Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
No wonder everyone's so batshit insane if so many of them aren't using adblock.

It's like when I learned how many people who weren't Trump supporters were actually watching videos of Trump speeches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I'm hooked on these Defunctland videos and I never even been to Disney. They're really interesting and I love to see Disney gently caress up

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

It took me literally a minute to figure out the actual name Pick Me Ups

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Calaveron posted:

These unskippable 15 second twee and unbearable google commercials really make me want to not spend money on google

I Will Kill Google One Day

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I got you, fam

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Hector Delgado posted:

I'm hooked on these Defunctland videos and I never even been to Disney. They're really interesting and I love to see Disney gently caress up

pretty rare to see a dedicated michael eisner fan.

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

Taeke posted:

About a year ago I had a kid staying over that made these really cool Harry Potter wands out of knitting needles and clay and stuff, really creative and he was good at it. He used youtube videos as guides and inspiration, so for about a week it'd be like 2 hours of Harry Potter diy videos on repeat.

I think the Algorithm must've decided then I really, really love Harry Potter, connected that to Facebook, and for the past year or so 80% of the suggested posts and pages in my feed are Harry Potter related. (The other 20% are mostly asian and middle eastern street food, which I don't mind.)

It's always the dumbest fanfic poo poo you expect from the Harry Potter fanbase too. This is how each house would act during lockdown. This is what Snape would look like in the 80s. 10 reasons why Dobby would be the bestest president ever.

I've been trying to game the Algorithm a bit by engaging which stuff I don't actually mind, which is how I got the street food stuff, but the Harry Potter poo poo just. will. not. stop.

I thought you could just delete things from your watch history if you don't want them to affect your suggestions and stuff?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Put this in your watch history:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kMTHwjy6Z8

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

timefly posted:

I thought you could just delete things from your watch history if you don't want them to affect your suggestions and stuff?

I do that but I think it only works for youtube recommendations, which perfectly line up with what I actually watch and enjoy because I take care to keep my watch history clean. Hell, it even seems to take time of day into account. During the day it's mostly music, documentaries etc. and in the evening/at night it's mostly audiobooks and let's plays, which tracks with my viewing habits.

I honestly can't think of a different reason why Facebook thinks I'm obsessed with Harry Potter other than what I described. It's honestly really weird how hard it's pushing that poo poo and how bad the poo poo is it pushes. Like, the occasional Marvel stuff I see is at least somewhat interesting like news about the franchise or actors or whatever instead of the tumbler fanfic poo poo.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

handwich
https://youtu.be/CT37IyTJQy4

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
"MarketWatch used one of my tweets in their story without asking"

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
:yosnice:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

the holy poopacy posted:

We bought our first house earlier this year so there have been a lot of tools and stuff we've had to buy. The algorithm does an excellent job of serving up ads for things that we just bought. Not even general types of things, the specific item. If we just ordered a DeWalt power drill it doesn't serve up ads for competing power drills or other DeWalt tools, it gives us a week's worth of ads for DeWalt power drills. It's so specific as to be worthless.

I tried to find documentation for a niche product called Dell Boomi (lol whoever named it makes too much). Holy poo poo every loving ad for the next 2 months was for that shitpile.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Would actually be a pretty good name for an edibles brand.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Taeke posted:

I do that but I think it only works for youtube recommendations, which perfectly line up with what I actually watch and enjoy because I take care to keep my watch history clean. Hell, it even seems to take time of day into account. During the day it's mostly music, documentaries etc. and in the evening/at night it's mostly audiobooks and let's plays, which tracks with my viewing habits.

I honestly can't think of a different reason why Facebook thinks I'm obsessed with Harry Potter other than what I described. It's honestly really weird how hard it's pushing that poo poo and how bad the poo poo is it pushes. Like, the occasional Marvel stuff I see is at least somewhat interesting like news about the franchise or actors or whatever instead of the tumbler fanfic poo poo.

I kinda wonder if it's some sort of default thing because I'm also spammed with harry potter poo poo and I havent been interested in the series since I was like....in middle school?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Taeke posted:

About a year ago I had a kid staying over that made these really cool Harry Potter wands out of knitting needles and clay and stuff, really creative and he was good at it. He used youtube videos as guides and inspiration, so for about a week it'd be like 2 hours of Harry Potter diy videos on repeat.

I think the Algorithm must've decided then I really, really love Harry Potter, connected that to Facebook, and for the past year or so 80% of the suggested posts and pages in my feed are Harry Potter related. (The other 20% are mostly asian and middle eastern street food, which I don't mind.)

It's always the dumbest fanfic poo poo you expect from the Harry Potter fanbase too. This is how each house would act during lockdown. This is what Snape would look like in the 80s. 10 reasons why Dobby would be the bestest president ever.

I've been trying to game the Algorithm a bit by engaging which stuff I don't actually mind, which is how I got the street food stuff, but the Harry Potter poo poo just. will. not. stop.

Press three dots next to video name, select "don't recommend this again". Problem solved

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Xun posted:

I kinda wonder if it's some sort of default thing because I'm also spammed with harry potter poo poo and I havent been interested in the series since I was like....in middle school?

Yeah, Facebook seems to go through phases of interest without any apparent relationship with anything I'm talking about or looking up online. First it was Harry Potter, then Marvel movies, then horror, now it's easy dessert recipes. Since there's no way to tell it "quit with the Harry Potter listicles", I had to individually block every Harry Potter fanpage on Facebook before it got the message.

Advertisements, on the other hand, will target me with laser accuracy based on things I've mentioned verbally to my wife one time and never looked up online. Creeps me out every time.

Edit: VVVVVV I've had uBlock Origin installed for years and I'm not about to spend any more time keeping up with the latest in adblockery. It doesn't seem to work for Facebook feed ads, but I only notice them when I mention that we need to pick up new sheets next time we're at Costco and suddenly the next 5 ads are bedsheets.

Qylvaran has a new favorite as of 19:42 on Dec 1, 2021

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'd tell you all to get AdBlock, but if not thank you for your sacrifice

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Memento posted:

"MarketWatch used one of my tweets in their story without asking"

Lol but also charge yer drat phone

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

timefly posted:

It doesn't help. Hell, I've had watch history completely disabled for years so it only keys off my Liked videos, and I still get recommended trash including videos I've actively hit dislike, do not recommend, etc. There's no escaping the algorithm.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

SkyeAuroline posted:

It doesn't help. Hell, I've had watch history completely disabled for years so it only keys off my Liked videos, and I still get recommended trash including videos I've actively hit dislike, do not recommend, etc. There's no escaping the algorithm.

Youtube is like the Fallout 4 dialogue system:

Subscribe = Yes
Like = Yes
Dislike = Yes (sarcastic)
Report = Yes (reluctant)

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Alhazred posted:

I actually like this marketing move. It's fifty years since homosexuality was decriminalized in Norway and to celebrate that the mail service made a commercial about a man falling in love with Santa:
https://twitter.com/DMReporter/status/1463544981075988489

i love "come dancing" as a minced oath

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Qylvaran posted:

Yeah, Facebook seems to go through phases of interest without any apparent relationship with anything I'm talking about or looking up online. First it was Harry Potter, then Marvel movies, then horror, now it's easy dessert recipes. Since there's no way to tell it "quit with the Harry Potter listicles", I had to individually block every Harry Potter fanpage on Facebook before it got the message.

Advertisements, on the other hand, will target me with laser accuracy based on things I've mentioned verbally to my wife one time and never looked up online. Creeps me out every time.

Edit: VVVVVV I've had uBlock Origin installed for years and I'm not about to spend any more time keeping up with the latest in adblockery. It doesn't seem to work for Facebook feed ads, but I only notice them when I mention that we need to pick up new sheets next time we're at Costco and suddenly the next 5 ads are bedsheets.

I realise it's a trite, unhelpful thing to say but if you stop using Facebook, all of these problems will go away.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

There's an add-on called "Facebook container" which specifically blocks facebook from tracking you outside of facebook

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Fun fact: about 15 years ago Aussie mainstay Vegemite decided to release a new variant of its incredibly salty spread, with a cheese flavouring. They held a contest to determine the name of the new flavour. The winner?

After massive public backlash and buzz about what a poo poo name it was they changed it to a more sensible 'vegemite cheesybite', which made everyone wonder if it was some sort of new/classic coke marketing gambit to court attention.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
And meanwhile every single person I know just shook their head and said "license the loving Cheesymite brand off Baker's Delight and be done with it you colossal morons".

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Mescal posted:

i love "come dancing" as a minced oath

Oh, COME DANCING! Strictly COME DANCING! This is BALLROOM!

Quit being such a Great British Bake-off about it!

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Admittedly I did call you an E*stender, but in my defense I used a soft 'r'.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Memento posted:

And meanwhile every single person I know just shook their head and said "license the loving Cheesymite brand off Baker's Delight and be done with it you colossal morons".

Yeah but Baker's Delight would have asked for an absolute fortune I imagine.
And Kraft head office in America prolly wouldn't go for that

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cheddamite was right there.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

MrYenko posted:

Cheddamite was right there.
That sounds like an old timey slur

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Life sentence for cheddamy in the first degree.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

And lo, the Cheddamites did smite the Edamites, and the Emmentalites in their land, and pressed into the land of the Halloumi along the river Brie

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Thought I was in the MilHist thread for a second there.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Nothing worse than anti-cheddamites. Lactose intolerant assholes.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/EPCSheriff/status/1466893200962977794

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
This is nothing short of transcendent, the more you think about it the dumber it gets until it wraps around to amazing.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

🎶 So be good for goodness' sake 🎶

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Relevant context for those like me who weren't aware of it:
Just 3 days ago on Friday, a 15 year old in Michigan shot up his school and killed 4 classmates with the gun he got as an "early christmas gift" the weekend before.