Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Haven't had a chance to watch it yet but Grimdark Power rangers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw5vcUPyL90

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

1. I was literally watching "Don't Trust the Bitch from Apartment 23" on Netflix right before this so to see Van Der Beek here gave me some serious tonal whiplash.

2. This is better than it has any right to be. Solid writing, effects, and actors way above the caliber of this kind-of nonsense. Making the emotional fulcrum about child soldiers was brilliant.

3. The fight scenes sucked dick.

4. There is no way in the 7 hells that anything like this would ever come to fruition in a project bigger than this, so dash your hopes right this loving instant you weird-rear end fans. Remember that "realistic" Mortal Kombat short from like 2009? Best case scenario with this is the exact same deal.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well a big budget film is already greenlit and targeted for summer 2016, and will probably have better actors then whatever new Zealand teens you haven't used yet. And the fight scenes will probably suck.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah, but you know as well as I do that the Big Budget Version's best-case scenario is going to look like Pacific Rim, and not this. If they even make a passing mention of how the Power Rangers are basically child soldiers it would be a huge step forward for blockbuster filmmaking, even if those themes aren't explored at all.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I mean yeah if you're gonna do GrimDark Power Rangers the only way to do it is to acknowledge that the premise of the original series is really hosed up.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Teenagers with attitude aren't child soldiers! If you're old enough to win a karate tournament or invent a radbug or teach gymnastics at the Y you're old enough to pilot a dinosaur tank and shoot sword cannons at monsters.

The only child soldier is Justin.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Yeah and it seems that even Saban realized it for a while, since from Lost Galaxy to Wild Force all the Rangers were adults(and Disney kept jumping back and forth on that topic as well)

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
A positive word about Operation Overdrive: I think the ice villain guy's suit and makeup is really really good. Like just below Zedd tier if you're talking about looks alone.

Also since power rangers is a kids show, usually starting as teenager, to a kid a teenager is an adult. Especially ones on TV, usually played by adults.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I've never seen a fan film with a bigger star attached to it than the actual property has ever had, that's so weird.

Edit: Actually the production values are surprisingly good.

JT Smiley fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 24, 2015

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

mind the walrus posted:

2. This is better than it has any right to be. Solid writing, effects, and actors way above the caliber of this kind-of nonsense. Making the emotional fulcrum about child soldiers was brilliant.

4. There is no way in the 7 hells that anything like this would ever come to fruition in a project bigger than this, so dash your hopes right this loving instant you weird-rear end fans. Remember that "realistic" Mortal Kombat short from like 2009? Best case scenario with this is the exact same deal.
The effects are pretty good. I mean, there's a bunch of useless This Is The Future poo poo with the interfaces going on, but the cityscapes are well rendered. This is going to be some young Blomkamp type CGartists' portfolio centerpiece or springboard.

Unfortunately the script is out of some 13 year old's fanfiction.net account. Power-rangers, but evil. Child Soldiers is a hosed up idea but everyone just picks up with their lives after. and Replacement Red has a scar that mirror's Tommy's because I played Final Fantasy 8 at some point and it was awesome. Also we use guns a lot because.

The MK short worked because MK was all about gore and ridiculous levels of kung fu cruft. The short was also a pretty well written, if slightly unbelievable, thing.
This is just bad.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 24, 2015

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I can't bring myself to like this. It reads like a sci-fi story with Power Rangers co-opted to fit into its narrative rather than anything to do with Power Rangers. If you replaced the opening cut with people in Starship Troopers outfits, it'd run and play out exactly the same way.

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah and it seems that even Saban realized it for a while, since from Lost Galaxy to Wild Force all the Rangers were adults(and Disney kept jumping back and forth on that topic as well)

For the most part, Sentai is pretty ambiguous as to the ages of its members except when it directly ties into the plot (like Dekaranger or Go-Buster). Otherwise, the default is typically young adults in their 20s

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

The effects are pretty good. I mean, there's a bunch of useless This Is The Future poo poo with the interfaces going on, but the cityscapes are well rendered. This is going to be some young Blomkamp type CGartists' portfolio centerpiece or springboard.

Unfortunately the script is out of some 13 year old's fanfiction.net account. Power-rangers, but evil. Child Soldiers is a hosed up idea but everyone just picks up with their lives after. and Replacement Red has a scar that mirror's Tommy's because I played Final Fantasy 8 at some point and it was awesome. Also we use guns a lot because.

The MK short worked because MK was all about gore and ridiculous levels of kung fu cruft. The short was also a pretty well written, if slightly unbelievable, thing.
This is just bad.

Not that your opinion about the short being bad is wrong, but I think you severely underestimate how hard it is to write anything that is coherent-- even if it's just coherent trash. It's definitely schlock, but considering the source material and the concept it's about it reads pretty well.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

mind the walrus posted:

Not that your opinion about the short being bad is wrong, but I think you severely underestimate how hard it is to write anything that is coherent-- even if it's just coherent trash. It's definitely schlock, but considering the source material and the concept it's about it reads pretty well.

As bad and over the top as it was its still light years ahead of what the real show was doing for the last four seasons

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

It's light years ahead of what the show has, like, ever done.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Little Mac posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=228WvjzHtUA
:colbert:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

mind the walrus posted:

It's definitely schlock, but considering the source material and the concept it's about it reads pretty well.
I can appreciate the effort it took, but bad writing is still bad writing.

"You don't look good covered in bullshit!" "I prefer PINK! is as bad as the toad-lightning line in the original X-Men.

But if you like this, maybe you would like to fund my Kickstarter reversioning of the Magic School Bus (Spoiler, Frizzle is actually The Doctor from a slideways reality and the Tardis is locked into a schoolbus and the kids are all companions, but they die during the adventures and the Tardis abducts kids from other realities to replace them because Frizzle lost it when the kids from her reality died. It's really a metaphor for empty nest syndrome).

Little Mac posted:

Timeforce came pretty close to being enjoyable without being total crap.
And the original Green with Evil storyline wasn't terrible.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 24, 2015

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

"You don't look good covered in bullshit!" "I prefer PINK! is as bad as the toad-lightning line in the original X-Men.

It so isn't. The lightning line is so infamous we can reference it 15 years after the fact and people still know what the gently caress you're talking about. You're not going to remember the "I prefer pink" line by the end of the week.

quote:

But if you like this, maybe you would like to fund my Kickstarter reversioning of the Magic School Bus (Spoiler, Frizzle is actually The Doctor from a slideways reality and the Tardis is locked into a schoolbus and the kids are all companions, but they die during the adventures and the Tardis abducts kids from other realities to replace them because Frizzle lost it when the kids from her reality died. It's really a metaphor for empty nest syndrome).

You joke but there's always potential in an idea. Batman Beyond is a loving terrible idea, but was a pretty good cartoon at the end of the day. Marvel's Civil War is a fantastic idea, but made for an absolute dogshit story. Execution matters in the end, and they executed the schlock writing they had well.

quote:

Timeforce came pretty close to being enjoyable without being total crap.
And the original Green with Evil storyline wasn't terrible.

Neither were even close to this, and this wasn't even very good.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

mind the walrus posted:

It so isn't. The lightning line is so infamous we can reference it 15 years after the fact and people still know what the gently caress you're talking about. You're not going to remember the "I prefer pink" line by the end of the week.
X-Men was also a big budget movie that pretty much got everything but that line right, so it stuck out like a sore thumb.

quote:

Execution matters in the end, and they executed the schlock writing they had well.
Hiring professionals probably helped with that. But just because it's schlock doesn't give it a pass. This is probably the place where we come to a disagreement, because while it's highly polished and well put together, it's still a grimdark turd that's more in line with a Robot Chicken sketch.
I'm not denying the artistry and talent behind this, mind you. It just doesn't come together for me.

quote:

Neither were even close to this...
This is correct, but only because those two were in line with what made the show enjoyable.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Xelkelvos posted:

If you replaced the opening cut with people in Starship Troopers outfits, it'd run and play out exactly the same way.

I mean, this seems like kind of the point.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If it's a parody, it's not very funny.

The production is admirable but, as has been said a lot, the writing is awful.

You can make serious Power Rangers. You really can. You need only look at some of the late 90s series to get an idea of how you could just push what was there to get what people want. Time Force, Lost Galaxy, In Space.

Hell, Green With Evil is a fantastic one too. If you pushed things further, that alone is your serious Power Rangers that you should try to emulate- keeps the fun action and monsters, but has actual stakes and character drama with some dire moments and darkest hours.

This misses the point of what Power Rangers is entirely, which may have been the point, but that doesn't make it good.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Xelkelvos posted:

For the most part, Sentai is pretty ambiguous as to the ages of its members except when it directly ties into the plot (like Dekaranger or Go-Buster). Otherwise, the default is typically young adults in their 20s

Or Toqger, where they are all seven years old :psyduck:

I'm old enough now that guys like Ryuuji and Nossan are my peers, and I'm glad they've been having older members because I feel less weird now.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Here's how you do grimdark Power Rangers: The various villainous empires are all constructed threats by shadow forces at the highest levels of the American government to fuel the military industrial complex. Every five years or so a new threatening world is introduced, requiring a new set of appropriately themed Rangers with a new arsenal. Every time a bad guy shows up that's too powerful for the current Rangers and they need a new toy your parents buy you weapon? That's planned obsolescence. Cities live in constant fear that they will be the next battleground in this fabricated war that has claimed millions and generated trillions in revenue for the people at the top.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Here's how you do grimdark Power Rangers: The various villainous empires are all constructed threats by shadow forces at the highest levels of the American government to fuel the military industrial complex. Every five years or so a new threatening world is introduced, requiring a new set of appropriately themed Rangers with a new arsenal. Every time a bad guy shows up that's too powerful for the current Rangers and they need a new toy your parents buy you weapon? That's planned obsolescence. Cities live in constant fear that they will be the next battleground in this fabricated war that has claimed millions and generated trillions in revenue for the people at the top.

Except why have it be grim dark at all?

I've seen plenty of people who want SERIOUS or MATURE Power Rangers, which is possible if not plausible.

Look I'll be frank on this- I'm planning a serious original series inspired by Power Rangers. If things go well, it'd be a comic series, and its entirely built from my love for the genre, tokustatsu in general.

The super simple plot summary is as follows- Threats from outer space are attacking the Earth, five young adults with other worldly power are the only things that can stop them.

Because that's fine. You can have outlandish things in a serious work.

Batman is an inherently silly, goofy concept yet people get more upset when its played for laughs than not.

What it comes down to, as was expertly put above- execution. You can have the shittiest idea in the world, but if you're smart and it has good writing, no one will care because it's good.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Burkion posted:

Except why have it be grim dark at all?

I've seen plenty of people who want SERIOUS or MATURE Power Rangers, which is possible if not plausible.

It's the same people who would not shut the gently caress up about Nolan's Batman after Batman Begins being such a great take on the material even though with hindsight we can all agree it didn't redefine poo poo and really didn't have all that much to say about the Batman concept on any sort-of adult level.

quote:

Look I'll be frank on this- I'm planning a serious original series inspired by Power Rangers. If things go well, it'd be a comic series, and its entirely built from my love for the genre, tokustatsu in general.

The super simple plot summary is as follows- Threats from outer space are attacking the Earth, five young adults with other worldly power are the only things that can stop them.

Because that's fine. You can have outlandish things in a serious work.

What's a good way to stay in the loop on this? I'd love to see a well-rounded take on a tokustatsu concept.

quote:

Batman is an inherently silly, goofy concept yet people get more upset when its played for laughs than not.

I honestly used to be one of those people but I could not tell you for the life of me exactly why I was like that. I really don't know. I'd say it's an adolescent thing but I was in the sweet spot for MMPR back in 93 and I'm 26 now, so I don't really know where the hell people calling for a SERIOUS and MATURE take on the material are coming from. Then again people around that same age were the same way about Transformers in the mid-00s so maybe it's most similar to that.

quote:

What it comes down to, as was expertly put above- execution. You can have the shittiest idea in the world, but if you're smart and it has good writing, no one will care because it's good.

Yeah but what the hell do I know I don't think a simple 6-part storyline about a bad-boy-turned-good from 20 years ago is on the same level as a professionally made fan-film with production values the show's modern incarnation would skin an infant to have.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 24, 2015

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I'd take Batman 66 over Nolan Batman

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not saying you "should" do grimdark Power Rangers. Just that if you do, it's necessary to have some sort of satirical element concerning the source material, be it child soldiers, the military industrial complex, or what RPM does with Dr. K, giving a tragic backstory to the person who's responsible for the Rangers' arsenal being incredibly childlike.
Jetman has a novelization written by some of the people who wrote that show. They take out the Monsters of the Week and the giant robots, and I'm assuming they also take out the dune buggy that transforms into a bazooka. You can do that, but then is it really even Power Rangers anymore? I don't' think so.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
According to the guy behind it, Joseph Kahn, he basically took it as a chance to play the dark and gritty fan film to its absolute limit. As in, could he take something so seemingly silly as power rangers/sentai, and push it into being 'too dark' for people, because the dark and gritty reboot is now a cliché unto itself.

And whilst I won't call myself a fan of the film, I would say people's responses to it do make for an interesting analysis of how far and in what way one can change a work before people start really being put off, as well as what it is people probably personally appreciated about the series (each to their own, of course) to begin with. Ie, was it the powers and the action, or the particular tone and style of the world saving fantasy. I can appreciate its existence on that level.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Since I know we have some listeners in here...should Podcasters With Attitude review this fanfilm thingie? I know virtually nothing about it other than that its "grimdark" apparently.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If you do, your RSS feeds are still all hosed up. Nothing past lost galactabeasts is showing up.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

greatn posted:

If you do, your RSS feeds are still all hosed up. Nothing past lost galactabeasts is showing up.

Wade has been notified.

Unrelated note: Anyone know how the gently caress podcast feeds work? We suck.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

greatn posted:

I'll go kick Wade into fixing it.

mind the walrus posted:

What's a good way to stay in the loop on this? I'd love to see a well-rounded take on a tokustatsu concept.

Right now? Just waiting. I need a good artist for the book, and while I'm in talks with a few, it's a slow boring process. I doubt the thread cares enough to hear any of this though so if you'd like to hear a bit more, I'd be fine to talk about it over PM.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

jivjov posted:

Since I know we have some listeners in here...should Podcasters With Attitude review this fanfilm thingie? I know virtually nothing about it other than that its "grimdark" apparently.

Yes. It's going to be the most high-profile "mainstream" Power Rangers-related material between now and whenever real news on the new movie comes out.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Every time a bad guy shows up that's too powerful for the current Rangers and they need a new toy your parents buy you weapon? That's planned obsolescence. Cities live in constant fear that they will be the next battleground in this fabricated war that has claimed millions and generated trillions in revenue for the people at the top.
Congrats on creating SPD?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Certainly among the older generation that tends to make up the movie going audience, yeah. That and its controversial, which always attracts new attention, even if it means they ignore the context of everything else.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

FilthyImp posted:

Congrats on creating SPD?
Never saw it. What do you mean?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Just don't over analyze it. I think it's a pretty
cool short just like the MK one. Like the costume designs except for Tommy's shield.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Never saw it. What do you mean?
It was mostly a joke, but SPD is actually, like, a law enforcement outfit. I think there's a few scenes of Delta Red harassing street criminals and poo poo in the series run.

But as with all LEOs, there's a group that goes renegade and SPD Delta squad has to order tactical SWATstyle gear and... it's a pretty odd look at law enforcement militarization if you strip away the kiddie fare.

So basically you have a galactic group of power-ranger cops running around power rangering in the name of the law. Sounds like a great Zord Industrial Complex thing similar to what was being proposed up there.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
What are the differences between the vimeo version that got taken down and youtube version of the Power/Rangers short?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I imagine blood n' tits. Standard stuff. I only watched the Vimeo version but I imagine the YT version didn't feature the Black Ranger in bed with 2 very buxom naked women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mind the walrus posted:

I imagine blood n' tits. Standard stuff. I only watched the Vimeo version but I imagine the YT version didn't feature the Black Ranger in bed with 2 very buxom naked women.

I wouldn't be so sure. So long as its marked right, youtube lets hard R movies on it whenever.

....Mind I ALSO need to watch the youtube version but you know