Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

the walkin dude posted:

With the Daytona, I don't sit perfectly straight I sit up straight, and is the most comfy handlebar, with the most control/leverage, that I've come across. I'm 6'4'' with a long torso so. It makes city riding a blast, especially with ProGrip 724's on them.

Bikemaster Daytona
29.2'' width 5.36'' rise 3'' pullback

Stock N bar
26'' width 2'' rise 4.5'' pullback

That'd be real nice. Do you still run with a bar-end weight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

That'd be real nice. Do you still run with a bar-end weight?

I'm assuming it's not the same for bars as it is with clipons, but both of my bar ends fell off of my bike after I highsided and it is seriously horrible going for a ride that's longer than 15 minutes.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
I used to, but there's now bar-end mirrors in place. I'll be putting Tuono mirrors on and taking them off. My grips seem to do a good job of absorbing vibratins as far as I can tell though.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
My current set up

Tuono mirors, with CRG mini mirror on the left handle, and one of those CRG adapters attached on the right as a bar-end.

It's been a while since I had stalk mirrors, and those are great mirrors. As expected, they give me a good view of my rear and to the sides. A++++ My SV looks adorable now, with them, and that's a huge plus!

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

New rearsets: terrible.

Worst design ever. Feet naturally want to go where they aren't supposed to and supporting hardware isn't long enough to properly shift. To be worth anything, the arm needs to be nearly flush with the shifter peg. As it stands with these installed, it's impossible to access any of the controls. What were they thinking designing poo poo like this?

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Can't you adjust the pegs? Looks like you can detach them and adjust them upon the gear thingy.

edit: I'm guessing you already did and they still suck rear end at positioning.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

The adjustment part is cool, but the problem is that the peg needs to be flush with the shifter otherwise you can't access the controls. My feet naturally want to rest on top of that arm and it's forcing my feet out another 1 or 2". If they removed the whole spring-loaded joint and brought it in they'd be perfect.

Gonna just try a 2" higher seat and hope my center of gravity isn't absolutely retarded. :smith:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
If you don't like them as is, bring them by and we'll try and fix them up a bit :)

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I'm down! Well, literally, too. I'll head up next time you're free and we can figure out how to salvage these. :)

Oh yeah, I changed my sticker because I didn't want kids to be offended when reading it

a bit big unfortunately but this way I'm not limiting my target demographic to individuals with decent eyesight, such as the non-elderly

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I'm not sure what it says about me but I think hail satan is funny and what you had there before was not

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 21, 2012

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

i'm not sure what it says about me but i think hail satan is funny and what you had there before was not

Agreed.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Cf. the Big Bird alphabet song remixed by the.wubmachine.com.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I prefer Bitches Ain't poo poo because to me it sounds like something you'd name a world war bomber or a race horse, and it has a lot of pertinence because it basically was a summary of my last lovely relationship that left my best friend a heroin addict. But I felt kind of dirty riding (oh god the puns) with it since most people would take it the wrong way.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
I liked Bitches Ain't poo poo. :allears:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

If I'm contemplating higher bars, new seat, luggage, windscreen, etc...am I dumb to muck around with my SV650 instead of just getting a V-Strom?

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

Pounding away since 1984.
You can do what this guy did, but I would probably just get a touring bike.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Well the r6 throttle tube took me about 30 seconds to put on but I need some help with the rest, what tools do I need for:

Change windshield - Do I have to take the entire fairing off? Grommets!
Change gear shift lever Circlip Pliers.

Also, what can I do for this?

The new lever doesnt fit in there.

Tenchrono fucked around with this message at 07:06 on May 23, 2012

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ooooh, there.

You shouldn't need circlip pliers to change the shift lever...can you take a picture of where you'd need them?

Compare the 2 clutch levers, and yes, you can sand down the lever to make it fit. Do not sand down the perch though, leave the OEM stuff OEM. :)

To change the windshield you'll need to remove the "dashboard" around the gauges and then you should be able to get access to the grommets behind it. Been awhile since I've taken one of those apart...

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Well I got everything on but the clutch and brake levers. There was a snap ring holding the gear shift on and I didnt have needle nose pliers.

the windshield I just took the rubber grommets out, pulled the windshield out and did it in reverse with the new one. I guess im filing down the lever now, will report back.

Edit: :getin:

Tenchrono fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 23, 2012

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Huh, interesting...I seem to recall them being secured by a shouldered allen bolt but I must be mis-remembering or something.

I offered the suggestion of removing the dash panel because I figured the grommets were spinning behind it...if you can pull it off without removing it, all the better :)

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Got everything on finally. Im going to order some other levers though than the cheapo ebay ones I have.

Also R6 tube is awesome.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

This probably belongs more here as its (mostly) questions about parts and poo poo.
Anyways I am looking at SV650 right now and found a salvage dealership close to where I live and they have a few SVs in their lot.

2007 black naked SV650 pictures with damage.

- Missing rear break leveler peg.

- Some fixable rash

- Missing both barends and mirrors.

- Missing feet holder on the clutch side.

- Huge rear end crack on the steering head, might be aftermarket or from the SV650S as they are lower bars.

- Some rash here and there I didn't take pictures of.

Good things:
- Newer, tires also look new.
- Parts will cost less, but may be a bitch to fix.

2004 blue naked SV650 Pictures follow

- Cracked headlight assembly, missing gauges.

- Bent brake leveler.

- Also tires have probably less than a season on them.

Good things:
- May be able to negotiate a better price since its older.
- Probably a more expensive fix, but may also be easier.

Anyways my more bike inclined friend will go with me at a later date and we will gauge wich one is the better one.

Thoughts?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Check the date codes on the tires.

Either of those could be fixable, I'd probably go with the second one.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Z3n posted:

Check the date codes on the tires.

Either of those could be fixable, I'd probably go with the second one.

I talked to two biker buddies of mine and they lean towards the first one. But they have agreed to come with me to the dealership, take a look at the bikes then doggy pile on the sales rep and get a better deal.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ElMaligno posted:

I talked to two biker buddies of mine and they lean towards the first one. But they have agreed to come with me to the dealership, take a look at the bikes then doggy pile on the sales rep and get a better deal.

Why? I'd avoid the first one because if it took a hit big enough to break the ignition mount up, everything is suspect on it. That's not a particularly easy part to break. Damage on both sides means the bike went down a lot harder or multiple times.

Also, the first one is an S model converted to an N, which is further suspicious, as that usually happens when someone crashes the S model and can't find fairings. The second one is a proper N model which has a much better street seating position, would be cheaper, and the damage is relatively superficial. The engines are solid so you don't really need to worry too much about mileage.

Of course, I'd want to make sure they start and run, would check the oil (at least that it has oil in it) and the condition of the chain, but that's why I'd lean towards the second one over the first.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
My 06 N started tripping the red light and FI code when cruising in 6th. Bike drives normal until I coast down and it idles at 4500ish RPM. A restart makes it go away. Googling shows me some other SV riders with the same issues, pointing at secondary throttle position sensor/STV butterflies.

Anyone had this? Am I a bad human being if I just totally ignore it out of laziness and hope it goes away?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

What code are you getting when you pull it?

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
I didn't pull the code yet since I am a lazy and toolless at the moment, I just have red light and FI. I'm just web-MDing my diagnosis based on someone else on the internet with the exact same problem who did pull his code and had it point at secondary STVA.

It only happens cruising in 6th, which means if it weren't for the light I would have no idea it happened until I came to a stop and the bike was still idling at 4500. And of the four times it's happened so far the restart has cured it immediately.

The Saboteur
Dec 25, 2005
My good friend Fink bought me this account for Christmas because he kicks ass.
So I'm sort of convinced something on my front end isn't aligned right. Please forgive the rest of this, as I am not the most mechanically inclined. I'll try and follow up with photos tomorrow when it's light out.

I bought the bike used, and aftermarket bars had been put on. When I look at the bike top down, it seems that relative to the forks, my left grip is closer to me than the right.

To my knowledge the bike hasn't been down - so could this be something with the suspension not being even (one side more cranked down than the other)?

Are there any tell-tale signs to tell me if the bike isn't riding evenly on the front tire?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Are you sure the bars aren't slightly bent?

Having bent forks is no joke; if you feel that they are screwed, then take them to a mechanic.

The Saboteur
Dec 25, 2005
I'm not, no. I will have to check more carefully.

Not sure if it's in my head either, but it seems like the bike fights left turns more so than the right. Pushing right leans me over right into a right turn, I have to really force it to get the same lean on my left side.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

It's easy to get bike forks aligned poorly when reassembling and get them cocked sideways. Loosen the triple trees and the front axle and check to see if you can straighten them out.

The Saboteur
Dec 25, 2005
Thanks for the tip - is there a guide anywhere out there for doing this? I tried scouring the svrider forums but I'm not turning anything up.

[EDIT]

So I found this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRzdXE2aTOY

Do I need to back out the nuts and bolts all the way, or simply just loosen them and make sure they are tightened evenly?

The Saboteur fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 26, 2012

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Just pull your bike up next to a telephone pole and bang the front tire against it until the forks twist back into alignment.

Of you can jack it up, loosen everything, and tighten it again if you want.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFV7ZJrORWw

You can see him go through the process in the comments.

The Saboteur
Dec 25, 2005

Z3n posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFV7ZJrORWw

You can see him go through the process in the comments.

This is perfect, thanks Z3n.

By the way - you recommended an SV650 for me as a second bike. Your post started a series of events that ended with me purchasing a 2003 naked, which I'm now in love with. So thanks for that too.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
How well does the naked SV headlight perform? Good? Bad? Could do better?

Bandit's use the same reflector and I'm wondering what to expect.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

It's about as good as any other bucket headlight I've used. Not great and not terrible. Certainly not bad enough where I really give much of a poo poo, but I'm not carving unlit backroads in the dark, either.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Went to see the SV650 again today, this time however i brought a friend with me. We pretty much found out that the older blue one was more busted than we thought. The headlight housing brackets where bent, the rear AND front tires are pretty much done and the slip-on exhaust it currently has installed is not street legal. Which skyrocketed the cost of fixing the bike.

The younger black one is still a SV650S into SV650, the front suspension is still good, the rest of the triple tree assembly looks good. The overall amount of parts I need to get to make it street legal again is staggering but will not be as costly as the other SV. I need, the top of the triple tree, front foot pegs, rear break lever, front break lever, mirrors (probably Tuono), get an used OEM slip-on exhaust for cheap, bigger amber turn signals (its not legal unless they are big and amber) and move the licence plate holder a little bit more to the back since it needs to be visible. All in all the owner agreed on 2700 on cash and to hold onto the bike, even with all the parts and poo poo it still within my budget... Or...

Get this one and learn to deal with carbs and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

2700 for an SV you have to put that much work into seems pretty steep. 3200 got me an 07 with ABS in almost perfect shape.

In other news I decided to go sit on a DL650 before I did anything to make my SV more of a tourer, and I think it's absolutely too tall. Touring SV it is.

• Locked thread