Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

LinkesAuge posted:

The original theme will already be "undermined" in your point of view because the Empire is reliant on someone like Jeyn's Dad instead of being this untouchable and arrogant force. Not saying that I'm a fan of the idea of him including this design flaw but you can talk it away just like you do with C3PO and the prequels (just that this time the Empire's arrogance/failure would be to not notice that someone like Jeyn's Dad introduced such a design flaw).

It's a different kind of arrogance, one that's not nearly as attractive from a thematic standpoint. It would really over-complicate things in an unnecessary way, like the worst of the EU did.

I don't really feel like arguing the point though, since I'm pretty sure most people would intuitively agree with me anyway that it's a bad idea.

rear end Catchcum posted:

Nah it's a pretty big coincidence that c3po and r2 happened to know our heroes before. Not everything needs to be connected.

It's really not much of a coincidence at all, actually. I just made a big long post about it.

At this point people are just complaining that the droids were in the prequels at all. Even though it was basically common knowledge that that would be the case ever since Lucas first started talking publicly about prequels in like 1980 or whatever. They were always the two characters who were going to be in every movie, connecting the trilogies together, witnessing all the major galaxy-changing events from the lowliest position in society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

rear end Catchcum posted:

Nah it's a pretty big coincidence that c3po and r2 happened to know our heroes before. Not everything needs to be connected.
If a family friend knows me, it's not a coincidence that he also knows my dad. He knows me because he knew my dad.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

the prequels are garbage

Serf
May 5, 2011

romanowski posted:

the prequels are garbage

Would you look at that, a new opinion that we've never heard before!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

romanowski posted:

the prequels are garbage

You've changed my mind!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

romanowski posted:

the prequels are garbage

Nah; they're actually great films.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

romanowski posted:

the prequels are garbage

They're no good

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ch5ZCGi0PQ

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Cnut the Great posted:

It's a different kind of arrogance, one that's not nearly as attractive from a thematic standpoint. It would really over-complicate things in an unnecessary way, like the worst of the EU did.

You mean like the prequels did with C3PO? It's a circular argument at this point because tings like "attractive from a thematic standpoint" are highly subjective and in one case you give it additional meaning while in the other its overcomplicating things in an unnecessary way. That's kind of arbitrary.

quote:

I don't really feel like arguing the point though, since I'm pretty sure most people would intuitively agree with me anyway that it's a bad idea.

The argument wasn't about people to agree with you it's a bad idea (I think so too), it's about different standards for a very similar situation.

quote:

It's really not much of a coincidence at all, actually. I just made a big long post about it.

At this point people are just complaining that the droids were in the prequels at all. Even though it was basically common knowledge that that would be the case ever since Lucas first started talking publicly about prequels in like 1980 or whatever. They were always the two characters who were going to be in every movie, connecting the trilogies together, witnessing all the major galaxy-changing events from the lowliest position in society.

The droids don't connect anything at all. They are window dressing in the prequels and treated that way. Cut them out of the prequels and literally nothing is lost. There are enough characters to "connect" the two trilogies with Anakin/Darth Vader, Obi-Wan, Yoda and a few others, the droids weren't really needed, they are fan service which was shoehorned into the prequels. To me that isn't as bad as some people make it out to be, I can afterall ignore it, but don't pretend like their inclusion served an actual purpose or has some kind of deep meaning.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

LinkesAuge posted:

The droids don't connect anything at all. They are window dressing in the prequels and treated that way. Cut them out of the prequels and literally nothing is lost. There are enough characters to "connect" the two trilogies with Anakin/Darth Vader, Obi-Wan, Yoda and a few others, the droids weren't really needed, they are fan service which was shoehorned into the prequels. To me that isn't as bad as some people make it out to be, I can afterall ignore it, but don't pretend like their inclusion served an actual purpose or has some kind of deep meaning.

The droids have to be in every single Lucas Star Wars film because he considered their POV to be incredibly important. Using them as the jumping off point for the audience was one of the core ideas of A New Hope, and to drop that would be against the spirit of what Lucas himself considered Star Wars.

Now, we could argue all day about the specific way he decided to include them in the prequel trilogy, but their presence is a lot more than just simple fan service.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

LinkesAuge posted:

The fact that Anakin built C3PO as a companion, not a slave, is an important part of establishing his character.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

romanowski posted:

the prequels are garbage

Care to elaborate?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I liked The Force Awakens

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

I liked The Force Awakens

I also liked The Force Awakens, but liked it more when it was called A New Hope.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

homullus posted:

I also liked The Force Awakens, but liked it more when it was called A New Hope.

such an original and well developed opinion

Serf
May 5, 2011

Phi230 posted:

Oh? Do you have any new insights to share, Tezzor?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Serf posted:

Oh? Do you have any new insights to share, Tezzor?

TFA is good, and I'm tired of contrarian nerds going around w/ that argument

nobody gives a gently caress

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Phi230 posted:

Is this for real? Have you unplugged from reality? You are the ultimate contrarian nerd

Serf
May 5, 2011

Phi230 posted:

I hate to say this, but clearly you do

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Phi230 posted:

Yeah, that's true. They kinda had to do it that way though. I mean, there's a lot of risk with relaunching a property. I think the next movies will deviate and get more original now that they've proved the market is there.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

UmOk posted:

Is this for real? Have you unplugged from reality? You are the ultimate contrarian nerd

uh no, the vast majority of people hate or are indifferent to the prequels. This is one of the only places I have ever seen where anybody is sympathetic to that poo poo

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Phi230 posted:

uh no, the vast majority of people hate or are indifferent to the prequels. This is one of the only places I have ever seen where anybody is sympathetic to that poo poo

To be fair your places sample is probably biased. If you go around looking at the comments sections of Prequel clips on Youtube (I don't actually recommend doing this), for example, you'll probably find lots of positive stuff from kids who grew up with them, etc. And I sense that there's a lot of ancillary affection for stuff like Clone Wars. To a lot of fans, especially the younger ones, I don't known if there's quite as strong a distinction made between OT and PT material.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

porfiria posted:

To be fair your places sample is probably biased. If you go around looking at the comments sections of Prequel clips on Youtube (I don't actually recommend doing this), for example, you'll probably find lots of positive stuff from kids who grew up with them, etc. And I sense that there's a lot of ancillary affection for stuff like Clone Wars. To a lot of fans, especially the younger ones, I don't known if there's quite as strong a distinction made between OT and PT material.

pretty sure the young 'fans' think the OT are the "most boringest" anyway.

Young people don't like old movies in general

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Phi230 posted:

pretty sure the young 'fans' think the OT are the "most boringest" anyway.

Young people don't like old movies in general

Whining about kids and young """fans""" who don't hate the PT/"appreciate" the OT as much as you do.

God, you're pathetic.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Equeen posted:

Whining about kids and young """fans""" who don't hate the PT/"appreciate" the OT as much as you do.

God, you're pathetic.

its true that the average young person can't stand older movies

it has to do with the pacing

but keep getting so buttmad its working out great for you

also like the narcissistic rage where you think I'm whining because your feelings are hurt

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Nov 15, 2016

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

But, no, really, I did like TFA. I didn't say that just as setup for a punchline about its unoriginal chunks, and the things I liked most, aside from the ridiculously good production design, were the deviations from ANH. The nascent bromance (or romance??) between Finn and Poe was my favorite. Or maybe the interesting direction they went with Kylo Ren, easily the biggest risk the movie took, since for once the sole quality of the evil lazerswordman wasn't "looks menacing." No Darth Maul or Vader, just a troubled young man in a mask that clearly echoes Anakin. Star Wars fans go gaga for the menacing bad guys and this movie didn't have one.

I was pretty disappointed that they didn't spread that IP creativity anywhere else in the film, though.

Serf
May 5, 2011

the age old question of the Star Wars thread: do you engage with Tezzor because they are so easily owned and riled up or do you ignore Tezzor because they just poo poo up the thread with whiny nonsense

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Phi230 posted:

its true that the average young person can't stand older movies

it has to do with the pacing

but keep getting so buttmad its working out great for you

also like the narcissistic rage where you think I'm whining because your feelings are hurt

Like I'm sorry dude your post seemed needlessly dismissive, and you have a history of insulting people who have the Wrong OpinionsTM on the PT.

Serf posted:

the age old question of the Star Wars thread: do you engage with Tezzor because they are so easily owned and riled up or do you ignore Tezzor because they just poo poo up the thread with whiny nonsense

I don't want to own Tezzor Jr., I just can't imagine getting salty over the possibility of kids liking both the OT and PT.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women

Serf posted:

Option B is the only thing that people who aren't circular argument loving dipshits pick. I don't like the prequels, but what the gently caress do you care? I mean, some people do I guess, but they shouldn't. I think they're interesting in spite of how boring they are to physically watch, but why would I care that someone thinks they're high art? Any time someone makes an inflammatory comment, they're trying to get you to be an internet badass because it's funny, so just leave it be.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

homullus posted:

I was pretty disappointed that they didn't spread that IP creativity anywhere else in the film, though.

15 years of PT whining and RLM parroting will do that to you.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Serf posted:

Definitely #1. If Tezzors weren't filling up the thread with nonsense how would I kill time at work?

I don't ever do the owning though, I just enjoy the show.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Lol if any of you think this thread isnt a hell where we circle the drain forever

RO will come out and well talk about it for like 3 weeks then the cycle starts over again

This thread is samsara and we are all the ugly hungry ghosts

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Have some more promo material from a prequel made in the same decade as Episode VII, thus ensuring everyone's hatred:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh8sTR2b4zI

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Prequels gonna go 4-for-4 on goodness

e: to throw some fuel on the "Jyn is definitely going to be Rey's mom" fire, she was born after the start of the Clone Wars, so she's at most 22 in Rogue One and at most 3 years older than Luke and Leia.

Zoran fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 15, 2016

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Serf posted:

I personally engage because I like it when Tezzor/not-Tezzor actually talks about the films. I have learned *~stuff~* from this thread and talking about the films and reading others' thoughts about the films' forms and content is good times! :)
Edit: seriously, it's me, I am the one who thought the discussion of whether the OT exhibited nostalgia for feudalism was interesting

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I think Rogue One is going to be a better star wars movie than TFA.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Freakazoid_ posted:

I think Rogue One is going to be a better star wars movie than TFA.

I'm thinking so as well, and I really liked TFA. It seems like its gonna have a lot of grit, and I have a strong hope they play up Vader as a true monster like Terminator or Alien.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Here's something that is simultaneously a) mind-blowing and b) not even surprising on an atomic level:

http://www.vulture.com/2016/11/carrie-fisher-says-she-slept-with-harrison-ford.html?mid=twitter_vulture

This just makes The Empire Strikes Back ascend from its already lofty place atop the pantheon of greatest movies, to an even greater height that was until now unknown. All that chemistry, anger, sexual frustration... it was all real. And, as a cherry on top, it explains this lovely kiss:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Jewmanji posted:

Here's something that is simultaneously a) mind-blowing and b) not even surprising on an atomic level:

http://www.vulture.com/2016/11/carrie-fisher-says-she-slept-with-harrison-ford.html?mid=twitter_vulture

This just makes The Empire Strikes Back ascend from its already lofty place atop the pantheon of greatest movies, to an even greater height that was until now unknown. All that chemistry, anger, sexual frustration... it was all real. And, as a cherry on top, it explains this lovely kiss:

People loving does not make a movie good. It's actually creepy as gently caress that an almost 40 Ford is getting barely legal girls drunk and convincing them to sleep with them.

• Locked thread