Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Just use uBlock.

Yah, things are a bit speedier without it and pretty much the same thing.

Does uMatrix just have the HTTP Switchboard GUI while uBlock has the actual code?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
uBlock is an alternative to AdBlock, and uMatrix is an alternative to NoScript; that is, uBlock blocks based on filter lists and is meant to block by URL, and uMatrix blocks based on rules you set up yourself and is meant to block by request type. Also, read the GitHub page.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

dpbjinc posted:

uBlock is an alternative to AdBlock, and uMatrix is an alternative to NoScript; that is, uBlock blocks based on filter lists and is meant to block by URL, and uMatrix blocks based on rules you set up yourself and is meant to block by request type. Also, read the GitHub page.

My biggest issue is there doesn't seem to be a way to whitelist like NoScript does. I can deal with making YouTube work once...but not every single time.

Edit: I'm dumb. Nevermind. :v: Never noticed the lock to make temp changes permanent. I'll keep it then.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jun 12, 2015

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Is there a "Save image to Google Photos" extension? My google-fu is sucking.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

eSporks posted:

You can open crosh without dev mode.
I'm not seeing any related commands when I type help, and my googling is not turning up anything. Googling for chromeos related problems is very frustrating, you just get tons of windows chrome browser related results, or newbie guides to chromebooks.

You have to open a shell in crosh, which does require dev mode. The command is shell. From there many Linux guides will be applicable.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Dev mode enabled. Shell gives me "unknown command". Why is something as simple and universal as IRC so hard to get working, and why is there 0 documentation for any of this. I installed ubuntu on a laptop 10 years ago and had less trouble getting wifi to work.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 13, 2015

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I'm pretty sure you're not in dev mode. Can't help you with the wifi stuff but there are a million Chrome extension IRC clients.

However, if ChromeOS makes you so angry why do you have a Chromebook? Get a cheap laptop and install Ubuntu if that's what you want. Or wipe the SSD and install a Ubuntu rather than messing with crouton.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

SurgicalOntologist posted:

I'm pretty sure you're not in dev mode. Can't help you with the wifi stuff but there are a million Chrome extension IRC clients.

However, if ChromeOS makes you so angry why do you have a Chromebook? Get a cheap laptop and install Ubuntu if that's what you want. Or wipe the SSD and install a Ubuntu rather than messing with crouton.
I've loved the Chromebook until now. Expecting IRC to work isn't exactly a stretch.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Of course not. But again, there seem to be dozens of Chrome extension IRC clients that appear to work based on their positive ratings. Which ones have you tried?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

5+ and several entirely browser based ones. Multiple irc servers as well.
It used to work fine until about a week ago. It might not be a port issue, but its the only thing that makes sense, and its incredibly frustrating that I can't even check that to rule it out.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

At this point I think the two likely explanations are (1) you have a rogue extension loving things up, or (2) you have a hardware problem in your Chromebook. Do you still not have shell access? If that's the case you haven't enabled dev mode.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
I run Mosh and connect to my VPS where I run weechat in tmux. If you don't like Mosh because you're loving insane and don't like the idea of opening your Chromebook and your ssh connection automatically reestablishing, there's also Secure Shell.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

SurgicalOntologist posted:

At this point I think the two likely explanations are (1) you have a rogue extension loving things up, or (2) you have a hardware problem in your Chromebook. Do you still not have shell access? If that's the case you haven't enabled dev mode.
Well, I just found out that clicking developer mode in the extensions window is not the developer mode I want....

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Yeah I can see why that would be confusing. FYI when you actually enable developer mode it will wipe everything.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
SNIP - wrong thread.

That's what happens when you Ctrl-F "Chrome" in the thread list and don't pay attention to what comes up :doh:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I think I know the answer to this question, but I'll ask anyway:

Is there any way to get an extension to only activate for one Chrome window instead of all of them?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Am I the only person getting constant browser freeze ups lately?

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I've had a lot of problems with adblockers freezing Chrome, so I went back to Firefox for now.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Mill Village posted:

I've had a lot of problems with adblockers freezing Chrome, so I went back to Firefox for now.

Sorry your computer is broken. Never happened to me. Use AdBlock.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Mill Village posted:

This...is not normal.

Michael Scott posted:

Sorry your computer is broken. Never happened to me. Use AdBlock.

No one uses AdBlock any more! (and by "no one" I mean nerds who follow this poo poo)

Use uBlock.

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

Don't give me any shit about plumbers, Jan.
I'm only on a 3GB ram laptop and Chrome started running slowly with Adblock, switched to uBlock origin and everything is lovely again now.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Just going to chime in and say adblock was killing my chrome too. I installed something else.
When chrome starts doing weird things, disable all your extensions, then enable them one by one until it does the thing again.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

No one uses AdBlock any more! (and by "no one" I mean nerds who follow this poo poo)

Use uBlock.

I was not aware of this but have now made the switch. :boom:

shiftless
May 18, 2005

If you want to see pages load spectacularly fast add Disconnect and/or Ghostery along with uBlock

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

shiftless posted:

If you want to see pages load spectacularly fast add Disconnect and/or Ghostery along with uBlock

I don't think that Disconnect and Ghostery play well together, but Ghostery + uBlock is fast as hell.

Thanks for this!

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

shiftless posted:

uBlock has all of Disconnects lists available if you want to pare down potential conflicts between extensions.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

WorkingStiff posted:

uBlock has all of Disconnects lists available if you want to pare down potential conflicts between extensions.

So just enable these and uninstall Ghostery/Disconnect? Huh.

What lists are the ones I should have turned on?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Since the OP still recommends adblock plus, I must ask here.

Which do I want to use? uBlock or uBlock origin? Origin sounds like its rooted in some priggish little programmer trying to rename his ball and take it home, but original recipe uBlock sounds like it may have been subverted by the sort of people that are itching to start whitelisting AdSense and accept payola from the LiveJasmins of the world.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

shadow puppet of a posted:

Since the OP still recommends adblock plus, I must ask here.

Which do I want to use? uBlock or uBlock origin? Origin sounds like its rooted in some priggish little programmer trying to rename his ball and take it home, but original recipe uBlock sounds like it may have been subverted by the sort of people that are itching to start whitelisting AdSense and accept payola from the LiveJasmins of the world.

https://www.ublock.org/faq/ explains the situation quite well. Neither is a poor choice as far as I have seen.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

hypersleep fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 26, 2020

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Is there any reason you need the github versions? Cant you just install them from the web store like everyone else?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Chrome won't let me sign into my Drive. When I go to sign in, it gives me the login prompt for my wife. If I click "Sign in with a different user", then pick myself, it just redirects to my wife's login screen. I have no extensions enabled and Chrome is up to date. There is no obvious way to remove users (why did they remove the "remove user" button on the select account screen?). The only way to get to my Drive is to open an incognito window. Help?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Papercut posted:

Chrome won't let me sign into my Drive. When I go to sign in, it gives me the login prompt for my wife. If I click "Sign in with a different user", then pick myself, it just redirects to my wife's login screen. I have no extensions enabled and Chrome is up to date. There is no obvious way to remove users (why did they remove the "remove user" button on the select account screen?). The only way to get to my Drive is to open an incognito window. Help?

Clear cookies and hosted app data, also maybe cache too, then delete the chrome settings folder ( this one is in quite different locations, but in windows its in AppData\Local\Google, osx ~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default, linux ~/.config/google-chrome/Default)

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Celexi posted:

Clear cookies and hosted app data, also maybe cache too, then delete the chrome settings folder ( this one is in quite different locations, but in windows its in AppData\Local\Google, osx ~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default, linux ~/.config/google-chrome/Default)

Thanks, that worked.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

hypersleep fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 26, 2020

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

For the last few months, Chrome has been unable to play Youtube videos. It will buffer and play about 30 seconds, and then just stop loading. Sometimes it will endlessly try to buffer, sometimes it will switch to 144p and play a few seconds before trying to buffer again. I have no active extensions, and this problem persists on multiple networks and computers. When I open the same video in Firefox, it immediately plays with no interruptions at 1080p60FPS. Any idea how to fix this problem?

Hardbody Jones
Dec 14, 2002

I'm suddenly getting video ads on twitch.tv using uBlock Origin :(

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I just checked mine and i am not getting any ads, are you getting ads before the stream starts or while its playing?

Hardbody Jones
Dec 14, 2002

It seems like it's only on smaller streams where they aren't partnered, a few seconds after opening I get a 5 hour energy ad

Edit: affecting others as well https://www.reddit.com/r/ublock/comments/3cijxr/allowing_twitch_ads/

Hardbody Jones fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jul 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PPills
Oct 5, 2004
What's the best way to get my Chrome profile back (I don't use sync)? I backed up my Chrome app data, reformatted Windows, installed Chrome, tried to copy back my stuff, only to find it telling me that my data was from an older version of Chrome. Only my bookmarks appeared. No extensions, no login info, no cookies, no browsing history. All gone.