Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

SchnorkIes posted:

PETG takes really poorly to paint and glue though, right?

Nope. Just get paints specifically mixed for use on plastics and the same for glues.

You're working with a material similar to soda bottle plastics, if you need a reference to play with before testing filaments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed

eltoozero posted:

If you nylock mod your prusa I will hate you forever.

i had never heard of this mod so i looked it up and now i'm traumatized. thanks a lot

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

How air tight should a 3d printer enclosure be?

Right now mine isn't looking to print abs for now mostly and I don't have an ambient temp controller or anything

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

w00tmonger posted:

How air tight should a 3d printer enclosure be?

Right now mine isn't looking to print abs for now mostly and I don't have an ambient temp controller or anything

It doesn't need to be at all. If you're wanting to prevent fumes, yes it does. If your goal is to keep the temperature fairly stable with no drafts, an inverted cardboard box or a cupboard will do.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Sagebrush posted:

i had never heard of this mod so i looked it up and now i'm traumatized. thanks a lot

:confused::wtc: Why? Why would you do this?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
So since Monoprice discontinued the Delta Pro that I have I said gently caress it and took the plunge on updating the Lerdge control board firmware to 4.2.0 and restoring the configuration settings from a backup of said settings, running a hilarious bed-level routine now that has a 14 x 14 probe point grid then I'm going to dig into how to configure Linear Advance and make sure it's implemented while printing.

It does seem to run much more smoothly now, something about the bugged firmware Monoprice was installing on them not interpreting some settings correctly (no surprise there).

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Doctor Zero posted:

:confused::wtc: Why? Why would you do this?

I guess it makes sense if your bed really isn’t flat or your frame is warped, you’re trying to use variable height standoffs.

But won’t the vibrations cause your perfectly calibrated nuts to back off and go out of level? Some people are complaining about insane amounts of rattling and vibration and it’s like no poo poo you’re just floating on spinning nuts. You would need threadlocker or jam nuts which would defeat the whole purpose of variable height standoffs.

And then you’re just using some random dudes webpage to figure out if you’re level? Another person is complaining that the website returns random values even when they don’t adjust any nuts.

This seems like an enormous amount of time and effort when the problem is either a $30 steel sheet replacement or just letting it go.

mewse
May 2, 2006

space uncle posted:

But won’t the vibrations cause your perfectly calibrated nuts to back off and go out of level? Some people are complaining about insane amounts of rattling and vibration and it’s like no poo poo you’re just floating on spinning nuts. You would need threadlocker or jam nuts which would defeat the whole purpose of variable height standoffs.

The mod is stupid but nyloc nuts don't need threadlocker, the nylon insert grips the threads

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

mewse posted:

The mod is stupid but nyloc nuts don't need threadlocker, the nylon insert grips the threads

Oh whoops you’re right. I forgot those are the ones with the little insert. It’s even in the name!

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

space uncle posted:

This seems like an enormous amount of time and effort when the problem is either a $30 steel sheet replacement or just letting it go.

I feel like printer part manufacturers have done an excellent job of convincing users that there is just absolutely no way of guaranteeing a certain degree of flatness.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Welp said gently caress it and ordered the Epax E10-4k and when the 5k upgrade comes out I'll probably throw that in it. Here's looking forward to some larger resin size prints!

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I think my FEP sprung a leak somewhere, my print finished but there was resin dripping down the side of the printer. Big ups to whoever suggested secondary containment (I have it sitting on a cafeteria tray). Now to clean everything up, scrape cured resin off the screen, and fix my tank.

When replacing FEP, what should I use to make sure it's not too tight? Elegoo says to place a sponge under it before tightening, but I have no frame of reference for size/thickness - surely not a full size kitchen sponge?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Toebone posted:

I think my FEP sprung a leak somewhere, my print finished but there was resin dripping down the side of the printer. Big ups to whoever suggested secondary containment (I have it sitting on a cafeteria tray). Now to clean everything up, scrape cured resin off the screen, and fix my tank.

When replacing FEP, what should I use to make sure it's not too tight? Elegoo says to place a sponge under it before tightening, but I have no frame of reference for size/thickness - surely not a full size kitchen sponge?

I make a cardboard frame and staple the edges of the FEP to it. Works great.

Saw it in a YouTube

Here tis

https://youtu.be/9YY5MNZw_6w

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

mattfl posted:

Welp said gently caress it and ordered the Epax E10-4k and when the 5k upgrade comes out I'll probably throw that in it. Here's looking forward to some larger resin size prints!

I've had my E10 for a month or so now and absolutely love it. I was afraid I'd be kind of mad at myself for not holding out for a cheaper Saturn, but nope. Not disappointed in the least.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Acid Reflux posted:

I've had my E10 for a month or so now and absolutely love it. I was afraid I'd be kind of mad at myself for not holding out for a cheaper Saturn, but nope. Not disappointed in the least.

Are you planning on upgrading to the 5k/10” screen when available?

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

mattfl posted:

With a printer like this is there any reason to have home FDM anymore?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed
FDM has a much wider range of material options and the parts are stronger. It's also a lot more convenient and less messy.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Sagebrush posted:

FDM has a much wider range of material options and the parts are stronger. It's also a lot more convenient and less messy.

I thought consumer resins had reached ABS performance? That would be plenty for most applications.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

SchnorkIes posted:

Yes. Printing large terrain, while possible with an E10 is going to be a A LOT more expensive in resin that PLA.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

SchnorkIes posted:

I thought consumer resins had reached ABS performance? That would be plenty for most applications.

yeah but I can print PEEK at home :whatup:

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Yeah a resin printer really fails to print big stuff and structural stuff (unless your loving around with hardcore resins)

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

mattfl posted:

Are you planning on upgrading to the 5k/10” screen when available?

At this point, I honestly don't think so. So far I haven't wished anything that's come out of it looked any better than it already did, so I personally can't see dumping the money into it. If you're an absolute detail freak (and that's not an insult), the extra resolution may be something you want. I'm plenty fine with it as it sits though, the prop and costume stuff I've been doing doesn't really require individual-hair-level pixel density. :)

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

SchnorkIes posted:

From the perspective of an extreme resin newbie (I just bought my first one a few weeks ago since my FDM printers are always busy), the post-processing workflow is enough of a pain in the rear end that I can't imagine using it for the kind of functional/prototyping stuff that most people do on FDMs. Or really for anything other than miniatures, to be honest. Cleaning and curing large parts really seems like it'd just be a huge pain, and resin is pretty pricy, too.

But I'm also really new to resin printing so I could be way off base.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
I just don't know what to do with all the contaminated ipa. I try to avoid any process where I'm disposing of a solution like that honestly

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

SchnorkIes posted:

I just don't know what to do with all the contaminated ipa. I try to avoid any process where I'm disposing of a solution like that honestly

You can cure, filter, and continually reuse the IPA. That's what I've been doing, but it's another thing that just seems like it'd be a nightmare if I was printing as often as I do with FDM.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
If consumer money spend was not a huge concern, would those automated wash and cure things work for resin printers? I would like to be able to print, bust off supports, maybe do a quick water rinse, then immediately go to wash/cure and leave it hands off for the process in a sealed chamber. I see that they do get rather pricey, but I think I'm okay with that whenever I do set foot into resin land.

edit: work better or more efficiently than manual wash and cure, that is

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

aldantefax posted:

If consumer money spend was not a huge concern, would those automated wash and cure things work for resin printers? I would like to be able to print, bust off supports, maybe do a quick water rinse, then immediately go to wash/cure and leave it hands off for the process in a sealed chamber. I see that they do get rather pricey, but I think I'm okay with that whenever I do set foot into resin land.

edit: work better or more efficiently than manual wash and cure, that is

100%. It's streamlined my whole process a ton.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4FvWHkUu8M

I think I'm going to do the same upgrade on my BLV. Cheap to do, with significant weight savings.

Beaucoup Haram
Jun 18, 2005

The only thing I've ever printed is calibration tests and printer modifications with a few toys for the kids but here I am trying to talk myself into printing the voron ABS bits on my ender 3 and waiting for a kit to be available so I can lose 3 months building one of them.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Acid Reflux posted:

At this point, I honestly don't think so. So far I haven't wished anything that's come out of it looked any better than it already did, so I personally can't see dumping the money into it. If you're an absolute detail freak (and that's not an insult), the extra resolution may be something you want. I'm plenty fine with it as it sits though, the prop and costume stuff I've been doing doesn't really require individual-hair-level pixel density. :)

The 5k upgrade also comes with a larger printer area as well. 10.1" vs 8.9"

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

mattfl posted:

The 5k upgrade also comes with a larger printer area as well. 10.1" vs 8.9"

Ah, somehow I glossed right over that part! Now I'm going to change my answer to "maybe". The extra area definitely wouldn't suck.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Beaucoup Haram posted:

The only thing I've ever printed is calibration tests and printer modifications with a few toys for the kids but here I am trying to talk myself into printing the voron ABS bits on my ender 3 and waiting for a kit to be available so I can lose 3 months building one of them.

I'm moving in a few months and am super busy in the interim, but a voron build is on my radar for post move. Maybe second half of the year or the start of next? It seems like exactly the sort of misery I'd love.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Man, I'm glad I'm building a new printer because my old Taz can be frustrating. I think the original bed leveling system is garbage and I need to just spend a few hours to print out some of the upgraded solutions.

I will be printing parts fine for several days, and then I'll do a print with a larger footprint and I get zero bed adhesion. I think I may have jiggled the bed while cleaning up a previous print, so I'm going to have to go back and spend another half hour leveling it.

In addition, it feels like auto bed leveling when my BLTouch is 5cm away from the nozzle isn't particularly useful because it reduces the area it can measure in Marlin significantly because of how the logic works currently, it's something I hope a future update changes.

Oh well, at least more of my Voron parts are showing up. Still about $400 left of parts to order, but I've still got a good chunk to finish printing too

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:
The second gen Anycubic Wash N Cure is available for pre-order right now. First 1000 units are $169 instead of the $249 retai. Uncle Jesse just did a review last night and it looks like an amazing machine. Unfortunately I don't really have the space, or the absolute need for it right now, but if I didn't have anything else this would be the machine to get. It's bigger and has some nice QoL improvements over the first one.

https://www.anycubic.com/products/anycubic-wash-cure-plus-machine

Holy poo poo sold out in 8 minutes! :wow:

I guess I should have bought some.

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Apr 15, 2021

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

The second gen Anycubic Wash N Cure is available for pre-order right now. First 1000 units are $169 instead of the $249 retai. Uncle Jesse just did a review last night and it looks like an amazing machine. Unfortunately I don't really have the space, or the absolute need for it right now, but if I didn't have anything else this would be the machine to get. It's bigger and has some nice QoL improvements over the first one.

Sold out already :(

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Doctor Zero posted:

E: gently caress

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

Here's where I post that, in addition to getting a Mars 2 a couple of weeks ago to go along with the two OG Mars and the Anycubic Wash & Cure V1 that I already had, I recently took advantage of a bundle Anycubic had going for the Photon Mono and a Wash & Cure 2.0 (which will arrive tomorrow). I think I might be hooked on this whole "resin printing miniatures" thing, guys :ohdear:

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
Going from having a resin printer and filament printer to only having one will make you painfully aware of the subtle differences between the two. Sure they often can do the same things, but there is less overlap in what they can do easily.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Out of curiosity, what types of things are y'all printing? I just started this adventure. Have been using to prototype electronics enclosures with an Ender3 in PETG and ABS. Am considering using in early iterations of commercial projects to validate interest before injection molding. One of the projects is heat sensitive, so ABS may be the best bet. 2 are moisture sensitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Dominoes posted:

Out of curiosity, what types of things are y'all printing? I just started this adventure. Have been using to prototype electronics enclosures with an Ender3 in PETG and ABS. Am considering using in early iterations of commercial projects to validate interest before injection molding. One of the projects is heat sensitive, so ABS may be the best bet. 2 are moisture sensitive.

I print a ton of small repair parts for home goods. For example, my mother's food processor has a known defect where a small plastic part cracks and eventually breaks, rendering the bowl safety un-defeatable. I designed a new one, printed it in PETG, and printed half a dozen for her. If it ever fails again, she's got spares.

I print little brackets and clamp adapters for my wife. She's got scientific equipment that she needs to mount or hold, and there isn't anything off-the-shelf that works the way she wants. I've got several flex-filament clamp adapters that spend all summer underwater, holding a couple of different data loggers together.

Toys for friends' kids are always a hit, Christmas stoking stuffers, that poo poo.

Plus designs for my work. There are 30+ FDM electronics chassis of mine sitting on the seafloor, holding boards that log hydrothermal vent temperatures, and 6+ printed chassis parts for a GoPro system that are recording submersible/ROV surveys. A lot of it got turned into aluminum eventually, but the FDM parts are still in use in places, and they're invaluable for prototyping.