Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Lobok posted:

QUESTION:
Is there a comic book movie from the Big Two that has pulled from comics released as close to the movie as Black Panther? The Ta-Nehisi Coates / Brian Stelfreeze run on Panther is an obvious influence on the movie and those issues only started coming out in the summer of 2016.
S.H.I.E.L.D. is really Hydra was revealed in Secret Warriors #1 in 2009, and was used in Winter Soldier in 2014.

There's also all the Planet Hulk elements in Thor: Ragnarok. The story was published from 2006 till 2007.

Kavita Rao and the mutant cure showed up in Astonishing X-Men in 2004, then was used in X-Men: The Last Stand in 2006.

I'm not sure you'll get anything closer than the TNC Black Panther, really, just because of the nature of movie scriptwriting.

For real, though, the bunker scene in Winter Soldier made me say "Holy poo poo!" out loud just because of how out of left field it was, particularly considering how recent the storyline was in comics.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Feb 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

twistedmentat posted:

If I remember correctly isn't it the first indication that time was broken due to like...everything?

That sure went somewhere.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Age of Ultron, the crossover starring Ultron that's almost completely lacking in Ultron.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Not Big Two, but Scott Pilgrim’s last volume released within a week or two as the movie. They hit mostly the same beats from very different directions.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Inkspot posted:

Not Big Two, but Scott Pilgrim’s last volume released within a week or two as the movie. They hit mostly the same beats from very different directions.

That's a lot more common though. Kick-rear end came out about a month after the comic finished.

Some comics that haven't even been written yet have been made into movies.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/CBR/status/968523112764592129

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

That's a lot more common though. Kick-rear end came out about a month after the comic finished.

Some comics that haven't even been written yet have been made into movies.

Like the immortal classic Cowboys vs Aliens!

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Huh, something involving BKV that doesn't interest me in the least, I wasn't sure that was a thing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

They'd need to have like, Denis Villeneuve directing for me to even think this could be good. And even then, it'd have that trademark FOX cheapness to the visuals.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm probably just a total idiot but why on earth are they still announcing stuff

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Cos the big deal's not gone through yet and look at all these amazing highly profitable projects we've got lined up

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Man, they're really gonna try and make Shazam happen. More power to WB.

https://twitter.com/BatmanNewsCom/status/968536038154096642

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

There's going to be an extreme close-up of him removing a hood that doesn't hide his face in the least.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

RevKrule posted:

Man, they're really gonna try and make Shazam happen. More power to WB.

https://twitter.com/BatmanNewsCom/status/968536038154096642

We're absolutely sure that's not Gaston cosplay?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I thought they were calling him Captain Marvel.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They were teasing the idea of doing it but they are absolutely not going to do that. Marvel's version of the character is arguably better-known by the name at this point, and Shazam and Captain Marvel are coming out within like a month of each other, so changing the name back would be a merchandising nightmare. Also related to merchandising, just for brand recognition you probably want the name of the superhero to be the same as the name of the movie.

Also, again, it'd be a pretty dick move.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/968576621220331520?s=19

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Groot is dead. Long live Groot.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

RIP to the fallen.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Of course OG Groot is dead. It always kind of baffles me that people don’t grok that. Rocket literally says “But...you’ll die”.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Arist posted:

They were teasing the idea of doing it but they are absolutely not going to do that. Marvel's version of the character is arguably better-known by the name at this point, and Shazam and Captain Marvel are coming out within like a month of each other, so changing the name back would be a merchandising nightmare. Also related to merchandising, just for brand recognition you probably want the name of the superhero to be the same as the name of the movie.

Oh, I know the movie's still called Shazam, but I thought the character would be Captain Marvel.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Can't wait to see dr. Shivana give someone piss to drink and a crying captain matvel snap black adam's neck.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Arist posted:

Plus they'd get sued. By Disney's lawyers.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
They will probably call him Captain at some point.

Bonus points if he starts to say his name Captain M... and is suddenly interrupted by something or someone.

And also didn't Marvel just reference him in their Avengers book where all of the Captain Marvel's ended up with a reality stone.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Dexo posted:

And also didn't Marvel just reference him in their Avengers book where all of the Captain Marvel's ended up with a reality stone.

Yeah, it was as close a reference as they can make without showing him outright. The costume was basically the same with a couple color changes.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
New THR article on Fox’s Marvel plans has some interesting tidbits, including BKV developing a Silver Surfer movie and X-Force seemingly confirmed as the dated-but-unrevealed November 2019 Fox Marvel release (as it’s slated to begin production by the end of the year).

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/will-disney-disrupt-foxs-x-men-movie-mega-plans-1088623

I still don’t expect anything to exit development hell before the merger clears, save for X-Force and Gambit, and very likely not even the latter given that it’s already been through three directors.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That Shazam picture makes me so goddamned happy.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Even when I was a kid he was Shazam.

But its nice the costume has colour. I'm sure they'll fix that in post though.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Unsurprisingly, Batgirl has reportedly been back-burnered post-Whedon, not that it was likely ever really on the front burner.

At this point, the only upcoming DCEU films that I'm convinced actually exist are Aquaman (in post-production), Shazam (currently filming), and Wonder Woman 2 (no-brainer after the first film's success). I'll believe otherwise when full pre-production actually starts on anything else.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I really wonder how Aquaman is going to turn out. I feel like it’ll either be a trash fire or just alright, and I don’t think an alright DC movie that isnt Wonder Woman has enough hype to carry it past flopdom.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Several claim that JL2 is still moving ahead but lol.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i hope the roxane gay penned batgirl starring janelle monae gets off the ground

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

i hope the roxane gay penned batgirl starring janelle monae gets off the ground

I'm still annoyed that Jenna Malone was retconned/reshot into not being Barbara Gordon in BvS.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I really wonder how Aquaman is going to turn out. I feel like it’ll either be a trash fire or just alright, and I don’t think an alright DC movie that isnt Wonder Woman has enough hype to carry it past flopdom.

Supposedly they just recently did a test screening that turned out really well. This far out though you have to imagine there was a lot of temp effects that could look terrible in the completed film.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Even when I was a kid he was Shazam.

But its nice the costume has colour. I'm sure they'll fix that in post though.

Billy was only renamed Shazam in 2012.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

Billy was only renamed Shazam in 2012.

He hasn't been Captain Marvel on the cover of a comic in 3 decades.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Ive always known him as the big red cheese.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Hootington posted:

Ive always known him as the big red cheese.

His best nickname.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The other big movies this December look to be Bumblebee: A Transformers Story and Mary Poppins 2: Pop Harder, so it will probably do well if there's nothing else up against it. No Star Wars movie this Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rhyno posted:

He hasn't been Captain Marvel on the cover of a comic in 3 decades.

I literally had a viewmaster reel of Shazam when I was a kid in the early 80s that straight referred to him as Shazam.

• Locked thread