Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Atomizer posted:

I've never waded through the MXM secondary market before, but it seems like anything you'd want is far more expense than it's worth. Even ignoring the $500+ Pascal parts I saw on eBay, there's a 970M for $300, 880m for $400+, 680M for $250, 670M for $100, 770M for $150+, 660M for $140, etc. I mean sure, it's nice that you can upgrade some laptop GPUs, but it's not particularly cost-effective unless you scoop up a really loving good deal, and I don't think it fits the original purpose of having an inexpensive indie-gaming laptop or whatever he wanted to do with it.

True, but it was nice to be able to do it, and I did it to mine for fairly cheap.

Granted: Part of the deal for buying my new M7510 was having Thunderbolt 3 for an eGPU in case I run out of MXM cards to upgrade the internal with. Nice to have to have two upgrade paths now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tryke
Jun 27, 2008

IuniusBrutus posted:

Costco has the new X1 Carbon on display and holy :fap:

$1600 though, but at least it is the 16gb/512gb model.

Yeah, I saw this while buying groceries. Best deal on an X1 I've seen yet. I only wish they were carrying the 1440p screen instead of the 1080p. My retina MBP has really spoiled me on laptop screens.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Anybody have thoughts on the XPS13 2-in-1 versus the regular version? Been thinking about getting one from Dell Outlet and the deals seem to be better on the 2-in-1s but I can't tell how much worse they actually perform.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I suspect it probably depends on what you're using it for. For browsing/ youtube that m7 will be fine. The xps13 is pretty light for a laptop but its still like 3x heavier than my tablet so keep that in mind too.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I just bought a powerspec 1710 from microcenter and I am enjoying it immensely.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I bought a new thinkpad t480 (against thread advice, yes I know), and twice now it's done a thing where the screen goes black except for a few lines of static at the top and squares of static that blink on and off on the rest of the screen. The first time it did this I simply held the power button to turn it off and it worked again after that. This time though I did the same to turn it off, tried to turn it back on and now it's stuck in a cycle where the power button along with the keyboard lights turns on for a second or two, then goes black for about five seconds, and turns on again for a second or two. What the gently caress is wrong with it? Removing the battery and holding the power button down for 10 or 20 seconds caused it to stop cycling, but turning it on again it does the same thing.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

icantfindaname posted:

I bought a new thinkpad t480 (against thread advice, yes I know), and twice now it's done a thing where the screen goes black except for a few lines of static at the top and squares of static that blink on and off on the rest of the screen. The first time it did this I simply held the power button to turn it off and it worked again after that. This time though I did the same to turn it off, tried to turn it back on and now it's stuck in a cycle where the power button along with the keyboard lights turns on for a second or two, then goes black for about five seconds, and turns on again for a second or two. What the gently caress is wrong with it? Removing the battery and holding the power button down for 10 or 20 seconds caused it to stop cycling, but turning it on again it does the same thing.

Sounds hosed, could be something simple like a bad switch, but more likely it's some kind of power issue. Honestly I'd say it's time for an RMA.

Karmakazi
Dec 24, 2013
So my fiancé has basically stolen my 2015 surface pro 4 (i7, 8gb, 256ssd) after saying she hated it (go figure) and basically all she does is homework and Facebook or Netflix/Hulu. It’s really overkill for her needs, but the integrated graphics don’t quite have the power I would prefer (still plays Skyrim with a decent amount of mods on high though). So either I get myself a rig with dedicated graphics card to play on, or I get her something more appropriate for her use and take back my surface pro and upgrade when it eventually burns out.

I’m also playing with the idea of building a 4K ultra multi screen beast of a desktop for serious gaming (likely the same cost as a good gaming laptop, or less).

So tl,dr need a decent priced laptop with nice screen that can have 20 different browser tabs open & Word while streaming video for her, and something with a great graphics card/screen for myself.
I’m thinking Lenovo thinkpad for her? And I’m up in the air between an xps 15, mbp 15, something from asus or Alienware, the Razer, or Origin, pelican ect for myself.

Or just say gently caress it and buy her a chrome book, use my surface until it dies, and use the money for a desktop.

Price ranges are pretty open, but I don’t really want to go over 2k for both when I can build something for home use cheaper. Need laptops though because we’re both students.

Are we past the “gaming laptops are a bad idea and not as strong as desktops.” Yet? With full sized graphics cards, lots of RAM & ssd, it really just seems to come down to upgradability vs portability, unless I’m missing something?

Karmakazi fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Mar 28, 2018

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Rexxed posted:

Sounds hosed, could be something simple like a bad switch, but more likely it's some kind of power issue. Honestly I'd say it's time for an RMA.

Welp, resetting the memory fixed it.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Karmakazi posted:

So my fiancé has basically stolen my 2015 surface pro 4 (i7, 8gb, 256ssd) after saying she hated it (go figure) and basically all she does is homework and Facebook or Netflix/Hulu. It’s really overkill for her needs, but the integrated graphics don’t quite have the power I would prefer (still plays Skyrim with a decent amount of mods on high though). So either I get myself a rig with dedicated graphics card to play on, or I get her something more appropriate for her use and take back my surface pro and upgrade when it eventually burns out.

I’m also playing with the idea of building a 4K ultra multi screen beast of a desktop for serious gaming (likely the same cost as a good gaming laptop, or less).

So tl,dr need a decent priced laptop with nice screen that can have 20 different browser tabs open & Word while streaming video for her, and something with a great graphics card/screen for myself.
I’m thinking Lenovo thinkpad for her? And I’m up in the air between an xps 15, mbp 15, something from asus or Alienware, the Razer, or Origin, pelican ect for myself.

Or just say gently caress it and buy her a chrome book, use my surface until it dies, and use the money for a desktop.

Price ranges are pretty open, but I don’t really want to go over 2k for both when I can build something for home use cheaper. Need laptops though because we’re both students.

Are we past the “gaming laptops are a bad idea and not as strong as desktops.” Yet? With full sized graphics cards, lots of RAM & ssd, it really just seems to come down to upgradability vs portability, unless I’m missing something?

Either get her a CB or let her use your Surface. You can get an excellent performing gaming laptop in the Acer Helios 300 for around $1k, which makes it the best value as well, especially considering graphics card prices. UHD gaming still isn't ubiquitous, and the aforementioned GPU prices will make it absurdly expensive even if you build your own desktop.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Karmakazi posted:

You poor bastard. RAM and GPU prices are hosed for the foreseeable future. It’s gotten to the point where gaming laptops have been the better value for a while.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

AverySpecialfriend posted:

i would be willing to get a chromebook for linux usage use if it was adequately powered and had a nice keyboard + acceptable screen

I've been using a chomebook pixel for about 3 years now as a linux box and apart from the fairly lovely keyboard, which I only use when out of office anyway, it's been loving perfect.

Pricy tho at 1300 I guess, but the 2560x1700 screen by itself makes it worth it and I hope it doesn't die for another 5 years because 16gb ram will hopefully last that long

e: welp didn't notice that post was like a month old

Truga fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Mar 28, 2018

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

icantfindaname posted:

Welp, resetting the memory fixed it.

Did you get the 4k screen on your T480?

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Finally posting from my Thinkpad T470. This is far and wide my favorite laptop I've ever used, coming off a 2015 macbook pro.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Hey, I don't normally post in this neck of the woods but I'm looking for some advice on replacing my current Lenovo Ideapad Y500 that I'm pretty sure I got in either 2012 or 2013 so it's pretty drat overdue. I've been checking out the T-470 based on recommendations and it looks really nice, I kinda want to spring for the terabyte SSD because I'm getting tired of heating issues from gaming laptops and HDDs. Are there any other technical recommendations that y'all would say I go for? My laptop is predominantly used for writing, internet surfing, Youtube and Tabletop Simulator/graphics-light games, I really stopped playing video games in general which is why I'm leaning more towards the T-470 than another Ideapad. Also I'm planning on buying something out Lenovo's refurbished outlet zone.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Dell XPS 15 2-In-1 review is in and

Andrew E. Freedman posted:

When I listened to Fuel's "Hemorrhage (In My Hands)," the raw, 2000s-style indie-emo vocals were clear, as were the guitars and the drums, but the bass was weak

What the gently caress. That quote totally ground my reading to a halt.

Base model is $1500 with only 8GB RAM and a 256GB SSD. Eh.

https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/dell-xps-15-2-in-1

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Kinda want to replace my aging laptop that I mostly keep hook up as a desktop in my bedroom. It was a nice MSI 'gaming laptop' that I kinda regret going with more features at the time like a bluray player that doesn't work right half the time and of course gaming feature that couldn't keep up with the times. Plus me breaking the A key from the laptop early on when trying to clean it, not knowing it wasn't designed the same way as the cheap logitech keyboard.

I already have a iPad Pro which I would use mostly for watching more intense videos, but I wouldn't mind having teh laptop be able to watch HD videos without any trouble at all, as that was one of the main uses of my laptop when I went on the road, even with the ipad. Part of me wouldn't mind finding one that could run overwatch, but honestly that will just fall into the same trap my old laptop had so I probably not going to bother.

That said, I mainly want to get a '2 in 1" laptop, especially at least one that can run DS homebrew.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

I bought a ThinkPad 13 and I'm obsessed. Thanks for the discount code, laptop thread!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

NewFatMike posted:

Dell XPS 15 2-In-1 review is in and

Lmao

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

NewFatMike posted:

When I listened to Anal oval office's "You Quit Doing Heroin, You Pussy," the incoherent shrieking was succulent, and the double kick pedal slapped me in the face like a double headed marital aid, though the bass was weak.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Yes, but how does fuel's hemorrhage (in my hands) sound on it? Is going to be the new benchmark question for all future hardware recommendations.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
I'm starting grad school this coming fall, and I don't think my T420 is going to cut it while on campus. I love the thing, but it's bulky/heavy and the battery life isn't what I think I'll need. I want something more portable and with good battery life. So, a word/internet machine is essentially what I'm after. Will a Chromebook cut it here, or is there a reason to get a Windows machine?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Vital Signs posted:

I'm starting grad school this coming fall, and I don't think my T420 is going to cut it while on campus. I love the thing, but it's bulky/heavy and the battery life isn't what I think I'll need. I want something more portable and with good battery life. So, a word/internet machine is essentially what I'm after. Will a Chromebook cut it here, or is there a reason to get a Windows machine?

A CB is perfect for that use case if office.com (or Google Docs) satisfies your productivity needs.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)

Vital Signs posted:

Are you in a field where your notes include lots of graphs and diagrams? If so a modern pen-enabled convertible + OneNote is clutch.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
I think a chrome book will work, no issues with graphs or anything, just a lot of research and paper writing.

I think something like the HP Stream 11 that the OP mentions may be the ticket. Seems like a Chromebook that actually runs windows. The one thing I dislike about my wife’s chromebook is that sometimes there isn’t an app option and I can’t do .exe. Doesn’t happen often, but it has happened.

Vital Signs fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Mar 31, 2018

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Vital Signs posted:

I think a chrome book will work, no issues with graphs or anything, just a lot of research and paper writing.

I think something like the HP Stream 11 that the OP mentions may be the ticket. Seems like a Chromebook that actually runs windows. The one thing I dislike about my wife’s chromebook is that sometimes there isn’t an app option and I can’t do .exe. Doesn’t happen often, but it has happened.

pls no

whats your budget

some options i would consider before that hp stream (note: i would not consider that hp stream in 2018)

(new, will do anything you really ask of it, probably too bulky tho)

quote:

refurb lenovo from reputable reseller

(chromebook route) https://www.amazon.com/C302CA-DHM4-Chromebook-12-5-inch-Touchscreen-Convertible/dp/B01N5G5PG2

or if your budget is a bit higher than ~400-450

http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/Online/InventorySearch.aspx?c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh&brandid=2201&fid=200001

Worf fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Mar 31, 2018

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Statutory Ape posted:

pls no

whats your budget

some options i would consider before that hp stream (note: i would not consider that hp stream in 2018)

(new, will do anything you really ask of it, probably too bulky tho)

(chromebook route) https://www.amazon.com/C302CA-DHM4-Chromebook-12-5-inch-Touchscreen-Convertible/dp/B01N5G5PG2

or if your budget is a bit higher than ~400-450

http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/Online/InventorySearch.aspx?c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh&brandid=2201&fid=200001
Sorry, I meant something like it. As in a chromebook that ran windows, not that I would get that exact thing.

I’ll have to come up with my actual budget. Cheaper the better for sure. I’m going to be super poor for the next year getting this degree. Go Blue!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I think I saw the Powerspec 1710 mentioned a few pages back, but does anyone have any thoughts on the 1510?

I've given up on finding a higher-end upgradeable laptop without a GPU, so now my thought process is if it's going to have a GPU it had better have enough of one to play VR games so I don't have to drag my desktop around anymore. This seems to be the best bang-for-the-buck in that range.

The only real disappointment I have with it on paper is the lack of Thunderbolt. Annoyingly the 1710 does seem to have it, but I really don't want a 17" system.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011
On this thread’s recommendation, I recently got a dell insipiron 7577 gaming laptop. I use it as a desktop replacement, and would also like to be able to use it in different rooms without having to individually detach the desktop monitor/internet cable/ whatever else it plugged into it. Also I guess it would be nice if my girlfriend could use the same deskspqce with her laptop while I’m at work.

Is a docking station the best way to do this? If so, are there any particular recommendations on which one to use?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Alamoduh posted:

On this thread’s recommendation, I recently got a dell insipiron 7577 gaming laptop. I use it as a desktop replacement, and would also like to be able to use it in different rooms without having to individually detach the desktop monitor/internet cable/ whatever else it plugged into it. Also I guess it would be nice if my girlfriend could use the same deskspqce with her laptop while I’m at work.

Is a docking station the best way to do this? If so, are there any particular recommendations on which one to use?
Sounds like a USB-C or Thunderbolt dock is what you want, depending on which your girlfriend's laptop supports and what you want out of it. Thunderbolt docks can give you more features and higher performance on any interfaces they happen to expose, but if you're just looking for display, ethernet, and input devices a dock using USB-C in DisplayPort Alternative Mode should be just as good.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
So, my 4+ year old Lenovo Y410P is finally starting to fall apart after a good amount of rough travel and I'm looking for a replacement. I've got a good gaming desktop that I'm happy with; the use case for this is something I can travel with without straining during my moderately frequent travel, on which I can surf, keep connected with email and such, and amuse myself with light games. Older stuff and indie games (think Spelunky/Necrodancer, MOO2/Alpha Centauri) are a must; being able to just barely run more recent things like Civ 5, Overwatch, and Fortnite at modest quality would be a significant plus but isn't absolutely necessary. I'd also like enough battery life that I can use the blasted thing on a cross-country flight and through a layover without doing the panicky hunt-for-open-outlets-in-the-Baltimore-concourse again. I've got my eye on both traditional laptops and 2-in-1 convertible ones, since while most of the use would be like a laptop the ability to flip it and watch netflix on a tablet-like form factor would be really neat. 1080p is almost a must, but I could drop to a 13" screen no problem.

Budget: $1000 is a hard cap, $800 or less is preferable
Performance: I'd prefer something that could mostly keep up with this Y410P (8 gigs RAM, i7-4700 processor)
Size: 13-15", probably. Lower and the 1080p display I want wouldn't make much sense, bigger and portability would be a minus. 13" 1080p is probably my sweet spot.
Graphics: I can probably tolerate integrated graphics, especially if it's the 630 instead of 620 chipset.
Hard drive: I can't go back to traditional hard drives. SSD is a must; 256 GB or higher is preferred, and if it's on the low end of that an SD card reader I can jam extra storage into (to count against my cap)
Battery Life: >6 hours would be extremely good. The more the better.
Other strong desires: As low weight as I can push it. 2 or more USB 3.0 slots. Good quality IPS screen. Robust build quality (this Y410P has had a lot of of issues over its lifetime). Moderate game-ability but this isn't going to be a rig I thrash with Far Cry.

I've had my eye on the Yoga 720 in the 13" size as about the best way to meet most of my desires as I can get. Dell's Inspiron 13 7000 2-in-1 series looks okay, but the battery seems undersized. HP's 13" offerings are a little overpriced to my jaded eye and overkill for what I need. Acer Swift 3 seems like a good option if I'm willing to forego the impulse to get a new shiny 2-in-1. What else should I be eyeballing given what I want and my budget?

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Vital Signs posted:

Sorry, I meant something like it. As in a chromebook that ran windows, not that I would get that exact thing.

I’ll have to come up with my actual budget. Cheaper the better for sure. I’m going to be super poor for the next year getting this degree. Go Blue!

As someone who spends way, way, way too much time in Ann Arbor unwillingly, you have my condolences.

Also, take the last of your expendable cash and go to Knight's Steakhouse.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mukaikubo posted:

Budget: $1000 is a hard cap, $800 or less is preferable
Performance: I'd prefer something that could mostly keep up with this Y410P (8 gigs RAM, i7-4700 processor)
Size: 13-15", probably. Lower and the 1080p display I want wouldn't make much sense, bigger and portability would be a minus. 13" 1080p is probably my sweet spot.
Graphics: I can probably tolerate integrated graphics, especially if it's the 630 instead of 620 chipset.
Hard drive: I can't go back to traditional hard drives. SSD is a must; 256 GB or higher is preferred, and if it's on the low end of that an SD card reader I can jam extra storage into (to count against my cap)
Battery Life: >6 hours would be extremely good. The more the better.
Other strong desires: As low weight as I can push it. 2 or more USB 3.0 slots. Good quality IPS screen. Robust build quality (this Y410P has had a lot of of issues over its lifetime). Moderate game-ability but this isn't going to be a rig I thrash with Far Cry.

How about a Samsung 9 13" laptop? It's $1,099 but there no tax if you're outside of New York.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1383103-REG/samsung_np900x3t_k01us_13_3_notebook_9.html

1.6 GHz Intel Core i5-8250U Quad-Core
8GB DDR4 | 256GB NVMe SSD
13.3" 1920 x 1080 Display
Integrated Intel UHD Graphics 620
MicroSD Media Card Reader
802.11ac Wi-Fi | Bluetooth 4.1
USB Type-C | USB 3.0 Type-A | HDMI
Backlit Keyboard | Fingerprint Reader
180° Hinge | 500 Nits Outdoor Mode
Windows 10 Home (64-Bit)

It's 2 pounds

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

IuniusBrutus posted:

As someone who spends way, way, way too much time in Ann Arbor unwillingly, you have my condolences.

Also, take the last of your expendable cash and go to Knight's Steakhouse.
I'm actually returning to the area after a two year hiatus. Use to own a house over in the Packard/Platt area. I actually miss it quite a bit and I'm excited.

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-E5-575-33BM-15-6-Inch-Notebook-Generation/dp/B01K1IO3QW
Can it be further explained why getting this and doing a ram and SSD upgrade is suggested? Couldn’t I get an i5, SSD, and 8 gb at base for less? What am I missing here?

Vital Signs fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Apr 1, 2018

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Vital Signs posted:

I'm actually returning to the area after a two year hiatus. Use to own a house over in the Packard/Platt area. I actually miss it quite a bit and I'm excited.

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-E5-575-33BM-15-6-Inch-Notebook-Generation/dp/B01K1IO3QW
Can it be further explained why getting this and doing a ram and SSD upgrade is suggested? Couldn’t I get an i5, SSD, and 8 gb at base for less? What am I missing here?

If you can find one with a better CPU, 8gb of RAM and an SSD stock for about $450, buy it. In my experience it's usually a little more and some of them have 1366x768 screens or whatever. The Acer has a 1920x1080 panel. It's not the best screen I've ever seen but it's a lot better than the crappy one in my thinkpad.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Vital Signs posted:

This E15 is still the best new Windows laptop for the money. Considering that everything below several hundred dollars is built to hit a price point, the fact that you can get everything in that laptop for $350 is astonishing. The upgrades are suggested because the built-in 4 GB of RAM is a little tight, and it's easy to upgrade with 1 DIMM slot occupied of 2. Unfortunately it has an HDD instead of a SSD, but the latter is easy to add as there's an m.2 slot under the same access panel as the RAM (and 2.5" bay) on the bottom of the laptop. I think it's like 3 screws and you're in there.

What really sets the E15 apart from other budget options and even older, similarly-priced used laptops is the decent FHD display and backlit keyboard. You might be able to find a used laptop with an SSD and 8 GB of RAM in the same price range, but it'll probably be missing some feature or other that the Acer has. Also, note that even though it has an i3 CPU, any other laptop below $600-700 is going to have a similar 2C4T CPU that's only incrementally faster than the i3, since all of Intel's ULV CPUs were 2C4T before Kaby Lake-R (there are 4C i5 and 4C8T i7s available in more expensive gaming laptops or workstations.)

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Sometimes I get too caught up in numbers and forget i7 > i5 > i3 is not always true. I’m also an idiot and rarely ever pay attention to screen details when looking at a laptop.

I do really like how easy they make it to upgrade as well. Seems like chromebook or windows both have me spending 400-500 after upgrades to the windows machine. Am I gaining anything with a chromebook past having a lighter and perhaps more portable screen, at the cost of not having exe’s, actual word suite, and maybe a few other negatives I’m missing?

Vital Signs fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Apr 1, 2018

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Mu Zeta posted:

How about a Samsung 9 13" laptop? It's $1,099 but there no tax if you're outside of New York.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1383103-REG/samsung_np900x3t_k01us_13_3_notebook_9.html

1.6 GHz Intel Core i5-8250U Quad-Core
8GB DDR4 | 256GB NVMe SSD
13.3" 1920 x 1080 Display
Integrated Intel UHD Graphics 620
MicroSD Media Card Reader
802.11ac Wi-Fi | Bluetooth 4.1
USB Type-C | USB 3.0 Type-A | HDMI
Backlit Keyboard | Fingerprint Reader
180° Hinge | 500 Nits Outdoor Mode
Windows 10 Home (64-Bit)

It's 2 pounds

It's an interesting option, but I'd rather compromise a little on portability and have a 3-4 pound laptop than compromise on my budget.

And ironically I actually live in New York. :saddowns:

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Any estimates on prices for the Intel G laptops? The Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 is going to $1500, but it’s hard to tell how much of that is from being a fancy pants 2-in-1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Vital Signs posted:

Sometimes I get too caught up in numbers and forget i7 > i5 > i3 is not always true. I’m also an idiot and rarely ever pay attention to screen details when looking at a laptop.

I do really like how easy they make it to upgrade as well. Seems like chromebook or windows both have me spending 400-500 after upgrades to the windows machine. Am I gaining anything with a chromebook past having a lighter and perhaps more portable screen, at the cost of not having exe’s, actual word suite, and maybe a few other negatives I’m missing?

Well it still is true that the i7 is better than the i5 and so on, it's just that there's more of a distinction between the desktop CPUs (mostly in terms of core and thread count) than the ULV ones (again, before Kaby Lake-R.)

Display specs are also quite important, because often entry-level laptops cheap out and stick you with a large but low-resolution panel.

If ChromeOS does everything you need, then it'll be the cheaper/faster/more secure option over a Windows laptop. ChromeOS requires essentially no maintenance (just restart the system when prompted that an update is ready) and is far less vulnerable to malware. If you do need to run Windows applications (which, right at this moment, can't easily be run on ChromeOS although that capability will arrive in the future) and Android apps won't do, go for the Windows system.