We lost faith in her months ago and she's now planning on withdrawing as her provider, which'll be interesting after all the effort horsehumper put into having the court mandate we keep her despite her not taking insurance and increasing her fees.

Cowfondler is also refusing to get our daughter a follow up COVID test after she popped a fever at school yesterday and got *really* pissy when we told him that if he's keeping her out of school on Monday he drat well better have her at our house at the time school would begin - his possession ends then. Current hope is that we can do a test and if she's negative she can still go to school late and enjoy her class's 100 Day Parade.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Has anyone taught their baby to sign and if so are there any particular resources you could recommend?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

hallo spacedog posted:

Has anyone taught their baby to sign and if so are there any particular resources you could recommend?

https://www.amazon.com/Baby-Signs-Baby-Sized-Introduction-Speaking/dp/0803731930/

Our kiddo picked up about half of the signs in here and then made up his own for the rest.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
We were gifted The Complete Guide to Baby Sign Language and it was a cool good start but now I just open YouTube and search "asl [word we're looking for]"

My toddler is also very into videos with accompanying signing but fuckin hates videos aimed at teaching signing

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Chernobyl Princess posted:

Ours has started mimicking our non-swearing swears. As in "hecking dang mommy, this is good oatmeal :D"

Somewhere out 4 year old picked up "aw, nuts" and it's hysterical

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Ben Nevis posted:

Somewhere out 4 year old picked up "aw, nuts" and it's hysterical

Our 2.5yo has ‘aw geez’ down. I’m hoping she picks up ‘ding dang’ soon enough.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

hallo spacedog posted:

Our baby knows “more”, “all done”, and “poop” right now and that’s about it. I should keep teaching him some.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

space uncle posted:

Our baby knows “more”, “all done”, and “poop” right now and that’s about it. I should keep teaching him some.

How old is your baby?

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

space uncle posted:

That's about all our kid learned (plus a gesture of her own invention that meant "what's that sound") and even that small amount served us all very well.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Our 13 month old knows all done (swivel wrists, open hands), and more (tap fingers together). We were never rigorous with any of it, and don’t have much use for other signs, these two do a lot of work.

Also, I gotta say it to someone besides my wife, but the bluey soundtrack is loving amazing. I’ve never even seen the show, but these songs are wonderful.

meanolmrcloud fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 30, 2022

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Bluey is really cute and chill in general. I really like it.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

My issues with Bluey are primarily that it makes my daughter speak with a fake Australian accent and how she just copies the games in there verbatim. And gets upset if I go off script.

But then she's 5.5 so I understand that.

Whatever issues I have with it are more than counterbalanced by the gutpunched-in-the-feels episodes like Baby Races. Or the one where the Jack Russell Terrier manages to blossom at school - I wish I had something like that happen to my ADHD riddled rear end when I was his age.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

citybeatnik posted:

My issues with Bluey are primarily that it makes my daughter speak with a fake Australian accent and how she just copies the games in there verbatim. And gets upset if I go off script.

There is an episode of Bluey called "Octopus" where one of Bluey's friends gets upset because their Dad won't play a game the same way that Bandit does. We've watched that one over many times when our 8 year old gets cranky that we refuse to play the Bluey game that involves a magic wand that makes things heavy. Nope nope nope

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

bee posted:

There is an episode of Bluey called "Octopus" where one of Bluey's friends gets upset because their Dad won't play a game the same way that Bandit does. We've watched that one over many times when our 8 year old gets cranky that we refuse to play the Bluey game that involves a magic wand that makes things heavy. Nope nope nope

My husband plays "Heavy" with our kid. I refuse to play along. I am too pregnant for that poo poo.

...we do play laundry bullfight, where I sneakily teach him how to fold clothes and get him to put his stuff away. I have no idea how long that game is going to work, but it briefly made me feel like a Parenting Genius.

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
During dinner tonight, I gave toddler a piece of a thai spring roll and modeled dipping it into peanut sauce, saying "dip, dip, dip!". She then spent the rest of dinner taking apart the spring roll and waving the pieces around while saying "dipthdipthdipthdipth" and occasionally dipping them into the peanut sauce on her plate. It was incredibly adorable.

Toddlers can be a pain in the rear end, but having something so goddamned cute in front of you every day makes up for a lot.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

bee posted:

I liked that one too. But the tiny tyrant lashes out/assumes she's in trouble when we do things like "gently point out that what she's doing might be dangerous" let alone actual behavioral corrections.

Her current favorite thing is to shout out "oh great now i'm in trouble!", cover her ears when we go "but you're not; sweetheart", and then storm off to her room. With occasional shrieking tossed in. Which is confusing as gently caress but her soon to be ex therapist has been less than helpful on that front.

Carotid posted:

During dinner tonight, I gave toddler a piece of a thai spring roll and modeled dipping it into peanut sauce, saying "dip, dip, dip!". She then spent the rest of dinner taking apart the spring roll and waving the pieces around while saying "dipthdipthdipthdipth" and occasionally dipping them into the peanut sauce on her plate. It was incredibly adorable.

Toddlers can be a pain in the rear end, but having something so goddamned cute in front of you every day makes up for a lot.

That is god drat adorable.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

hallo spacedog posted:

How old is your baby?

Just hit 14 months. Our nanny was really the one to work on getting the signs down, we just reinforce them when we can.

Unfortunately right now the sign for “poop” is more just recognizing the word, he does not understand the question “did you poop” and just likes to repeat “poop” regardless of if he pooped or not.

But when he does poop and sign “poop” simultaneously that little sucker has a huuuuge grin.

He got to play with a 2 year old today, we stayed outdoors to try and reduce covid risk. They weren’t terribly interested in one another but did work on sharing the toys and waving to each other. When we left she asked “where is he going?” So he made some impression.

Went down super hard at the dog park recently too, cut lip and road rash on chin. I even had his little hand held but he slipped out of it and face planted. I feel bad but I know they heal quick. Poor little dude.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Finally, 8 weeks or so after we got the play structure installed the toddler will climb up the stairs and go down the slide himself.

I'm free. No longer will he slide down then stare at me and sob til I put him back at the top of the slide to go again for hours on end.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Tested positive with a very faint line last week, to the point I almost drove around to see who has more tests on the shelf. Ultimately I didn’t because I wanted to be responsible and assume it was correct (given both kids and au pair had it too), but now I’m not so sure it was. On the tenth day, yesterday, I tested positive with a much more prominent red line, making me think the initial positive was not actually a positive. I cancelled my PCR test because of the positive rapid, and perhaps I should have taken it still. At least it’s after the tenth day, I never had a fever, only developed a cough that has improved to basically no cough, and I was wearing a KN95 at work all day every day from day 6 on.

The kids? They never showed symptoms other than my baby girl with a cough. I figured I’d get it because how can I not snuggle my freaking kids

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

My wife tested negative twice in a row on the rapid test yesterday morning and now this morning! We've decided that she is out of isolation! Thank god!

I also tested myself again and I came up negative, and the kids never presented symptoms so I think we may have avoided it this time around, somehow.

Thank you thread for suggesting we proceed with caution. It was difficult taking care of the kids by myself for a few extra days, but I would have regretted it if we got sick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

He's finally going back to school tomorrow. I am so tired of the sound of cherubic laughter at his parents expense.