Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

namaste faggots posted:

Where's that motherfucker who lost his oil job and had to move to Victoria

Too busy crying about his pay cut Actually I don't think he said he had another job, just he was moving lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Subjunctive posted:

Oh yeah, Alberta was always super excited to help other provinces freeze in the dark

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Maybe I'd have more sympathy for Alberta if their entire tax system in the boom days wasn't massively tilted in favour of the rich and oil companies.

So cry me a loving river about having no money.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Can we take a moment to talk about the part of that graph showing almost 80% of British Columbians think their province is respected :v:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Helsing posted:

Can we take a moment to talk about the part of that graph showing almost 80% of British Columbians think their province is respected :v:

Well yeah, it's the greatest place on Earth, everyone loves BC.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
How is Manitoba second?

Forgetting you exist is not the same as respect

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Risky Bisquick posted:

Too busy crying about his pay cut Actually I don't think he said he had another job, just he was moving lol

Ah yes now I remember. He did it ironically

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

After losing his job in July and moving to BC do it ironically now appears to exclusively post about pro wrestling and Hockey.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Helsing posted:

The Greatest Place On Earth™

e:fb

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Beat me to it. gently caress this province.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Hahaha of course he's a fan of pro wrestling looooooool

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Helsing posted:

In a question that asks if you're province is respected, makes sense to pool the 4 Atlantic provinces together.

Speaking of polls:

quote:

In a national polling partnership between CBC and the Angus Reid Institute, 68 per cent of Canadian respondents said minorities should be doing more to fit in with mainstream society instead of keeping their own customs and languages.

The same question was put to Americans, with only 53 per cent of respondents saying minorities need to better adjust.

quote:

Former B.C. premier and Liberal cabinet minister Ujjal Dosanjh has written and spoken extensively about the need to address concerns about equality, race and culture in the face of blind devotion to multiculturalism.

He said the poll shows Canada's political leadership needs to pay attention.

"What you want is creative multiculturalism, generous multiculturalism, but not unthinking or mindless multiculturalism where everything anybody brings to this country is acceptable," he said.

"Diversity is great if we can begin to live with each other in equality, in understanding ... but we also understand our collective obligations to building a better society. If we can't live together with each other properly and make concessions to each other, then this phrase that politicians use — that diversity is a strength — is nonsensical."

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/british-columbia/poll-canadians-multiculturalism-immigrants-1.3784194

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Why are we turning into such assholes in this country? I dont get it. I dont see this attitude around me, yet it seems to be so prevalent that I fear I live in a tiny bubble of ignorance.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The media likes to blow up the idea that HOARDS of extremely foreign immigrants are coming here with un-canadian values and refusing to adapt and in fact demanding we institute sharia law and we're only about 10 years out from this immigration resulting in the maple leaf replaced with a crescent moon due to the way they breed and how the left wants to give free housing to ever terrorist in the middle east.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Furnaceface posted:

Why are we turning into such assholes in this country? I dont get it. I dont see this attitude around me, yet it seems to be so prevalent that I fear I live in a tiny bubble of ignorance.

In a nutshell, I think it's the same thing that's happening in the States.

The fault line is between urban and rural people. Urban people are both used to living/working around minorities and seeing their wealth grow. We're more tolerant of them and generally satisfied with the direction of the country.

People in smaller towns are stagnant economically (the traditional small town factory jobs are gone) and frankly they are all pretty white places. New Canadians settle mostly in the cities, because (again) that's where the jobs are. So rural whites don't know any muslims, jews or even POC. They just aren't around.

So, you have rural folks hearing and seeing all this great 21st century multicultural lifestyle on TV but not in their own lives. They're being left behind and they're angry.

Reince Penis fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 3, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

The fault line is between urban and rural people. Urban people are both used to living/working around minorities and seeing their wealth grow. We're more tolerant of them and generally satisfied with the direction of the country.

People in smaller towns are stagnant economically (the traditional small town factory jobs are gone) and frankly they are all pretty white places. New Canadians settle mostly in the cities, because (again) that's where the jobs are. So rural whites don't know any muslims, jews or even POC. They just aren't around.

So, you have rural folks hearing and seeing all this great 21st century multicultural lifestyle on TV but not in their own lives. They're being left behind and they're angry.

But isn't Canada more urbanized than the US? Why would the numbers look like they do if it's an urban/rural split?

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Subjunctive posted:

But isn't Canada more urbanized than the US? Why would the numbers look like they do if it's an urban/rural split?

I think it's a 50/50 split roughly in both countries. Don't have time to look it up right now, so if someone want's to correct me feel free.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

I think it's a 50/50 split roughly in both countries. Don't have time to look it up right now, so if someone want's to correct me feel free.

That still doesn't explain the split, then.

E: in Canada in 2011 StatsCan says 81% urban, 19% rural.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Subjunctive posted:

Oh yeah, Alberta was always super excited to help other provinces.

Yeah. It totally was onboard with the NEP and wanted to make sure that other provinces could enjoy the wealth it accidentally achieved.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
The boomers become more conservative as they get older. As a whole, their kids are generally more tolerant, but they didn't have as many children as their parents did, who are still alive and extremely conservative for the most part. Susceptibility to media, which all their lives was considered benign (and whose role and approach to news has changed drastically towards fearmongering in the last 20 years) has made things worse. Reaction is always to something, whether an actual action or perceived action. They outnumber us, and soon we will pay for their racist retirements as our social systems wither away and we don't have kids of our own because we can't afford them. A wonderful destructive cycle.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Baronjutter posted:

The media likes to blow up the idea that HOARDS of extremely foreign immigrants are coming here with un-canadian values and refusing to adapt and in fact demanding we institute sharia law and we're only about 10 years out from this immigration resulting in the maple leaf replaced with a crescent moon due to the way they breed and how the left wants to give free housing to ever terrorist in the middle east.

Meanwhile, Vancouver is transforming into a Chinese colony.

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

I don't think you realize how self-masturbatory this post is. Like, really, take a step back and read it over again. You're painting yourself in the best possible light and The Enemy in the worst possible light.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Subjunctive posted:

That still doesn't explain the split, then.

E: in Canada in 2011 StatsCan says 81% urban, 19% rural.

Yeah i don't really want to argue about it but they have some weird ideas about what urban means.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/eng/subjects/standard/sgc/notice/sgc-06

If we only count population centers of 100,000 + that number drops to 58% and honestly I would really only count places of 500,000+.

Go ask someone in Peterborough (pop 116,000) if they consider themselves 'urban.'

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Brannock posted:

I don't think you realize how self-masturbatory this post is. Like, really, take a step back and read it over again. You're painting yourself in the best possible light and The Enemy in the worst possible light.

No, I know it. But it has nothing to do with me. I'm talking about what I think is driving rural, white discontent. You don't have to agree but I don't hear a different hypothesis.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Do we simply have fewer minorities or people of colour than the States, as a %?

Edit: (I don't mean to be lazy, I just can't look it up right now and sort through possibly two definitions of minority or person of colour in both countries)

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

No, I know it. But it has nothing to do with me. I'm talking about what I think is driving rural, white discontent. You don't have to agree but I don't hear a different hypothesis.

To be clear, you think that rural Canadians are discontented because they're missing out on the fun and parties of multiculturalism?

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Brannock posted:

Excellent!

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Brannock posted:

To be clear, you think that rural Canadians are discontented because they're missing out on the fun and parties of multiculturalism?

No. I think they're angry because people in the cities are getting richer and they're getting poorer. They're blaming immigrants because they make easy scapegoats, and they don't know any.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Brannock posted:

Chinese New Year parades and parties and beef noodle soup and xiaolongbao, bring it on

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Two points re: multiculturalism.

1. If I had to guess, and not having seen the internal breakdown of the poll, I'd say that Quebec probably distorts the numbers a fair bit and that if you did a comparison between the US and Anglophone Canadians then the numbers would be closer.

2. I''d also ask people to entertain a simple thought experiment. How strong a statistical relationship do you think there should be between someone's ethnicity and their choice of spouse or life-partner? Because at times it's not really clear how the ideology of multiculturalism (unless it's a very superficial kind of multiculturalism that reduces all "culture" to meaningless commercialized symbols like Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny) fits in with a genuinely integrated and pluralistic society. In practice, the way to maintain non-dominant religion, language or culture is rather straightforward: you use formal or informal measures to control who your children mingle with and ultimately reproduce with. Long term multiculturalism - unless it's just an empty slogan - would seem to suggest you're comfortable with various ethnic groups (and I include white Canadians here) using formal or informal measures to try and ensure their children stay within the dominant culture. Should that really be our semi-official state ideology?

For that matter, if you want to make it illegal to discriminate against gays and want mandatory sex ed classes and secular schooling and don't think anti-vaccers should be given free reign to turn their children into disease magnets then you're really supporting a rather shallow and meaningless version of "multiculturalism".

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Brannock posted:

I'm sure you'd have said the same thing about Nova Scotia turning into an African one during the 1830s and 1840s.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

CLAM DOWN posted:

Chinese New Year parades and parties and beef noodle soup and xiaolongbao, bring it on

I lived in mainland China. You're in for a rude awakening. It's more like anti-japanese riots, street making GBS threads and crass consumerism.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

CLAM DOWN posted:

Parties and food are good and all that, but somehow I doubt you'd be as blasé if it were Americans in Vancouver government working towards American interests over Canadian ones.

OSI bean dip posted:

I'm sure you'd have said the same thing about Nova Scotia turning into an African one during the 1830s and 1840s.

You're really going to draw a comparison between fuerdai and people fleeing slavery?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Brannock posted:

Parties and food are good and all that, but somehow I doubt you'd be as blasé if it were Americans in Vancouver government working towards American interests over Canadian ones.

I'm joking, lighten up.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

CLAM DOWN posted:

Beef noodles are a recent invention by Chiang kai shek who believed the awesome and crazy trope that advanced societies consumed more protein and thus invented the dish to stimulate the Taiwanese (republic of China) beef industry.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm joking, lighten up.

Did you know in Chinese there's 100 words for gulag but no word for laughter? Really makes you think...

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Brannock posted:

white people have only been crying about this for about 100 years

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
By the way, did any of you ever have mainlanders as TAs or profs? Ever tried to get one to admit they were wrong or made a mistake? Lmao if you did

Only the Indians are worse than the Chinese when it comes to the culture of saving face

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Helsing posted:

1. If I had to guess, and not having seen the internal breakdown of the poll, I'd say that Quebec probably distorts the numbers a fair bit and that if you did a comparison between the US and Anglophone Canadians then the numbers would be closer.

2. I''d also ask people to entertain a simple thought experiment. How strong a statistical relationship do you think there should be between someone's ethnicity and their choice of spouse or life-partner? Because at times it's not really clear how the ideology of multiculturalism (unless it's a very superficial kind of multiculturalism that reduces all "culture" to meaningless commercialized symbols like Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny) fits in with a genuinely integrated and pluralistic society. In practice, the way to maintain non-dominant religion, language or culture is rather straightforward: you use formal or informal measures to control who your children mingle with and ultimately reproduce with. Long term multiculturalism - unless it's just an empty slogan - would seem to suggest you're comfortable with various ethnic groups (and I include white Canadians here) using formal or informal measures to try and ensure their children stay within the dominant culture. Should that really be our semi-official state ideology?

For that matter, if you want to make it illegal to discriminate against gays and want mandatory sex ed classes and secular schooling and don't think anti-vaccers should be given free reign to turn their children into disease magnets then you're really supporting a rather shallow and meaningless version of "multiculturalism".

"shallow multiculturalism" is actually a pretty solid and concise summary of Canadian identity and culture.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Helsing posted:

Canada has one of the highest rates of interracial and interreligious marriage in the world. I think thats why I find this so troubling since I assumed that, by and large, we had moved past this kind of thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

namaste faggots posted:

Beef noodles are a recent invention by Chiang kai shek who believed the awesome and crazy trope that advanced societies consumed more protein and thus invented the dish to stimulate the Taiwanese (republic of China) beef industry.

No way, I actually didn't know that. I loving love that soup.