Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
sometimes I think about how the "the A in LGBTQIA stands for ally!!!" people are saying that cishet people belong in LGBTQIA and ace people don't and I start frowning

Also re: imposter syndrome: I'm a bi man in a relationship with a bi woman. Does that mean it's a bi relationship :pseudo:

ate all the Oreos posted:

i used to tell people i was pan until a furry got the wrong idea because apparently that means "dtf anthro animals" to some people and now i'm bi unless i know the audience

jit bull transpile posted:

There's also some really insidious attempts to associate furries and otherkin with queer identities.

if anyone tried either of these around any of the other queer furries I know they would get hollered out of the room

most furries are queer ≠ furries are queer

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

:awesome:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
i wish i could have made it out to pride toronto this year, jobs are bullshit

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
i'm glad that pride exists and i'm glad that i went out to both of ours for the first time in many years, but my brain is too poisoned by irony to enjoy all the brands.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The only reason brands support pride is because they think it will increase shareholder value.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

sure, that’s the sort of society we live in. better than the alternative

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i've mentioned it before but when i went to our local pride it seemed more like some kind of minstrel show for straight people and brands to feel good about supporting those wacky gays than any sort of actual like, celebration or anything.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

OldAlias posted:

sure, that’s the sort of society we live in. better than the alternative

Oh I agree. But to me it still seems like they're encroaching on a space that they don't belong in. It's not at a in earnest. They only really care because it makes them look good so they can sell more stuff. Like a person who partied all night and shows up the next morning after everything is already cleaned up and picks up three empty bottles and is like "look at me I'm helping out so much I'm such a good person".

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

oh for sure, 100%. it helped to learn that some of those branded groups are created by real people who organize for their collective benefit under their employer, though this is not always the case.

pride is complicated and ymwv depending on your locality. check out the other events / parties and poo poo going on adjacent to pride proper, stuff more organized by and for the community

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

OldAlias posted:

oh for sure, 100%. it helped to learn that some of those branded groups are created by real people who organize for their collective benefit under their employer, though this is not always the case.

pride is complicated and ymwv depending on your locality. check out the other events / parties and poo poo going on adjacent to pride proper, stuff more organized by and for the community

you mean like the separate but equal trans remembrance parade that we weren't even allowed to have until recently? because that was totally a thing too and boy was that loving shameful

all my friends inform me that all the prides in their respective locales are similarly awful and that pride generally isn't cool among the hip young queer crowd anymore because it's hyper-commercial and mostly for and by straight people. i mean if yours isn't loving poison more power to you but yeahhhhh

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

lmao completely by coincidence my friend just linked me this trainwreck:

https://twitter.com/inafried/status/1010962658638483456

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

nooooo god that sucks. there are probably cool things going on, but it depends where you are. the underground party scene / after hours is historically queer as gently caress, but even aside from that there’s probably something not-pride going on that’s alright

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

OldAlias posted:

nooooo god that sucks. there are probably cool things going on, but it depends where you are. the underground party scene / after hours is historically queer as gently caress, but even aside from that there’s probably something not-pride going on that’s alright

when i went was the year they moved it from the traditionally gay district with all the clubs and gay-owned businesses to the swank waterfront district with all the high-class restaurants so they'd benefit from it instead :thumbsup:

oh well, at least i got to drink and eat tacos

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

lmao completely by coincidence my friend just linked me this trainwreck:

https://twitter.com/inafried/status/1010962658638483456

ew

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
The key to pride is to avoid the stupid parade and oust hang out in gay areas because there will be lots of unofficial events happening that are way better. I participated in a trans march and a dyke march this year, which both had long festivals before hand and many after parties afterward. Most major cities' prides will be like this. Ignore the sanitized main event.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Having some Feelings about how physical pain keeps me from expressing gender how I'd prefer. :smith: Also about to be traveling for ~20 hours today. Sigh.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I got a rainbow water bottle, so I have that going for me.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

WrenP-Complete posted:

Having some Feelings about how physical pain keeps me from expressing gender how I'd prefer. :smith: Also about to be traveling for ~20 hours today. Sigh.

E-hugs. You're having spinal issues, right?

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
Here are a lot more photos a friend of mine (borrowing my camera) took of the first half or so of SF pride before we ran out of batteries, and then got bored and left.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ir6yei4qdnnx338/AAApNRxFd-U_swRPDesuF9dSa?dl=0

(currently ~150 more uploading as I type this).

There were some corporate entries that felt tacky, but the politicians were what felt really weird to me every time one went by.

I was like half sad that my tech company wasn't represented but the showings of the other tech companies definitely felt weird.

I'm a tech lawyer, and the one law firm that had a spot in the parade (unless one went by in the second half or so) definitely looked like the sent all their summer associates to march, and nobody else from the firm besides maybe some support staff was there.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
gave a talk in front of an audience yesterday with a friend of mine and we managed to enjoy an hour of being mansplained

i finally feel like a woman

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
timb marches with the Apple group in SF

the Pride watch bands were originally must for employees who marched

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

eschaton posted:

timb marches with the Apple group in SF

the Pride watch bands were originally must for employees who marched

Otoh, they made everyone wear pants and apple t-shirts which is kinda gentrifying the gently caress out of pride.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Lain Iwakura posted:

gave a talk in front of an audience yesterday with a friend of mine and we managed to enjoy an hour of being mansplained

i finally feel like a woman

Congrats?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

sorry. it was the misandrist side of me coming out

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Lain Iwakura posted:

no see the fact that men are mansplaining at you is good and as a man let me tell you why

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Lain Iwakura posted:

That was sarcastic :) Boyz drool girl rule

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

when i went was the year they moved it from the traditionally gay district with all the clubs and gay-owned businesses to the swank waterfront district with all the high-class restaurants so they'd benefit from it instead :thumbsup:

oh well, at least i got to drink and eat tacos

yeah we went from gay-adjacent area to downtown a number of years ago. there was some kind of gross internecine political fight which i couldn't be bothered to pay attention to behind the scenes. now there just is a cute etsy-shop-and-food-trucks spread of booths in that area as a contrast to the big corporate sponsored march downtown.

i mean, it's fine? i'm glad we have allies. i'm glad that a whole bunch of people come out and stand and catch beads from the gas company & monsanto & the police. it's fine.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
https://twitter.com/KateLibc/status/1011245639777185792

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
I got to carry the Bi flag for my company at Seattle's pride. Yeah it was still a company doing it but they let us dress however (but provided sparkly shirts if we wanted) and had flags from a ridiculous number of spectrum types. I liked that it help me feel a bit better about being me. There was a lot of youngins who liked the fact that we had all the different flags and that made me feel good.

https://twitter.com/Microsoft/status/1011041719062654976

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
just did a therapy sesh to get my second letter and its the most frustrating experience. its like, i already poured out my heart and soul to a therapist and got myself to a good place mentally. now at the dicta of the harry benjamin society i must retread all the trauma i worked my way through to prove i'm worthy of permanent dick transformation to the satisfaction of a bunch of assholes in labcoats who've never experienced dysphoria in their life. gatekeeping is poo poo and wpath is poo poo.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
In slight summation,

just did a therapy sesh to get my second letter and its the most frustrating experience. its like, i already poured out my heart and soul to a therapist and got myself to a good place mentally. now at the dicta of the harry benjamin society i must retread all the trauma i worked my way through to prove i'm worthy of permanent dick transformation to the satisfaction of a bunch of assholes in labcoats who've never experienced dysphoria in their life. gatekeeping is poo poo and wpath is poo poo.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Captain Capacitor posted:

In slight summation,

not really

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

it's "fun" to rewrite this using more physical issues

"instead of looking at the xrays, the cast over your arm, or the medical record saying you broke your arm, to verify that your arm is indeed broken, we will need to remove the cast and try twisting your arm in various ways to ensure it is broken. don't worry the excruciating pain is normal lol im a doctor"

gatekeeping is a huge pile of fuckin horseshit

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
unrelated, i am waiting for a second assessment myself. i called the place i need to call to get it and they have a 1-week turnaround for getting back to me (yay)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Lain Iwakura posted:

unrelated, i am waiting for a second assessment myself. i called the place i need to call to get it and they have a 1-week turnaround for getting back to me (yay)

WAITING LISTS

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

to be fair i was told that they'd just give me the two letters and tell me that i am tentatively approached for government funding so yeah

her majesty's government is paying for my bottom surgery in the end

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

as a murican I get to get on the waiting list to speak to a surgeon for a first consult next month, and have been advised it will be over a year until I speak with them and absolutely nothing except hrt will be covered except as they decide so weee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

my brit friend gave up trying to get the NHS to treat her seriously years ago and now just buys everything from online pharmacies for insane markup. according to her you have to go through evaluations where the person evaluating you has the goal of disproving your trans-ness by asking you things like "do you find yourself more attractive as your preferred gender? yes? A HA you must just have AGP and fetishize it, you're not really trans." she's got so much else going on mentally that she really doesn't need other people intentionally trying to make her doubt her own sense of self.

at least her GP is cool with it and sneaks blood tests and stuff in :sigh: