Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

How far is this throwing? I was thinking moats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Try to kill the ant colonies with the food and stuff that they take back. Find out where they're coming from and dismantle their industrial backbone.

Otherwise look into feeders like the surefeeds that close when they move away. Might help?

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Aug 15, 2018

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Pollyanna posted:

Jet has a tendency to throw food around when he eats, and unfortunately in my new apartment that attracts ants. I put down bait n stuff and I sweep up anything I see, but they’re just too quick to swarm the food and I’m not always around to sweep up. What can I do?

My cats are pretty messy, I have a big black tray with a lip that their food bowls go on. Contains the mess, easy to clean, and seems to add another layer the ants have to penetrate. I'm on the ground floor of an apartment and don't have any trouble, though ants did find some cat puke overnight (in a different part of the apartment) once and swarmed that.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

Jet has a tendency to throw food around when he eats, and unfortunately in my new apartment that attracts ants. I put down bait n stuff and I sweep up anything I see, but they’re just too quick to swarm the food and I’m not always around to sweep up. What can I do?

Put a tray under the dish and/or put it on something elevated the ants can't get to directly but the cats can.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

The point is that the food is thrown from the bowl and thus any anti-ant countermeasures. I was thinking maybe a playpen enclosure or something so the food doesn't go far and there's another barrier to the ants, but the apartment might be too small.

Lucy does a similar thing with taking her food out of the bowl, dropping it on the ground, and eating it there. I'm sure it's because the bowl's too high to not overstimulate her whiskers. I should give her plates.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Get some barrier insect spray and a) spray all the places they're getting into the house from b) spray a wide circle specifically around the area with the food so they can't get near it.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I think my cat has figured out how to set my laptop screen sideways(using the touch-pad) entirely to piss me off so I'll give him attention. Knocking all my poo poo onto the floor wasn't cutting it apparently.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I think my cat has figured out how to set my laptop screen sideways(using the touch-pad) entirely to piss me off so I'll give him attention. Knocking all my poo poo onto the floor wasn't cutting it apparently.

Ethics once did a pirouette across my keyboard that turned both screens sideways and reversed them. I won't admit how long it took me to figure out how to fix it.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Pollyanna posted:

Avidon ant bait. The ants take it back and it will eventually kill the colony. Also follow the advice above on spraying. If you can watch where the ants are getting in, a tube of caulk or can of contractor foam to seal it up will help too. (These are cheap and should be easy to get past a landlord's inspection if done with a little care.) The ants will probably find a new way in-just keep sealing them up as you can.

Pests need shelter, food, water, and access, so take care of what you can.

One summer I did have to set up a sacrificial jar of honey on my balcony to distract the ants from ever going inside and that worked. That was not a great apartment.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So far, spray and traps have helped, though he hasn’t thrown food around much since. Tracking down where they’re coming from is a bit of a mystery, though I suspect the forced air vent myself.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Pixelante posted:

Ethics once did a pirouette across my keyboard that turned both screens sideways and reversed them. I won't admit how long it took me to figure out how to fix it.

Phobos turned my screen red the other night. Took me almost an hour to fix.

Speaking of Phobos and Deimos, Symba has gone back to my boyfriend's apartment now that he is back in town and the girls are really sad. I didn't realize how much they would bond with Symba in a week and a half but I guess he was their buddy and now they are distraught that he's gone missing. Deimos in particular is really cut up about it. I hope they remember him when he moves in next year.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

So far, spray and traps have helped, though he hasn’t thrown food around much since. Tracking down where they’re coming from is a bit of a mystery, though I suspect the forced air vent myself.

That sounds unlikely. Usually it's through gaps in the walls/fixtures/doors/windows lower in the house, either in the foundation or attached to the exterior. The colony is almost always nearby or underneath. The barrier spray will keep them from certain areas but won't kill the colony. If the colony is sufficiently large, the poison food won't work either. It's also kinda unreasonable to not expect some ants in some areas for some older homes, but obviously keeping kitchen food and open trash cans at a minimum helps. They come in during extreme weather too, so expect them in the winter.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Aug 15, 2018

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I'm getting a new computer chair that's very expensive and I'm worried about my boy, Sancho, scratching it up. He currently scratches my crap chair that's worn out and we do try to get him to stop but it hasn't worked. I don't want him to even think about scratching this new one. What can I do to avoid him scratching on it? There's a post literally 3 feet away that he does use but it's lower and doesn't let him stretch as high but I can't fit another taller post in this tiny rear end apartment.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

KidDynamite posted:

I'm getting a new computer chair that's very expensive and I'm worried about my boy, Sancho, scratching it up. He currently scratches my crap chair that's worn out and we do try to get him to stop but it hasn't worked. I don't want him to even think about scratching this new one. What can I do to avoid him scratching on it? There's a post literally 3 feet away that he does use but it's lower and doesn't let him stretch as high but I can't fit another taller post in this tiny rear end apartment.

Those little glue-on vinyl claw caps - Soft Paws or Soft Claws or whatever.

Good luck getting them on at first. I used to put them on my cats until it was just too much bother. Cats gonna cat. If I wanted nice furniture I wouldn't have cats.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Alternatively stick the post right next to the chair, like 3 in away instead of 3 ft, and treat him for using the post. Scoot the chair away when he tries to scratch it, and either cover the chair with something or move it to a room he can't get to when you're not around to supervise. He may eventually settle on the post alone since that's what gets him treats. He however may also decide that no gently caress you I wanna scratch that drat chair and there's not a drat thing you can do to stop me, and if that's the case than there really isn't a drat thing you can do to stop him. Cats are assholes.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Feliway make some blue crap that you squirt onto a scratching post and it's supposed to release synthetic gently caress YES SCRATCH ME pheromones. Might be worth a shot.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

I ended up buying a chair without a lot of stuffing. Aeron. My cat licks the arm rests now. We able to deter them both from the mesh somehow, stickier than the foam and fake leather probably.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
My poor old senior cat went to the vet yesterday. Feeling seriously overwhelmed. I just want to type it all out to someone.

My girl is 19 years old. A few years ago her blood tests revealed she was in the early stages of kidney disease. So I got a water fountain, put her on a Rx food, and started taking her in to the vet for monthly SubQ fluids. Her hips were getting skinny and she has arthritis so they put her on Cosequin, and then after another year, on baby-Aspirin too.

This past winter/spring she developed a cough and occasional sneezes. They took Xrays. Her lungs were bright white (my non-doctor assessment) - they don't know what it is, so she's put on some antibiotics and stuff, but they don't really help the cough. They do an Xray from another POV and a sonogram, and notice she has an enlarged aorta, so they abandon trying to figure out what's up with the lungs and want to take her in for a full day of periodic BP checks. They are mostly good, except for the first reading where they think she was just stressed. I ask about the lungs, because she's still coughing, so they prescribe an allergy pill (Chlorpheniramine?). It takes about a month, and then her cough goes away. Via pills or just overcame whatever crud she had, I don't know.

They want to do a BP recheck 3 months later (yesterday). So they do the BP, Xray, bloodwork, plus her subQs, B12, a sanitary trim (I've noticed she has soft stools lately), and complimentary nail trim (yay, because good lord this is $$$$). Her kidney values are creeping toward worse, her Xrays show no change, and her BP is high so they prescribed another pill for hypertension. They also want the monthly SubQ fluids to now be twice per month. They want me to come back in 3-4 weeks for yet another BP check, bloodwork, etc to make sure the new pill is both working and also is not affecting her kidneys. This is going to be so freaking $$$$ again.

Money aside, I'm already struggling getting her to take the 3 pills when I mash them up in wet food (she rarely finishes it). Now I have to do 4?? And it's already tough to speak with my employer, my in-laws who think pets are disposable, to let me leave for an hour per month to do her existing SubQs. I have no idea how to ask to double what I've already bargained for. I've googled a little online to find out that it's possible to do SubQ fluids at home. It looks complicated but the websites promise that it's not.

Would it be ridiculous to ask my vet/techs to teach me how to do this at home? And how to give her pills? One told me this 4th pill is "real easy" since it dissolves real fast. Well guess what, I stick it in her mouth and she reflexively flicks her tongue and it spits across the room. I tried 3 times before her finger-bites seem less accidental and the pill was getting mushy on my fingers so I put it in her wet food, which, surprise, she did not finish eating.

:sigh:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

drat Bananas posted:

My poor old senior cat went to the vet yesterday. Feeling seriously overwhelmed. I just want to type it all out to someone.

My girl is 19 years old. A few years ago her blood tests revealed she was in the early stages of kidney disease. So I got a water fountain, put her on a Rx food, and started taking her in to the vet for monthly SubQ fluids. Her hips were getting skinny and she has arthritis so they put her on Cosequin, and then after another year, on baby-Aspirin too.

This past winter/spring she developed a cough and occasional sneezes. They took Xrays. Her lungs were bright white (my non-doctor assessment) - they don't know what it is, so she's put on some antibiotics and stuff, but they don't really help the cough. They do an Xray from another POV and a sonogram, and notice she has an enlarged aorta, so they abandon trying to figure out what's up with the lungs and want to take her in for a full day of periodic BP checks. They are mostly good, except for the first reading where they think she was just stressed. I ask about the lungs, because she's still coughing, so they prescribe an allergy pill (Chlorpheniramine?). It takes about a month, and then her cough goes away. Via pills or just overcame whatever crud she had, I don't know.

They want to do a BP recheck 3 months later (yesterday). So they do the BP, Xray, bloodwork, plus her subQs, B12, a sanitary trim (I've noticed she has soft stools lately), and complimentary nail trim (yay, because good lord this is $$$$). Her kidney values are creeping toward worse, her Xrays show no change, and her BP is high so they prescribed another pill for hypertension. They also want the monthly SubQ fluids to now be twice per month. They want me to come back in 3-4 weeks for yet another BP check, bloodwork, etc to make sure the new pill is both working and also is not affecting her kidneys. This is going to be so freaking $$$$ again.

Money aside, I'm already struggling getting her to take the 3 pills when I mash them up in wet food (she rarely finishes it). Now I have to do 4?? And it's already tough to speak with my employer, my in-laws who think pets are disposable, to let me leave for an hour per month to do her existing SubQs. I have no idea how to ask to double what I've already bargained for. I've googled a little online to find out that it's possible to do SubQ fluids at home. It looks complicated but the websites promise that it's not.

Would it be ridiculous to ask my vet/techs to teach me how to do this at home? And how to give her pills? One told me this 4th pill is "real easy" since it dissolves real fast. Well guess what, I stick it in her mouth and she reflexively flicks her tongue and it spits across the room. I tried 3 times before her finger-bites seem less accidental and the pill was getting mushy on my fingers so I put it in her wet food, which, surprise, she did not finish eating.

:sigh:

SubQ fluids are easy, but a 2-person job generally. One to hold the cat, the other to man the needle. You just pinch up some skin between the front shoulder blades and stick the needle in. If the cat squirms at all the needle will pop out while you're getting the IV going, so you need someone to hold her still.

Reality is that your kitty isn't going to last much longer. Once the kidneys start going, they degenerate pretty fast. Do all you can for her, but don't expect any miracles. :(

For pills, the easiest way I've found is to burrito her in a towel, pry her mouth open and fling the pill to the back of her throat so she reflexively swallows it. Then give her treats.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

drat Bananas posted:

Money aside, I'm already struggling getting her to take the 3 pills when I mash them up in wet food (she rarely finishes it)

Wet food's too easy to eat around. What we had success doing was with a tiny chunk of meat with a hole to the core and the pill inside, although if it's big, half a pill at a time works better. Or pill pockets. You do that before you put out the free wet food.

I don't know much about the SubQ fluids but I've heard other people say it's learnable to do at home.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Your vet should be willing to teach you how to give subq fluids at home. That seems to have become standard. And to teach you how to pill!

Ask if there's any way to get some of those meds as a transdermal formulation instead. Some vets work with compounding pharmacies or suppliers who can do that for some drugs. Transdermal stuff is an ointment you rub into the ear and it's much easier than oral meds most of the time.

I'm sorry about your kidney kitty. I went through that last year. It was hard.

e: personally I didn't have a problem doing subq solo. YMMV.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Thanks everybody. Since we are going back in in 2 weeks now for the fluids I will make a list and ask them about each of these. 2-person fluids shouldn't be a problem, my husband can help. As for pills, she's weird and won't eat pill pockets or meat chunks. When she eats wet food she licks up the gravy and leaves the chunks. I usually crush the aspirin/chlorp. with a spoon and put the wet food on top of it, then mash the meat and veggie chunks with my finger to make a sort of pate with medicine powder hidden inside. It probably tastes like poo poo, maybe that's why she won't finish. Learning to just pill properly would be awesome.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Why won't my kitten love me

I just want snuggles
But all I get is struggles

She doesn't like to be held or sit on my lap :qq:

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Infinitum posted:

I just want snuggles

Some cats are just like that. You can try keeping treats on you and give one when she comes up (or to encourage it). Sometimes ignoring a cat is the best way to get it to come to you also.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Well clearly the only solution is to get a second kitten so they fight for my affection

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Infinitum posted:

I just want snuggles

Try reading a book or using a laptop. Cats only want to sit on your lap when you don't want them to.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
play with her a lot and then eventually she'll see you as the fun one and she'll snug you?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Some cats are just not snuggly, or take years to become snuggly.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Infinitum posted:

I just want snuggles

Yeah some cats just don't. My ragdoll flies in the face of all expectations and hates laps and struggles like a demon if held. You learn to see the other ways they show affection instead. Mine is willing to curl up next to us if we are lying in bed, and he follows us around from room to room just to sit nearby companionably.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

drat Bananas posted:

Thanks everybody. Since we are going back in in 2 weeks now for the fluids I will make a list and ask them about each of these. 2-person fluids shouldn't be a problem, my husband can help. As for pills, she's weird and won't eat pill pockets or meat chunks. When she eats wet food she licks up the gravy and leaves the chunks. I usually crush the aspirin/chlorp. with a spoon and put the wet food on top of it, then mash the meat and veggie chunks with my finger to make a sort of pate with medicine powder hidden inside. It probably tastes like poo poo, maybe that's why she won't finish. Learning to just pill properly would be awesome.

Consider also getting a pill gun. Most little vets won't have them, but any vet supply store or larger 24-hour vet should have one on hand.

They're not a guaranteed thing but it's a lot easier than getting your fingers involved and increasing the stress for everyone.

I use one that is sort of like this: https://www.amazon.com/Mikki-Pill-Gun/dp/B00076HUB4

Good luck, friend.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 19, 2018

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Tamarillo posted:

Yeah some cats just don't. My ragdoll flies in the face of all expectations and hates laps and struggles like a demon if held. You learn to see the other ways they show affection instead. Mine is willing to curl up next to us if we are lying in bed, and he follows us around from room to room just to sit nearby companionably.

Domino was like that but he's warming up to snuggles. I know he's learned from Jellybean how to use his words but it looks like he's learning that if he snuggles he gets more pets.

We still have to stop pets after a bit because he gets over excited and only knows claws but he's getting better.

Maybe get a fat old lazy cat to pair kitten up with? It worked out okay for Domino once he learned she wasn't trying to replace him or challenge his dominance in any way. Plus two cats is twice as many points

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Infinitum posted:

I just want snuggles

Phobos is like that. She refuses to be held and will run away if pets start to seem even vaguely constricting (like if I lean over her). Her sister Deimos on the other hand will climb onto my lap without the slightest provocation (when she wants to). Cats gonna cat.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

My fat cat doesnt like being picked up. He doesnt mind if I find him on the rug and curl up around him though. :3:

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

My fuzzy little bandsaw is only a lap cat when it's cold out, otherwise she lays near me in a "it's just a coincidence that I follow you from room to room" sort of way.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yeah Glitch is affectionate in her own way, and loves chilling out on her pillow in front of me while I play games.

I guess I just wish she'd be more of a lapcat. :shrug:

I'll try buying some treats and working on that a bit.

(She's all black on top and her tummy has lot of white patches that I only get to see when she does this and I love her :3:)
(The very tip of her tail is white :3::3::3:)

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Infinitum posted:

Yeah Glitch is affectionate in her own way, and loves chilling out on her pillow in front of me while I play games.

I guess I just wish she'd be more of a lapcat. :shrug:

I'll try buying some treats and working on that a bit.

(She's all black on top and her tummy has lot of white patches that I only get to see when she does this and I love her :3:)
(The very tip of her tail is white :3::3::3:)

Torties are psych cases dude

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Torties are psych cases dude

Can confirm; our calico has been wandering around the apartment for an hour+, screaming whenever she's not actively being played with or held, for no reason we can tell besides "tonight is Cat Needs All The Attention Night"

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Milly is a cuddler. This is her favorite spot.

Torties are great

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

:bisonyes: