Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
You can't make Rob in Sonic Forces. :(
Although I do kind of think the custom character is kind of a cute idea. Not enough for me to get the game though since it just looks like Sonic Generations with very few changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
if we can make Bean the Duck, it'll all be worth it

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

scarycave posted:

You can't make Rob in Sonic Forces. :(
Although I do kind of think the custom character is kind of a cute idea. Not enough for me to get the game though since it just looks like Sonic Generations with very few changes.

i just need a yellow base skin and some red circle decals for the face.

do NOT gently caress this up, sega

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The Diablo 3 necromancer class is out. And it's 15 bucks.

Am I being a rose tinted entitled gamer or is that something that would have been free content like 5-10 years ago?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It certainly wouldn't have been necessarily free, but $15 for one character seems drat steep.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Yardbomb posted:

Scholar of the First Sin is fun stuff, people gripe about it being "romhack difficulty" or something but man, not even trying to brag but I did my first playthrough of it with power stance fist weapons, the thing ain't that hard if you just go in knowing to put a deal of points into ADP, you do that and there you go, all you need is dodge timing again and you're set.

It can't be as bad as the true standard of "romhack difficulty" in a sequel, Hotline Miami 2. Holy poo poo, I loved the first one but that was probably one of the worst sequels of all time. The original was hard, but you learned and improved and it ended up being more of a puzzle game that required fast reflexes more than anything else. The second one had levels that were mostly glass and you'd get splatted by dudes with guns before you could ever see them and learn how they moved through the level. It was awful.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of bad endings, I just finished Ghost Recon: Wildlands this afternoon and the game has two endings, one for when you beat the game and then another if you do 100% of the missions. An odd thing is that you have to go through the first ending even if you already had completed 100% of the missions. Anyway the first ending is you get to the head of the cartel and are about to take him in when he tells your CIA handler to answer her phone. She does and it turns out that El Sueno had made a deal with the DoJ to rat on all his rivals for full immunity. As he's walking away your handler shoots him in the back and then multiple times in the head, killing him. She then gives a speech talking about how she did it for the people of Bolivia because if he had walked away he would have become a dictator who would have been almost impossible to root out and that she gladly gives up her freedom to stop him.

If you do 100% the cutscene plays out almost exactly the same, except she lets him live. Then you get a scene where she talks about how he's giving up bad guys while living in a condo in Florida under constant surveillance but eventually he'll get away and start up a new cartel but she and the Ghosts will be there to stop him.

It really feels like someone accidentally reversed the two endings because the first one gives you some kind of closure while the second one just kind of says "nothing you did mattered."

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

muscles like this! posted:

It really feels like someone accidentally reversed the two endings because the first one gives you some kind of closure while the second one just kind of says "nothing you did mattered."

That actually sounds like some kind of blatant error that made it's way through anyway, what in the hell.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

It also sounds like you don't actually so anything in the ending except make sure it happens. Is your character not involved in any of that action?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Of course not, you just stand there while your CIA handler does/doesn't do it.

Frankly the game's writing got a little weird at times, like there's this mission where you're trying to stop the foreman for this energy company from selling the chemicals to the cartel that they use in production of cocaine. He tells you that he can't stop because the cartel will start killing his people. Your solution to his problem? You're tasked with shooting up some oil wells and then going back to him and telling him if he doesn't stop you'll destroy the rest.

He then goes "Well, I hope you're happy because the cartel is going to send hitmen after me, my death will be on your head."

Your guy: "I can live with that." ACTUAL LINE OF DIALOG FROM THE GAME

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Nostradingus posted:

are you a fan of the knuckles pumpkin rap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukp1N4hI2Xg

Me IRL as soon as I hit play:

Gerblyn posted:

So Vampire Bloodlines turns to utter poo poo at the end. For the whole game you have all these tightly designed areas where you can approach problems from multiple directions and do all this cool role play stuff, then the last 2 areas are an endless slog through hundreds of bad guys where all you can do is spam attack until everything's dead. Also, you can't drink the blood of most of the enemies, so using powers suddenly stops being an option too. I ended up switching on God Mode because I just couldn't be bothered anymore. Then I kept getting lost in the endless, identical looking corridors in the skyscraper, so I turned on noclip, then I just said gently caress it and uninstalled the game.

It's a pity, because I really enjoyed it up until the boss in chinatown :( I guess I'll just look up the ending on youtube.

This is one of the things that seems endemic to that style of game: Deus Ex, System Shock 2, V:TM:BL, Human Revolution, they always seem to collapse under the weight of their own ambition and become a slog of linear combat dungeons, recycled assets, and balance issues.

Vampire Bloodlines had a particularly bad wrinkle where the Chinese dungeon not only had a boss that was pretty much impossible to beat without cheating but it had a physics-enabled door that even with the fanpatches you would pretty much have to noclip through thanks to the terrible state of the unsupported pre-HL2 Source engine the game is in.

MiddleOne posted:

Hbomb is dragging down Dark Souls for you?

It's the other way around for me, I liked him a lot more when he did quick zippy joke-filled videos about terrible internet people instead of feature-length armchair quarterbacking about how That Thing You Like Is Actually Objectively Bad and The Think You Dislike Is Actually Objectively Good.

scarycave posted:

I'll have you know that Shadow is actually one of the best characters in smash anime Tails Gets Trolled so your argument is invalid.

That Shadow is actually canon now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poRFjRKr4OI&t=78s

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

RyokoTK posted:

It certainly wouldn't have been necessarily free, but $15 for one character seems drat steep.

I think the Diablo 2 expansion launched for like fifty bucks? Two characters and a big bit of story content. So I mean if you break that into chunks I guess fifteen bucks about works out?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Yardbomb posted:

That actually sounds like some kind of blatant error that made it's way through anyway, what in the hell.

Wouldn't be the first game to give a poo poo ending for better percentage.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Nuebot posted:

I think the Diablo 2 expansion launched for like fifty bucks? Two characters and a big bit of story content. So I mean if you break that into chunks I guess fifteen bucks about works out?

Yeah but that wasn't 5-10 years ago. It was 16.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Guy Mann posted:

This is one of the things that seems endemic to that style of game: Deus Ex, System Shock 2, V:TM:BL, Human Revolution, they always seem to collapse under the weight of their own ambition and become a slog of linear combat dungeons, recycled assets, and balance issues.

I liked the final boss for Deus Ex. You have to go out of your way to three possible final areas depending on which ending you want. It's not a button press like in HR. You have to fully commit to a choice by doing poo poo.

Also, there's an encounter in the later half of the game where you're taking an elevator down a vertical tunnel and shooting at enemies and you can jump off near the end and goomba stomp a guy to death in the center.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Action Tortoise posted:

I liked the final boss for Deus Ex. You have to go out of your way to three possible final areas depending on which ending you want. It's not a button press like in HR. You have to fully commit to a choice by doing poo poo.

Also, there's an encounter in the later half of the game where you're taking an elevator down a vertical tunnel and shooting at enemies and you can jump off near the end and goomba stomp a guy to death in the center.

DX had some weird poo poo though. If you took the aug that blew up rockets before they reached you, but not the rest, you couldn't beat Simons because you would be killed by his plasma rifle splash damage because he would basically never miss you.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Guy Mann posted:

I think a decent chunk of it comes from the early game being intensely handcrafted to support whatever esoteric playstyle the player wants. Then it dawns on your development team that you've got another 2/3rd of a game to make, can't keep up that level of content and can't allocate time to a player who has all his points on Greek Underwater Basket Weaving and Mildly Offensive Chastising.

It's kinda justified because most people will be smart enough to not fall into that trap, but some people will inevitably fail to. Especially given that these games advertise themselves as You Can Do Anything, We're Not Like Those Other Shooters. Even if, practically, they ultimately have to be.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

DX had some weird poo poo though. If you took the aug that blew up rockets before they reached you, but not the rest, you couldn't beat Simons because you would be killed by his plasma rifle splash damage because he would basically never miss you.

I killed Simons by ditching him during our first possible fight and then using scramble grenades on the nearby mechs to distract him while I dragon toothed him to death.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

FactsAreUseless posted:

There are things I like about it, but I think it's the worst in the series. Doesn't make it irredeemably bad.

Someone in the Dark Souls thread in Games posted this a year or two ago, and I think it's really accurate: "Dark Souls 2 made the mistake of being a solid 7/10 game that follows up its 9/10 predecessor"

I hate a LOT about Dark Souls 2, but having gone through it all, it still has that great core to it. And it does improve on certain parts of 1 - particularly weapon smithing.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I think the worst thing about Deus Ex and Alpha Protocol is how stats affect shooting they way they do. HR did combat right by making the game more of an FPS and the skill points were used on weapon handling overall to improve weapon stability.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Len posted:

Wouldn't be the first game to give a poo poo ending for better percentage.
Muramasa Rebirth is like that too. Every single DLC character's alternate ending (which requires, iirc, beating all the bosses from the base game with them or something) is worse, both for them and in general, than the one you get by default by beating their stories.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Does the Steam port for Crazy Taxi not have "All I Want"?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Action Tortoise posted:

Does the Steam port for Crazy Taxi not have "All I Want"?

It doesn't have the classic soundtrack. It's pretty simple to put back in but it's just not the same.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I haven't played Diablo 3 since a couple seasons ago, and as the update ticks on, I'm dreading the influx of all the seasonal poo poo into my normal character's bank. I kinda forgot to clean it out before that season ended, so I know it's tons of dupes, etc.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
https://twitter.com/Keff_Japlan/status/879856384451457024

remember kids, if your stupid brain cant find out how to get around a character's trick, just whine about it until the developers hear you. Works every time. This is a problem I have more with multiplayer games in general, but Overwatch is a very good example of it. thanks WoW

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Gerblyn posted:

So Vampire Bloodlines turns to utter poo poo at the end.
IMO you can just do the side quests in Hollywood and stop there.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Nooo stay with it! the ending is great! yeah the gameplay gets bad but just wait and see what happens to the bad guy.
I hate all the endings.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

spit on my clit posted:

Remember kids, if your stupid brain cant find out how to get around a character's trick, just whine about it until the developers hear you. Works every time. This is a problem I have more with multiplayer games in general, but Overwatch is a very good example of it. thanks WoW

What did they do to Roadhog now? I was there when they made his hook chain have all the strength of a single spaghetti noodle, so it breaks when it tries to pull through or around anything whatsoever, like that was already miserable enough of a nerf and one of the things that's made me take a huge break from the game.

Also tiggum sucks as usual, Bloodlines has some good rear end endings.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

What did they do to Roadhog now? I was there when they made his hook chain have all the strength of a single spaghetti noodle, so it breaks when it tries to pull through or around anything whatsoever, like that was already miserable enough of a nerf and one of the things that's made me take a huge break from the game.

Also tiggum sucks as usual, Bloodlines has some good rear end endings.

Now it takes two shots to kill people instead of one. Literally broken, unplayable garbage apparently. It's hilarious seeing so many "top tier" road hog players throw fits over the fact that they apparently just for the life of them can not land more than one shot.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017
The ending of Bloodlines does kinda suffer from the same tonal issues that the rest of the game has. V:TM:B doesn't really know whether it wants to be a schlocky and sleazy B-movie or telling a self-serious grim story about the criminal underworld and the literal blood-sucking predators who profit from it.

To be fair to Troika, though, that's actually problem with the source material, which would be full of dark humor and pop culture references in one book and then a completely straight-faced attempt to try to explore and understand the suffering felt by the victims of the Holocaust in the next one (no, seriously).

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Nuebot posted:

Now it takes two shots to kill people instead of one. Literally broken, unplayable garbage apparently. It's hilarious seeing so many "top tier" road hog players throw fits over the fact that they apparently just for the life of them can not land more than one shot.

Looked at it myself a bit ago instead, 33% damage loss for a 30% fire rate boost is ridiculous bullshit. Their entire gimmick was pulling in small health pool assassins or supports and immediately blasting them, they already screwed up his ability to pull, why in the hell did they endeavor to ruin his actual killing power now too. They actually should be terrible now too with all of that being the case, his chain now breaks if it ebbs against anything at all, his damage has been crapped on, it feels like all he can do is give enemies their ults faster with less danger than ever. Like "Just shoot them one more time!" isn't that applicable when so many of his usual targets had and still have fast rear end get out of jail free moves.

Yardbomb has a new favorite as of 07:36 on Jun 28, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

Looked at it myself a bit ago instead, 33% damage loss for a 30% fire rate boost is ridiculous bullshit. Their entire gimmick was pulling in small health pool assassins or supports and immediately blasting them, they already screwed up his ability to pull, why in the hell did they endeavor to ruin his actual killing power now too. They actually should be terrible now too with all of that being the case, his chain now breaks if it ebbs against anything at all, his damage has been crapped on, it feels like all he can do is give enemies their ults faster with less danger than ever. Like "Just shoot them one more time!" isn't that applicable when so many of his usual targets had and still have fast rear end get out of jail free moves.

:shrug: Maybe now roadhog players have to be as aware of the game around them as everyone else instead of just wandering around in a daze getting free kills every few seconds while shrugging off damage and healing themselves.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Away all Goats posted:

Am I being a rose tinted entitled gamer or is that something that would have been free content like 5-10 years ago?

They've also added a couple of new zones. I'm not clear on whether you need to buy the Necromancer expansion to get those zones or not (I'm not playing the game at the moment).

Honestly though $15 is pretty good in my opinion if you still enjoy D3. They've only had one expansion ($20) and have been running the game and doing seasonal content and balance patches and new items for the three years since then without any microtransactions (in the west, at least).

Aside from that, I still hold some respect for Blizzard's reversal of their real money auction house and basically total revamp of the game back then. It was a huge mea culpa by a major publisher in a time when we were, and still are, surrounded by major publishers that poo poo out garbage rapid-fire for short-term cash at the expense of long-term respect of their customers, because they can get away with it. Blizzard could have taken the revenue from initial sales, written off the game for another decade, and moved on, or they could have done the revamp and added China's microtransactions to the game for their western audience, but they didn't do either.

I'm not saying Blizzard can do no wrong; far from it. But if I wasn't totally burned out on D3, I would buy the Necro expansion, no contest. There's a decent chance I'll want to play again some day, and if I do I'll probably buy the expansion then.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Away all Goats posted:

I guess you weren't around for Lord of Destruction? :shrug:

I'm being charitable to Blizzard here by assuming that they introduced some new game areas with the new class

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Nuebot posted:

Maybe now roadhog players have to be as aware of the game around them as everyone else instead of just wandering around in a daze getting free kills every few seconds while shrugging off damage and healing themselves.

Alternatively now he's just a nothing character with a gimmick that doesn't work, because some dummy caved a second time to players who were never aware of the game around them and wandered around in a daze getting hooked every few seconds. But this is a problem with the character killing them and not them you see. Stay tuned for the next character that's definitely broken because they dared to kill instalock assassin players too many times.

Also lol at the implication of "shrugging off damage" when even at his peak, he had a bad habit of being a massive target for people to build ult on and if he's trying to heal in your face, shoot his giant head.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Tiggum posted:

IMO you can just do the side quests in Hollywood and stop there.

I hate all the endings.

Well clearly you should listen to this guy he sounds totally right.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Nuebot posted:

:shrug: Maybe now roadhog players have to be as aware of the game around them as everyone else instead of just wandering around in a daze getting free kills every few seconds while shrugging off damage and healing themselves.

If you're getting killed by lovely roadhogs wandering around in a daze

maybe

your bad????

because you too have to be wandering around like a blind dummy for that to work more than once

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

Alternatively now he's just a nothing character with a gimmick that doesn't work, because some dummy caved a second time to players who were never aware of the game around them and wandered around in a daze getting hooked every few seconds.

The hilarity of talking poo poo on people for getting caught, while complaining about it being too hard to just catch people not at full health, or meleeing then shooting is amazing. :ironicat:

It's really hard to feel bad for roadhog players when the biggest complaint is that their character just isn't a big instant death meatwall that can solo-carry now.

Anyway, I'll stop talking about Overwatch because this is dumb and no one cares.

So here's something that drags down an old GBA Game instead; the Medabots GBA JRPG. The only good Medabots game that was brought overseas, it's pretty fun and I had a blast with it when it came out. But if you want to do all the side quests you basically need a guide because some of that poo poo is arcane, to the point where you need to be at specific zones during specific events to talk to specific NPCs, then show up on specific screens to trigger events that give you one of two post-game rewards. Otherwise you get nothing.

What bothers me, however, is that there are bosses you fight once or twice the whole game, as expected of bosses in games. Those bosses have a random chance to drop their parts, like most enemies. So, if you failed to get super lucky and have the last boss drop his whole set in one go? You're screwed. Not that there's many parts in the game better than the starting robot anyway, but still.

Nuebot has a new favorite as of 09:32 on Jun 28, 2017

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Nuebot posted:

The hilarity of talking poo poo on people for getting caught, while complaining about it being too hard to just catch people not at full health, or meleeing then shooting is amazing.

The Roadhog quick combo has always been pull, shoot, melee, it doesn't kill anywhere near reliably anymore, because playing around with it, his gun's so poo poo and inconsistent now because it had the gall to kill people point blank before.

Either way, do wait until it's someone you like playing that's become the new "problem" and then their entire kit gets invalidated, it's loving dumb to do this much to any character.

Yardbomb has a new favorite as of 10:59 on Jun 28, 2017

Gitro
May 29, 2013
After clean installing the latest drivers and loving about with a few other changes, I finally managed to get past the cutscene at the plane crash in TNO!

Then I buggered up the sprint slide a few times and died to the dog, aaaand it broke again. It strung me on just long enough to give me hope :negative:

e: I definitely won't kill myself with this grenade launcher. I've learned my lesson, I'll be careful. Oh no I didn't see that maggot right next to me, how could this have happened??

Gitro has a new favorite as of 11:55 on Jun 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I think Roadhog is in a better place now. He was easily the most popular tank pick previously, now there's more variety, which means the game is more fun, at least for me. Winston, Dva, Rein are more fun to play against anyway.