Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Of course, it has to come in a way that he still has no chance to win. Too bad, he is and always has been a class act.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
That's awesome. Although knowing Jim he probably took longer than the bloke who shot 80.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Just got home from my first round with the new putter, and the verdict is in: :getin:

Still shot 104 because I am hot garbage between 80 yards to chipping beside the green, but not a single 3 putt and I was putting my putts exactly where I wanted. Still need to get a feel for distances but man it felt good to leave every putt that didnt go in within tap in range. Left 2 40+ foot putts inside 10 inches. :feelsgood:

Now that hard part, figuring out my approach shots.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I want the Vapor fly pro 2 iron but they are damned near impossible to buy except from like 2 online stores that have so so reviews. :(

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I booked a 10 on a Par 4 Saturday, good times. :suicide:

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

Keyser S0ze posted:

Never Forget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YefULut6YrA

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Scotland happens Thursday.

Thursday.

Scotland.

:f5:

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Keyser S0ze posted:

I had my big Member-Guest this weekend, my boss and I had our best scoring round ever on Saturday at -4 to put us into a three way tie for first in our flight. Sunday we played with one of the other -4 teams, they tripled a par 4 (dogleg left, river OB left, in-course OB right) and just imploded. We shot even on Sunday to take 5th place in our flight of 28 teams, so for the second year we made a profit for a weekend of golf! If I could have hit my irons Sunday we would've made a couple hundred more but I'm still thrilled with a -4 final score, I wasn't expecting that after we were +2 on our Friday practice round.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Shot a 94 yesterday. In the spring, I would have been thrilled. Now I know I could have done a lot better if I was just more conservative on the back 9. On the positive side, only one lost ball and nothing above a 7. I need to stop working on my swing all the time and spend 2 days a week working on putting. 3 putts are the death of a good round.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah, I spent about 2 hours yesterday at the short game range doing nothing but working on my chips and pitches. It's amazing how many strokes I'm giving away by half-assing my chipping and pitching.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Had a really good front 9 this morning. I got a little less free-wheeling going into the back, I guess trying to keep it in red numbers.

Hole 1 - Got away with a mediocre drive and a thinned 3W to probably 50 yards short of the green, then hit a dandy pitch to 3 feet.

Hole 3 - Laid up off the tee with that 3W, then hit a good wedge to a tucked pin. Drained an 18 footer.

Hole 5 - Again, didn't hit a great drive, so I laid up with an iron. Hit a 54 degree to 4 feet.

Hole 6 - Hit an okayish 4i that missed just short right and left me with an easy up and down.

Hole 7 - Finally fixed the driver problem. Good drive, and really flushed that 3W again. Came up 25 yards short of the green, but it was a straight forward pitch. Misjudged the landing spot, but I made a 15 footer for birdie.

Hole 9 - Hit an 8i to 10 feet, made that.

Hole 10 - Hit a driver just through the fairway (sort of a dogleg right with water all along the right), and I hit a little hooky 9 iron onto the green and nearly three putted.

Hole 11 - Definitely hit this one through the fairway, but I laid up again (not a thing I normally do), and then hit a good enough wedge from 85 yards. Couldn't read the putt, almost 3 putted again.

Hole 12 - Definitely thought I played this one well enough to birdie. Cut driver to 50 yards, stopped my wedge pin high, lipped out the birdie from 10 feet.

Hole 13 - Hit a godawful 4i that mercifully stopped short of the greenside bunker. Hit a very aggressive pitch (not really wanting to make a bogey), but I landed it at the hole instead of short. Made a ticklish 15 footer down the hill. Was super pumped.

Hole 14 - In fact, I was so pumped, I hooked my next tee shot into some palm trees. I managed to lay up without hitting through the fairway, and then I flushed an 8i to the back of the green when it should have been a stock 9i. Had around 50 feet to go, left my first one 6 feet short, and the putting gods finally left me for good. Bogey.

Hole 15 - Mashed a driver, pitched on from 30 feet and tapped in for birdie.

Hole 17 - Really wanted this one. Hit a wedge exactly pin high, 12 feet right. Uphill, right to left. Left it 6 inches short.

Hole 18 - Smoked a 3W to the end of the fairway, hit a PW a little left of where I wanted, but still had a chance from 20 feet to finish under par on the back 9. BIrdie putt was absolute garbage, though. Made a 3 footer for par.

I'd like to thank EnsGDT for the RZN Blacks. I really like them!

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kameh posted:

Had a really good front 9 this morning. I got a little less free-wheeling going into the back, I guess trying to keep it in red numbers.

Thats a fantastic round! What is your handicap like?

And what app are you guys using to post these scorecards?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

zapplez posted:

That's Golfshot GPS

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

zapplez posted:

Single digit. Golfshot says +0.4, but I'm probably closer to a 4 hdcp now.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kameh posted:

Single digit. Golfshot says +0.4, but I'm probably closer to a 4 hdcp now.
That's what you get for playing 6300 yard courses with sub-70 ratings. :colbert:

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Josh Lyman posted:

That's what you get for playing 6300 yard courses with sub-70 ratings. :colbert:

I like making birdies. :blush:

Plus, I didn't even average 260 off the tee that round. Don't want to mess with a 7,000 yard course in the Galveston wind and Texas heat. That's just no fun!

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Hey 5 under is 5 under, and that's still 2.7 better than the course rating so I'd say you're better than a 4 handicap since that wasn't exactly a freak round for you.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Suprfli6 posted:

Hey 5 under is 5 under, and that's still 2.7 better than the course rating so I'd say you're better than a 4 handicap since that wasn't exactly a freak round for you.

Thanks. I'll try to post a decent round tomorrow.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

I mean sure Jimmers shot a 58, but it was a par 70 course so I mean PSH whatever bro

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

EnsGDT posted:

I mean sure Jimmers shot a 58, but it was a par 70 course so I mean PSH whatever bro
More like 58* :colbert:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

So here's 2 of the 3 courses I'm playing this year:

Royal Dornoch Championship Course - World class links course and celebrating its 400th anniversary. Sits right up against the wide open Dornoch Firth, right where it opens up to the North Sea. The course itself is probably the most pure links course you'll find in Scotland, and widely regarded as one of the best links courses in the world. As the scorecard shows, it is by no means a long course (there are only 2 par 5s), but holy drat it sure can be if the wind is up. There's absolutely nothing blocking the wind coming in off the water, and it will come into play on every hole.

Side note, holy poo poo every card on every course should have a pace of play clock. That is awesome. It's also 100% necessary here because this place gets booked up to an incredible degree.

Do you like crowned greens? Because this place has a whooollleee fuckin' bunch of them! You can genuinely use a putter from 50-60 yards back at times because holy lol if you think a pitch or a lob (if the wind even allows it) is going to check up. poo poo just does not happen on them. If you can either roll up a long distance putt or have a pretty good 7 or 8-iron punch shot, you'll do alright here.

Staff aren't great and the clubhouse is an afterthought, but that's not why you're here. You're here because this course is 400 loving years old and is 100% pure Scottish links golf.

Castle Stuart - If you go to the highlands (hell, if you go to Scotland at all) and you somehow don't play this course, I will find you and will punch you directly in the throat. Also the balls. Maybe both at the same time, I have a pretty long reach.

Castle Stuart opened in 2009 and has already hosted 4 Scottish Open tournaments, including the 2016 edition just before this year's British Open. It sits more inland than Royal Dornoch, on the Moray Firth, so wind is less a factor, but not much less. It is not the hardest course I've ever played, and certainly far from the easiest, but it is far and away the best designed course I've ever played. The designers here managed to find the most perfect balance between fun and challenge, which is really goddamn hard to do. gently caress me this place is goddamn beautiful too. Go GIS it.

Phil Mickelson posted:

It should almost be a prerequisite to play Castle Stuart before you’re allowed to design golf courses nowadays.

Here's a much better breakdown of what the course offers than I can tell. This largely plays a bit shorter than Dornoch, and lets you attack it in quite a few different ways. You can go big and risky if you want and get away with a bit more than you think you might be able to, but it will also very much reward playing safe. Course guide/card gives you a really good idea of what you look at here. This is basically a course where bombing away or playing safe are both fine to do, but god help you if you get off into anything more than the 1st cut of rough. There is a shitload of gorse, heather, and long grass where finding the ball is 100% impossible. Drop another and move on.

I can't say enough about the staff here as well. They really want to make sure you enjoy yourself and hire out some fantastic caddies. The clubhouse is beautiful. The practice green is the size of half a goddamn football field. Every view is gorgeous. loving go play this course right now. They're already opening up a second course and some cabins/cottages as well. Go right now.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Again, good front 9, but the wheels sorta came off on the back 9.

Hit 10 greens in a row, including the Amen Corner par 5 (#7) in two. First birdie was from 3 feet on hole 1, and the Amen Corner birdie was a two putt from 30 feet. The pin was up front, and I laced a 4i that should have caught the slope of the top tier and funneled right back. It hit right into the slope...and stayed. That was frustrating, as it should have left me with an eagle putt inside of 5 feet.

Hole 9 is the Sawgrass hole. The play was to hit something long and into the slope behind the hole and let it funnel down. I hit a PW at the top part of the slope...and it stayed up. Two in a row was extremely frustrating.

Hole 10 was driver - 3W - pitch from 29 yards to 4 feet. Easy.

Hole 11 is where my luck ran out. Didn't hit a 5i great, but I left it pin high right on the apron with no rough and an uphill, straightforward chip. Left it 5 feet short because I wasn't aggressive enough AND I caught it a little on the toe. Yanked the par putt enough to miss the hole.

Hole 12 should have been a birdie after a great drive and nice 8i to 15 feet, but it hung on the edge.

Hole 13 just about broke me. It's a replica of one of the Pebble Beach par 5s. I hit an okayish drive that left me 270+. I hit a 3W just to leave short of the green, but I tugged it and watched it run and run and run and run into the woods. I found it and actually had a clear pitch to the green. Hit a GORGEOUS pitch off the pine straw, over a bunker to an elevated green, AND landed it short of the pin. There's a huge slope left and behind the hole, and I got to see my ball check up in the fringe right behind the hole...and stay there. I tossed 3 balls at the same spot and couldn't get them to stay. The "birdie putt" from the fringe was impossibly fast. Left a 10 footer 15 feet past the hole, and I left the par putt 3 inches short. Even putting 90 degrees away from the hole couldn't get it to stop.

Hole 14 is the Church Pews hole from Oakmont. Hit a drive just over the bunkers, then I nuked a PW over the green. Hit a good pitch to 8 feet, but I couldn't make that one, either. Back to even.

Hole 15 - Short par 4. Found myself in a fairway bunker, then duffed it into a greenside bunker, then splashed out to...40 feet. Two putt bogey.

Missed birdie putts on 16 and 17.

Hole 18 - Blue Monster Hole 18 from Doral - Smoked a drive, hit a PW 15 feet left of the hole. Wanted to give it a run, and it banged off the back of the hole and dropped. Probably would have run 6 feet past, but I'll take it.

tl;dr - Good front 9, got some unlucky breaks where my ball didn't take the slope as I thought it should have. Woe is me.

Kameh fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 10, 2016

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Looks like you are either the most consistent golfer of all time, or you've got yesterday's round in your app posted again lol.

I paired up with a guy who's a cook at my clubhouse and is a really solid golfer this afternoon, and I was rattling off birdies like crazy. We played the front nine twice and I was under par each time, why the hell can't I do that when there's money on the line damnit.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 10, 2016

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Suprfli6 posted:

Looks like you are either the most consistent golfer of all time, or you've got yesterday's round in your app posted again lol.

Whoops! Thanks.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Man, I was happy with my 80 today, and then saw Kameh's round(s).

I gotta say, I could easily have shot a 75 today. I had no real looks at birdie all day, but was making really good putts from all distances. I had 30 putts, which I needed since I only hit 7 of 18 greens. Some of that was a good thing, though, since I was consistently out-hitting my average distances with my irons, and so missed long on 4 of those greens. I was also chipping from around the green much better than normal, so I had 3 one putts inside a foot. Disconcerting on one hole to hit what I thought was a perfect approach to an elevated green, repairing my ball mark 1 foot in front of the hole, and then having to attempt my 30' downhill putt.

Of course, the problem is, my handicap is going to be way too low for my consistent game. I know that's how it's supposed to work, but I feel like I'm more of a 10/11 and I'm sitting at 7.6 right now.

(edit) Oh, 6577 yards, 71.4/136.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

I had amazing ball striking today and just completely poo poo the bed around the greens but such is life. Back to the practice area :)

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Haven't golfed in 3 weeks :(

Because we finally bought a house and have been doing house poo poo since! :) Never...moving...again!

But, I think we're finally settled in enough that I can sneak out tomorrow after lunch!

Also, the house is in a golf and country club and the course is one of my favs in the area!

We're not directly on the course but it's a short 5 min walk from my house to the clubhouse.

Also, I found an online store with the vapor fly pro 2 iron I wanted and ordered it on Monday, doesn't look like it'll get here for tomorrows round but I still stoked to try it out.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Congrats bud :cheers:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

DJExile posted:

Congrats bud :cheers:

Thanks man!

I've been busting my rear end painting/doing flooring and other misc poo poo for those 3 weeks so it'll be nice to finally get out again. Put it this way, I was coming to work to relax for a few hours from doing all that poo poo lol

My wife thought this was funny

At least I got a kickin game room/office!

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

mattfl posted:

Because we finally bought a house and have been doing house poo poo since! :) Never...moving...again!

Congrats dude. I hope this is me in a year.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kameh posted:

Congrats dude. I hope this is me in a year.

I can't wait to see a picture of Sergio carrying you into the front door :3:

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

DJExile posted:

I can't wait to see a picture of Sergio carrying you into the front door :3:

BRB, telling the wife I have a new plan for my life.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kameh posted:

BRB, telling the wife I have a new plan for my life.

He's a strong guy, I'm sure he can hold you both

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

:arghfist:

Mr. Edwards

Because of the news from Nike, orders have been stopped on all new clubs. However your order was done before the stoppage so your order is still good however it is backordered until September 9th. Your club will be one of the last Vapor Fly’s ever to be built in the world however. When it ships we will send you a tracking number. Thank you very much for your order.

The Golf Club

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That both sucks and is kinda neat at the same time. At least they got the order in early enough.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Congrats on the house mattfl.

I live in Los Angeles, so I will never own a house. BUT new golf clubs I think I can manage. :D

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

all I have between now and taking off for scotland is a quick meeting tomorrow morning. i'm sitting here at work and I have completely checked out

i need my 40MPH winds and morning lucozade and push carts dammit :arghfist::sigh:

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

DJExile posted:

all I have between now and taking off for scotland is a quick meeting tomorrow morning. i'm sitting here at work and I have completely checked out

i need my 40MPH winds and morning lucozade and push carts dammit :arghfist::sigh:

Pound an Irn Bru for me, broseph.

God I wish I were back in Scotland.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
So I got a wild hair to grab some Nike golf balls on the cheap. The factory outlet is selling them for about $21, but they're last year's model. The newest generation has some cool stuff going on with the dimples (looks like a dozen pin pricks inside each dimple), plus they did some cross-stitching with the resin core. EnsGDT sent me one dozen of the latest generation (what a swell guy), and I really like them. I can't tell how good they are compared to the last generation, but Golfsmith is selling the new generation for a bit less than $30. So, $10 difference between the generations.

I'm waiting on a hook-up at Nike to come through for me to get them for about $22, but if that falls through, I'll just go to LostGolfBalls for them.

And even though I was on the hunt for golf balls, I wandered into the driver section at Golfsmith and tested out a few of the Nike drivers they're clearing out. The hybrids are $89, fairway woods are $99, and the drivers (all versions of the Vapor Fly) are $149. I tried the Vapor Flex 440, but it wasn't performing for me as well as my F6+.

Then I found a demo Vapor Fly for $99...and it performed well. I walked away without buying it, but now I'm thinking I might go back and get it tomorrow.

On the way home, I called and asked how much they'd give me to trade in an R1 with an Oban Kiyoshi Purple shaft. They said $19, and I laughed this girl off the phone.

It's going up on eBay, unless a goon wants an early bird special for $150 shipped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

DJExile posted:

Black Pudding Supper drowned in HP as soon as you get off the plane or GTFO (I'm jelly)