Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I liked Gangs of New York when I seen it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Scorsese's worst for me is easily The Aviator and I don't think it's even close, but Gangs is definitely bottom-tier.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Hat Thoughts posted:

My brother kept us safe

The best part of that was it forced the issue and we got to see the candidates either talk about how the last president from their own party sucked or not going that far but still carefully avoiding saying anything too positive this all despite not really having any ideas different than what happened during the Bush year

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Lurdiak posted:

I liked Gangs of New York when I seen it...

I mean DDL is killing it as always and it's probably Cameron Diaz's best performance (such great heights), but it's just low tier Marty.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Raxivace posted:

Is there something wrong with The Color of Money? It's been years since I've seen it but while I thought it wasn't as good as The Hustler I don't remember hating it either.

It was also my first Scorsese fwiw.

I don't hate any Scorsese movie, The Color of Money is just kinda bland. Like you said, it's not as good as The Hustler and it ends up coming off a little forgettable. Dope performances though.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

GWB turning into Jimmy Carter is honestly sickening to me.

Is GW actually doing anything useful that helps people or is he just hiding in his ranch like a sad ghost?

ChickenMedium posted:

Call it The Trump Effect. Every past president is going to look better by contrast. "Sure W started a war to enrich his cronies that killed millions of innocent Iraqis, but at least he didn't try to systematically destroy every American governmental institution solely in service to his own ego."

The fact that there's an incoming administration that makes the Bush ghouls look good by comparison is downright terrifying.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Not to be outdone.

They Shot Dark Pictures, Didn't They? Vol. 1

Among The Living (1941)
Behind Locked Doors (1948)
The Big Combo (1955)
The Big Knife (1955)
Brute Force (1947)
Call Northside 777 (1948)
Caught (1949)
Cause For Alarm (1951)
Champion (1949)
The Chase (1946)
Christmas Holiday (1944)
Crack-Up (1936)
Crime of Passion (1957)
D.O.A. (1950)

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Is anyone else peeved by people roasting Trump about his tiny hands? Besides the body-shaming angle, it's also incredibly petty and ignores the myriad legitimate complaints about him as a person/politician. I say this as a dainty-handed man, and am posting it here rather than on social media because I don't want my friends and family to know how insecure I am about my hand size. I assure you there's no problem down there though.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Budgie Jumping posted:

Is anyone else peeved by people roasting Trump about his tiny hands? Besides the body-shaming angle, it's also incredibly petty and ignores the myriad legitimate complaints about him as a person/politician. I say this as a dainty-handed man, and am posting it here rather than on social media because I don't want my friends and family to know how insecure I am about my hand size. I assure you there's no problem down there though.

Better to make fun of his hands than his reverse penis that snakes itself inwardly through his body and out through his rear end in a top hat.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Budgie Jumping posted:

Is anyone else peeved by people joking about Trump's tiny hands? Besides the body-shaming angle, it's also incredibly petty and ignores the myriad legitimate complaints about him as a person/politician. I say this as a dainty-handed man, and am posting it here rather than on social media because I don't want my friends and family to know how insecure I am about my hand size. I assure you there's no problem down there though.

There's been a real dearth of good, cutting Trump jokes in general, honestly. People keep hitting the obvious ones, the spray tan, tiny hands, bad hair, and it just gets old. Spy hit it best with "short-fingered vulgarian" and nobody has really even come close to a line that elegant.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Budgie Jumping posted:

Is anyone else peeved by people joking about Trump's tiny hands? Besides the body-shaming angle, it's also incredibly petty and ignores the myriad legitimate complaints about him as a person/politician.
It keeps coming up because he was so obviously bothered by it. The man is so incredibly petty that anything gets under his skin. I think you could legitimately heckle him at an event and come off as the better person in the aftermath.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I Before E posted:

There's been a real dearth of good, cutting Trump jokes in general, honestly. People keep hitting the obvious ones, the spray tan, tiny hands, bad hair, and it just gets old. Spy hit it best with "short-fingered vulgarian" and nobody has really even come close to a line that elegant.

They're distracted by his awful handling of things. Like any Bond villain, his physical disfigurement is far overshadowed by his nefarious schemes.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Lobok posted:

They're distracted by his awful handling of things. Like any Bond villain, his physical disfigurement is far overshadowed by his nefarious schemes.

Having small hands isn't a physical disfigurement!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

weekly font posted:

Is Gangs of New York the worst Scorsese? I feel like I just watched his worst movie by a good amount.

*note: I have not seen The Aviator

There's no way it's worse than The Color of Money. Definitely better than Shutter Island. I'd rank it above Cape Fear too. And I haven't seen Boxcar Bertha, but I've also never seen anyone defend Boxcar Bertha.

The Aviator is probably "better," but I find Gangs of New York much more rewatchable.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
DDL and literally every other part of Gangs of New York are fine except Leo and Cameron Diaz.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Speaking of minor Scorsese, how is Bringing Out the Dead? I've never seen it.

Really, really good. Pairs well with After Hours and is probably even better.

DDL and literally every other part of Gangs of New York are fine except Leo and Cameron Diaz.

Yeah.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The bit parts, set design and soundtrack of Gangs are far from bottom tier anybody. If I'd compare it to anything, it would be Coppola's Dracula.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Gangs of New York is second only to Last Temptation in terms of production design (and use of Peter Gabriel). And I honestly don't get why people hate on Leo and Cameron so much.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Because they're quite bad. I love Leo but there's no way you're gonna say he was better in Wolf Of Wall Street than Jonah Hill.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Budgie Jumping posted:

Having small hands isn't a physical disfigurement!

On normal people, no. On Trump, yes.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The bit parts, set design and soundtrack of Gangs are far from bottom tier anybody. If I'd compare it to anything, it would be Coppola's Dracula.

The action scenes are very cool, especially the climactic one, it's overall a gorgeous movie, covers a cool period in history, and in addition to DDL giving maybe career best work (I like him more in Gangs than There Will Be Blood, honestly), you get awesome bit performances by Brendan Gleason and Jim Broadbent.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Because they're quite bad. I love Leo but there's no way you're gonna say he was better in Wolf Of Wall Street than Jonah Hill.

He's not a great actor, but who would have been a better choice for a role like that in 2002? Josh Hartnett?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I would watch a whole movie of John C. Reilly playing a paddy cop.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Got confused for a sec thinking you mean Argento's Dracula.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Whole lotta people poo poo talking Color of Money in here.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

The villains are the best part of every Mad Max movie.

My favorite part of any Mad Max is the little moment where Lord Humungus looks at an old photo.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
wtf you bizarro doofuses the aviator is great

Lobok posted:

Better to make fun of his hands than his reverse penis that snakes itself inwardly through his body and out through his rear end in a top hat.

Do you think Elastigirl gets up to go to the bathroom?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Budgie Jumping posted:

Gangs of New York is second only to Last Temptation in terms of production design (and use of Peter Gabriel). And I honestly don't get why people hate on Leo and Cameron so much.

Leo was a loving TERRIBLE actor for a long time, he just has an otherworldly level of charisma that covers up for it.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, more like The Bright, Garish, Borderline Tacky Wallpaper of Cherbourg.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

wtf you bizarro doofuses the aviator is great

The Aviator is only notable for DiCaprio drunkenly blurting out during a post-Oscars party that Michael Mann rewrote the whole thing uncredited.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
has any1 ever made Umbrellas of Cherbourg except its also Slacker, seems like an easy one 2 think of

e: i guess im just using umbrellas of cherbourg to describe a sung-thru musical, mostly

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

DC Murderverse posted:

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, more like The Bright, Garish, Borderline Tacky Wallpaper of Cherbourg.

I really want to like the Demy musicals, but man, with the exception of a couple moments I find them really tedious. You have to either really love stories about girls in love, or aimless French jazz/pop. They look phenomenal, though.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I really want to like the Demy musicals, but man, with the exception of a couple moments I find them really tedious. You have to either really love stories about girls in love, or aimless French jazz/pop. They look phenomenal, though.

Yeah, this is pretty much how I feel about Umbrellas. It's really colorful and boy howdy French women in the 60s are like the most stylish people in existence, but i feel slightly cold to it, which is odd because I watched La La Land again tonight (this time with my family), and loved it just as much.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I liked it. Music is going to be in my head for a few days. The combination of essentially ordinary life told through music worked for me. It's the sort of musical I like because it's not stylized to the point of not being believable. That's why I've generally disliked the MGM musicals, but like ones that sort of "clash" with themselves like Fiddler on the Roof or Cabaret.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

That's fair.

It's also got some very, very strange early 00s directing choices with slo-mo dutch angles and things that look straight out of a music video. Whether or not it's one of his worst overall films, it's easily bottom tier direction relative to his entire body of work.

Timby posted:

Leo was a loving TERRIBLE actor for a long time, he just has an otherworldly level of charisma that covers up for it.

He's better in GoNY than The Revenant.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Umbrellas of Cherbourg I would like more if the music did more for me & I actually spoke the language.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Really, really good. Pairs well with After Hours and is probably even better.

I was just telling one of the impressionable new guys at work how After Hours is my legit favorite Scorsese movie. There's something about a film that take place all in just one night that just gets to me. That Coppola Dracula/Gangs of New York comparison is pretty apt too, seeing as how they're both great movies in all but one aspect (Keanu/Leo).

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

DC Murderverse posted:

Yeah, this is pretty much how I feel about Umbrellas. It's really colorful and boy howdy French women in the 60s are like the most stylish people in existence, but i feel slightly cold to it, which is odd because I watched La La Land again tonight (this time with my family), and loved it just as much.

La La Land's music is a little more tin pan alley (jewish/black).

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Howard Hughes' film Hell's Angels is really good. Lots of crazy early talkie stuff like tinting, stencil color, Technicolor, and deliberately silent parts (an attack on a German airship uses intertitles to translate German).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Question 1: Is there an award for best animal in a movie?

Question 2: if so, did the cat from Gone Girl win?

Question 3: if no to either Q1 or Q2, why?

• Locked thread