Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
beto release the 0 day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Chris Knight posted:

beto release the 0 day

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Chris Knight posted:

beto release the 0 day

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
speaking of finding old stuff

this was in our craft closet, now it's our cat’s favorite toy

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Ulf posted:

speaking of finding old stuff

this was in our craft closet, now it's our cat’s favorite toy

whoa i remember those

the feet had sticker pads right? you could stick them to things?

were those originally made for y2k or was it something else? I wanna say something else but ???

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
yeah, sticky feet once you peeled off the backing. this one was on my wife’s crt until we got lcd monitors.

I feel like these were a thing in the 80s-90s. they’re in the simpsons episode where Mr Burns goes to the mayo clinic for example

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Ulf posted:

yeah, sticky feet once you peeled off the backing. this one was on my wife’s crt until we got lcd monitors.

I feel like these were a thing in the 80s-90s. they’re in the simpsons episode where Mr Burns goes to the mayo clinic for example

ah ok - just a vague memory here despite being alive all that time, god i havent thought about those things in at least 2 decades.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sniep posted:

whoa i remember those

the feet had sticker pads right? you could stick them to things?

were those originally made for y2k or was it something else? I wanna say something else but ???

they’ve been around since the early 80s at least. i remember playing with them when i was elementary school age.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Midjack posted:

they’ve been around since the early 80s at least. i remember playing with them when i was elementary school age.

yeah my memory of them was elementary school too so like, 85-90 for me?

still curious what they were called

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weepul im a font of useless information!

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Midjack posted:

we used to get them in grade school for selling magazine subscriptions during the annual fundraiser. i probably still have a box of them somewhere

we also got points to buy things at the prize store, which had crap like annoying noisemaker toys that were banned five minutes into the school day and those fake switchblade knives that were actually combs

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

The_Franz posted:

those fake switchblade knives that were actually combs

these owned

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Ulf posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weepul im a font of useless information!

Fishmech alt spotted

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

did Epic get compromised again? friend says she's talking to someone (at a funeral apparently??) who says they were "just compromised" and I should change the password on the account I manage for our dinky little game dev project, but I can't find anything about that. the most recent I can find was back in january, did I miss something?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
i need to get around to reading this

https://twitter.com/KateLibc/status/1112725957159211008

it's either going to be a bore and nothing interesting or i am going to become incredibly upset and never be able to talk to this person if i run into them at a conference

the ics security community is small

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Lain Iwakura posted:

i need to get around to reading this

https://twitter.com/KateLibc/status/1112725957159211008

it's either going to be a bore and nothing interesting or i am going to become incredibly upset and never be able to talk to this person if i run into them at a conference

the ics security community is small

that subtitle reminds me of this for some reason:

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Shame Boy posted:

that subtitle reminds me of this for some reason:

except that sort of machinery is cool and i want something that'll turn my HDDs into dust

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

the future is here and everything needs to be destroyed

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
correctly format your drives and donate them to charity unless otherwise prohibited by law you goons.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

flakeloaf posted:

Mods

PLEASE!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

correctly format your drives and donate them to charity unless otherwise prohibited by law you goons.

which charity, i don't have any non-evil ones around me

also idk about you but i don't get rid of a hard drive until it's on the brink of failing so donating that to charity seems kinda like donating a bunch of stained torn up underwear to charity.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

i do this pretty often but i dont know how much chariites want ancient 10-20gb PATA IDE drives, the raw materials in those are probably much more vlauable than the drives themselves

whether the materials could feasibly be extracted after shredding like that is another matter of course

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

yeah i guess i assume you're talking about like, thrift shops, if anyone knows some charity that processes it for the metals or w/e i'd totally donate to that

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

donating that to charity seems kinda like donating a bunch of stained torn up underwear to charity.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

computers for schools loves old government computers but we can't give them the drives because itsp 40.006 is in the way

quote:

In the case of medium-[security level]-sensitive Media that is unencrypted and does not support an acceptable erasure method, or that cannot be satisfactorily verified to confirm sanitization of all user data, a best effort to apply an erasure method should be performed, followed by certain destruction.

sorry about your iphone dude

maybe plug it into the wall next time

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
i take everything to the local goodwill computer donation place, they sell refurbished computers for really cheap, and they work with recycling places for thigns that arent worth selling

first time i went there i had a lot of old computers to get rid of, i brought in two of them in the first trip, the woman working said "wow you brought two!", she was a little surprised when i said "no i brought 13"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Lysidas posted:

i take everything to the local goodwill computer donation place, they sell refurbished computers for really cheap, and they work with recycling places for thigns that arent worth selling

first time i went there i had a lot of old computers to get rid of, i brought in two of them in the first trip, the woman working said "wow you brought two!", she was a little surprised when i said "no i brought 13"

goodwill is One Of The Bad Ones fyi

tmesis
Jan 18, 2007

sup holmes
Megamarm

Shame Boy posted:

is all goodwills bad, or one of those things where it's down to the regional management? i tried looking into our local goodwills and couldn't find anything too bad about them, but the alternatives around here are all pretty much catholic charity shops

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shame Boy posted:

nah its not

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

flakeloaf posted:

new personal mantra discovered

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

paying developmentally disabled people a dollar an hour is bad and you shouldn't allow it

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

but if it's legal and a company does it then yell at legislators not employers

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
there's a whole big issue where if you're declared disabled enough you can have all sorts of vital stuff made free for you, which are things you have pretty much no hope of affording on your own outside of leaping to a 6 figgie job somehow. but if you make more than a very tiny amount a month you no longer qualify for any assistance with it unless your resident state chooses to allow for it, which most don't. and even then it's often woefully inadequate unless you can make it into a very well paying job quickly. lowered disability pay rates have been enshrined federally to cover having people work legally while having disabilities and receiving care for it, but are also supposed to be somewhat limited in use. also, individual employers doing this are meant to be inspected and verified on a regular basis and to be booted off this allowance if they take advantage of the employees too much.

there's also the separate thing that there are over 160 regional goodwill "franchise" areas that run the stores and services in their area. over the past few years, approximately 70 were still using any workers that got paid wages below regular minimum, and 13 of them were found to be violating the standards enough that the department of labor was going to strip their wage waivers if they didn't shape up.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

tmesis posted:

is all goodwills bad, or one of those things where it's down to the regional management? i tried looking into our local goodwills and couldn't find anything too bad about them, but the alternatives around here are all pretty much catholic charity shops

yeah ok, it does vary based on which goodwill region you're talking about. i'd say they're all subscribed to the same "work is fulfilling and its own reward therefore it's fine to pay people ultra-low wages, and after all it's their only option" rationalization, but some of them take that and try to do good with it and other ones take that and give their CEO a million dollar salary

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

fishmech posted:

there's a whole big issue where if you're declared disabled enough you can have all sorts of vital stuff made free for you, which are things you have pretty much no hope of affording on your own outside of leaping to a 6 figgie job somehow. but if you make more than a very tiny amount a month you no longer qualify for any assistance with it unless your resident state chooses to allow for it, which most don't. and even then it's often woefully inadequate unless you can make it into a very well paying job quickly. lowered disability pay rates have been enshrined federally to cover having people work legally while having disabilities and receiving care for it

jesus christ lol what a system

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Shame Boy posted:

which charity, i don't have any non-evil ones around me

also idk about you but i don't get rid of a hard drive until it's on the brink of failing so donating that to charity seems kinda like donating a bunch of stained torn up underwear to charity.

i was thinking of like, old drives that still work but get replaced with something newer

yeah, straight up broken or unusable poo poo I guess try and find an ethical recycler or avoid just dumping them if at all possible since they're super toxic

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/LiveOverflow/status/1112323055127191552

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

fishmech posted:

there's a whole big issue where if you're declared disabled enough you can have all sorts of vital stuff made free for you, which are things you have pretty much no hope of affording on your own outside of leaping to a 6 figgie job somehow. but if you make more than a very tiny amount a month you no longer qualify for any assistance with it unless your resident state chooses to allow for it, which most don't.

:agreed:

the solution i see to this is to pay the workers properly and have the government or whoever's paying out the support program claw back the difference. the workers' net wage stays the same, but if the company is paying a fair wage for fair work then they have no incentive to treat a disabled employee any differently, which is kinda the point

a nonprofit here in ontario got poo poo on quite ferociously for structuring their disabled employees' wages to get around the maximum permissible earnings

also nonprofit doesn't mean "nobody's allowed to make money", it means "we give back literally as much as we can afford to after we pay to run ourselves responsibly". if your company's moving a billion dollars a year, maybe it costs a million dollars to hire and keep the person you need to oversee that sort of an operation? idk i've never been a board of directors

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

? there's been xss continually found on google search for over a decade, it's an easy way to get on their bounty list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

? there's been xss continually found on google search for over a decade, it's an easy way to get on their bounty list

i assume you mean bug bounty and not that google maintains a list of people they will pay to have murdered

because either one seems equally likely in hell year 2019