Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
It is extremely annoying that I can't sort the expense reports by the highest spending sub category.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

What's the best way to deal with biweekly paychecks? Right now my money isn't "aged" so maybe it's a bit worse.

Do I just take in my next paycheck and then just readjust my budget to where the extra 💰 is going? Eventually I'd like to get to the point where I am using the same budget for every month.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
back when I wasn't paid twice a month I just budgeted based on two paychecks a month and then the three paycheck months were a bonus

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

tater_salad posted:

What's the best way to deal with biweekly paychecks? Right now my money isn't "aged" so maybe it's a bit worse.

Do I just take in my next paycheck and then just readjust my budget to where the extra 💰 is going? Eventually I'd like to get to the point where I am using the same budget for every month.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

back when I wasn't paid twice a month I just budgeted based on two paychecks a month and then the three paycheck months were a bonus

I think this is a great strategy to build up a buffer so you can get your bills budgeted for a few days month in advance. In the meantime you can put your first paycheck to the essentials and the second to the fun stuff. Psychologically I think it's a good tactic to remember that you're trying to save money and the cash you have is for your subsistence.

If your budget is based on four weeks of income it'll take about 14 weeks until you've got enough saved for a month's budget.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

We also did this. Both my wife and I were working at the same place so had the same fortnightly pay schedule, it was a great way to increase our buffer even further and also progress on voluntary lump sum mortgage repayments.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

StormDrain posted:

If your budget is based on four weeks of income it'll take about 14 weeks until you've got enough saved for a month's budget.

How I put this into practice. I put my extra into a temp category until it was enough for my monthly expenses. Once I hit that point, I budgeted the next month for the funds in that category, and every new paycheck is now held in to be budgeted until the next month. Budgeting only happens on the first Saturday of the month. Before I got to this point, I budgeted per paycheck from top category to bottom (arranged most important to least).

Giant Metal Robot fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 7, 2019

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Giant Metal Robot posted:

How I put this into practice. I put my extra into a temp category until it was enough for my monthly expenses. Once I hit that point, I budgeted the next month for the funds in that category, and every new paycheck is now held in to be budgeted until the next month. Budgeting only happens on the first Saturday of the month. Before I got to this point, I budgeted per paycheck from top category to bottom (arranged most important to least).

I did something similar but I kept that temp category and named it Next Month. I store any income that comes in the current month there, turn on the 1st I move it into to be budgeted and allocate it out.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Which is another reason as to why I'd probably not like automatic updates. I can pretend I have both paychecks and budget accordingly each month just being careful not to pay out more than is in my actual account.

My mental budget does weird poo poo like. My 2nd paycheck of the month goes to rent for the following month and the following check (first few days of month) pays out my child support (paid once a month) I really would like to see a budget software that has a 2 week schedule.

I'll get there I guess.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 8, 2019

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
YNAB and all the software mentioned in this thread is about implementing zero-based budgeting. It sounds like you're not really interested in that? That's fine of course, you should definitely do what works best for you. But you're just going to end up extremely frustrated (seriously!) trying use software mentioned in this thread with any other kind of budgeting method.

There's the Getting Started Guide, Free Live Workshops and a huge library of videos. You can use the YNAB free trial while learning and then go on to use any of the software we frequently mention in here (YNAB, Financier, Budgetwise, EveryDollar etc). The goal should be to learn and use zero based budgeting, if that's not your goal, then none of this software is the answer.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

it's 100% my goal and I understand Giving every dollar a job / building up areas like "car repair" and "Clothes" and "Gym" (My guy gets paid every 8 weeks not 4), as well as doing things like building a little buffer for grocery etc.

The thing that I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around is if I'm making 1,500 every 2 weeks (3,000 a months depending on pay day) how am I minimizing my time dicking around in the software (readjusting budget for my second paycheck), or is that just a fact life with zero based budgeting?

Do I take each time I get paid and then adjust my budget for the month (Since a new one wont' roll over until next month)? Do I just start the month listing the 2 pay transactions I expect and then budget for that?

Vinz Clortho
Jul 19, 2004

The idea is that you only assign the money into categories as it comes in (i.e. as you get paid). If you're fully budgeted for the month, you assign it to categories for the next month, and so on. It's not really conducive to a hands-off approach.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Okay got it, I'll keep on it. I'm enjoy budgeting so far and honestly will help me probably spend more on some stuff as I generally hold back on things like clothes etc because I'd rather hold on to the cash.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

tater_salad posted:

The thing that I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around is if I'm making 1,500 every 2 weeks (3,000 a months depending on pay day) how am I minimizing my time dicking around in the software (readjusting budget for my second paycheck), or is that just a fact life with zero based budgeting?

Do I take each time I get paid and then adjust my budget for the month (Since a new one wont' roll over until next month)? Do I just start the month listing the 2 pay transactions I expect and then budget for that?

Note this becomes instantly easier once you stop living paycheck to paycheck. If you have an entire month's expenses saved up ahead of time, you just spread it all out on the first of the month to your categories. Any income that comes in during that same month just gets assigned to a savings category. Then it doesn't matter when a paycheck comes in (or if its 2 per month, 3 per month) because you aren't worrying about it until the following month.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

tater_salad posted:

it's 100% my goal and I understand Giving every dollar a job / building up areas like "car repair" and "Clothes" and "Gym" (My guy gets paid every 8 weeks not 4), as well as doing things like building a little buffer for grocery etc.

If/when you have enough of a buffer, you can assign your incoming paychecks to a 'budget for next month' category. Then when a new month starts, move the money back out of that category into 'to be budgeted', and do your budgeting for the month.

This does require you to have enough money saved up that you can just leave your paychecks essentially unbudgeted until the next month is there.

Under no circumstance should you try budgeting money you haven't received yet, that's not how this works. So until you're buffered up, you'll have to budget every 2 weeks.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

FateFree posted:

Note this becomes instantly easier once you stop living paycheck to paycheck. If you have an entire month's expenses saved up ahead of time, you just spread it all out on the first of the month to your categories. Any income that comes in during that same month just gets assigned to a savings category. Then it doesn't matter when a paycheck comes in (or if its 2 per month, 3 per month) because you aren't worrying about it until the following month.

Ive debated moving that buffet over from my "savings don't touch" account, but I'd rather just build that buffer up over time. The way I've done it before was to basically take my end of month balance prior to getting paid again and dump my leftover into savings. It May not be bfc approved but I'd get anxious pulling a paychecks worth back over to usable money.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

To each his own, but when you start embracing this style of budget, your bank account balances will no longer mean anything to you, because you will trust in your category allocations instead. It took me a few months to get in that mindset, so maybe you need to arrive there naturally.

Although at the same time it would be so much simpler to use that money as a buffer, it's not like you would be using any more or less than you are today, you are just giving it a smarter job of Buffer rather than Savings.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

This is what I would do if we life-swapped but I kept all my budgeting knowledge:

1) Take 2 paychecks worth of your savings and transfer it in to checking. Add it to my Next Month category.
2) Continue living the rest of this month however you are used to doing it. On June 1st everything changes.
3) June 1st, move that next month money to all of your categories for June. This is ALL the money you are allowed to spend this month.
4) Any income in June goes to the next month category. If/when that amount exceeds your monthly expenses, the extra goes into an Emergency Savings category. *
5) Rinse repeat until I have 3-6 months saved up in emergency

It might be a drastic change to you, but that's how you switch from Paycheck to Paycheck to Buffered.

* Keep in mind this amount does NOT need to correlate with a savings bank account. I personally like to keep 10k in checking and transfer anything above that over to my savings account, but this has nothing to do with my budget. I'll just periodically look and say whoops my checking account is above 10k, let me move the rest to savings. Don't try to keep your savings account balance in sync with your buffer/emergency savings categories - that's not the point.

FateFree fucked around with this message at 14:12 on May 8, 2019

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
It's all about the categories, man. The balances are just natural consequences of where the money happens to reside at any moment in time. The categories gives the money its job.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

For a long time I was having a hard time with YNAB because “aaaaaaaa I cant keep building this buffer so I have next month money” and quitting every few months

And then I just shifted my savings over to work as that month buffer (which totally sucked, seeing my savings ‘disappear’) and everything has been good and fine for the past five years

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Sockser posted:

For a long time I was having a hard time with YNAB because “aaaaaaaa I cant keep building this buffer so I have next month money” and quitting every few months

And then I just shifted my savings over to work as that month buffer (which totally sucked, seeing my savings ‘disappear’) and everything has been good and fine for the past five years

same, it felt like we were taking a big risk because the savings account went down by a month's salary but it really did change everything and make the whole thing just work.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Put the savings account on budget, and then create a category to stuff all surplus you don't want to touch into that category. Where the money is exactly doesn't matter, it's internal accounting on your part. If you can cover all daily expenses with your checking account, fine, if not, transfer money from savings. And then back when you get paid.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Agreeing with all three if the last posts. Sane story here. Shifting my savings to on-budget and building a buffer has allowed me to save so much more easily.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I work freelance so my income changes a lot but I’d like to budget my money better

Is ynab good for freelancers or is it better for people with predictable income?

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Snowy posted:

I work freelance so my income changes a lot but I’d like to budget my money better

Is ynab good for freelancers or is it better for people with predictable income?

Yes, but you need a bigger buffer than a regular employee because your income may come in fewer, larger chunks. 3 months worth? It depends on your income. But once the buffer is in place youll budget the same as anyone else.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

YNAB’s price is going up again “to more accurately reflect the value you get from the software”

gently caress off with that

Like I’m grandfathered into beta pricing but the language around their price hikes really loving sticks in my craw

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Wtf-how much is it going to be now?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I may switch to budgetwise first of this month only being in a little bit. It's a small hassle entering in the info but my guess is it'll be 100/yr which Imo I'd rather pay 100 once and just deal with manual entry.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
when/where did they announce another price increase?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Sockser posted:

YNAB’s price is going up again “to more accurately reflect the value you get from the software”

gently caress off with that

Like I’m grandfathered into beta pricing but the language around their price hikes really loving sticks in my craw

I haven’t seen this anywhere yet.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I saw a message that said "you probably already know we take the user experience very seriously" and I probably made the most incredulous face of my entire life.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Sockser posted:

Wait, what? Another time?

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I haven't seen any message about that either and I'm subscribed to all the things I think? The last email I got was this massive update

A multi paragraph blog post about how they changed the contrast slightly.

NYNAB still isn't in feature parity with YNAB 4 is it? Still missing advanced reporting? A second price hike would be pretty :lol:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

What's missing from reporting is mostly Spending by Payee and the ability to drill down to single categories on the bar charts (you can make do by fiddling the category list, but what the hell). Reporting on mobile is a loving shitshow. Conversely, the web app lacks the Age of Money graph the mobile one has, and they said that they're definitely not going to implement that one in the web app either.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

One possibility is that I'm crazy

Another is that I got this notification today:

Xik posted:

I haven't seen any message about that either and I'm subscribed to all the things I think? The last email I got was this massive update

A multi paragraph blog post about how they changed the contrast slightly.

NYNAB still isn't in feature parity with YNAB 4 is it? Still missing advanced reporting? A second price hike would be pretty :lol:
and had never cleared the notification from the last time they cranked the rates

But I swear I saw a thing saying it was going to $8 a month

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Hard pass on subscription software. I'm totally OK with buying a fully featured software once. I'll even get a new version in a couple of years if the new features are great. Software producers must know the kind of blue sky growth and profit available when everyone was buying their first computers is over and this is a way of maximizing profit. I'm not interested in helping, you'll just have to earn less money.

Mostly directed to Microsoft office. I'd be happy using word 2003, my letter writing needs haven't gotten any more complex since then.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

StormDrain posted:

Hard pass on subscription software. I'm totally OK with buying a fully featured software once. I'll even get a new version in a couple of years if the new features are great. Software producers must know the kind of blue sky growth and profit available when everyone was buying their first computers is over and this is a way of maximizing profit. I'm not interested in helping, you'll just have to earn less money.

Mostly directed to Microsoft office. I'd be happy using word 2003, my letter writing needs haven't gotten any more complex since then.

lol Adobe has started cancelling people's CS5 licenses

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Someone needs to cancel Adobe. I think I'm probably done with giving those muppets my money each month to be honest.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
dropbox + desktop software = suddely everything is cloud-powered with no monthly subscriptions! (except for dropbox which is actually good)

for real though, if YNAB is going up _again_ then i'm not going to bother and I'll find another budgeting solution that doesn't involve a subscription.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Just keep in mind that eventually, Dropbox is going to update their APIs and YNAB will stop updating the desktop software.

My biggest complaint with YNAB4 was that every other week, either my wife or I would get the "the desktop version triggered a re-sync," and would make you reload your budget, blowing away a week or two worth of transactions for... reasons. Not dealing with that, getting auto-import for transactions I forget to manually enter, and the new budget balance color contrasts make it entirely worth the cost.

But yeah, gently caress them if they keep increasing the price though. There have been no meaningful features added in the past forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I like how you're all bitching about a price increase that's not even happening