Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

AsInHowe posted:

It's coming.

Is there reason to believe this? It took causing mass death and cover-ups to get tobacco ads off TV. Liquor ads are allowed and that drug kills shitloads of people too. Seems like a ban on gambling ads would have a tough run through the courts to stand Constitutional muster, particularly on non-OTA outlets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Liquor ads are allowed

Yes, but the FTC leaned on the industry pretty hard and managed to get them to self-regulate on their ad campaigns. They're pretty good at keeping with the standards that were laid out and I suspect because the standards are actually pretty good marketing. A cursory look through the data seems to indicate that non-beer alcohol, as an industry, spends less on ads than Draftkings does.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Sash! posted:

Yes, but the FTC leaned on the industry pretty hard and managed to get them to self-regulate on their ad campaigns. They're pretty good at keeping with the standards that were laid out and I suspect because the standards are actually pretty good marketing. A cursory look through the data seems to indicate that non-beer alcohol, as an industry, spends less on ads than Draftkings does.

Yeah the target the FTC had with liquor ads were target audiences, and underage drinking is down so much(likely for other reasons) that the industry was fine with targeting the ads to more likely customers anyway.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Sash! posted:

Right, but that doesn't answer why anyone would think that gambling ads on TV are going to be banned.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Right, but that doesn't answer why anyone would think that gambling ads on TV are going to be banned.

because the U.S. is speed-running the issues that have come up in the UK and Australia where open sports gambling leads to lots of problem gamblers getting into major debt or even committing suicide.

just wait until American sports also have ads purely in Chinese for gambling sites that cannot be accessed from the U.S. and which are probably fronts for money laundering, because that's already happening elsewhere.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

harperdc posted:

because the U.S. is speed-running the issues that have come up in the UK and Australia where open sports gambling leads to lots of problem gamblers getting into major debt or even committing suicide.

That's hardly a reason for anything in the US to be regulated.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

harperdc posted:

just wait until American sports also have ads purely in Chinese for gambling sites that cannot be accessed from the U.S. and which are probably fronts for money laundering, because that's already happening elsewhere.

That's not close to enough ammo to get around the obvious Constitutional challenges this would have. And both the UK and Australia regulate speech a lot more than we do, so pointing to where they've gone isn't necessarily helpful.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Does anyone else have ESPN+ and have trouble actually accessing articles on ESPN? I usually sign up for college basketball season since a lot of games are on there, and I should be able to read articles, but it seems a constant problem that I will be logged in and ESPN will still block ESPN+ articles for me. I tried looking for someway to reach technical support and it seems it only exists on loving Twitter. I'm not exactly inclined to sign up for that poo poo site just to get this problem fixed, but I might have to.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I’m constantly having to log in but it usually works when I do

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Bird in a Blender posted:

Does anyone else have ESPN+ and have trouble actually accessing articles on ESPN? I usually sign up for college basketball season since a lot of games are on there, and I should be able to read articles, but it seems a constant problem that I will be logged in and ESPN will still block ESPN+ articles for me. I tried looking for someway to reach technical support and it seems it only exists on loving Twitter. I'm not exactly inclined to sign up for that poo poo site just to get this problem fixed, but I might have to.

This has happened to me a couple teams. I have the Disney bundle but for some reason ESPN+ articles won’t work even signed in. Each time I need to contact support, but tbh I’ve been able to call a real human in the US to get it fixed. Let me see if I can track down the support number.

Edit: try this - +1-800-727-1800

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

I had the same issue and they fixed it via the online chat support in like 5 minutes

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Ungratek posted:

I had the same issue and they fixed it via the online chat support in like 5 minutes

Yeah same here; I asked if there was anything I could do if it happened again and they said no, it was something they could only fix on their end.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
drat y'all have so much better executive function than me. When it said I had to contact support to read articles (it was like 1:00 AM on a saturday and they unsurprisingly weren't available) I said I would do it the next day and never did.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

they decided to arrest timothy burke

https://twitter.com/spatatimes/status/1760729633023250926?s=46

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1760752091428204963

it's underrated what a dumbass charles barkley is lol

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
He’s the Median Voter

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Henchman of Santa posted:

He’s the Median Voter

no he's not, he's a rich guy

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

He’s the Median Voter

The (R)ound Mound of Rebound

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

mcmagic posted:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

mcmagic posted:

I mean in the sense of having confusing and contradictory beliefs. Like the people that get interviewed at the Iowa caucuses.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/benmullin/status/1760767165672607915?s=46

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I haven't kept up on the news but it feels like every time I hear about Vice the past 4 years its been them firing people. I'm shocked theres any workforce at all at this point.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
His beliefs aren't particularly confusing though? He said as such.

He likes Nikki Hayley because she is a republican who's main policies align directly what he wants as far as his own money and status in life.

He wishes she wasn't a racist, because that is a place where her policies do not align with what he wants.

Like all of these people have pretty straight forward positions on things, once you realize that you aren't going to "well actually :eng101:" logic them to your side.

It's depressing, but it turns out most people's top political priority is "beating those people I hate, and make me feel good", over any sort of policy platform that anyone could possibly put forward. But like most people aren't going to say that, they are just going to say the dog whistles that their side red or blue uses to let people know where they stand. Even if it ends up being contradictory

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Dexo posted:

It's depressing, but it turns out most people's top political priority is "beating those people I hate, and make me feel good", over any sort of policy platform that anyone could possibly put forward. But like most people aren't going to say that, they are just going to say the dog whistles that their side red or blue uses to let people know where they stand. Even if it ends up being contradictory

And to add,

I mean in the sense of having confusing and contradictory beliefs. Like the people that get interviewed at the Iowa caucuses.

Rarely do people have a coherent/cogent political and ideological philosophy. The Iowa caucuses are a great example. I spent a small bit of time seeking those out and exit interviews for people who voted for trump in 2016 after that election and it is a great reminder. I'm making this example up but effectively there were ones that were like this. You'd see it was someone who say, was a 36 year old woman who lived in Wisconsin. She was a single parent. She would state that some of her top concerns are access to abortion, gay rights, and the economy. You'd be like "oh so she probably voted for Clinton!" and then you'd see she voted Trump and she'd say something like "he makes some good points about the economy."

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I remember a guy in 2020 who was an Obama voter, supported Bernie in 2016 because M4A was his top issue, voted for Trump after Bernie was out, and then said he was supporting Buttigieg but would vote for Trump again if Buttigieg wasn't the nom.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/paulweeedon/status/1760735028752044161

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

This ain't my area of law, but seems like it's gonna come down to whether Burke had to actually login to anything.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

That's what The Wayback Machine is for.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

I wonder which "National Sports League" got pissy in that indictment (it says US and Canada but i have no reason not to think the NFL would want to make an example of him, too).

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1760752091428204963

it's underrated what a dumbass charles barkley is lol

Barkley was notoriously a Republican for years and had stated that he wanted to run for either Alabama Gov or Leeds mayor once he retired, before the Turner money was too good to pass up/his NBA money was all gone and he needed the Turner money. He only disowned being a Republican after they got too racist and turned into the Trump worship party.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I mean parts of this are pretty funny or w/e but it’s fully offensive to suggest there’s only one good song on Jailbreak

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

C. Everett Koop posted:

Barkley was notoriously a Republican for years and had stated that he wanted to run for either Alabama Gov or Leeds mayor once he retired, before the Turner money was too good to pass up/his NBA money was all gone and he needed the Turner money. He only disowned being a Republican after they got too racist and turned into the Trump worship party.

That makes him smarter than millions of other people.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Forrest on Fire posted:

The (R)ound Mound of Rebound

lol

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

habeasdorkus posted:

This ain't my area of law, but seems like it's gonna come down to whether Burke had to actually login to anything.

Unfortunately this hasn't always been the case as people have been arrested for accessing federal filestores that required no authentication, however he might have a better shield being a journalist AND that I assume the protections are different. So I dunno. If he was using someone else's credentials he's in trouble.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

The Timothy Bella biography of Barkley from a year or two ago is really good and gets into a lot of that.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Just reminds me of this

https://twitter.com/GovParsonMO/status/1448697768311132160

The Multi step process you ask?

Hitting F12/clicking inspect element to view html. Because someone had the SSN's printed as like a hidden ID field in a grid or table or whatever.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1761068857026887951

Aren't they dating? lol he should listen to his girlfriend.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

He's been teasing that for like 6-7 years now

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
would instantly max out donations to Stephen A if he ran

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

If nothing else, the gaffes would be exquisite.