Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Not according to this review:

http://www.lafolia.com/acoustic-revives-rr-777/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
I was trying to follow the woo of the Schumann Resonance generators and learned a bit about ELF and what it takes to transmit it, eventually got to this, http://montalk.net/conspiracy/55/how-to-block-microwave-mind-programming-signals

Then I got sad and gave up.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Supposedly it's an electronic pulse, not a sound wave.

I'm fairly sure it does literally nothing at all.

Gary Koh, on another forum posted:

Some people hear nothing, others have reported great improvements. I once walked into a room and while the music was playing, the dealer turned it off. I felt sick to the stomach momentarily, but once I regained my equilibrium, I didn't hear any difference and told the dealer so. Whereupon the dealer turned it back on and I felt sick again. When he asked me if I now heard the difference I told him "yes" so that he wouldn't turn it off again and make me sick.

Gary Koh is the CEO of Genesis Advanced Technologies.

I'm curious to know what the thing actually emits. It wouldn't surprise me if it was just a subsonic sound generator.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

TheMadMilkman posted:

I'm curious to know what the thing actually emits.

:yosbutt::gas:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Isn't the infamous "brown note" supposedly around 7Hz?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Sub-20hz tones can affect the middle ear if played loud enough, and that can cause nausea for some people.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

Isn't the infamous "brown note" supposedly around 7Hz?

I keep a quantity of poop in my pants at all times because it acts as a sort of dampening terminator for the sound waves coursing through my body.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

grack posted:

middle ear

I only have a left and right ear how can I correct this :confused:

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Jerry Cotton posted:

I only have a left and right ear how can I correct this :confused:

You close your two ears to the outside world and open your hidden ear to the inside.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hob_Gadling posted:

You close your two ears to the outside world and open your hidden ear to the inside.

Is there some way I could pay someone 5000 USD to open my hidden ear for me? I don't trust myself to do it.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Jerry Cotton posted:

Is there some way I could pay someone 5000 USD to open my hidden ear for me? I don't trust myself to do it.

Try the crazy secret audiophile industry doesn't want you to know about :

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?ymisc&1369193676

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

grack posted:

Sub-20hz tones can affect the middle ear if played loud enough, and that can cause nausea for some people.

True but that thing is so loving tiny there's no way it's capable of outputting frequencies that low. It's a little box with an LED on it, pure audiophile grade toss that doesn't do anything. None of the poo poo on that market does.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

88h88 posted:

True but that thing is so loving tiny there's no way it's capable of outputting frequencies that low. It's a little box with an LED on it, pure audiophile grade toss that doesn't do anything. None of the poo poo on that market does.

I know, just commenting on the whole sub-20hz thing.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
It's hypersonic speakers creating interferences with sub-20 Hz frequencies.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

grack posted:

I know, just commenting on the whole sub-20hz thing.

I know dude, I just wanted to talk about the box of nothing and yours seemed like a good bit to quote. To create pulses or waves under 20hz requires a bit more firepower than will ever be in that box is all I'm saying. :)

grack
Jan 10, 2012

88h88 posted:

I know dude, I just wanted to talk about the box of nothing and yours seemed like a good bit to quote. To create pulses or waves under 20hz requires a bit more firepower than will ever be in that box is all I'm saying. :)

I wonder what's actually inside? I'm guessing an LED, a computer buzzer and a cardboard middle finger.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

grack posted:

I wonder what's actually inside? I'm guessing an LED, a computer buzzer and a cardboard middle finger.

I'm going with just an LED, audiophile products are all about maximum profit margin and 20c on a buzzer just eats into a dude's Ferrari fund.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

grack posted:

It actually has a handful of components, at least $10 worth including the PCB.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

Where the gently caress do you buy your components and PCBs?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Jerry Cotton posted:

Where the gently caress do you buy your components and PCBs?

At "Ripoffs 'R' Us", the well-known electronics retailer. (Actually, I steal everything from my dad's parts drawers, he buys in large quantities)

But seriously, there's the plastic case, on/off button, a handful of resistors and (probably audiophile-grade) capacitors and so on. Add in the cost to produce a PCB on a low-scale production run and I could easily see it adding up to $10 or maybe $20.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Well if you have like 10 PCBs made at a time I guess it'll cost 10 dollars and the box might be two dollars but unless you literally go to a brick & mortar store and buy the components one at a time their cost will be negligible.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

How many do you think he makes of these at a time? It can't be more than a couple, if he even makes them ahead of time.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

How many do you think he makes of these at a time? It can't be more than a couple, if he even makes them ahead of time.

When I built my first kit (not audio related) I noticed it was only marginally more expensive (total) to order 100 of a component from an Eastern European retailer than to buy 10 of it from the local electronics shop. Of course if he only makes 10 I guess that doesn't matter :shrug:

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
The guy sells a box that does nothing for $650.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Creates some sort of EM field, or whatever that big PCB antenna is good for.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

It's just a really long path for the power to get to the LED so it takes a few seconds to light up when it's switched on... :ssh:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it's good for "Breaking FCC regulations." Was I close?

Edit: That antenna isn't nearly long enough to generate a 7.83Hz wave. Some back-of-the-napkin math is giving me a wavelength of ~38,000 KM.

Double Edit: I reported them to the FCC. :allears:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 21, 2014

grack
Jan 10, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

Doesn't look like I was that far off.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The picture isn't high res enough, but guessing from the few components, it's probably a two pole lowpass filter that feeds an opamp that does something magical with the antenna. I really want that dude justify these electronics.

Also, what's that dumbass glue pattern on the inside of the bottom lid, anyway?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Given that 95%+ of audiophile arguments fall in to the category of "I spent more money so I like it more" I doubt anyone seriously considering purchasing that thing care.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Combat Pretzel posted:

The picture isn't high res enough, but guessing from the few components, it's probably a two pole lowpass filter that feeds an opamp that does something magical with the antenna. I really want that dude justify these electronics.

Not the guy himself, but someone's made a DIY version:

http://diyparadise.com/w/thank-you-mr-schumann/

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
The need for double blind tests prove that people perceive audio as sounding better when they expect it to. What we've done is con ourselves out of that extra joy. Everyone should come up with a magic ritual to do before they listen to music so that it sounds better. I'm gonna start by making a cup of coffee and sitting in my comfy chair before listening, that should do it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

TomR posted:

The need for double blind tests prove that people perceive audio as sounding better when they expect it to. What we've done is con ourselves out of that extra joy. Everyone should come up with a magic ritual to do before they listen to music so that it sounds better. I'm gonna start by making a cup of coffee and sitting in my comfy chair before listening, that should do it.

Change the cup of coffee to a double whisky and that's my pre-listening ritual.

Everything sounds much better when you're tipsy.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I've found that too much whisky increases jitter.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

I've found that too much whiskycoffee increases jitter.

:colbert:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Flipperwaldt posted:

I've found that too much not enough whisky increases jitter.

:colbert:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

It depends on how much krokodil you take with your whisky, I guess. There's no substitute for what it does to your highs.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

KillHour posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it's good for "Breaking FCC regulations." Was I close?

Edit: That antenna isn't nearly long enough to generate a 7.83Hz wave. Some back-of-the-napkin math is giving me a wavelength of ~38,000 KM.

Ie, the circumference of the earth.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
They even claim it makes your projector picture more in focus. HAHAHA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

KillHour posted:

What - really? :lol::laffo::lol: