Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.

j.peeba posted:

Use the lock envelopes button, it lets you move or delete the clips without affecting the automations. It's a small rectangular button with a lock icon on it and you can find it in top right hand corner of the arrangement view, next to the beat time ruler and scrub area.

So thaaaat's what that's for. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

Mandals posted:

...there has to be a more elegant way, right?
With Live, if something doesn't seem elegant, there is almost certainly a better, more elegant way.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
My trial just expired and I want to buy Live 8 now, which would cost me around 240$ (upgrading from Live Lite 4 or something that came bundled years ago). However I hear Live 9 is just around the corner, should I hold off? Have they given free updates in the past? How much would be the typical upgrade from Live 8 to Live 9? Thanks a bunch :)

Edit: I mean free update because I'd buy Live 8 in its end of life.

Olivil fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 27, 2011

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Olivil posted:

My trial just expired and I want to buy Live 8 now, which would cost me around 240$ (upgrading from Live Lite 4 or something that came bundled years ago). However I hear Live 9 is just around the corner, should I hold off? Have they given free updates in the past? How much would be the typical upgrade from Live 8 to Live 9? Thanks a bunch :)

Edit: I mean free update because I'd buy Live 8 in its end of life.

It's possible since I think they've done it in the past, but any commentary on the matter is likely just speculation. Live 8 is already one of the most powerful pieces of software for music creation and performance ever made so unless the new features are compelling (and the bugs that come with such an update not too deterring) you're still in a good position with 8. Maybe you could extend your trial by downloading the other versions? There's one for suite and for vanilla live which might buy you the time you need to see what they unveil next month.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
I just figured out how to route Soundflower into Live. Gahhhhhh the sampling possibilities.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

drat soundflower looks so cool. My install messed up so I use something called Audio Hijack Pro. It's OK, but you can't route it, just make samples.

Warrior Bob
Dec 16, 2004
butt
How is Soundflower working for you guys? I'd like to use it (so I can route audio from MainStage into Live and vice versa) but I'm deathly afraid of introducing some audio driver issue that will mess with live performance and that I can never uninstall if I have issues. I'm used to this kind of thing from the Windows world, but I haven't been in OSX that long so I've brought my superstitions with me.

Has Soundflower been pretty stable for you?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Warrior Bob posted:

How is Soundflower working for you guys? I'd like to use it (so I can route audio from MainStage into Live and vice versa) but I'm deathly afraid of introducing some audio driver issue that will mess with live performance and that I can never uninstall if I have issues. I'm used to this kind of thing from the Windows world, but I haven't been in OSX that long so I've brought my superstitions with me.

Utterly 100% trouble free over the several months I've been using it, granted I haven't used it for anything more much elaborate than routing VLC or Firefox into Live.

There's an uninstall script but really all it does is delete a single file (/System/Library/Extensions/Soundflower.kext) and clear out the Soundflower install directory.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

I'm looking at upgrading from the lite version of Live that came with my APC to a full one and was wondering how useful the extra stuff with suite is versus the reglar version. Also, are the EIC2 and session drums any good? I'd like the printed manual that comes with the box version but I could live without it if the sampled instruments aren't too good. The price difference isn't a major issue for me, but a couple hundred bucks between live download and the suite box is still a bit. Will I use the stuff in suite or is it just cute stuff to show off live?

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

I just ordered the boxed version a few days ago after having used the suite for many years. I'd say that for most people the unboxed version is fine, especially if you already are used to programming your own drum patterns and have a nice library of instruments/VSTs built up.

I didn't have a burning need for the sampled instruments or session drums myself, but I bought it anyway because A) it was on sale for $121, B) it comes with some nice instruments so I can finally ditch the Reason Refills I use for things like cello, and C) I just really, really like Ableton and sometimes find myself wishing they would release more things so I can shove money at them.

Also, stickers, man. Stickers.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.

Warrior Bob posted:

I've had SoundFlower installed for 4+ years with no trouble. On my current Mac and my previous one. In the mean time I have used M-Audio, MOTU, Presonus and TC audio interfaces with no issue. Firewire and USB. I'd say it's a safe bet.

1karus
Jan 29, 2006

The Fun Machine
Took a Shit and Died
Is there any reason to hold off on buying a APC40? I know that they released the special edition that was just cosmetic changes, but what is the likelihood of a new model/revision being announced/released at NAMM?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Just got Soundflower working! It's so cool.

:hellyeah:

k0konutz
Dec 27, 2006

Just be yourself, as long as that means you're a successful person.
Running into a snag with a new music project...my friend produces in Reason, but perform in Ableton, yet we lose a lot of fx when exporting individual tracks because there is a lot of side chain action happening and bussed fx that wouldn't make sense when the audio is exported by itself--what is the best way to produce in Reason and still be able to chop up into clips and perform?
Should we just export raw audio and find Ableton equivalents of the fx?
Since it is just midi data, would we be able to just export the midi and rewire the instruments through Ableton, cutting up the midi into clips? Would that still preserve side chain fx in reason?
Any other ideas?

BUTTERWORBS
Oct 16, 2002

k0konutz posted:

Running into a snag with a new music project...my friend produces in Reason, but perform in Ableton, yet we lose a lot of fx when exporting individual tracks because there is a lot of side chain action happening and bussed fx that wouldn't make sense when the audio is exported by itself--what is the best way to produce in Reason and still be able to chop up into clips and perform?
Should we just export raw audio and find Ableton equivalents of the fx?
Since it is just midi data, would we be able to just export the midi and rewire the instruments through Ableton, cutting up the midi into clips? Would that still preserve side chain fx in reason?
Any other ideas?

I don't use reason, but you should be able to solo your track or mute all the tracks except the one you want and just export from the master to get the effects included. Repeat for each track obviously.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
I want to set up a Live set so that VLC is routed into Live via Soundflower, then set up an effects chain with TouchOSC or something, so when I'm hanging out watching movies with my friends I can discretely mess with my phone to cause the audio to go crazy with pitch shifting / delays / etc.

haxidecimal
Jul 10, 2008

1karus posted:

Is there any reason to hold off on buying a APC40? I know that they released the special edition that was just cosmetic changes, but what is the likelihood of a new model/revision being announced/released at NAMM?

I couldn't live without mine and you can get them so cheap used.. If a new one drops you can use both

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

If I just wanted something to let me slap a button and it would start to record instead of having to drag my mouse around, is there a small controller for that? Something with transport controls on it would be perfect. I don't care about clip launching or real-time effect control, so the APC40 looks like overkill.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Mandals posted:

If I just wanted something to let me slap a button and it would start to record instead of having to drag my mouse around, is there a small controller for that? Something with transport controls on it would be perfect. I don't care about clip launching or real-time effect control, so the APC40 looks like overkill.

How about a Korg Nanokontrol?

k0konutz
Dec 27, 2006

BUTTERWORBS posted:

I don't use reason, but you should be able to solo your track or mute all the tracks except the one you want and just export from the master to get the effects included. Repeat for each track obviously.

Well, with Reason 6 you can now export tracks individually without fx, but we intentionally want to lose the fx for flexibility while playing--say we have a side chain compressor on a track that is being affected by the kick drum, if that clip is played by itself then it has the "pumping" effect without hearing a kick, so it's weird.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

k0konutz posted:

Well, with Reason 6 you can now export tracks individually without fx, but we intentionally want to lose the fx for flexibility while playing--say we have a side chain compressor on a track that is being affected by the kick drum, if that clip is played by itself then it has the "pumping" effect without hearing a kick, so it's weird.

Couldn't you have Reason split the source track (via Spider), and send the sidechained and non-sidechained signals to two separate Live channels, which you then toggle or crossfade between?

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

Dummy clips?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

working with a lot of frozen tracks (Razor/Massive) is cool & all, but I can't freeze tracks with sidechained effects. Is it possible to do this with sends/returns?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

dolphins are gay posted:

working with a lot of frozen tracks (Razor/Massive) is cool & all, but I can't freeze tracks with sidechained effects. Is it possible to do this with sends/returns?

You can route the synth to a second audio track, put the sidechain effect on the second track, then freeze the original (pre-sidechain) track.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
Just got 8 finally after using what my brother calls an "ancient" version (7).

Seems to not gently caress my poo poo up as much so far...

h_double: i cleaned my room today and found those stickers i made for you about 6 years ago (audioforest?) i think it was you or maybe haoma

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

thunderthief posted:

Just got 8 finally after using what my brother calls an "ancient" version (7).

Seems to not gently caress my poo poo up as much so far...

h_double: i cleaned my room today and found those stickers i made for you about 6 years ago (audioforest?) i think it was you or maybe haoma

Yeah that was me, those stickers were dope and there were a bunch of them in circulation in DC for a while. It was "Sonic Forest", which was my net label that I ended up changing the name of after a sound art installation of the same name was at Bonaroo (they did stake out the name first; you can't be too obsessive or paranoid about googling any potential project names).

I only made the jump to Live 8 about a year ago and it's a great upgrade, especially the improved automation mapping (which was THE biggest shortcoming of earlier versions) and the ability to buss poo poo up in track folders.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
Yeah man, it runs sooo much cleaner I can tell there's a huge performance tune-up as well...

I got some tutorial DVDs as well from my bro that I'm gonna watch, but holy poo poo.

This, coupled with NI Komplete is absolutely revolutionizing my workflow right now, once I get the MV-8800 in the mix with the EPS and the MC-909 my poo poo is gonna be poppin.

I got a few of those stickers left if you want any for old times sake.

k0konutz
Dec 27, 2006

I think my project may have gotten to the point where we have to take our songs from Reason and just redo them in Ableton. We've been experimenting with Rewire but haven't been having the best luck with what we want to accomplish.
Any good advice on how to get Ableton instruments sounding like the racks in Reason?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Vector 7 posted:

Dummy clips?
Dummy clips.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

'Dummy Clips' is sort of a misnomer. They're really Automation Clips, in my opinion.

Zoom Shroom
Nov 19, 2007

by Lowtax
Max for Live: worth it?
I play around in SynthEdit quite a bit but that's only for Windows.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Zoom Shroom posted:

Max for Live (or Max in general) seems to appeal more to people who are really, really into sound design and like to get way technical with it. People who build their own Arduino interfaces for example.

For most people it's overkill. But if the thought of being able to design your own gain stages using mathy and byzantine routing procedures sounds fun then you'd probably love it.

I personally stay away because A) I hate having too many options because I find them paralyzing and B) I'm far, far too lazy to do much more than tweak a preset.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Zoom Shroom posted:

I love Max4Live. Even without delving into building your devices, there's a lot of things which I always wished were in the main Live package -- like step sequencers and the ability to route an LFO to any parameter in a Live device -- it really rounds out the Live experience for me.

If you ARE interested in getting under the hood and digging around, it's pretty much a no-brainer. Max/MSP feels more polished (and is way way better documented) than Reaktor, though it's a bit lower-level than, say SynthEdit -- expect to spend a few hours just learning your way around, but there are good tutorials and such built-in.

There's a library of devices at http://maxforlive.com/ if you want to have a look at the pre-built stuff that's available and what other people have done with M4L.

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it.

Doctor Rope
So I have a quick, random question that I'm hoping goons can help with.

In a tutorial I saw long ago, there's some simple way to make one note smoothly swoop up or down to another note so that it plays all of the tones between the two. Anyone know how this is done?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

TracerBullet posted:

So I have a quick, random question that I'm hoping goons can help with.

In a tutorial I saw long ago, there's some simple way to make one note smoothly swoop up or down to another note so that it plays all of the tones between the two. Anyone know how this is done?

Well, that's called portamento or glide on your synth. It's a function of the synth, not Ableton. Find the setting on your synth, turn it on, adjust the glide time to your liking and then glide away. To sequence it you want the first note to run past the start point of the second note so there is no retrigger - you want the notes to slur into each other.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 8, 2014

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it.

Doctor Rope
Thanks for the responses guys, don't have a synth sadly but I will try simpler.

I swear to god this guy just highlighted both notes, did some right-click or command-key option and there was a nice clean swoop up of notes.

I'll keep investigating.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

TracerBullet posted:

Thanks for the responses guys, don't have a synth sadly but I will try simpler.

I swear to god this guy just highlighted both notes, did some right-click or command-key option and there was a nice clean swoop up of notes.

I'll keep investigating.

Is this what you're looking for?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgOxY12r320

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Looks like an Ableton clone called Bitwig Studio is on the way courtesy of some former Live developers.

http://bitwig.com/bitwig_studio.php

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xpander
Sep 2, 2004

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Looks like an Ableton clone called Bitwig Studio is on the way courtesy of some former Live developers.

http://bitwig.com/bitwig_studio.php

Their LAN-jamming stuff is something I've dreamed about for YEARS(though I realize it doesn't exist yet). Hope I can get in the beta.