Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
The headline is horribly misleading as children have orders of magnitude lower risk than just about every other age group.

But I was encouraged to see the NY Times publishing this article. It's late as heck and doesn't tell anybody who has been watching the data and science anything they haven't known for a long time but I respect the times for publishing something that is likely to upset so many of their readers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Avian Pneumonia posted:

The headline is horribly misleading as children have orders of magnitude lower risk than just about every other age group.

But I was encouraged to see the NY Times publishing this article. It's late as heck and doesn't tell anybody who has been watching the data and science anything they haven't known for a long time but I respect the times for publishing something that is likely to upset so many of their readers.

Wasn’t this a literal right wing talking point last year?

Also not sure if we should only be measuring by risk of death since covid has been shown to result in heart disease and loving up the brain real good.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I thought that article was well needed and long overdue. Only a few hundred children have died. Those are perfectly acceptable casualties.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Plus, most kids can’t catch Covid, and even if they do get infected they can’t spread it to other people, particularly if they wear a cloth mask and are three feet apart from other individuals.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Whoolighams posted:

If anyone wants to bridge the gap between respirators and N/KN95s, Honeywell/Sperian makes vented P100 headband-style masks that have a good seal. It's what we use when we go around crowds/indoor spaces and they currently (EDIT) DON'T have some on Zoro

How well do they hold up to reuse? I’ve been curious about them, but they’re rather pricey if treated as truly disposable.

Anyway, another option is N99s. This is CDC’s list.

I welcome additions, but from that list, the only unvalved models I can find at online retail are BAL’s model 0914 and GVS’s Segre N31000.

Safety Emporium sells BAL N99s for one dollar apiece.

For the Segre N31000, GVS links directly to Amazon, where they’re sold for over four dollars each. X1 Safety has them listed for two and a half dollars.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
What's the waiting period between flu shot and covid shot these days? I know you can do same day but if you just get the flu shot is it still a 2 week blackout before covid shot?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Wasn’t this a literal right wing talking point last year?

Well I think for it to be a talking point last year, we would have had to have vaccines available to seventy‐year‐olds last year, but it’s a line straight from Emily Oster, and I think that even she has retreated from such misplaced similes since Delta rained on the picnic.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

What's Oster been up to lately anyway? It's a shame nobody had the spine to ask her if its okay for a chubby 30-something to not wear a mask or skip the vaccine because their risk is orders of magnitude less than an 80 year olds

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

Platystemon posted:

How well do they hold up to reuse? I’ve been curious about them, but they’re rather pricey if treated as truly disposable.

We don't push our luck too much but they've been pretty reusable and comfortable around the seal. We just toss em in a container in the car between uses

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Only 306 cases in Ontario today :toot:

It's going to be interesting to see what happens as we head into the winter but at least for now a combination of a high vaccine rate/moderate precautions seems to be working well.

Not that the province isn't trying to screw it up. They uncapped capacity limits at sports arenas a week ago (for the vaccinated but still).

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Avian Pneumonia posted:

deliberately inducing respiratory damage, so they can learn how the civil war was fought over ~states rights~

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
The risk stuff wrt younger folks is always annoying to see trotted out because a) I guess gently caress the elderly and immune-compromised, and b) the young and asymptomatic still spread it all over so uh, that's still a pretty loving big problem!

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Professor Beetus posted:

Fashion choices may be silly when it comes to considering protecting yourself from a deadly pandemic, but it's a good thing to normalize and make masks cool so that more people are like "poo poo yeah, gonna rock my purple respirator today" and not "gently caress wearing a good mask, I hate looking like a dork." Giving people the option to not have to choose between stylish and safe would absolutely be a good thing. Until then, yeah if you're reading this thread don't compromise your personal safety for fashion ffs

Yeah, this, basically. I'm a college instructor and female, and I know I'm judged on my personal appearance in a way that is stupid and unfair, but also real. Do I wish my options for N95/KN95s were more visually interesting? Of course. Am I going to stop wearing them? Not any time soon! My husband is immune-compromised and has a heart condition - I'm not bringing that poo poo home if I can help it.

Platystemon posted:

Masklab sells KF94s with art prints on them.

Ooo, thanks for this.

Fighting Trousers fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 13, 2021

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Professor Beetus posted:

The risk stuff wrt younger folks is always annoying to see trotted out because a) I guess gently caress the elderly and immune-compromised, and b) the young and asymptomatic still spread it all over so uh, that's still a pretty loving big problem!

It's important to note because we haven't (and quite arguably couldn't have) re-organized society in order to accomplish the task of complete eradication of COVID.

Idiotic, flippant comments regarding juvenile death statistics aside, given all the other things that have impacted kids due to closure of schools, yes, that is quite likely within acceptable losses. That's kinda public health's thing, determine risk to the population and determine what is acceptable loss to that population. Yes, it sucks that elderly and immunocompromised people have yet another thing to die from, especially since significant mitigation of spread can be done by individuals who just decide not to because :freep:.

But reality is that unless you have a massive police state and near total information control, you're not going to eradicate COVID, especially at this point in the pandemic.

Reality is also that people need the things that have helped them to be satisfied and happy and, lacking those things, have suffered psychological consequences from it. Reality is that there are social media networks - that people have been using to replace real interactions - that grows and stokes extremism and violence because that's what makes them money and nobody seems to be able to stop them. Reality is that people who've lost their jobs are also losing their homes and going hungry, because of a lack of governmental support (Federal, state, local).

So, yes, it's extremely important to note the differences in not only age groups, but vaccinated vs. unvaccinated, and how if we say one group is sufficient to engage in previous activities, when others are at similar or even less risk, why not those groups too? It's important for people to recognize so we can resume some of the previous activities that allowed people to continue having a home over their head or peace in their mind, while also doing what we can to use the momentum of, "wait we don't have to do things the same and still succeed???" in order to change society for the betterment of the people (improved wages, work from home, etc.).

That noting the age and vaccination discrepancy is similar to the right wing talking point of, "well if you look at years life lost it's not much at all" is not relevant because, as noted, what we have now is vaccination for an endemic disease.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Fighting Trousers posted:

Yeah, this, basically. I'm a college instructor and female, and I know I'm judged on my personal appearance in a way that is stupid and unfair, but also real. Do I wish my options for N95/KN95s were more visually interesting? Of course. Am I going to stop wearing them? Not any time soon! My husband is immune-compromised and has a heart condition - I'm not bringing that poo poo home if I can help it.

Ooo, thanks for this.

BeHealthyUSA has patterned and black KN94s as well, mix and match etc.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

I think it's lovely to see a whole society just give up on protecting people because people are "tired" of restrictions that have never been adequately implemented in the first place. No one with a functioning brain thinks the US was going to eradicate covid or hit covid zero, but there's certainly degrees between what could have been and what was done. News rags pushing the talking point of "you and your kids will probably be fine" (true!) are going to be the cause of one less person deciding to wear a mask or someone deciding that it's fine to go out to eat now.

Look at our loving hospitals and then tell me this is a cool and responsible way for the media to behave.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

The thing is that it hurts future efforts as well. We could have achieved COVID zero much much more easily early on. But we didn't really try, and now everyone's completely conditioned to accept letting a pretty nasty disease becoming endemic as an inevitability. Hope we don't get another bad pandemic for another century!

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Regarding vanity + mask chat, any vain goons with big beards figure out the 'best' not-cloth mask? Cursory googling indicates that on a bearded person a completely unsealed terribly fitted n95 type mask outperforms cloth? And my second question for everyone else, are we at the point now where vain goons with beards should be considered huge selfish assholes?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

droll posted:

Regarding vanity + mask chat, any vain goons with big beards figure out the 'best' not-cloth mask? Cursory googling indicates that on a bearded person a completely unsealed terribly fitted n95 type mask outperforms cloth? And my second question for everyone else, are we at the point now where vain goons with beards should be considered huge selfish assholes?

I like having a beard but I'm embracing the baby face right now because it's the right thing to do for my personal well being. Turn it into a self-care ritual and buy lots of fancy shave stuff if you want to feel vain as hell about it.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

droll posted:

If you want a seal you're gonna have to use a beard wrap, there's no way around it. But out of every thousand people you run into in the wild maybe 1 will be wearing something that seals and even then, probably wrong. If you wear it tight and your beard isn't so massive as to prevent the mask tightening up under the chin and to the sides you're about as well protected as anybody else wearing a surgical mask most likely, which is so-so. If you want more than that the beard's gonna have to go or you're gonna have to get in the habit of wrapping it, and depending on where you are and your level of exposure you're probably gonna want more than that

Either way vanity is out the window because there's no good lookin way to have a big beard flowering up around the edges of a mask like a bloomin' onion

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

droll posted:

I have a beard and use some KN95s, provided to me by my work, and I don't consider myself a huge selfish rear end in a top hat for not shaving.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Professor Beetus posted:

No one with a functioning brain thinks the US was going to eradicate covid or hit covid zero

brugroffil posted:

We could have achieved COVID zero much much more easily early on.

lmao :v:

Professor Beetus posted:

I think it's lovely to see a whole society just give up on protecting people because people are "tired" of restrictions that have never been adequately implemented in the first place.

You've got no argument from me here, it is lovely. There's also local variance to this, because in my area where our local hospitals haven't been overrun and do have (some) capacity for new cases, COVID or not, mask wearing indoors is almost universal. The overwhelmingly vast majority of people (>90%) will take part in various NPIs to help mitigate spread and actually do them right. The local population is fairly well vaccinated. Our schools have been open a month and our daily case average is ~10/100k and still falling with regular testing of just about all students. If our total deaths due to COVID were repeated nationwide, we'd be less than half of reported deaths.

However we do have to have this context. There are an unfortunately significant number of people trying to tell the otherwise healthy people that they are going to get crippled and die from COVID, from Twitter personalities breathlessly going on about variants or severity of disease or whatnot to shut-in, introvert, otherwise healthy, friends trying to justify why they never go outside, ever, who slap on a respirator when the Amazon delivery arrives and bleaches the box before opening it.

But the way our society functions, we still need people to be working various jobs. I'm not talking about in person computer toucher jobs, I'm not talking about thankless retail, I'm talking logistics, transportation, healthcare, manufacturing, agriculture/food distribution, and infrastructure. The vast, vast majority of working age vaccinated people are largely safe from the negative impacts from COVID given the information we have at the moment. Losing people from those jobs increases the chance we'll have social unrest due to loss of function in those areas. Nothing makes a pandemic worse than social unrest, and we might get an interesting look at what that looks like watching Britain in the coming months.

Now are workers treated well in those jobs to begin with? No, not necessarily, which is why we're hopefully having that conversation (that I mentioned earlier) about how to improve worker conditions going forward while using the COVID momentum to encourage change.

Regarding beard chat, given I've been in situations where I am concerned about having a proper fit N95, I shaved my beard. I figure if you're in a situation where you are concerned enough about COVID that you are worried about how your N95 fits, the beard will grow back.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

HelloSailorSign posted:

lmao :v:

You've got no argument from me here, it is lovely. There's also local variance to this, because in my area where our local hospitals haven't been overrun and do have (some) capacity for new cases, COVID or not, mask wearing indoors is almost universal. The overwhelmingly vast majority of people (>90%) will take part in various NPIs to help mitigate spread and actually do them right. The local population is fairly well vaccinated. Our schools have been open a month and our daily case average is ~10/100k and still falling with regular testing of just about all students. If our total deaths due to COVID were repeated nationwide, we'd be less than half of reported deaths.

However we do have to have this context. There are an unfortunately significant number of people trying to tell the otherwise healthy people that they are going to get crippled and die from COVID, from Twitter personalities breathlessly going on about variants or severity of disease or whatnot to shut-in, introvert, otherwise healthy, friends trying to justify why they never go outside, ever, who slap on a respirator when the Amazon delivery arrives and bleaches the box before opening it.

But the way our society functions, we still need people to be working various jobs. I'm not talking about in person computer toucher jobs, I'm not talking about thankless retail, I'm talking logistics, transportation, healthcare, manufacturing, agriculture/food distribution, and infrastructure. The vast, vast majority of working age vaccinated people are largely safe from the negative impacts from COVID given the information we have at the moment. Losing people from those jobs increases the chance we'll have social unrest due to loss of function in those areas. Nothing makes a pandemic worse than social unrest, and we might get an interesting look at what that looks like watching Britain in the coming months.

Now are workers treated well in those jobs to begin with? No, not necessarily, which is why we're hopefully having that conversation (that I mentioned earlier) about how to improve worker conditions going forward while using the COVID momentum to encourage change.

Regarding beard chat, given I've been in situations where I am concerned about having a proper fit N95, I shaved my beard. I figure if you're in a situation where you are concerned enough about COVID that you are worried about how your N95 fits, the beard will grow back.

You are greatly minimizing and ignoring the effects of Long Covid and repeated infections to this disease, acting as if staying out of the hospital and not dying is “good enough.” Or, worse yet, that half the reported deaths (2k/day, working hard!) is good enough.

Also wherever you live is extremely outside the norm for the vast, vast majority of Americans. It sounds like an extremely wealthy, bougie town if they’re regularly testing kids at school.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

My coworker (I’m a teacher) recently got back from having Covid, caught it three weeks ago. She had a “mild” case that put her down for two whole weeks. She still has brain fog, still gets winded if she moves around too much. Smell and taste still at 10-60%. She’s in her mid-30s and in good shape.

Keep telling people it’s ok you’re healthy, go get Covid.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

HelloSailorSign posted:

Covid or no covid at an individual level, there's no reason for an individual to stay in those jobs when an unlimited number of WFH phone monkey jobs have been created by covid opening up the national labor market to employee-hungry companies in second-tier and smaller cities. When everything pays $15/hr, why break your back for it when you could do it from your bed?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1448341734807654401

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

HelloSailorSign posted:

Do you have some evidence that this behavior has been more detrimental than minimizing Covid as delta continues to burn through the unvaxxed and spread via asymptomatic people like children and even vaxxed adults? Because it seems like you're most angry that some people choose to continue living with an abundance of caution, due to the fact that your local area is doing better than most.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

If I'm reading that right, sounds like it will be great news if Delta ever stops being the dominant strain.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

poll plane variant posted:

Covid or no covid at an individual level, there's no reason for an individual to stay in those jobs when an unlimited number of WFH phone monkey jobs have been created by covid opening up the national labor market to employee-hungry companies in second-tier and smaller cities. When everything pays $15/hr, why break your back for it when you could do it from your bed?

Ok so are you proposing to replace all those in-person jobs with robots or something?

Also, a pandemic is necessarily not a thing that we look at on the individual level. We look at things on a societal and global level.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

How are u posted:

Ok so are you proposing to replace all those in-person jobs with robots or something?

Also, a pandemic is necessarily not a thing that we look at on the individual level. We look at things on a societal and global level.

I'm not proposing anything, I'm saying that in the US you can choose between a backbreaking miserable job for $15/hr (with bonus covid risk), or a desk job for the same pay bare minimum. Why would anyone choose to break their backs for "the good of society" except people like teachers who are really emotionally manipulated into it from childhood. If I could drive a truck for Amazon under miserable conditions for the same pay as touching computer, why would I?

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Why would anyone choose to break their backs for "the good of society" except people like teachers who are really emotionally manipulated into it from childhood.

What?

edit: also, many many people in the US literally don't have a choice between manual labor and desk jobs. There are not infinite desk jobs to be had.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 13, 2021

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Fritz the Horse posted:

What?

edit: also, many many people in the US literally don't have a choice between manual labor and desk jobs. There are not infinite desk jobs to be had.

I mean a lot of those "helper" jobs people get really gendered into or they're held up as pillars of the community and aspirational figures etc. and this is even treated as a thing you could get in lieu of proper wages.

We are a lot closer now to infinite desk jobs than we were pre-covid and people are taking em!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

I'm not proposing anything, I'm saying that in the US you can choose between a backbreaking miserable job for $15/hr (with bonus covid risk), or a desk job for the same pay bare minimum. Why would anyone choose to break their backs for "the good of society" except people like teachers who are really emotionally manipulated into it from childhood. If I could drive a truck for Amazon under miserable conditions for the same pay as touching computer, why would I?

This is an oddly "pull yourself up by your bootstraps, it's easy" sentiment. People work lovely back-breaking jobs for myriad reasons that don't have to do with personal choice.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Avian Pneumonia posted:

The absolute numbers are also extra misleading because they’re combining risk of getting infected with risk of death once infected when we know drat well that nearly everyone is going to get infected multiple times once precautions are abandoned (assuming steps aren’t taken to regularly top off vaccine’s protection against infection for a very large proportion of the population).

Mostly this chart just shows how bad it is to catch COVID as an older person even if you’re vaccinated.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

How are u posted:

This is an oddly "pull yourself up by your bootstraps, it's easy" sentiment. People work lovely back-breaking jobs for myriad reasons that don't have to do with personal choice.

That's exactly what I'm saying: people worked these jobs previously because they had no other options. Widespread WFH and nationwide hiring means many many people have new options, even if they're just phone jockey stuff. They could not choose before but now they can - they were only doing the lovely essential jobs because they were basically coerced.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

How are u posted:

I have a beard and use some KN95s, provided to me by my work, and I don't consider myself a huge selfish rear end in a top hat for not shaving.

buddy nothing you could do could shake your belief in your own innocence

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Strep Vote posted:

buddy nothing you could do could shake your belief in your own innocence

I'm sorry, what? You seem to be accusing me of being guilty of ... something?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I know people like to rag on how are u for whatever reason but if they're wearing kn95s over their beard, they're still doing a great job protecting other people even if their personal protection is reduced. Let's stop this conversation before it gets started.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

That's exactly what I'm saying: people worked these jobs previously because they had no other options. Widespread WFH and nationwide hiring means many many people have new options, even if they're just phone jockey stuff. They could not choose before but now they can - they were only doing the lovely essential jobs because they were basically coerced.

This is interesting, in the context of the endless whining by people who hire people for in-person work about nobody being willing to do it. The labor force participation rate has only dropped from 63.5% to 61.5% (approx.) so their preferred explanation of "everyone is lazy now, because Democrats!" doesn't go very far in explaining it.

It COULD reflect people with lovely, low-paying jobs doing what they've been told to do for decades, and what you are theorizing has only recently become possible - getting a job that pays better and is less of a pain in the rear end. (It also shows why "go get a better job" as an individual solution was never going to be a societal solution, because now half our retail establishments and restaurants are operating with reduced hours.) The end result of this could end up being a real re-ordering of the labor market, where jobs that subject you to physical danger or abusive customers actually pay more than low-skill desk jobs. Although who knows how many more quarters we'll have of employers whining that market forces have worked against them for once before that starts to happen. Looking forward to getting some data on this stuff.

Professor Beetus posted:

I know people like to rag on how are u for whatever reason but if they're wearing kn95s over their beard, they're still doing a great job protecting other people even if their personal protection is reduced. Let's stop this conversation before it gets started.
Don't overthink this, just give the person who made the weird grudge post a sixer.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Fritz the Horse posted:

What?

Speaking from first hand experience: early childhood education/daycares are facing massive labor shortages everywhere because it's a difficult job for absolute poo poo pay. My son's daycare class is now closed indefinitely due to staffing shortages. Search for daycare jobs around you and you'll find dozens of listings most likely.

At the same time, I know places like Southwest are hiring pt/ft customer service full wfh jobs at higher pay with better benefits without any education or certification requirements. Many other companies are doing the same.