Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Someone needs to make a GIF out of Obama and Christie high fiving each other today on the boardwalk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Someone needs to make a GIF out of Obama and Christie high fiving each other today on the boardwalk.

I'm sure Rand Paul, Ted Cruz or Santorum are working on it.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The line outside the Rand Paul book signing at the Reagan Library an hour before the event.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I love the people on opposite sides, like there's going to be a massive argument over who was 5th or 6th in line.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

skaboomizzy posted:

I love the people on opposite sides, like there's going to be a massive argument over who was 5th or 6th in line.

With guns drawn, over liberty and freedom and Tea Party values.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Joementum posted:

The line outside the Rand Paul book signing at the Reagan Library an hour before the event.

Gotta love the youthfulness and diversity of his fans.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

skaboomizzy posted:

Why don't we let the Free Market decide?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Post mortem, Time have obtained documents that show what a Mitt Romney hellscape would look like.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

ufarn posted:

Post mortem, Time have obtained documents that show what a Mitt Romney hellscape would look like.

It's like someone threw every single corporate executive buzzword into a PowerPoint generator. "Increase responsiveness from cabinet departments by increasing unity through cabinet synergy."

This further confirms my belief that being a business consultant, MLM founder, or cult leader would all require essentially the same skill set.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
As is usually the case, Nate Silver has something insightful to say about Hillary Clinton's popularity and how it will affect her (presumed) 2016 campaign:

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/31/predictable-decline-in-hillary-clintons-popularity/#more-40236

He basically says that while Hillary Clinton is still popular amongst Democrats, the idea that she has some type of transcendent popularity across groups is wishful thinking.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

She's not going to magically win Arkansas but she still has really good numbers with women.
[PDF] Crosstabs

Favorable among women
Fav-Un-Haven't Heard enough
Clinton 59-32-8
Biden 39-38-23

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
All Hillary has to do to get the biggest Democratic landslide in 50 years is to lose White women by 5%.

Van5
Sep 9, 2011

DynamicSloth posted:

All Hillary has to do to get the biggest Democratic landslide in 50 years is to lose White women by 5%.

Wow the Republicans are in trouble on that front. :stare:

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's like someone threw every single corporate executive buzzword into a PowerPoint generator. "Increase responsiveness from cabinet departments by increasing unity through cabinet synergy."

This further confirms my belief that being a business consultant, MLM founder, or cult leader would all require essentially the same skill set.

I'm taking a management course right now as part of my degree, and it's literally nothing but "how to organize a thing" wrapped around several hundred common business buzzwords, some technical jargon and PowerPoint.

knife super power
Nov 4, 2010

skaboomizzy posted:

I'm taking a management course right now as part of my degree, and it's literally nothing but "how to organize a thing" wrapped around several hundred common business buzzwords, some technical jargon and PowerPoint.

Hey, don't you worry about "blank", let me worry about "blank".

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
And we have a candidate for the coveted spot of 2016's version of Jon Huntsman.

quote:

The Ohio Republican, who was on Mitt Romney’s list of potential vice-president possibilities during the 2012 election, is considered a possible presidential hopeful. He’ll be appearing in Salem on June 14.

The news was first reported by the New Hampshire Union-Leader, which reported that Portman will join New Hampshire Sen. Kelly Ayotte at a private fundraiser that will cost $250 a ticket. Portman, a spokesman said, reached out to Ayotte last week to let her know about the visit, and she suggested he host a fundraiser for the state party.

Alright! Who's fired up for some wonky conservative budget solutions masked as calm centrism with a thin veneer of social moderation? Anyone?

The polls just closed on the set of Morning Joe and it's Portman with a landslide!!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Joementum posted:

Alright! Who's fired up for some wonky conservative budget solutions masked as calm centrism with a thin veneer of social moderation? Anyone?

The polls just closed on the set of Morning Joe and it's Portman with a landslide!!

They are too busy lapping Christie's rear end to really commit to Portman.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Gonna go out on a limb and say a Republican who is best known for being pro-gay marriage and his service in the Bush 43 administration probably isn't a real threat.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

ufarn posted:

All that needs to be said:

quote:

A White House spokesman did not respond when asked if Obama’s team had reviewed the transition report for ideas for the second term.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Joementum posted:

Sorry, I have to totally disagree, here.

We have a milquetoast white guy from the Midwest whose speeches are known for being a better sleep aid than most prescription sedatives, whose big selling point as a possible 2012 Veep nomination was that he wouldn't overshadow Mitt Romney, and has a handful of vaguely moderate positions.

I submit to you that he is not, in fact, 2016's Jon Huntsman; he is 2016's Tim Pawlenty.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Thanatosian posted:

I submit to you that he is not, in fact, 2016's Jon Huntsman; he is 2016's Tim Pawlenty.

Eh. Pawlenty's place in the race if it developed into anything was always going to be as the evangelical candidate, and Portman tossed that away when he decided to accept his son's sexual orientation.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

jeffersonlives posted:

Eh. Pawlenty's place in the race if it developed into anything was always going to be as the evangelical candidate, and Portman tossed that away when he decided to accept his son's sexual orientation.
Only for marriage. Portman is not sold on the idea his son shouldn't be fired for being gay.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Random thought: does Cory Booker likely being in the Senate in a few months materially alter the 2016 Democratic primary? Everyone's focused on how this affects Christie, but it feels to me like it's a lot easier for Booker to turn around and run in 2015 with almost two years under his belt instead of a couple of months.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I'm sort of skeptical that a black candidate with only two years in the Senate could compete nationally.

That obvious joke out of the way, isn't Booker's problem there going to be the tri-state bar on Wall Street fundraising, or is that only a state-level thing?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

jeffersonlives posted:

Random thought: does Cory Booker likely being in the Senate in a few months materially alter the 2016 Democratic primary? Everyone's focused on how this affects Christie, but it feels to me like it's a lot easier for Booker to turn around and run in 2015 with almost two years under his belt instead of a couple of months.

It's going to be interested to see how much lip service Booker needs to pay to progressives to win. I'm guessing not much.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

mcmagic posted:

It's going to be interested to see how much lip service Booker needs to pay to progressives to win. I'm guessing not much.

Booker pays lots of "lip service" to "progressives," he just doesn't pay much to unions. Really isn't the same thing. Also might not translate when he's a statewide elected instead of dealing with the Newark shitstorm.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

jeffersonlives posted:

Booker is young and has plenty of time to run for the White House. I personally don't think he'll even consider running unless both Biden and Clinton bow out.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

jeffersonlives posted:

Booker pays lots of "lip service" to "progressives," he just doesn't pay much to unions. Really isn't the same thing. Also might not translate when he's a statewide elected instead of dealing with the Newark shitstorm.

He's going to hope that he can just talk about social issues and not have to pay a price for his neoliberal economics.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

mcmagic posted:

He's going to hope that he can just talk about social issues and not have to pay a price for his neoliberal economics.

Yes, his neoliberal economics, truly such an impediment to national prominence in the Democratic party.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The Warszawa posted:

Yes, his neoliberal economics, truly such an impediment to national prominence in the Democratic party.

He's very far to the right economically and NJ is a liberal state. I'm sure he'll win though.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

mcmagic posted:

He's very far to the right economically and NJ is a liberal state. I'm sure he'll win though.

NJ has a lot of finance people - NJ is a truly liberal state. Basically, neoliberalism is not actually untenable in mainstream American politics.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Booker will probably wait his turn for a presidential run, if he makes it into Senate.

He's definitely presidential material though, progressive social views, and has pockets in finance. Also literally Batman.

Edit: If Hilary ducks I could see him fighting Biden though, that hinges on getting that Senate seat now, however. This would also nullify one of Christie's biggest potential advantages, assuming they go against each other in the same presidential race.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Waterbed posted:

Booker will probably wait his turn for a presidential run, if he makes it into Senate.

He's definitely presidential material though, progressive social views, and has pockets in finance. Also literally Batman.

Edit: If Hilary ducks I could see him fighting Biden though, that hinges on getting that Senate seat now, however. This would also nullify one of Christie's biggest potential advantages, assuming they go against each other in the same presidential race.

Booker absolutely should wait. The GOP noise machine is already going to be bad enough in 2016 without them getting to say 'hey look! They're putting up ANOTHER black northern senator who hasn't even completed his first term in office!' Booker needs more time for Obama to be out of the limelight before running, otherwise he won't be Cory Booker for President, he'll just be Obama 2.0 and will have (for good or for ill) all of Obama's positions and opinions grafted onto him by both sides.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Tempest_56 posted:

Booker absolutely should wait. The GOP noise machine is already going to be bad enough in 2016 without them getting to say 'hey look! They're putting up ANOTHER black northern senator who hasn't even completed his first term in office!' Booker needs more time for Obama to be out of the limelight before running, otherwise he won't be Cory Booker for President, he'll just be Obama 2.0 and will have (for good or for ill) all of Obama's positions and opinions grafted onto him by both sides.

You're making the argument for him to run if the economy is good in 2016 which is more likely than not.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Tempest_56 posted:

If Hilary runs you could also have a scenario of the next three presidents being democrats just based upon the way demographics are shaping up right now.

Obama, Clinton, Booker, Castro has a nice ring to it. :getin:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

A Winner is Jew posted:

Obama, Clinton, Booker, Castro has a nice ring to it. :getin:

It rings like a bell with "GOLDMAN SACHS" printed on the side.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Booker isn't running. I thought he might before he went for Senate, but he didn't even try to slay the Christie dragon within his own state. Why the gently caress would he duck him three months back, then go for it two years later from an inferior position when he'd have to get by between one and two of the three biggest plausible names in Dem politics since 1964?

The guy's too smart for that. He's set himself up for 2020 or '24 too well as it is. No reason to take on Clinton/Biden/GOP back to back to back now when he can be the anointed Chosen One in a cycle.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

SedanChair posted:

I don't think there's any evidence yet that either Castro has sold out to Wall St. just yet, but there's still time.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

SedanChair posted:

You act like that wouldn't happen no matter who the next 4 presidents are or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

For the record, my own thoughts on Booker: Hillary running really takes everyone in that northeastern "neoliberal" pod out, and Biden running puts a serious cramp on all of them. If neither runs, Booker might be looking at polls in two years showing him as a frontrunner in a weak field, and that's hard to turn down.

• Locked thread